E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Just got car - recommended first steps?

07-18-2009, 11:10 AM   #1
xtac
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F80 Comp

Just got car - recommended first steps?

just took delivery of aw/sb 09 e92. I was recommended to do the meguiars 3 step process, but skip step 1, and just wash - 1 coat polish, 2 coat wax.

Just thought I'd ask the experts here.

ps, i have no cover/garage.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2009, 07:54 PM   #2
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

Congrats on the new car!

There's really no "right answer" to your question, but you may want to start by stripping any current protection from the car (using a highly concentrated soap mix during your hand wash). You should then clay, and possibly do a light polish followed by a sealant for protection and then a wax.

Here's some products to get you started. Again, there's lots of room for other options and opinions here:

CG Citrus Wash & Gloss (soap, strip current products off paint).
Clay Magic Fine Clay Bar (remember you will need a lube too, ONR works well).
Menzerna FMJ Sealant (for protection; Optimum OptiSeal and CG JetSeal are also good).
PB Natty's Red Wax (awesome wax for lighter colors at a great price; could also consider Dodo Juice options).

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2009, 09:52 PM   #3
FMINUS
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: FMINUSDETAIL@gmail.com

Detox, clay, polish, seal, then wax!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2009, 10:25 PM   #4
xtac
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopa489 View Post
Congrats on the new car!

There's really no "right answer" to your question, but you may want to start by stripping any current protection from the car (using a highly concentrated soap mix during your hand wash). You should then clay, and possibly do a light polish followed by a sealant for protection and then a wax.

Here's some products to get you started. Again, there's lots of room for other options and opinions here:

CG Citrus Wash & Gloss (soap, strip current products off paint).
Clay Magic Fine Clay Bar (remember you will need a lube too, ONR works well).
Menzerna FMJ Sealant (for protection; Optimum OptiSeal and CG JetSeal are also good).
PB Natty's Red Wax (awesome wax for lighter colors at a great price; could also consider Dodo Juice options).
Woah, gotta get used to taking care of this baby, usually I just take cares to the $10 car wash

I'm a little hesitant to do anything right now, i'll read up a little more last thing I want to do is mess things up by putting too much or too little or completely ruin it some how. I need the right tools, sponges, cloths, etc.. or maybe I should just find someone to do it for me... and I could just maintain it..
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2009, 09:21 AM   #5
PsychoSlug
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

I just purchased the Zaino Ultimate Protection system and followed it this past weekend on my new E90. It turned out great and was very easy to use:

Wash with Dawn
Z-18 clay using Z-7 and water mist as a lubricant
Wash with Z-7
Z-2 PRO mixed with ZFX (three coats)
Z-6 gloss enhancer between each coat
Z-16 on the tires

The Space Gray really has a glossy shine now. Today is the first sunny day since I detailed it, so I'm looking forward to seeing how it looks.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2009, 12:05 PM   #6
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtac View Post
Woah, gotta get used to taking care of this baby, usually I just take cares to the $10 car wash

I'm a little hesitant to do anything right now, i'll read up a little more last thing I want to do is mess things up by putting too much or too little or completely ruin it some how. I need the right tools, sponges, cloths, etc.. or maybe I should just find someone to do it for me... and I could just maintain it..
Many people find it rewarding to really take care of a car like a true professional. Understandably, not all of us have the time though. If you decide to take it somewhere, do yourself a favor and research their experience and see what others have to say. Nothing is worse than taking your baby to a hack - and unfortunately we see it all the time around here.

Autopia is probably the largest forum dedicated to detailing, you can really learn a lot there. DI also has a very nice knowledge base that outlines the basics of each step of a full professional detail.

As long as you read the labels and understand the function of the products you're using, you won't do any harm. Polishing, in my opinion, requires the most skill and experience to get right. There are a lot of products out there and using a power tool on your new car is intimidating. If you're purchasing a PC or Flex, it would be a good idea to practice on another car or even some pieces from a junkyard.

You could skip the polish for now. It's more important to give it a good wash/clay and apply some nice protection on there.

X7 LCI // Incoming
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2009, 04:45 PM   #7
1N54E92
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM F30 M-Sport

take it to a qualified detailer, Phil?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2009, 04:54 PM   #8
xtac
Captain
United_States
Rep

Phil who? contact info?

Also, you said remove the current protection I was told there is no protection since it is new.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2009, 05:09 PM   #9
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtac View Post
Phil who? contact info?

Also, you said remove the current protection I was told there is no protection since it is new.
He's referring to Phil from Detailer's Domain. They are a sponsor of this board, and Phil is kind enough to document and share the work he and his team perform on all kinds of vehicles. He's from the NY/NJ area so if you want the job done right, he's your guy.

You can see some of his work here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/search...archid=8640379

As for protection, there is something on the car now since (presumably) it was prepped for you at the dealer. Unless you ask them explicitly to not touch the paint (and you don't mind taking delivery of a filthy car), they have already washed and waxed it. Before you go applying your own clay, polish, sealant, and wax, you need to remove whatever the dealer put on there.

X7 LCI // Incoming
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2009, 05:43 PM   #10
xtac
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopa489 View Post
He's referring to Phil from Detailer's Domain. They are a sponsor of this board, and Phil is kind enough to document and share the work he and his team perform on all kinds of vehicles. He's from the NY/NJ area so if you want the job done right, he's your guy.

You can see some of his work here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/search...archid=8640379

As for protection, there is something on the car now since (presumably) it was prepped for you at the dealer. Unless you ask them explicitly to not touch the paint (and you don't mind taking delivery of a filthy car), they have already washed and waxed it. Before you go applying your own clay, polish, sealant, and wax, you need to remove whatever the dealer put on there.

Thanks for clearing that up.
Appreciate 0