E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Headlights drop but never return to level?

07-20-2015, 06:45 AM   #1
dauble2k5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 VR E92 335i, 6MT

Headlights drop but never return to level?

Hey guys, I’ve started noticing my headlights at night are aiming down towards the ground and only illuminate the road to maybe 20’ in front of the car. I’ve read countless threads about adjusting them manually by means of the screws on top of the headlights, but this weekend I noticed something else.

I’ve noticed that when they first turn on, they drop, but never get back up to the level position. The passenger side will turn left to right with the steering wheel, however the left side does not appear to turn much at all. They’re level with each other, just not very high off the ground.

I’ve checked both leveling sensors on the driver’s side and both appear to be positioned correctly and fastened to the car.

It should be known the car had 19” wheels and I’ve reverted them back to the stock 18” wheels. This wouldn’t have the same effect as people who’ve lowered the car, would it?

Here’s a video. It’s a little hard to see the headlights dropping, but they drop and don’t cycle back up. If you look closely, you can see them kinda “dance” a bit and try to move up, but they simply don’t.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mp9zcGqlkOQ

This guy captures it well, his drop and return to level. Mine just stay down and dance a couple of times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smwt4KHOlEM

What are your thoughts? Leveling sensors bad? Headlights bad? Do they just need to be repositioned? Do you think the white ball has popped out of the back of the headlight? I noticed this after I swapped out my wheels.
Appreciate 0