E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Indy "sticker shock" for auto trans service at 60K miles

02-14-2013, 09:28 PM   #1
chromisdesigns
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

Indy "sticker shock" for auto trans service at 60K miles

I stopped by my indy mechanic that I have used for years today to inquire about what the cost would be to have the auto transmission serviced on my 2008 335i -- talk about sticker shock!

They quoted me $900 to do the "complete" service -- 2 fluid changes with car driven in between to circulate more of the old fluid from the torque converter, new integrated pan/filter and gasket, and change the shaft seal while the pan is off.

$300 to just do a drain and refill.

Are these prices out of line? Generally, they are pretty reasonable in what they charge, but I was surprised by this quote.

I have just under 60K miles on the car, and will probably be keeping it for a while. My wife is thinking maybe just do nothing at all until 100K recommended fluid change, then do the whole job.

Any comments on the price or suggestions on which procedure to do, or just let it go until 100K, if we still have the car then.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 10:45 PM   #2
blingman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3er

$900 for a complete service for 2 fluid change and replacing the filter pan is average price. If you can do it yourself, would cost you about $350 for the parts and oil. Hard part is topping if off when its at the right temperature which I read on here letting the car idle for about 10 minutes.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 10:27 AM   #3
hurricane56
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromisdesigns View Post
I stopped by my indy mechanic that I have used for years today to inquire about what the cost would be to have the auto transmission serviced on my 2008 335i -- talk about sticker shock!

They quoted me $900 to do the "complete" service -- 2 fluid changes with car driven in between to circulate more of the old fluid from the torque converter, new integrated pan/filter and gasket, and change the shaft seal while the pan is off.

$300 to just do a drain and refill.

Are these prices out of line? Generally, they are pretty reasonable in what they charge, but I was surprised by this quote.

I have just under 60K miles on the car, and will probably be keeping it for a while. My wife is thinking maybe just do nothing at all until 100K recommended fluid change, then do the whole job.

Any comments on the price or suggestions on which procedure to do, or just let it go until 100K, if we still have the car then.
What shop did you go to in SF? Before I moved back to the bay, I had my trans fluid replaced for about $250. $300 doesn't seem completely out of tune with the area.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 10:42 AM   #4
///M3NACE
Banned
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E36 Vert , E90 N52

BMWs fluids are "lifetime"
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 11:05 AM   #5
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

lifetime of whom ? Certainly not mine. 100k seems to be lifetime for BMW.

Price is in the right ballpark. The oil itself cost a little fortune.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 11:40 AM   #6
rdeterman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Coupe 6mt

lifetime is a joke..
      02-15-2013, 11:42 AM   #7
///M3NACE
Banned
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E36 Vert , E90 N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeni View Post
lifetime of whom ? Certainly not mine. 100k seems to be lifetime for BMW.

Price is in the right ballpark. The oil itself cost a little fortune.
I was being funny when I said that. Yeah but they claim it to be lifetime. I don't have an auto so I just flush and refill.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 12:19 PM   #8
bender rodriguez
Banned
Rep
Drives: Audi

when do you service manual transmission?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 12:52 PM   #9
wasasailor
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i sedan

Smile automatic service

'07 e90 328i GM transmission;
On Tuesday, 13th. had my indy flush,drop pan,filter and fluid (Dexon V1) for
a tax included price of $367.00.
Stealership quoted $825.00 plus tax.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 12:59 PM   #10
RemovedUser
Rep
n/a
Drives:

You can't compare the ZF 335i transmission service cost to the GM one, the ZF fluid is really expensive like 30 a quart times 7 on average what is needed for service.

Not to mention the pan cost, if you get the BMW ZF branded one its 300, if you get the ZF non-BMW branded one its 110 (same exact part).

You can get the Pan+Gasket+ZF Lifeguard 6 fluid online for less then $300 and do it all yourself for a 335i.

I'm not sure what shaft seal they are talking about but most people also change the Mechatronic Sleeve (A sealing sleeve for the transmission electronics connector that leaks and requires you dropping the pan again to change it) while they are in there.

Its a really cheap part.

ZF themselves recommend changing the fluid at 60-80k if you drive your car aggressively I would believe the transmission manufacture over BMW's marketing team.

Lifetime fluid means 100k, you could easily wait that long on a softly driven 328i.

That price is high though, I would look at around $600 to get a shop to do it with pan(integrated filter) gasket and fluid and labor.

With a lift its a non-time consuming job.

Last edited by RemovedUser; 02-15-2013 at 01:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 01:42 PM   #11
chromisdesigns
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane56 View Post
What shop did you go to in SF? Before I moved back to the bay, I had my trans fluid replaced for about $250. $300 doesn't seem completely out of tune with the area.
Which transmission? Apparently, it makes a LOT of difference in the price. Shop is Bavarian Professionals over in Berkeley, who have maintained our cars ever since we moved here from DC. Note the price includes two drain/refills, to circulate the otherwise inaccessible fluid from the torque converter. They do not recommend the sometimes-seen "power dump" of fluid where a hose is attached to the drain, the engine started and put in gear, and the trans pumps out the fluid, because for a while, the transmission is running severely low on fluid. Some people / shops do it that way, though.

From what I understand, "flushing" a ZF transmission does not work well and is not recommended by anyone, including ZF.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 03:10 PM   #12
e90335imike
Rep
Drives: N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by index1489 View Post
You can't compare the ZF 335i transmission service cost to the GM one, the ZF fluid is really expensive like 30 a quart times 7 on average what is needed for service.

Not to mention the pan cost, if you get the BMW ZF branded one its 300, if you get the ZF non-BMW branded one its 110 (same exact part).

You can get the Pan+Gasket+ZF Lifeguard 6 fluid online for less then $300 and do it all yourself for a 335i.

I'm not sure what shaft seal they are talking about but most people also change the Mechatronic Sleeve (A sealing sleeve for the transmission electronics connector that leaks and requires you dropping the pan again to change it) while they are in there.

Its a really cheap part.

ZF themselves recommend changing the fluid at 60-80k if you drive your car aggressively I would believe the transmission manufacture over BMW's marketing team.

Lifetime fluid means 100k, you could easily wait that long on a softly driven 328i.

That price is high though, I would look at around $600 to get a shop to do it with pan(integrated filter) gasket and fluid and labor.

With a lift its a non-time consuming job.
Does anyone have a link to the ZF fluid change kit? I found it before but too lazy to search haha
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2013, 07:48 AM   #13
marine24
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chromisdesigns View Post
Which transmission? Apparently, it makes a LOT of difference in the price. Shop is Bavarian Professionals over in Berkeley, who have maintained our cars ever since we moved here from DC. Note the price includes two drain/refills, to circulate the otherwise inaccessible fluid from the torque converter. They do not recommend the sometimes-seen "power dump" of fluid where a hose is attached to the drain, the engine started and put in gear, and the trans pumps out the fluid, because for a while, the transmission is running severely low on fluid. Some people / shops do it that way, though.

From what I understand, "flushing" a ZF transmission does not work well and is not recommended by anyone, including ZF.
Unless they have drastically changed the way the torque converter works, you don't drain the fluid from it, just the transmission (you have to take the torque converter off to drain it seperately. Granted the only torque converters I've dealt with were on older GM trucks though). At the 50k mark you should be fine with just draining the fluid and replacing the filter; the fluid isn't that badly used to need the extra step of draining it twice. I did my e90 at 60k right before I sold it to my friend, and he hasn't had a single problem with it.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2013, 01:39 PM   #14
fun2drive
BMWCCA 149159
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 128i Vert/ 14 JGC Diesel

You have two choices for the ZF6HP21 transmission.
LG6
Mercon SP
Both are suitable for the transmission.
It is pointless to replace the pan at 60K miles unless you just wish to have peace of mind. That is a huge filter. All that needs to be done is to drain and refill the transmission, this will take a little over 5L so get 6L.
Here is a web site for the best price I know of on LG6 and the pan.
Any O'Reily's parts store can order Mercon SP for $5.99 a quart.
LG6 at about $18.00 a L.
http://www.thectsc.com/index.php?p=p...id=10&parent=0
Here is the kit you wanted
http://www.thectsc.com/index.php?p=c...&parent=7&pg=1
The reason I know that Mercon SP and LG6 is interchangeable is that ZF makes a similar transmission for Ford and also I sent samples of new LG6 and Mercon SP to Blackstone and their results confirmed that with the exception of order and color they could have come from the same batch of AFT. Many on this and other forums are using Mercon SP with no ill results...
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2013, 01:55 PM   #15
triger716
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '09 335i E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihsanshaik View Post
I was being funny when I said that. Yeah but they claim it to be lifetime. I don't have an auto so I just flush and refill.
No. They were being funny when they said that. (Fluids = Lifetime)
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2013, 02:08 PM   #16
bender rodriguez
Banned
Rep
Drives: Audi

Quote:
Originally Posted by triger716 View Post
No. They were being funny when they said that. (Fluids = Lifetime)
Most cars don't require changing of brake fluid, manual trans and rear diff.. Ever.. I have cars with 150k never changed them
Appreciate 0