E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Diesel Chip Tuning

10-24-2011, 01:54 AM   #45
playwithonehand
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 435i GC

Garage List
2009 BMW 320d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by QLD View Post
So what happened?? Did you guys catch up last night??

I was expecting some feedback today with all the goss
Mr Luster delayed for one day and we doing tonight

Diesel pride is on the line here.
"SOLD"-09LCI-E90-320D-Black Sapphire Metallic- Superchip - OEM 189 wheel - City Vision Angel Eye - Matt Black Grill - K&N 57i Air Intake - XForce exhaust tip with Muffler delete - Eibach pro kit & Msport steering wheel, Yellow caliper BIG Thanks to bmroxm5 - Koni Yellow + e36 M3 Front bump stop/M-sport rear bump stop -Hankook V12
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 02:46 AM   #46
QLD
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 LCI E92 - Mineral White

hahahaa.. fooking love it!!

Can't wait for the feedback guys

..sweet torquin' diesel!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 04:38 AM   #47
Andrew@DTUK
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2011 Valencia Orange 1M

if i can offer you guys any advice it would be to try all 4 files and start on zero, then move up in stages to + 1 + 2 + 3

also, if you want to make youre petrols and diesels even quicker, check out

www.pedalbox.co.uk
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 05:22 AM   #48
QLD
Captain
Rep

Hey Andrew... is this new product a 'variation' of the SprintBooster?

cheers...

..sweet torquin' diesel!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 08:19 AM   #49
sbce90
Me Boosta
Australia
Rep
Drives: 320i / MB C63 / VW up!

so yeh. s#it went down with some diesels. I'm sure dave will provide us with an energetic overview of the nights events.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 10:32 AM   #50
playwithonehand
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 320d  [0.00]
We chose the hottest day of the season to do our test which sucks. 28c at night...

First impression.
So i started off by get into do Luster'car DTUK map1 +30%,did a few happy lap. Straightaway i felt what a difference in terms of smoothness and the responsiveness of the acceleration and it felt alot sharper than my car. From 10-30km felt alot quicker. The steering on the 2011 model is so much lighter than my 2009 model. But somehow i felt it doesn't not have the grunting torque feeling of my car.

Secondly
Then i started by getting into my car with Luster in my drive seat.
I felt wtf.....felt alot slower, very unresponsive and hesitant compare to Luster's car. The way his car delivery felt so smooth. But somehow i felt my car was alot slower than usual.

So i started by telling Luster that I been driving this car in super ultra turtle mode for this tank. I was trying to get 800km this tank for city driving. Pic below, never go passed 2000rpm and stayed 90% time below 1500rpm. I manage to achieve 273km using only 1/4 of tank in "CITY" driving
Since i been on turtle mode, bmw pause all power/responseness to suit my driving style to save fuel so it does take about 5-6 hard runs to bring it back to live.
Luster agrees with our last run felt good.

Thirdly
SBC and Riven went with Luster for happy lap then came back both told me she felt alot faster than my car.

Finally
Here comes the head to head drag race.
I felt like i am getting much better kick start maybe due to the wider rears 255 vs 225.
We had a few close launches but I manage to pull half a car length most of the run.
It felt very very weird as i was prepared to be left behind after driving his car.

Again its not a fair test as i have extras like K&N Air intake, Muffler delete and 18 tyres vs his 17 tyres.
Also i was advice the tune will eventually settle into your driving style after 5000km. So its too early to determine who's faster.
We will do against soon when we both ditch the run flats and get some new 18s. (My rear is at indicator)

I hate to say this but my car felt slower when you are in my passenger seat but she manage to beat pretty much anyone within limit in drag.

On the way home after many crazy runs, the car felt totally beasty again. It become very responsive. This is the same brute force feeling after i got the muffler delete done.
So Taymaishu's theory is right, harder you drive-faster it gets.

So to summarize it DTUK is a great product, initial throttle response and "super" smoothness of the power delivery is much better than Superchip. Its $450 cheaper than SC, plug & play unlike SC require remove/reprogramme the ECU therefore won't void your warranty. 15mins installation vs 3hours.

What DTUK missing is the kicking force of the superchip.
Does not achieve redline as easy as SC.
But i can not justify extra $500 for half second faster.
So if i have to choose again I would take DTUK.
Sorry Superchip, i still love you.
Attached Images

"SOLD"-09LCI-E90-320D-Black Sapphire Metallic- Superchip - OEM 189 wheel - City Vision Angel Eye - Matt Black Grill - K&N 57i Air Intake - XForce exhaust tip with Muffler delete - Eibach pro kit & Msport steering wheel, Yellow caliper BIG Thanks to bmroxm5 - Koni Yellow + e36 M3 Front bump stop/M-sport rear bump stop -Hankook V12

Last edited by playwithonehand; 10-24-2011 at 10:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 02:28 PM   #51
QLD
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by playwithonehand View Post
So to summarize it DTUK is a great product, initial throttle response and "super" smoothness of the power delivery is much better than Superchip. Its $450 cheaper than SC, plug & play unlike SC require remove/reprogramme the ECU therefore won't void your warranty. 15mins installation vs 3hours.

Pure gold... fantastic write up... money can't buy this sort of advertising!

A couple of comments:

Given that this tweaks the turbo boost AND the Injection system, I'm not really surprised to hear it gives a better result than the ECU remap.

You said that the big boot delivered by remap was not apparent with the DTUK.. but I'd suggest that was because you were running Map1. I read elsewhere Map 2 +20% -- Map 3 +20%, gives you that 'kick' and pull from 2k thru to 5k redline... so it's more a case of luster picking a new map setting.

Seems with this new 'plug and play' power booster we may have a new king in town, and at more than half the cost of a remap.

When I contacted Evolve the thieving f**ks wanted $1800 for a remap.. Superchips wanted $1000 - and here we can order a plug and play, non intrusive device that fits in 10 mins for $500 delivered..!!

Really appreciate lusters willingness to give this a good test and try out.. cheers mate

And PWOH - as always br0, your great write ups, detail and passion shines thru... thx for going head to head so others like me can get a balanced view of how each product performs... cheers

Curious to hear from luster and gain his observations... interesting thing is, I thought lusters car was new... and if it is like mine, it doesn't/didn't really start to loosen up and come alive until 5000kms.... so it will be curious to see how she performs then.

I still think Map 2 +20% will give that extra pull and kick PWOH was looking for.

Thx men - great work!!

..sweet torquin' diesel!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 03:53 PM   #52
Andrew@DTUK
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2011 Valencia Orange 1M

Quote:
Hey Andrew... is this new product a 'variation' of the SprintBooster?

cheers...
Yes, but it has 4 maps and you can also increase what the box gives you, in a similar manner to the crdt.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 06:52 PM   #53
luster
Major
Rep
Drives: e90, e88

After a 24 hour delay (sorry, clay barring and my first ever wax was just a little too irresistible to me - great workout too!) we finally got together.

The turnout was good, a little daunting to a forum newbie as myself, especially with the bold claims of my diesel tuner.

It was good to meet a bunch of the forum members and it was awesome to get to drive everybodies car. Such a willingness to share and it was a great thing to be apart of.

It wasn't until the very end of the night that I realised I had been in every car EXCEPT playwithonehands! This HAD to change.

So we did a few happy laps in the tuned car and it felt good. It is a major improvement on stock and his car has a great sound to it. The power is obvious, but a little clumsy. You can certainly feel the power there and that it WANTS to go, but there seems to be a little hesitation, it just isn't as smooth as what you would imagine a remap to be.

My car did 'feel' a little smoother and you can feel the power through each gear.

The consensus was that my car was faster and smoother throughout the whole night....

until we went head-to-head

I got hammered in each run. Yes, only slightly, but hammered none-the-less. I blame my weight and the dead body in the boot. It wasn't just one run, it was every run. We would start off strong, but a few seconds into the run PWOH's car would scream ahead.

PWOH was kind enough to offer excuses for me, and I appreciate it Grip, Intake, Muffler - all these things my car was lacking were obvious reasons to be beat.

I guess next time, time will tell.

It was a great night and I'm glad we did it! I'll organise a group buy soon and get some more diesels onboard!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 07:00 PM   #54
luster
Major
Rep

notes on a 330D.

A few people have been saying that buying a 330D is a waste of time and money due to the tuning options and ECU maps that make a 320D comparable (and faster in some cases).

I was speaking with a 330D owner last night who thought the extra money was a bit of a waste compared to playwithonehand and my car.

Now, just to put it in perspective, here are the performance gains that can be had with the same diesel tuner as mine, in a 330D!

Car 330 D E90 231 Ps Stage 2 (crd-t)
Stock Power: 170KW (231 BHP)
Tuned Power: 207KW (280 BHP)

Difference: 37KW (49 BHP)

Stock Torque: 520 Nm
Tuned Torque: 620 Nm

Difference: 100Nm

So 330D owners, there is absolutely no reason to be down - once you tune your car, your power gains are out-of-this-world.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 07:07 PM   #55
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep
Drives: a black car

sorry I couldn't make it, was finishing an assignment!

Did you do any timed 0-100 runs?

Next up we need a tuned 330d!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 07:08 PM   #56
nosmash
Private
Rep
Drives: an oil burner

Quote:
Originally Posted by luster View Post
After a 24 hour delay (sorry, clay barring and my first ever wax was just a little too irresistible to me - great workout too!) we finally got together.

The turnout was good, a little daunting to a forum newbie as myself, especially with the bold claims of my diesel tuner.

It was good to meet a bunch of the forum members and it was awesome to get to drive everybodies car. Such a willingness to share and it was a great thing to be apart of.

It wasn't until the very end of the night that I realised I had been in every car EXCEPT playwithonehands! This HAD to change.

So we did a few happy laps in the tuned car and it felt good. It is a major improvement on stock and his car has a great sound to it. The power is obvious, but a little clumsy. You can certainly feel the power there and that it WANTS to go, but there seems to be a little hesitation, it just isn't as smooth as what you would imagine a remap to be.

My car did 'feel' a little smoother and you can feel the power through each gear.

The consensus was that my car was faster and smoother throughout the whole night....

until we went head-to-head

I got hammered in each run. Yes, only slightly, but hammered none-the-less. I blame my weight and the dead body in the boot. It wasn't just one run, it was every run. We would start off strong, but a few seconds into the run PWOH's car would scream ahead.

PWOH was kind enough to offer excuses for me, and I appreciate it Grip, Intake, Muffler - all these things my car was lacking were obvious reasons to be beat.

I guess next time, time will tell.

It was a great night and I'm glad we did it! I'll organise a group buy soon and get some more diesels onboard!

great write-up and comparo. i've been thinking about getting DTUK since i also have a 320d. thanks for convincing me.

I'm in for the group buy!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 07:27 PM   #57
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep
Drives: a sleeper

Saying a 330d is pointless is like saying the 35d is pointless....tune any diesel engine and the hierarchy is maintained.

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 08:57 PM   #58
playwithonehand
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 320d  [0.00]
Quote:

And PWOH - as always br0, your great write ups, detail and passion shines thru... thx for going head to head so others like me can get a balanced view of how each product performs... cheers

I thought lusters car was new... and if it is like mine, it doesn't/didn't really start to loosen up and come alive until 5000kms.... so it will be curious to see how she performs then.

I still think Map 2 +20% will give that extra pull and kick PWOH was looking for.

Thx men - great work!!
Thanks mate, passion about our cars as usual.
We totally forgot about changing Map2 +30%
But i believe his cars had 10,000+km on it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by luster View Post

It was a great night and I'm glad we did it!
Thanks for coming mate and share your view.
LOL sorry about that, you can take it for a spin anytime mate.
Next time we play around with the maps using G-Tec to find out the fastest map.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmroxm5 View Post
Did you do any timed 0-100 runs?

Next up we need a tuned 330d!
Best run was 6.7 sec in the heat/bold rear tyre which is not bad for a 2litre

+100 on a tuned 330d!
Now that it doesn't void your warranty and its plug & play.... what are you waiting for Arronn?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 09:13 PM   #59
pcockley
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335

6.7 from a 2l nok nok. shit i might have to change my view or get some ear plugs
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 09:26 PM   #60
luster
Major
Rep

Quote:
But i believe his cars had 10,000+km on it?
Just shy of 5000.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 09:56 PM   #61
Rivenscyr
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: muzza-tastic cruiser

@ Luster. Thanks for researching the gains, totes forgot to look when i got home.

@ everyone else - So who's buying me the chip as a chrissy/bday present? Not willing to provide sexual favours
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 10:12 PM   #62
pcockley
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivenscyr View Post
Not willing to provide sexual favours
Ok so let the negotiations begin...

1. Do you have a girlfriend?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 10:30 PM   #63
Rivenscyr
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcockley View Post
Ok so let the negotiations begin...

1. Do you have a girlfriend?
No I dont.

I have already stated i will not provide sexual favours, I assumed this would rule out you buying me anything.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 10:46 PM   #64
pcockley
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivenscyr View Post
No I dont.

I have already stated i will not provide sexual favours, I assumed this would rule out you buying me anything.
Hey Don't get upset, no one asked for any sexual favours from you!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 10:56 PM   #65
Rivenscyr
Captain
Australia
Rep

I feel...

Un-wanted
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2011, 12:02 AM   #66
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep
Drives: a sleeper

Quote:
We chose the hottest day of the season to do our test which sucks. 28c at night...

First impression.
So i started off by get into do Luster'car DTUK map1 +30%,did a few happy lap. Straightaway i felt what a difference in terms of smoothness and the responsiveness of the acceleration and it felt alot sharper than my car. From 10-30km felt alot quicker. The steering on the 2011 model is so much lighter than my 2009 model. But somehow i felt it doesn't not have the grunting torque feeling of my car.

Secondly
Then i started by getting into my car with Luster in my drive seat.
I felt wtf.....felt alot slower, very unresponsive and hesitant compare to Luster's car. The way his car delivery felt so smooth. But somehow i felt my car was alot slower than usual.

So i started by telling Luster that I been driving this car in super ultra turtle mode for this tank. I was trying to get 800km this tank for city driving. Pic below, never go passed 2000rpm and stayed 90% time below 1500rpm. I manage to achieve 273km using only 1/4 of tank in "CITY" driving
Since i been on turtle mode, bmw pause all power/responseness to suit my driving style to save fuel so it does take about 5-6 hard runs to bring it back to live.
Luster agrees with our last run felt good.

Thirdly
SBC and Riven went with Luster for happy lap then came back both told me she felt alot faster than my car.

Finally
Here comes the head to head drag race.
I felt like i am getting much better kick start maybe due to the wider rears 255 vs 225.
We had a few close launches but I manage to pull half a car length most of the run.
It felt very very weird as i was prepared to be left behind after driving his car.

Again its not a fair test as i have extras like K&N Air intake, Muffler delete and 18 tyres vs his 17 tyres.
Also i was advice the tune will eventually settle into your driving style after 5000km. So its too early to determine who's faster.
We will do against soon when we both ditch the run flats and get some new 18s. (My rear is at indicator)

I hate to say this but my car felt slower when you are in my passenger seat but she manage to beat pretty much anyone within limit in drag.

On the way home after many crazy runs, the car felt totally beasty again. It become very responsive. This is the same brute force feeling after i got the muffler delete done.
So Taymaishu's theory is right, harder you drive-faster it gets.

What DTUK missing is the kicking force of the superchip.
Does not achieve redline as easy as SC.
But i can not justify extra $500 for half second faster.
You can simply reset the adaptations without the need to drive like a maniac - ignition on and hold the accelerator pedal down for 15 seconds.

Also, rather than comparing with drag races on the street, bring both cars in to Advan on the Nov 12 dyno day and see who is truly producing more power. Setting the DTUK one to stock will provide a good baseline for comparison to see the actual gains.

Quote:

A couple of comments:

Given that this tweaks the turbo boost AND the Injection system, I'm not really surprised to hear it gives a better result than the ECU remap.

You said that the big boot delivered by remap was not apparent with the DTUK.. but I'd suggest that was because you were running Map1. I read elsewhere Map 2 +20% -- Map 3 +20%, gives you that 'kick' and pull from 2k thru to 5k redline... so it's more a case of luster picking a new map setting.

Seems with this new 'plug and play' power booster we may have a new king in town, and at more than half the cost of a remap.

When I contacted Evolve the thieving f**ks wanted $1800 for a remap.. Superchips wanted $1000 - and here we can order a plug and play, non intrusive device that fits in 10 mins for $500 delivered..!!

Really appreciate lusters willingness to give this a good test and try out.. cheers mate

Curious to hear from luster and gain his observations... interesting thing is, I thought lusters car was new... and if it is like mine, it doesn't/didn't really start to loosen up and come alive until 5000kms.... so it will be curious to see how she performs then.

Thx men - great work!!
Any diesel tune that tweaks boost should by definition tweak the injection system. You can't have more boost without more fuel. Tuning a diesel is also different from a petrol, whereas a petrol tune controls the amount of air entering the engine, a diesel is dependent on the amount of fuel being injected. Air is just something that gets sucked in during the process.

An ECU remap will always be better than a simple plug n play system in terms of what it can vary.

You boys might want to invest in a BT scanning tool to read any codes that might come up during driving. Given the amount of extra power the plug n play option is potentially giving the 20d engine, I can almost guarantee there are BMW tuner shadow codes being recorded on your DMEs. Warranty voidance on the next service unless you clear those hidden codes with the BT.

The JBD came with a CAN tool to clear and suppress tuner codes - something that is definitely needed if you are upping the power of any BMW engine.

Dave have you been into service with your superchip? That definitely won't make it past a simple diagnostic.

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black
Appreciate 0