E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Help... Possible Warranty Dispute

08-14-2009, 08:42 PM   #1
red.66mustang
Black.e90
United_States
Rep
Drives: 03 M3, 6MT, Carbon Blk/Cinnamn

Help... Possible Warranty Dispute

My car in the last 5 days develop a very disconcerting grinding sound/thunk in the rear suspension (sounds like a strut gone bad or muffler rubbing against something).

Took car to BMW this morning and took SA for ride to replicate noise, the minute we pulled out the the driveway it was audibly heard by both of us and continued until I circled the block. As I parked the car the noise continued and made the loudest noise I heard from the problem so far.

Got a call this afternoon stating that the Tech and him drove my car for a long distance and couldn't replicate the noise. Obviously I didn't accept this and told him that I don't want the car back until it is fixed because he had heard how bad the problem is when I drove with him.

He is now claiming that the issue may not be covered under warranty because the Tech thought the rear suspension looks to have been replaced and if it is due to this replacement will not be a warranty concern. The SA called me later saying that he looked at the suspension and it does not look to have been replaced and will talk to the tech and inquire why he thought so, but it still may not be covered under warranty.

I left the car there for the weekend and it will be worked on again on Monday. And was advised I would be informed should a repair cost over $100.

First, I bought the car from a BMW dealership in June 2008 with 12k miles as a CPO. In my ownership I have never had any thing on the car replaced, so the suspension replacement (if in fact replaced) was done before the car was sold to me and thus should be under warranty as advertised.

Second, any advice on what I should do in the event that on Monday they find the problem "is not a warranty concern" and they want me to pay for any labor or repairs.

Third, does this sound like it should be covered under warranty?

Last edited by red.66mustang; 08-14-2009 at 09:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 09:33 PM   #2
jimk
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i

If you haven't modified the suspension, you should be good to go. If th suspension was modified prior to you purchasing the car, they should never CPO it based on CPO rules. In my opinion they gave you some BS to see if you can pay them the full amount. BMW does not pay the dealer full listed price for warranty work. The tech does not make much money from warranty repairs either and there is a chance you may say "go for it" and pay for the full price repair yourself. I see these type of posts more and more in the boards recently which tell me that either BMW is tightening their belts with warranty work reimbursements or the dealers get more greedy.

Did you buy this car from them? Threaten legal action if not fixed under the warranty.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 09:47 PM   #3
red.66mustang
Black.e90
United_States
Rep
Drives: 03 M3, 6MT, Carbon Blk/Cinnamn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimk View Post
Did you buy this car from them? Threaten legal action if not fixed under the warranty.
No, I bought this car from another dealership out of state, but I own another BMW that we did buy from them new.