E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Does Wax Go Bad???

03-17-2010, 09:21 AM   #1
catch
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Does Wax Go Bad???

I found an amazing deal on the wax I love; Dodo Juice Purple Haze, Blue Velvet and Diamond White. Just curious how long these products can last without being opened?
If I store them in the fridge, how long will these last?
I dont want to purchase a few jars of this stuff and have it be un-useable when I open it up.

Any imput here would be great!
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2010, 09:29 AM   #2
ToadHollow
Once upon a time ......
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB E92 - SOLD 5/2010

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by catch View Post
I found an amazing deal on the wax I love; Dodo Juice Purple Haze, Blue Velvet and Diamond White. Just curious how long these products can last without being opened?
If I store them in the fridge, how long will these last?
I dont want to purchase a few jars of this stuff and have it be un-useable when I open it up.

Any imput here would be great!
Thanks
As long as they're kept in a cool storage area, properly sealed and not left in higher temps for extended amounts of time .......... they'll see you into retirement age.

Appreciate 0
      03-17-2010, 09:54 AM   #3
catch
Major General
Canada
Rep

Thanks for the quick reply Tony!
Is there a temp that is too cold for them? Would you recommend I keep them in the fridge? or in the cold celar room (which is a little warmer typically then the fridge)

p.s. its getting warmer out here, I'll pm you with the info on the pads when i actually break out the pc
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2010, 10:51 AM   #4
ToadHollow
Once upon a time ......
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB E92 - SOLD 5/2010

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by catch View Post
Thanks for the quick reply Tony!
Is there a temp that is too cold for them? Would you recommend I keep them in the fridge? or in the cold celar room (which is a little warmer typically then the fridge)

p.s. its getting warmer out here, I'll pm you with the info on the pads when i actually break out the pc
No worries man

I would say the cellar would be fine, however room temp is always safe as long as it's 60-75 F you shouldn't have any problems.

I'm going in a different direction with lots if things on my end & will be leaving detailing as a hobby with focus being on a new business. I'll take the pads though .... never hurts to gave too many!

Appreciate 0
      03-17-2010, 12:10 PM   #5
stimpy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Surely there's a cabinet somewhere in the house you can toss your detailing stuff In the washroom, or really high/low back deep in a hall closet or something.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2010, 09:43 PM   #6
catch
Major General
Canada
Rep

I was under the impression that I should be keeping the wax in a cold place liek the fridge over leaving it at room temperature...

Is room temperature better then a cold place??
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2010, 10:03 PM   #7
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

I keep all my stuff in the basement, which is usually 60-65 degrees (maybe 70 in the late summer). Never had an issue, but am curious about the refrigeration idea too.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2010, 04:48 AM   #8
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

Storage Temperature (Product)

[Store waxes and glazes in a cool dark place preferably refrigerated. Warm them to room temperature overnight before use] Zymöl Storing products in a refrigerator or wine cooler adds to the elitist or exclusivity factor, as far as the contents are concerned it has no merit from a chemical standpoint
Water-based car care products should not be stored at temperatures below 35 - 40oF, if they freeze they may become unstable and therefore unusable, ideal storage temperature range- 50- 75oF with an average humidity range. Most car care products have a ‘useful life’ of approximately 2-3 years provided they are stored as above.

Do not store at temperature extremes (below 40 – over 80.0F +) as heat will destabilise emulsified products (wax, polymer sealants, polishes, etc) and avoid extreme temperature swings as the chemicals will become unstable, which will create problems with the performance of the product. Some separate out; others lose their effectiveness if they are heated past a certain point. Most car care products (including Polymers) will separate and may become unusable after being subjected to freezing temperatures

The chemical composition of waxes rarely ever change regardless of what form it is in, whether it is melted to a semi-liquid or remains as a semi-solid. Temperature has little to no effect as far as inhibiting the shelf life of wax, a cool temperatures and constant humidity will slow the evaporation of solvents from the wax, thus keeping the wax softer and easier to use over a longer period of time.

Shelf-Life

a) Polymers have a shelf life of approx 3-5 years if kept in their original containers and stored at temperatures as above

b) Polish - technically 2 years, however if bottle is kept closed, and the product has not separated, there would be no problem with use for four years after sale date.

c) Waxes - will last almost indefinitely, provided that they are stored a sealed in their original containers and in the refrigerator or controlled environment once opened. The liquids should last 18 months if stored at normal room temperature.

d) If product emulsion separates it could be indicative of age (but not necessarily past its useful life) shake vigorously for 5-10 minutes and see if the product re- mixes.

Product shelf life may vary from one manufacturer to another, if in doubt check with product mfg or vendor.

An extract from one of a series of unbiased Detailing Technical Papers, a library of educational materials that has become the #1 reference for car care on the Internet

Chances are you'll learn something about detailing if you read any of these; although these articles will not improve your detailing skills, lead to a successful business or change your life. Applying what you learn from it, however, will. That's where your commitment comes in - you need to make a commitment to yourself right now that you will take action on what you learn

© TOGWT ™ Ltd Copyright 2002-2010, all rights reserved
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2010, 12:14 AM   #9
catch
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGWT View Post
Storage Temperature (Product)

[Store waxes and glazes in a cool dark place preferably refrigerated. Warm them to room temperature overnight before use] Zymöl Storing products in a refrigerator or wine cooler adds to the elitist or exclusivity factor, as far as the contents are concerned it has no merit from a chemical standpoint
Water-based car care products should not be stored at temperatures below 35 - 40oF, if they freeze they may become unstable and therefore unusable, ideal storage temperature range- 50- 75oF with an average humidity range. Most car care products have a ‘useful life’ of approximately 2-3 years provided they are stored as above.

Do not store at temperature extremes (below 40 – over 80.0F +) as heat will destabilise emulsified products (wax, polymer sealants, polishes, etc) and avoid extreme temperature swings as the chemicals will become unstable, which will create problems with the performance of the product. Some separate out; others lose their effectiveness if they are heated past a certain point. Most car care products (including Polymers) will separate and may become unusable after being subjected to freezing temperatures

The chemical composition of waxes rarely ever change regardless of what form it is in, whether it is melted to a semi-liquid or remains as a semi-solid. Temperature has little to no effect as far as inhibiting the shelf life of wax, a cool temperatures and constant humidity will slow the evaporation of solvents from the wax, thus keeping the wax softer and easier to use over a longer period of time.

Shelf-Life

a) Polymers have a shelf life of approx 3-5 years if kept in their original containers and stored at temperatures as above

b) Polish - technically 2 years, however if bottle is kept closed, and the product has not separated, there would be no problem with use for four years after sale date.

c) Waxes - will last almost indefinitely, provided that they are stored a sealed in their original containers and in the refrigerator or controlled environment once opened. The liquids should last 18 months if stored at normal room temperature.

d) If product emulsion separates it could be indicative of age (but not necessarily past its useful life) shake vigorously for 5-10 minutes and see if the product re- mixes.

Product shelf life may vary from one manufacturer to another, if in doubt check with product mfg or vendor.

An extract from one of a series of unbiased Detailing Technical Papers, a library of educational materials that has become the #1 reference for car care on the Internet

Chances are you'll learn something about detailing if you read any of these; although these articles will not improve your detailing skills, lead to a successful business or change your life. Applying what you learn from it, however, will. That's where your commitment comes in - you need to make a commitment to yourself right now that you will take action on what you learn

© TOGWT ™ Ltd Copyright 2002-2010, all rights reserved
awesome!!!
thanks!
Appreciate 0