E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Can I bend a silicone hose to my needs ?

07-17-2008, 01:35 PM   #1
e.n335
Austria
Rep
Drives: e93 ///M3 DCT, 07/2009

Can I bend a silicone hose to my needs ?

Hi,

I installed the Spearco FMIC and it seems I'm the only one who has a coolant device down there which causes an installation issue with the FMIC outlet pipe I solved by cutting it. The FMIC works perfect but I will install new silicone hoses and t-bold clamps due to the FMIC outlet pipe cutting. Is it possible to bend boost silicone hoses to my needs and if so, how do do it ( DIY preferred ) ?

Thanks,
Eugen
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2008, 01:49 PM   #2
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.n335 View Post
Hi,

I installed the Spearco FMIC and it seems I'm the only one who has a coolant device down there which causes an installation issue with the FMIC outlet pipe I solved by cutting it. The FMIC works perfect but I will install new silicone hoses and t-bold clamps due to the FMIC outlet pipe cutting. Is it possible to bend boost silicone hoses to my needs and if so, how do do it ( DIY preferred ) ?

Thanks,
Eugen
I dont think so Eugen.........they are preformed if i'm not mistaken, they have metal ribbing inside from the ones I have played with.

I'm sure you can source one off the net somewhere, just measure carefully.
      07-17-2008, 01:50 PM   #3
Alessandro
Major
Serbia
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5

Garage List
2011 335is  [9.50]
First off all make sure that you are using the right silicone Hose i would suggest that you use Platinum cured silicone hoses the advantage of platinum cured is the reduction of residue leftover from the curing process, a lower potential for leachables, chemical and oil resistant, and a smooth surface inside which is important for the flow rate.

Platinum Cured Hoses also withstands temperatures from –100°F (-73°C) to 400°F (204°C).

Bending:

typical a silicone hose i not recommended to be bend thats why carmanufacturer usually by custom made hoses for each individual application.

Hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2008, 02:02 PM   #4
e.n335
Austria
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniz View Post
I dont think so Eugen.........they are preformed if i'm not mistaken, they have metal ribbing inside from the ones I have played with.

I'm sure you can source one off the net somewhere, just measure carefully.
Thanks. I wanted to avoid another cutting of the FMIC outlet pipe cause cutting and cleaning the FMIC is a PITA. You work behind the air-filter there and any debris will see the engine and probably the turbos. Once I will get my parts ordered, I'll make pictures of the problem and the solution in case we will have a second similar issue.

Cheers,
Eugen
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2008, 02:23 PM   #5
e.n335
Austria
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessandro View Post
First off all make sure that you are using the right silicone Hose i would suggest that you use Platinum cured silicone hoses the advantage of platinum cured is the reduction of residue leftover from the curing process, a lower potential for leachables, chemical and oil resistant, and a smooth surface inside which is important for the flow rate.

Platinum Cured Hoses also withstands temperatures from –100°F (-73°C) to 400°F (204°C).

Bending:

typical a silicone hose i not recommended to be bend thats why carmanufacturer usually by custom made hoses for each individual application.

Hope this helps
Thank you for your feedback. I will use quality hoses from siliconhoses.com and turbonetics t-bold clamps. I heated up a test hose up to 650degC / 1200 degF using a hot-air gun and I have been able to bend it minimal but far away from my needs. The quality of the hose should not be impacted. I guess I have to cut the FMIC outlet-pipe once again and use a 45 degree elbow.
Appreciate 0