E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Ongoing 335i EML issues

01-06-2014, 02:52 PM   #23
KM79
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2017 335D Msport Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicktyler View Post
It's a bit worrying when the BMW dealer 'experts' can get it that wrong. It would be funny if the reality was not so frustrating.

You're correct to a certain extent,but believe me every BMW dealership workshop is not full of experts.I work for one and all depends on the job loading on the day.I will guarantee you that that a properly trained diag tech would look at that fault code ,sneer,then erase it.But on the other hand every dealer has filter spinners/apprentices/etc who will end up working on you're car and will be told to follow the book.If the test module goes down the path of replacement then you have to do it,however unlikely it may seem to cure the fault in question.Then of course the car comes back in then the diag techs get involved bla bla bla
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 08:12 AM   #24
C.J
-_-
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i

Just spoke to BMW, they've confirmed the coil 2 was replaced, and after an extensive road test, no misfires have been heard/found.

I'm picking it up at 6 tonight.

I'm assuming this sounds a realistic fix this time?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 02:55 PM   #25
jamesno1
Private
Rep
Drives: 330i m sport manual

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisM79 View Post
every BMW dealership workshop is not full of experts.I work for one
Which dealers? DP or HF?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 03:25 PM   #26
KM79
Major
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesno1 View Post
Which dealers? DP or HF?
I don't get you?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 01:15 AM   #27
MERLIN335i
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: Gone: E92 M3 Competition Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisM79 View Post
I don't get you?
I'm guessing, but I think he means Douglas Park or Harry Fairburn

But what do us English know

Last edited by MERLIN335i; 01-08-2014 at 05:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 02:39 PM   #28
KM79
Major
Scotland
Rep

Ah got you,neither I'm further east!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 03:45 PM   #29
jamesno1
Private
Rep
Drives: 330i m sport manual

Garage List
Menzies then...
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 03:17 AM   #30
nicktyler
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i (sadly gone)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.J View Post
Just spoke to BMW, they've confirmed the coil 2 was replaced, and after an extensive road test, no misfires have been heard/found.

I'm picking it up at 6 tonight.

I'm assuming this sounds a realistic fix this time?
It does sound realistic but a very easy fix. It's a shame on the dealer you had to go through all that to get there. Hope it doesn't come back!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 02:26 AM   #31
C.J
-_-
United Kingdom
Rep

I picked the car up on Tuesday, and everything has been great until this morning.

On a cold start it sounded like a tank, then this light came on:

I restated a few times but it didn't get any better, then I drove for a few miles and it appears to feel normal again.

I'm not sure if this is the EML light as it's not a huge icon like before, and no info was displayed in the iDrive.

I've emailed the BMW dealer, but as I need a loan car each time, it can be a week before I'm booked in.

Can anyone help?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 04:38 PM   #32
jayblue
Rep
Drives: Ex 335i

Quote:
I picked the car up on Tuesday, and everything has been great until this morning.

On a cold start it sounded like a tank, then this light came on:

I restated a few times but it didn't get any better, then I drove for a few miles and it appears to feel normal again.

I'm not sure if this is the EML light as it's not a huge icon like before, and no info was displayed in the iDrive.

I've emailed the BMW dealer, but as I need a loan car each time, it can be a week before I'm booked in.

Can anyone help?
If that light comes on without the large reduced power indicator on the idrive screen it indicates a fault in the emissions control system. More than likely O2 sensor fault as others have said....

I have had that light come very occasionally in my year and a half of owning the 335i, a restart has always cleared it and no fault codes have been stored so i haven't done anything to "fix" it, since there is no obvious fault! There doesn't seem to be any pattern to the illumination of the light, and one time it even cleared itself after i left the car to run for a while.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2014, 02:23 AM   #33
C.J
-_-
United Kingdom
Rep

It's not shown itself again since Friday morning, but it's booked back in for Monday.

I will mention the O2 sensor, as it's a 1.5hr return journey every time I drop off or collect the car, it's beginning to grate.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2014, 06:37 AM   #34
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

Sounds like you've been really unlucky with the car, both in terms of faults and having to deal with BMW

Hope you get it all sorted in the end, when it works the 335i really is a good car....
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 08:33 AM   #35
C.J
-_-
United Kingdom
Rep

I dropped the car off this morning. BMW have just called to state the injector to cylinder 2 also needs replacing. They will be replacing all.

Another issue I have is, I paid my £100 excess last week for the work, and 2 days later the fault was back. They are stating I will need to pay the £100 for the injectors as it's a new claim - I'm going to call the BMW warranty line today.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 04:35 PM   #36
C.J
-_-
United Kingdom
Rep

Is it cursed?

Picked it up Wednesday night (6 injectors and a new battery), and tonight while accelerating hard, with 2 passengers, it displayed this AGAIN (3 times in 5 miles).

Anyone around York/Hull who can code read?

Last edited by C.J; 01-18-2014 at 03:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 01:04 AM   #37
windymissile
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport

Boost leak is my bet. When I get that warning my jb4 tells me im not hitting boost target. Usually happens when pushing hard on cold mornings. I'm in Bev but other than the jb4 only have a cheep usb bluetooth code reader.

WM
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 02:46 AM   #38
Dan-danGT
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330d M-Sport

As Kris has already said pritty much, the diagnostic machine is only as good as the dipstick working it. We have the same problem I work for Mercedes hgv if it has no fault codes some of our lot won't look no further. But it does not mean a fault is not present.

Two things I will say, record your mileage when you go in next time. As I took my bmw to stratstones derby and they insisted there was no faults with my car, and the service advisor told me a road test had been done. But upon collecting my car and finding all my o/s/f wing scratched with no increase in mileage what so ever safe to say I was least impressed!

The other thing iincase you have not guessed I would not use stratstones anymore as they are about as much use as a chocolate fire guard! Took my car to syntner Nottingham and they was all very polite and rang me every 2 hours or so. Now that I call a bmw service in my eyes
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 03:39 AM   #39
C.J
-_-
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by windymissile View Post
Boost leak is my bet. When I get that warning my jb4 tells me im not hitting boost target. Usually happens when pushing hard on cold mornings. I'm in Bev but other than the jb4 only have a cheep usb bluetooth code reader.

WM
I'm 10 miles from there, and pop in regularly.

Any chance you're free this weekend?

Do you know if it stores the codes historically, or does the EML need to be lit when you plug in?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 04:24 AM   #40
windymissile
Major
Rep

Quote:
I'm 10 miles from there, and pop in regularly.

Any chance you're free this weekend?

Do you know if it stores the codes historically, or does the EML need to be lit when you plug in?
I just tried to read the historic codes and it couldn't see any. The JB4 clears them automatically though so maybe there were none there to read.
As you don't have JB4 I guess any code should still be there. But there is no guarantee that the reader I have could see it anyway.
You're more than welcome to come and try. I'm at a family gathering tonight but I will be about tomorrow afternoon some time?

There is a good Indi in Bev. If we have no luck you could try them.

WM
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 05:06 AM   #41
C.J
-_-
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by windymissile View Post
I just tried to read the historic codes and it couldn't see any. The JB4 clears them automatically though so maybe there were none there to read.
As you don't have JB4 I guess any code should still be there. But there is no guarantee that the reader I have could see it anyway.
You're more than welcome to come and try. I'm at a family gathering tonight but I will be about tomorrow afternoon some time?

There is a good Indi in Bev. If we have no luck you could try them.

WM
I don't want you to put yourself out, it'll be back at Stratstone on Tuesday anyway.

Who's the indi? I don't need to pay for work, but a second opinion might help me.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 10:35 AM   #42
windymissile
Major
Rep

I've turned my auto clear off. If I can make it throw the code again tomorrow on the way home, I'll try the reader.
No hardship for me. If you want to come and try it yr more than welcome.
BM Works.
http://beverleymotorworks.co.uk

WM.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 11:36 AM   #43
335tim
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335i se montego blue

I have the same issue on my 335!!!

Ive had the limp mode quite a few times before. Same as you, always when giving it a bit of a boot. My indy changed the plugs as they were due anyway and it was fine for a while until I installed the Cobb AP2. I be;ieve the Cobb and the increase in power has just bought out the problem that has always been there.

In the past the limp mode would happen without storing any codes and a restart would clear it. Since installing the cobb, I have had the limp mode once but also now have the small EML light on directly in front of the steering wheel constantly. The car idles rough sometimes and feels like its going to stall the same as yours. The Cobb shows the following 3 codes:

P2C3D - Lambda probe fault before catalyst, line fault
PC2A6 - Lambda probe heating before catalyst function
PC2AA - Lambda probe before catalyst, temperature

I have already posted this issue here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=933514

I am now confident (with the help of Idnan and my indy mechanic) that I have a failed bank 1 o2 sensor which I am getting replaced soon.

Hope this helps. Im no expert but I believe this could well be your issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 02:56 PM   #44
Observer1122
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Recently my 335i has been throwing the engine management light when under load (2+ people in), randomly when accelerating. It's happend 7/8 times in the last few weeks.

The last few mornings it started up and sounded like crap (I'd guess it was missfiring), popping and running like a tank, then the EML comes on.

After a restart it would go away.

Today it's at BMW for a service, and I've asked them to check what's wrong.

They've called to say no codes stored except an exhaust flap issue. They've confirmed this would cause the issues I've mentioned.

Is there ANY possibility they are correct? I can't imagine how this is remotely connected given the way it drives.

Had a similar problem

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...t=feul+mixture
Appreciate 0