E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY: Replacing DSC Hydro Unit E90, E92

03-01-2016, 09:30 PM   #89
nitehawk
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6MT

Garage List
When you disconnect the lines from the DSC unit, how much fluid loss is expected? i.e, will it just drip or is it going to gush out and catch me in the eye ?

Last edited by nitehawk; 03-01-2016 at 10:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 04:59 AM   #90
deepsrd
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitehawk View Post
When you disconnect the lines from the DSC unit, how much fluid loss is expected? i.e, will it just drip or is it going to gush out and catch me in the eye ?
It will just drip.. It will not be much to worry about..

Wear gloves!

In Progress:
Surround View Retrofit 8TH
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 11:45 PM   #91
nitehawk
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsrd View Post
It will just drip.. It will not be much to worry about..

Wear gloves!
Thanks. Also, how difficult is it to move the brake lines out of the way to remove the module? Is it going to require some careful articulation?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 04:16 AM   #92
deepsrd
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. Also, how difficult is it to move the brake lines out of the way to remove the module? Is it going to require some careful articulation?
The brake lines will come in your way, but they are strong enough that you can wiggle it around.. Just pull the module upwards, and push the brakes lines away from the unit..

You will need to use some force, but you wont break anything..

In Progress:
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 01:11 AM   #93
Boosted614
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N55

Ok got a question for you guys, I have a 07 335i and have had my abs pump give up. Now I've been looking at eBay and replacement units and was going to just switch pumps so no reprogramming was needed, but I can't seem to find any with the same part number as mine.

Can anyone tell me if all the black 2wd pumps are the same or do they differ? I'm curious if I can swap one of the other pumps onto mine, I've even looked on ecs and my part number is no place to be found?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 04:59 AM   #94
deepsrd
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Newer part numbers are fine..
If u get the same part number, u will have the same issue..
Just get one from the same kind of car as u.. Engine size and cylinder..
Then it is a straight swap..
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 11:10 AM   #95
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

I got the lights 2 years ago, ignored them for a few weeks, and luckily, they went away! Until last week. So I'm afraid I might have a permanent problem and have to bite the bullet finally and track it down.

From what I have read, the lights could be a result of a few things, not all of which are the DSC unit gone bad: it could be the ABS pump, steering sensor, or the wheel speed sensors. Typically codes 5DF0 (pump) and 5DF1 (control module) show up.

Anything to add?

Have you guys been pulling codes off first to diagnose what it is? What have you been seeing?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 10:24 PM   #96
Boosted614
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsrd View Post
Newer part numbers are fine..
If u get the same part number, u will have the same issue..
Just get one from the same kind of car as u.. Engine size and cylinder..
Then it is a straight swap..
Ok so I'm ok to order one from a 2010-2011 as long as it is a rwd and 335i? Didn't know if n54 vs n55 mattered with these, they do look the same and just wanted to be safe and double check.

I am just swapping pumps and keeping module from my car.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 07:34 AM   #97
deepsrd
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted614 View Post
Ok so I'm ok to order one from a 2010-2011 as long as it is a rwd and 335i? Didn't know if n54 vs n55 mattered with these, they do look the same and just wanted to be safe and double check.

I am just swapping pumps and keeping module from my car.
I got mine from a 2010 car. My car was from 2007, so it was from a newer engine, (mine is an N52)

So, in theory it should work..

In Progress:
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2016, 02:38 PM   #98
nitehawk
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
DIY was a success!

Hi guys,

So I finally got around to doing this last week and everything went smoothly.

I decided to buy a used unit and swap it over. It was the most economical option for me with no downtime.

One thing I would like to clarify for those looking for a used unit...dont worry about the part number. That will vary based on vehicle model since the DSC ECU software varies accordingly. However, ALL E9X non-xi DSC pumps are the same. Similarly all E9X xi DSC pumps are the same. I own a 2007 E92 335i non-xi and got a used unit from an 06 325i non-xi.

I found the following video posted by Aveman that was super helpful in doing the work by myself.

Cheers!
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      04-24-2016, 02:29 PM   #99
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Hi guys,

So I finally got around to doing this last week and everything went smoothly.

I decided to buy a used unit and swap it over. It was the most economical option for me with no downtime.

One thing I would like to clarify for those looking for a used unit...dont worry about the part number. That will vary based on vehicle model since the DSC ECU software varies accordingly. However, ALL E9X non-xi DSC pumps are the same. Similarly all E9X xi DSC pumps are the same. I own a 2007 E92 335i non-xi and got a used unit from an 06 325i non-xi.

I found the following video posted by Aveman that was super helpful in doing the work by myself.

Cheers!
Good stuff. Can you share details of where you got it, how much you paid? I see you're in Canada.

Also, I thought when you replace the module, coding's required?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 09:39 AM   #100
nitehawk
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post
Good stuff. Can you share details of where you got it, how much you paid? I see you're in Canada.

I actually sourced it from ebay, cost just under $200 I got a good deal. At first, I tried searching on car-part.com but for the life of me couldn't find it there.

If you just swap the DSC pump and keep the original ECU, no coding needed. Lights went away within a minute after I started it up again :-)
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 11:17 AM   #101
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I actually sourced it from ebay, cost just under $200 I got a good deal. At first, I tried searching on car-part.com but for the life of me couldn't find it there.

If you just swap the DSC pump and keep the original ECU, no coding needed. Lights went away within a minute after I started it up again :-)
Well done. Thanks.

In my case, when I managed to scan the code, I saw it's a 5DB2 - wheel speed sensor rear left periodic fault. So I'm hoping it's not the pump or the module.

I pulled the sensor and cleaned it up, but I still get the code. So now I have bought a new sensor (OEM part # 34526870077) and I'm going to install it, and see how it goes. I'm hoping it's not the wheel bearings, as I've only got 40,000 miles on the car.

BTW, the part costs $140 CDN from dealer, and I found the ATE equivalent 360118 / 24.0711-5191.3 / W0133-2039272, from FCP Euro for $40 US shipped to Canada.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 10:45 AM   #102
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Mine is still out for repair, but getting closer. I noticed that by using those rubber shelf caps, they've swelled up and have wetness. However, putting a piece of cardboard under the lines, there is no dripping, so I guess the fluid is just on the outside of the caps.

One good tip I came across was to use a magnet to put the nuts back on, so as to not drop--that is a great tip esp. for the one you can't reach.

I did turn on my ignition to grab the mileage, and the car went berserk. Wipers on full blast and a slew of other codes thrown, incl. climate blah blah blah. Imho it's because the ABS module has been removed and is not there.....
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 10:48 AM   #103
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:

have you considered getting yours repaired for $250 USD? The only difference is downtime, but you could overnight it there, and pay for overnight back, to minimize....imho it's money better spent than on a used one which will have the issue anyway eventually. As I understand it, it's a design flaw, corrected by the repair.

edit: nevermind I see you didn't have the classic 5DF0 and 5DF1 to being with....
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 12:39 PM   #104
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
have you considered getting yours repaired for $250 USD? The only difference is downtime, but you could overnight it there, and pay for overnight back, to minimize....imho it's money better spent than on a used one which will have the issue anyway eventually. As I understand it, it's a design flaw, corrected by the repair.

edit: nevermind I see you didn't have the classic 5DF0 and 5DF1 to being with....
Thanks, that's what I would have done, had it been my pump/module. Before fixing, every time I restarted the car and drove off, they would stay off until about 20 MPH, but then come on consistently.

After replacing the wheel sensor, I drove the car for a bit, and the lights stayed off, so I got really excited that I'd fixed it for good. I only drove it around the block up to 40 MPH though.

Then I got on the highway, and they came back on... This has happened now like 5 times at least over a few days. They stay off until about 40 - 50 MPH or so consistently, so the sensor must have been the fault I'm thinking, since it's much better than before. But why it keeps happening at highway speeds, is beyond me.

I was hoping it would have cleared itself after multiple restarts (I never cleared codes or anything after the install of the new sensor), but it doesn't seem to be the case, so now I'm totally puzzled WTF it could be.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2016, 12:30 PM   #105
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Update on my issues. Figured since with the new sensor the lights were still coming back (though at highway speeds now), that the issue was going to be the wheel bearings unfortunately. Which at only 40,000 miles on the car, seems ridiculous.

Took it into my indy, and he used a bore scope to look inside the hub, and noticed lots of gunk and rust on the magnetic ring. He cleaned it out and lights are gone! So luckily at this point new wheel bearings weren’t needed.
Appreciate 1
      06-05-2016, 07:12 AM   #106
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Update on my issues. Figured since with the new sensor the lights were still coming back (though at highway speeds now), that the issue was going to be the wheel bearings unfortunately. Which at only 40,000 miles on the car, seems ridiculous.

Took it into my indy, and he used a bore scope to look inside the hub, and noticed lots of gunk and rust on the magnetic ring. He cleaned it out and lights are gone! So luckily at this point new wheel bearings weren’t needed.
Very cool! After all this time, I finally bled my brakes twice yesterday (second with the laptop). My pedal is now firm, and I slammed on my brakes again today as the road was wet. Abs works, no errors, laptop went flying (dOH ). I can now say that I can do the DSC Hydro replacement soup to nuts.

Sounds dumb, but label your lines 1-6, and be really uber careful with the 3 nuts that secure the bracket. I think a little fluid is gonna drip, so do not panic and wipe with a wet cloth. Also, those shelf caps get really slippery, I dropped 3. Again, do not panic you can get them if the pump is out.....huge savings on this job by DIY........
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 09:05 PM   #107
nebula
Rep
Drives: e90 - 2007 335i

After 110k miles, my early 2007 335i just threw the DSC pump codes. I have read that the pump has since been upgraded. So, are the newer pump motors also prone to gum up and stop working? I'm curious if I should look for a newer model used version which I can get and install quickly or if it's just best to send my unit off to modulemaster.com and be without my car for a couple weeks (which isn't an issue for me). I appreciate any advice!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 10:15 PM   #108
allotherareused
Private
Rep
Drives: 320d, f30

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebula View Post
After 110k miles, my early 2007 335i just threw the DSC pump codes. I have read that the pump has since been upgraded. So, are the newer pump motors also prone to gum up and stop working? I'm curious if I should look for a newer model used version which I can get and install quickly or if it's just best to send my unit off to modulemaster.com and be without my car for a couple weeks (which isn't an issue for me). I appreciate any advice!
I would avoid the problems and change just hydro part. So, try to find exactly same and to change metallic part, not electronic. To send complete to repair is an option but any descent workshop should have another to change promptly (you even can find online serviced modules).

In case you change this with another one some coding is necessary in order to write vin code to unit and to avoid some warning messages (I don't remember details, I've changed that long time ago).
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 10:48 AM   #109
greg328
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 MSport

in case you (or anybody else) needs one..

I have an extra working E9X DSC/ABS electronic module that came with an assembly I ordered. I also have an uncorking valve body I'll give away for just shipping costs...

Greg
Austin TX
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2017, 07:06 PM   #110
happyho
Registered
Rep
Drives: e93

Hi guys i have the same issue with the DSC Unit. Got mine repaired at a shop 6 months ago, worked fine for a while now all the lights went up and no ABS or DSC now

So my only option is to swap it with a used unit(as my dealer asked around 3k for a new one).

I have a 07 325i e93

Do you know if i can purchase one from a Diesel car? I understand it has to be 2wd and same cillinder but does the engine fuel matter ?
Appreciate 0