E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Official 2011 BMW 3 Series Coupe and Convertible (LCI) Wallpaper/Information Thread

01-17-2010, 08:50 AM   #111
hanmaas
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 335i

I just noticed, it also looks like the mpg / l/100km gauge is back.
      01-17-2010, 09:10 AM   #112
I335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '08 335i Coupe

Love both new bumpers, side skirts, grills, lower fascia (I really like this a lot). Don't like the new headlights or tail lights. Mirrors are fine as well...
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2010, 09:13 AM   #113
cgpublic
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 A3 2.0T Quattro

Out of the Park

The LCI is hands down more masculine, aggressive and sporty than the pre-LCI.

Even the new mirrors compliment the tougher stance.

Add the N55, which will hopefully resolve the HPFP issue and deliver better performance (non-tuned) and mileage.

The new to the 3 red, white and blue colors are winners – the metallic white is sure to be number one.

Can't wait to see the LCI M-Sport.

Past: 2008 E90 328xi | Montego Blue | Dakota Black | Brushed Aluminum
Packages & Options: Premium | Sport | Xenon | CA | Heated Seats | iPod
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2010, 09:26 AM   #114
Berduderunner
drk one
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Garage List
2008 e90 335i  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
I personally think it looks fantastic... all of it
BMS JB3 v2.0 | BMS DCI | Berk Tech Sport Exhaust | UR * DPs | CoolingMist Meth Kit w/ CMGS | H&R OE Sport Springs | Breyton GTS-R | Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Specs | GP Thunder 8000K Low Beams/Angel Eyes/Cornering Lights | LED Interior Light Kit | Window Tint | Smoked Tail Lights | Smoked License Plate Cover
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2010, 09:36 AM   #115
Kid Eh
I used to be conceited, now I'm perfect.
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berduderunner View Post
I personally think it looks fantastic... all of it
Ditto. I don't see anything wrong with it.

"I used to be conceited. Now I'm perfect"
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2010, 09:50 AM   #116
roho3323
The Professor
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M6, BMW M240i, BMW 750i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenPlease View Post
Assuming the tails and paddles can be retrofitted, I say we get a group buy going for both of those parts.

1. GreenPlease
LOL, I love this forum... we are ready to update and get a group buy before any info on retrofit, price, availability, etc. Not complaining... I love it.

Count me in!

1. GreenPlease
2. Kit523(Paddles and tail light)
3. vgame64 (paddles)
4. roho3323 (paddles)

2010 BMW M6
2007 BMW 335i,2012 Audi S4-retired
2016 BMW 750i M-Sport
2015 BMW M235i-retired, 2022 M240i
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2010, 09:56 AM   #117
Kevin Harney
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
I'm just curious, but how do you guys operate the paddles in your cars? I understand that they're not pull/pull, but that being the case, what are they?
They are both push/pull. Push to downshift and Pull to Upshift. My fingers are too short to Push comfortably. I have to change my driving position everytime I would like to use them On the new ones they are both Pull but one is Upshift and the Other is Downshift. This complies with the other 99.999999 % of the cars out there. I like the Push/Pull Idea but the execution was not done well or the paddles were not shaped right to be useful. At least for me anyway.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2010, 09:58 AM   #118
Kevin Harney
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by roho3323 View Post
LOL, I love this forum... we are ready to update and get a group buy before any info on retrofit, price, availability, etc. Not complaining... I love it.

Count me in!

1. GreenPlease
2. Kit523(Paddles and tail light)
3. vgame64 (paddles)
4. roho3323 (paddles)
5. Kevin Harney
I am guessing the paddle upgrade will only be about $100 or so and that is a quick easy fix to a dumb engineering mistake. It is about that $ to add the paddles now if you don't have them....
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2010, 10:02 AM   #119
neogerald
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92

New 3 series

I don't like the front...Does not look aggressive to me. I like my 08 335i..I like the white angel eyes but the shape is not attractive. I don't know if it is just me but the stance is somewhat different too. Rear looks great...and the navigation...this is the only part I like.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2010, 10:03 AM   #120
akack79
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '18 F80 M3 ZCP

Only thing I dig are the new rear tailights / new side skirts. WTF happened with the front???
      01-17-2010, 10:05 AM   #121
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesal@Project 808 View Post
Looks great.

Ha, already condensation in the headlights? http://www.e90post.com/goodiesforyou.../P90054786.jpg
Well spotted mate!

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2010, 10:12 AM   #122
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Harney View Post
They are both push/pull. Push to downshift and Pull to Upshift. My fingers are too short to Push comfortably. I have to change my driving position everytime I would like to use them On the new ones they are both Pull but one is Upshift and the Other is Downshift. This complies with the other 99.999999 % of the cars out there. I like the Push/Pull Idea but the execution was not done well or the paddles were not shaped right to be useful. At least for me anyway.
I've been driving my 'back-up' 335d now for about a mth and it has the paddles; I have longer fingers and I still find them awkward to use. I really don't like the shape nor the model of execution for the change.

Good move by BMW to change to - / + for L/R.

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2010, 10:13 AM   #123
uhn2000
Big K...
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3CS BX7

In all fairness to BMW the e9x coupe/cap were probably near perfection in exterior design and I find it amazing that they even tried to improve or change them. As per the engine, that is a welcome upgrade; we own a 135i at home and there is a lag that can be improved on. One thing they should have done is improve the interior area where the temperative control buttons are etc. Its such a cheap looking design with all that crappy plastic there and its identical to the 1 series - come on BMW make it a little unique and special.
      01-17-2010, 10:13 AM   #124
Tunna_uk
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d Le Mans Blue

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by roho3323 View Post
just what I was thinking !!! LOL

I know a lot of us will be wondering about retro fitting some of those Corona/angel eye LEDs

I wonder if they are that bright or is it photo tricks?????
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2010, 11:10 AM   #125
McGregor
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 120d coupe 2009 bsm

noooooooooo! bmw just killed the best looking front ever!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2010, 11:13 AM   #126
HsiangHsu
Taiwanese Baller
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i / M3

the more i look at the LCI i less i like it...
      01-17-2010, 11:23 AM   #127
rkan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe' -Black Sapphire

Well, the front definitely looks more "busy", dunno if I like it. Never liked the eyebrow on the headlights on any bimmer.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2010, 11:29 AM   #128
tpipta
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

Upon initial inspection I really disliked the LCI E92. I felt it would only be appropriate to hold off on posting and come back the next day and look again before posting my feelings. Today is here and well, I simply think its an awful rendition. The symmetry, elegance and really the overall beauty of the car is all gone, except from the side profile. I am looking forward to seeing one on the road before making my final judgement.

BTW, what on earth is up with their mirror designs recently? Reverting back to a small, boxish mirror is not cool or attractive.
      01-17-2010, 11:30 AM   #129
Rufio
Private First Class
Poland
Rep
Drives: E93 330d

Here is press info:
https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/press...tem=node__2232

1. The BMW 3 Series
in the 2010 Model Year.
(Short Version)
Driving pleasure in the BMW 3 Series is reaching new heights yet again in the 2010 model year. Carefully conceived modifications in design, a thoroughly updated and extended range of engines, as well as innovative model features give both the new BMW 3 Series Coupé and the new BMW 3 Series Convertible even greater appeal and style. And at the same time the Saloon and Touring now also come with new power units offering even greater qualities than before.
Benefiting from all these innovations in the powertrain, the BMW 3 Series is able to further strengthen its status as an outstandingly dynamic and exceptionally efficient range of models in the mid-market segment.
Over and above these qualities superior from the start, the 320d EfficientDynamics Edition is now also entering the market with an unusually good and, indeed, absolutely superior balance of driving pleasure and fuel economy. Offering average fuel consumption in the EU test cycle of 4.1 litres/100 kilometres (equal to 68.9 mpg imp), this very special new model sets new standardsfor efficiency in the midrange segment.
Optimised in all key areas: the new BMW 3 Series Coupé and the new BMW 3 Series Convertible.
New design features at the front, side and rear precisely integrated into the car give even greater emphasis to the sporting and elegant character of the BMW 3 Series Coupé and the BMW 3 Series Convertible. At the same time the modifications in design make the silhouette of both models even sleeker and more dynamic as a sign of superior performance.
As an additional highlight, the BMW 3 Series Coupé and Convertible now feature headlights with newly designed contour lines, a modified structure, and innovative light technology. New paintwork colours, an updated range of leather upholstery, as well as innovative office and entertainment functions from BMW ConnectedDrive make a further contribution to the elegant looks of both models and the supreme driving experience they have to offer.
New diversity in the BMW 3 Series engine range.
Entering the 2010 model year, all engines in the BMW 3 Series fulfil the EU5 emission standard. At the same time the range of engines is being expanded by new entry-level variants for the Coupé and Convertible, as well as a new entry-level diesel for the BMW 3 Series Touring.
The market launch of the new BMW 3 Series Coupé and the new BMW 3 Series Convertible also marks the introduction of the BMW 318i powered by a straight-four 2.0-litre 105 kW/143 hp petrol engine. The 2.0-litre four-cylinder diesel in the new BMW 316d Touring delivers maximum output of 85 kW/115 hp.
The top-of-the-range BMW 335i available on all body variants of the BMW 3 Series now comes with a 3.0-litre straight-six featuring BMW TwinPower Turbo Technology, High Precision Injection and VALVETRONIC valve management combining supreme output of 225 kW/306 hp with fuel economy and CO2 management once again enhanced by a significant margin.
The new power units featured in the BMW 325d (150 kW/204 hp) and the BMW 320d (135 kW/184 hp) likewise available in all body variants also offer a further increase in power and torque combined with an even higher level of all-round efficiency. And last but not least, the BMW 318d Saloon and the BMW 318d Touring offer an ideal combination of higher torque with lower fuel consumption and emissions.

Supreme efficiency in the midrange segment: the BMW 320d EfficientDynamics Edition.
The BMW 320d EfficientDynamics Edition is entering the market in the 2010 model year as the most efficient car in the midrange segment, combining fuel consumption of just 4.1 litres diesel/100 kilometres (equal to 68.9 mpg imp) and a CO2 rating of 109 grams per kilometre in the EU test cycle with maximum output of 120 kW/163 hp.
The 2.0-litre four-cylinder diesel featured in this revolutionary new model comes with an all-aluminium crankcase, turbocharging with variable intake geometry, and the latest generation of common-rail direct fuel injection. Naturally, the engine has been specifically modified for an even higher standard of efficiency and the car itself comes with optimised aerodynamics, a longer final drive ratio and innovative technology in the two-mass flywheel, the centrifugal force pendulum.

Perfect symbiosis: the BMW 3 Series Edition Models.
The new Special Editions of the Saloon and Touring bring out the characteristic qualities of the BMW 3 Series in terms of driving dynamics, motoring comfort and cutting-edge innovation more convincingly and impressively than ever before. The Sport, Lifestyle and Exclusive Edition Models boast sophisticated options carefully combined with one another in the exterior and interior design of the car, providing new, exquisite highlights in terms of the car’s looks and driving experience.
Innovative office and entertainment functions from BMW ConnectedDrive.
The wide range of services offered by BMW ConnectedDrive highlights the innovative character of the BMW 3 Series. Appropriately networked to its surroundings, the BMW 3 Series with ConnectedDrive offers both optimum comfort and safety as well as a wide range of useful entertainment functions.
In the 2010 model year the range of features provided by BMW ConnectedDrive is being expanded by additional functions – in part totally exclusive to BMW. The focus in particular is on the optimised integration of the mobile telephone and external entertainment devices into the car’s internal iDrive control system.

2. Elegant Style and Sporting Performance at Their Best:
The New BMW 3 Series Coupé.
The New BMW 3 Series Convertible.
• Distinctive refinement of the front- and rear-end design. Even greater emphasis of the sporting, stretched side-line, new light technology.
• Thoroughly updated range of engines: more power, more efficiency and a new entry-level power unit.
• Modern highlights within the interior, shift paddles on the Sports Automatic with new control logic, innovations from BMW ConnectedDrive.
Both the BMW 3 Series Coupé and the BMW 3 Series Convertible combine the driving pleasure so typical of a BMW 3 Series with individual style and a truly sporting, elegant look. And now the characteristic driving experience that makes both models so special is becoming even more fascinating and enjoyable. Carefully conceived design modifications at the front, at the side and on the rear of both models, a thoroughly updated range of engines and innovative design features make these distinctive two-door models even more dynamic, efficient and up-to-date than ever before.
Benefiting from these features, the new BMW 3 Series Coupé is further extending its leadership over the competition through its unique aesthetic look and supreme sportiness. The new BMW 3 Series Convertible combines the unmistakable qualities of its electrically retractable hardtop and the particularly exhilarating experience of driving in the open air with elegance refined to an even higher standard, enhanced comfort and optimised efficiency.
Attractive innovations at the front, side and rear integrated precisely into the overall look of the car give even greater emphasis to the superior sportiness of both models. At the same time these modifications slightly extend the overhangs front and rear, adding a sleeker and even more dynamic look to the silhouette of the new BMW 3 Series Coupé and Convertible.
A further innovation on both the Coupé and Convertible is the headlights with their newly designed contours, modified structure and innovative light technology. At the rear the light clusters in their characteristic split L-shape are now combined with a new, particularly harmonious colour scheme.
Making its debut as the new entry-level model, the BMW 318i is joining the line-up of variants available in the BMW 3 Series Coupé and Convertible. Further innovations in the range of engines include the BMW 320d and the BMW 325d now offering even more power and torque, as well as the introduction of a new straight-six power unit featuring BMW TwinPower Turbo Technology, High Precision Injection and VALVETRONIC valve management in the top-of-the-range BMW 335i Coupé and the BMW 335i Convertible.
It almost goes without saying that all engine variants on both models fulfil the EU5 emission standard.
The new BMW 3 Series Coupé and the new BMW 3 Series Convertible come as standard with an optimised sports steering wheel incorporating multifunction controls. The shift paddles on the steering wheel featured in combination with the optional Sports Automatic transmission now incorporate a new control logic.
New exterior colours, a modified range of leather upholstery as well as innovative office and entertainment functions from BMW ConnectedDrive set further highlights in the looks of the car and in the driving experience offered by the new BMW 3 Series Coupé and the new BMW 3 Series Convertible.
Design: precise enhancement for a truly sporting and elegant look.
Through its proportions alone, the BMW 3 Series Coupé highlights the sporting and elegant character of this unique two-door. The classic lines of the car are emphasised in particular by the long and sleek engine compartment lid, the steeply raked A-pillar, the passenger cell moved far to the back, the long wheelbase and the flowing roofline. All this adds up to create a stretched and dynamic side view, giving the Coupé its unmistakable aesthetic beauty.
The BMW 3 Series Convertible likewise boasts a strikingly low and sleek side-line especially with the roof open. The three sections of the electrically retractable hardtop come to rest when open in compact arrangement above one another at the rear. This gives the BMW 3 Series Convertible that horizontal waistline so characteristic of an open-air BMW, interacting with the driver and front passenger seats moved further back to provide that typical feeling of motoring in the open air with maximum freedom and direct contact with your surroundings.
With the hardtop closed, the Convertible stands out clearly from the Coupé particularly through the more strongly accentuated transition from the roofline to the rear of the car. At the same time the integrated aerial serves to further enhance the smooth flow of lines and the overall harmony in looks.
The dynamically stretched silhouette of the new BMW 3 Series Coupé and the new BMW 3 Series Convertible is further emphasised by innovations in design at the front, side and rear. These modifications to the car’s exterior design are to be admired on the engine compartment lid, the front air dam, the BMW kidney grille, the side-sills, and the rear air dam.
The front overhang is now 29 millimetres or 1.14”, the rear overhang 3 millimetres or 0.12” longer. The front air dam, beautifully chiselled in its looks also from the side, symbolises a powerful forward-pushing motion, two light contours standing out from the side-sills adding a further touch of dynamic performance. Yet a further feature on both the new BMW 3 Series Coupé and the new BMW 3 Series Convertible is that the front end, now sticking out further than before, helps to optimise pedestrian safety.
With its wider BMW kidney grille and three-dimensional lines, the front view of the new BMW 3 Series Coupé and the new BMW 3 Series Convertible boasts even greater and more powerful presence. The frame around the kidney grille now comes as a chrome band precisely twisted within itself.
The second new highlight at the front is the horizontally designed air intake extending from one side of the car to the other in order to significantly emphasise the sheer width of each model. At the side the air intake is split horizontally by silver-coloured trim bars extending from the round foglamps positioned far to the outside all the way to the BMW kidney grille. In the middle, the air intake is fully open while at the bottom the intake borders on a precisely chiselled air contour line again split into three sections with its centre element sticking out slightly to the front and connected harmoniously at the side with the side panels.
Innovative xenon headlights with LED daytime driving lights and LED highlights.
Both the new BMW 3 Series Coupé and the new BMW 3 Series Convertible come as standard with bi-xenon headlights – dual round headlights combining modified contour lines with innovative light technology. At the top, the headlights merge into a trim bar cutting off the light beam to create that concentrated look so typical of a genuine BMW.
The light sources are formed by two cylindrical light beams and the headlight units come as an option with Adaptive Lights following the course of the road ahead as a function of the steering. Over and above this swivelling action, the Adaptive Headlights incorporate a bending light function provided by the inner headlight unit as well as variable light distribution for appropriate illumination of the road in town and on the motorway, as well as Adaptive Headlight Range Control.
The daytime light function so characteristic of a BMW is provided by light rings featured as standard in the headlights. The optional LED Package comes with light rings formed by light-emitting diodes operating as required in two stages: dimmed to approximately 10 per cent of their full power, they serve as positioning lights, operating at full power, they provide a daytime light function.
This option also includes direction indicators in LED technology and a LED highlight unit on the upper edge of the headlights themselves.
Rear lights: supreme harmony in illumination during the day and in night design.
The rear light clusters in their two-piece L-shape characteristic of both models are further accentuated on the new BMW 3 Series Coupé and the new BMW 3 Series Convertible by a new colour scheme. Featuring two rows of lights coming on at the same time, they create that night design so typical of a BMW, red cover glass all round now giving the lights an even more harmonious and well-balanced look.
An additional horizontal light contour line in the rear air dam serves to further accentuate the width of the car, creating light and shade effects to give the entire rear end an even flatter and smoother appearance.
The exterior mirrors also come in new design, adding yet another innovation to the unique looks of the BMW 3 Series Coupé and the BMW 3 Series Convertible. In their dimensions they naturally comply with the latest legal standards, offering the complete mirror surface and coverage required. And in their new format, the rear-view mirrors blend harmoniously into the side view and silhouette of each model.
The range of paintwork colours available on both models now also includes Deep Sea Blue Metallic and Vermillion Red Metallic, with Mineral White Metallic also becoming available in June 2010.
No less than four new wheel designs measuring 17 or 18 inches have been added to the range of light-alloy wheels available as an option. And in conjunction with the optional M Sports Package, the customer also has the choice of particularly sporty 19-inch wheels.
Interior: new leather colours and interior trim for a truly stylish ambience.
The wide range of colours and materials available for the interior of the new BMW 3 Series Coupé and the new BMW 3 Series Convertible again gives the customer superior freedom of choice in opting for his particular design and special look. New Diagonal cloth comes as standard and optional Dakota leather is now also available in soft-grey Oyster. The choice of interior trim is now supplemented by the particularly modern and sophisticated Bamboo Anthracite Grain variant.
The modified leather sports steering wheel featured as standard on the BMW 3 Series Coupé and the BMW 3 Series Convertible offers a particular touch of class and style. The steering wheel rim is finished in extra-smooth leather, the trim on the three-spoke steering wheel comes in a highly attractive grain look reminiscent of leather in all its style, and the galvanised trim bars at the side are finished in Pearl Grey Chrome.
The leather sports steering wheel comes as standard with multifunction buttons, while gearshift paddles for selecting gears manually are available in conjunction with the optional automatic transmission and with Sports Automatic.
Wide range of power units: greater efficiency, more power, and a new entry-level model.
All versions of the BMW 3 Series offer a particularly good balance of performance and fuel economy. And now numerous innovations in the range of engines enable the new BMW 3 Series Coupé and the new BMW 3 Series Convertible to further enhance their leadership in their respective segments. Both the petrol engines featuring High Precision Injection throughout the entire range and the turbodiesels with common-rail direct injection stand out through a particularly high level of all-round efficiency.
All versions of the BMW 3 Series Coupé and the BMW 3 Series Convertible naturally come as standard with numerous BMW EfficientDynamics technologies. Depending on the respective model, the features provided include Brake Energy Regeneration, Auto Start Stop, a gearshift point indicator, on-demand control of the engine’s ancillary units including the electromechanical power steering, a detachable a/c compressor, a map-controlled oil pump as well as optimised aerodynamics, tyres with reduced roll resistance, and intelligent lightweight construction. Clearly, all engines available in the new BMW 3 Series Coupé and the new BMW 3 Series Convertible fulfil the EU emission standards.
The introduction of the BMW 318i marks a new entry-level version with both the BMW 3 Series Coupé and Convertible. These two new models are powered by a 2.0-litre four-cylinder petrol engine with High Precision Injection operating in the lean burn mode.
Also referred to as the stratified charge principle, lean burn injection serves to deliver high engine output from a small amount of fuel. In the High Precision Injection process, fuel is sprayed into the combustion chambers by injectors positioned directly next to the spark plug. In the lean burn mode this forms differently composed layers of the fuel/air mixture, with an ignitable fuel/air mix maintained only in the direct vicinity of the spark plug. As soon as this air mix ignites, the lean layers further away form the spark plug also start to burn and join in the combustion process.
Applying this principle, the power unit featured in the BMW 318i develops maximum output of 105 kW/143 hp at an engine speed of 6,000 rpm and peak torque of 190 Newton-metres/140 lb-ft at 4,250 rpm. This accelerates the BMW 318i Coupé from a standstill to 100 km/h in 9.1 seconds, the BMW 318i Convertible in 10.3 seconds. Top speed in each case is 210 km/h or 130 mph.
In the EU test cycle the BMW 318i Coupé averages 6.3 litres/100 kilometres (equal to 44.8 mpg imp) and achieves a CO2 rating of 146 grams per kilometre. The respective figures for the BMW 318i Convertible are 6.6 litres (42.8 mpg imp) and 154 grams per kilometre.
Innovative engine technology on the top models.
The models right at the top also excel through outstanding efficiency ensured by innovative technology. The new BMW 335i Coupé and the new BMW 335i Convertible are entering the market with a newly developed straight-six power unit for the first time combining BMW TwinPower Turbo Technology, High Precision Injection, and VALVETRONIC fully variable valve management. Displacing 3.0 litres, the engine delivers maximum output of 225 kW/306 hp at 5,800 rpm, with peak torque of 400 Nm/295 lb-ft maintained all the way from 1,200 to 5,000 rpm.
The turbocharger system applying the TwinScroll principle with separate ducts for each set of three cylinders both in the exhaust manifold and in the turbocharger itself, and VALVETRONIC valve management now enhanced to an even higher standard, ensure a fascinating, direct response to the gas pedal at all times. Combining these features with High Precision Injection, the new power unit offers the muscle and performance of a naturally aspirated eight-cylinder with exceptionally low fuel consumption and exhaust emissions.
Acceleration from a standstill to 100 km/h comes in 5.5 seconds in the BMW 335i Coupé and in 5.8 seconds in the BMW 335i Convertible. Top speed is limited electronically on both models to 250 km/h or 155 mph.
Average fuel consumption in the EU test cycle is 8.4 litres/100 kilometres (equal to 33.6 mpg imp) on the Coupé and 8.8 litres (32.1 mpg imp) on the Convertible. The CO2 rating is 196 and, respectively, 205 grams per kilometre.
Full of muscle and highly efficient: new diesel engines in the BMW 325d and the BMW 320d.
The portfolio of diesel engines marking the launch of the new BMW 3 Series Coupé and the new 3 Series Convertible also stands out through two new power units: the BMW 325d Coupé and the BMW 325d Convertible both boast a new member to the new range of BMW’s straight-six diesels. Displacing 3.0 litres, the new engine features a turbocharger system with variable turbine geometry, an aluminium crankcase and the latest generation of common-rail direct fuel injection. Maximum output is 150 kW/204 hp at an engine speed of 3,750 rpm, peak torque of 430 Newton-metres/317 lb-ft comes at 1,750 rpm.
The new BMW 325d Coupé accelerates to 100 km/h in 6.9, the BMW 325d Convertible in 7.5 seconds. Top speed is 244 km/h (151 mph) and 238 km/h (148 mph), respectively. Average fuel consumption under the EU standard of 5.7 litres/49.6 mpg imp (Convertible: 6.1 litres/46.3 mpg imp) per 100 kilometres and CO2 ratings of 151 and, respectively,160 grams per kilometre underline the outstanding efficiency of this new power unit.
Like the new six-cylinder diesel, the four-cylinder diesel featured in the BMW 320d Coupé and the BMW 320d Convertible shows an increase in engine output by 5 kW/7 hp. Improvements in engine technology helping to increase the overall efficiency of the power unit serve also in this case to ensure maximum efficiency all round. This 2.0-litre now delivers maximum output of 135 kW/184 hp at 4,000 rpm; peak torque is up over the former engine by 30 Newton-metres/22 lb-ft to 380 Newton-metres/280 lb-ft at 1,900 rpm.
The new BMW 320d Coupé accelerates from a standstill to 100 km/h in a mere 7.5 seconds, the Convertible completes the same exercise in 8.3 seconds. Top speed is 237 km/h (147 mph) and , respectively, 228 km/h (141 mph).
Particularly with a view to this kind of performance, average fuel consumption in the EU test cycle of only 4.7 litres/100 kilometres (equal to 60.1 mpg imp) on the BMW 320d Coupé and 5.1 litres/100 kilometres (55.4 mpg imp) on the BMW 320d Convertible is truly outstanding. CO2 emissions are 125 and 135 grams per kilometre, respectively.
New diversity in the engine range, all-wheel drive on five coupé models, Sports Automatic with double clutch.
The range of engines for the BMW 3 Series Coupé and Convertible is growing once again thanks to the new entry-level power units. As a result, the new BMW 3 Series Coupé is now available with five petrol and four diesel engines, while the new BMW 3 Series Convertible offers almost the same large choice of five petrol and three diesel engines.
In both cases, the range of petrol engines is made up of two four- and three six-cylinders, while the diesel engines comprise one four-cylinder and three or, respectively, two six-cylinders.
As a further option in drivetrain technology, the BMW xDrive intelligent all-wheel-drive system is available on no less than five versions of the BMW 3 Series Coupé, teaming up as required with three petrol and two diesel engines.
Both the new BMW 3 Series Coupé and the new BMW 3 Series Convertible come as standard with a six-speed manual gearbox. The BMW 335i and the BMW 320d feature a newly developed transmission with dry sump lubrication which, through its optimised operation, enhances the efficiency of these models to an even higher level than before.
As an option the BMW 320i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 320d, BMW 325d, and BMW 330d are available in both body variants with six-speed automatic transmission, which comes as standard on the BMW 335d.
The BMW 335i Coupé and the BMW 335i Convertible are available as an option with seven-speed Sports Automatic featuring double-clutch operation. This cutting-edge transmission technology shifts gears without the slightest interruption of traction and engine power, thus offering supreme and highly dynamic acceleration at all times. Indeed, both models accelerate even faster than their counterparts with a manual gearbox, while maintaining the same low level of fuel consumption.
Over and above these qualities, the Double-Clutch Gearbox offers the same, highly appreciated comfort features as a BMW automatic transmission, giving the driver the choice to shift gears either automatically or manually, whatever he prefers.
On all models featuring automatic transmission or BMW Sports Automatic, the driver is able to shift gears in the manual mode either through the gear selector lever, or, as an option, through shift paddles on the steering wheel. These shift paddles included in the Sports Automatic transmission with double clutch are now activated according to a new control logic, the right paddle serving to shift up, the left to shift down.
Applying this systematic approach carried from BMW M Cars, the driver enjoys an even more intense experience of the unusually short and fast gearshift ensured by Sports Automatic.
Innovative office and entertainment functions from BMW ConnectedDrive.
The wide range of services provided by BMW ConnectedDrive are likewise among the innovative features offered by the BMW 3 Series. Appropriately networking the car with its surroundings, BMW ConnectedDrive optimises both the high level of comfort and safety in using the car’s entertainment functions.
The services provided by BMW ConnectedDrive include highlights such as full use of the internet in the car, a telephone enquiry service transmitting data straight to the navigation system, the option to download individual route options by means of BMW Routes, and the Enhanced Emergency Call function serving to precisely locate the car and send rescue services quickly and directly to the scene of an accident whenever necessary.
Entering the 2010 model year, the range of functions provided by BMW ConnectedDrive is being enlarged by additional features in some cases exclusive to BMW – and naturally available on both the new BMW 3 Series Coupé and the new BMW 3 Series Convertible. The focus in particular is on the optimised integration of mobile phones and external entertainment units into the car’s iDrive control system, which also means an even wider range of flexibility in using voice entry to operate and control external units.
A further feature now available for the first time is the option to download software packages for integrating new mobile phones or an audio player through a BMW online portal, simply by updating the specifications required. So after downloading the software into the car by mean of a USB stick, the new units can be fully integrated into the iDrive system for maximum convenience. The only prerequisite for using these new options offered by BMW ConnectedDrive is that the car is fitted with BMW’s optional navigation system Professional.
The new services provided by BMW ConnectedDrive allow even safer, more convenient and extensive operation of telephone and office functions while driving. Indeed, BMW is the world’s first car maker to offer all the technical prerequisites for downloading text messages from your mobile phone directly into the iDrive Control Display. And then, for even greater convenience, the driver may even have his text messages read out loud by the voice presentation system.
Yet another unique feature is the option to synchronise calendar entries, tasks and notes between the mobile phone and BMW iDrive through an appropriate interface supported by the leading makers of mobile phones. Thanks to this broad scope of availability, this function is at the disposal of a large number of customers right from the start and also serves to present contact lists and even images on the screen.
Another innovation is the transmission of audio files from external devices through Bluetooth. In this case a mobile audio player, for example, is masterminded by remote control, just as audio files in the player are transferred by remote control into the car’s entertainment system.
The presentation of music covers in choosing the music programme on the Control Display makes the use of the car’s entertainment functions even more attractive – and again, BMW is the world’s first car maker to offer this new function.

3. More Driving Pleasure, More Efficiency, More Diversity:
The New Engine Range in the BMW 3 Series Saloon and the BMW 3 Series Touring.
• All models fulfil the EU5 emission standard.
• Following the BMW 330d Saloon, the BMW 320d Saloon and the BMW 320d Touring now come with BMW BluePerfomance for the EU6 standard.
• Even greater driving pleasure thanks to optimised power units in the BMW 320d and the BMW 318d, entry-level BMW 316d also in the Touring model.
BMW is consistently continuing the worldwide introduction of innovative technologies serving to reduce both fuel consumption and emissions.
Once again, the BMW 3 Series is the pacemaker in taking this approach, boasting new technologies also in the 2010 model year developed in the context of BMW EfficientDynamics for maximum impact in this best-selling model series. As a result, the BMW 3 Series is once again extending its leadership over the competition in terms of efficiency.
A new straight-six petrol engine with BMW TwinPower Turbo Technology, High Precision Injection, and VALVETRONIC in the BMW 335i, an equally new straight-six diesel with an all-aluminium crankcase and common-rail direct fuel injection in the BMW 320d, extra muscle and traction for the BMW 320d and the BMW 318d, as well as the introduction of the BMW 316d Touring make the model range even more appealing and versatile than ever before.
A further important highlight is that all model variants of the BMW 3 Series now fulfil the EU5 emissions standard. And with optional BMW BluePerformance technology, not only the BMW 330d Saloon, but also the BMW 320d Saloon and the BMW 320d Touring are now becoming the first four-cylinder models to fulfil the EU6 emission standard not even coming into force until 2014.
Both the Saloon and Touring models are available in the 2010 model year with a choice of no less than five petrol and six diesel engines, the range of power extending all the way from 85 kW/115 hp in the BMW 316d to 225 kW/306 hp in the BMW 335i.
Choosing from the petrol models, customers have the choice of no less than two four- and three six-cylinder engines, while the portfolio of diesel engines now comprises three four- and three-six-cylinder power units.
The BMW 320d EfficientDynamics Edition holds a very special position within the range in supplementing the line-up of BMW 3 Series Saloon models: Developing maximum output of 120kW/163 hp on fuel consumption in the EU test cycle of just 4.1 litres/100 kilometres (equal to 68.9 mpg imp), and with a CO2 rating of 109 grams per kilometre, this special model powered by a 2.0-litre four-cylinder diesel offers by far the best balance of driving pleasure and fuel economy in the midrange segment.
The choice of all-wheel-drive models in the BMW 3 Series is likewise even greater than ever before, with BMW’s intelligent xDrive all-wheel-drive system available on no less than three petrol and two diesel models.
BMW EfficientDynamics: featured as standard in every BMW 3 Series.
The BMW 3 Series already holds an outstanding position in the midrange segment as the epitome of driving dynamics and the absolute trendsetter in terms of efficiency. Indeed, the unique characteristics of the BMW 3 Series combining superior Sheer Driving Pleasure with exemplary fuel economy and emission management, is the result of the BMW EfficientDynamics development strategy – and the innovations introduced as part of this strategy are offered in an appropriate combination as standard in each BMW 3 Series. This guarantees that the BMW 3 Series in all power and performance classes offers an unusually good balance of Sheer Driving Pleasure and fuel economy all round.
The efficiency so typical of BMW is based on the high standard of engine management and control to be admired throughout the BMW 3 Series as a whole. As an example, all petrol engines come with second-generation direct fuel injection. Appropriately highlighted as BMW High Precision Injection, this sophisticated fuel injection technology uses injectors placed in the middle between the valves and in the immediate vicinity of the spark plugs for precise dosage of the fuel injected. On the four-cylinder petrol engines in the BMW 320i and the BMW 318i, and in the six-cylinder BMW 325i and BMW 330i, High Precision Injection operates in the particularly economical lean burn mode. In the new six-cylinder featured in the BMW 335i High Precision Injection is combined for the first time with BMW TwinPower Turbo Technology and fully variable VALVETRONIC valve management.
In the interest of optimum weight, the power units in the BMW 335i, the BMW 320i and the BMW 318i come with an aluminium crankcase, while the six-cylinder naturally-aspirated engines in the BMW 330i and the BMW 325i boast a composite magnesium/aluminium crankcase even lighter than before.
The diesel engines in the BMW 3 Series likewise come in a low-weight aluminium construction. On both the six- and four-cylinder diesels, third-generation common-rail direct fuel injection ensures an optimum supply of fuel at all times. Turbochargers with variable intake geometry and Variable Twin Turbo Technology on the BMW 335d ensure an ideal combination of sporting performance with excellently low fuel consumption and emissions.
The wide range of BMW EfficientDynamics technology featured on all models in the BMW 3 Series includes Brake Energy Regeneration, concentrating the generation of electric power for the on-board network on overrun and application of the brakes. Whenever the engine is pulling the car, on the other hand, that is in the traction mode, more power is available for enhanced driving dynamics.
The manual gearbox four-cylinder models in the BMW 3 Series also come with an Auto Start Stop function helping to avoid any additional consumption of fuel when the engine is idling. All models with manual gearbox are furthermore equipped with a gearshift point indicator telling the driver the right time to shift gears in the interest of minimum fuel consumption.
Intelligent lightweight technology, special tyres with minimum roll resistance and optimised aerodynamics further enhance the efficiency of the BMW 3 Series to an even higher standard. Ancillary units masterminded according to current requirements and appropriately combined in each model – such as Electric Power Steering, an oil pump controlled on-demand, the detachable a/c compressor, active cooling air flaps as well as the transmission and final drive optimised for maximum efficiency – likewise serve to reduce both fuel consumption and emissions.
BMW BluePerformance technology now featured for the first time also in a four-cylinder diesel: the BMW 320d fulfilling the EU6 emission standard.
Entering the 2010 model year, all models in the BMW 3 Series naturally fulfil the EU5 emission standard. At the same time BMW is further extending its leadership in the introduction of innovative exhaust management technologies to fulfil the EU6 standard not even coming into force until 2014. Optional BMW BluePerformance technology serves to reduce nitric oxide emissions (NOX) for this purpose, without in any way impairing the performance and fuel economy of cars equipped with this technology.
The first model equipped with BluePerformance in order to fulfil the EU6 standard was the BMW 330d Saloon. Now this trendsetter is being followed by the BMW 320d Saloon and the BMW 320d Touring as the first four-cylinder diesels available on request with BMW BluePerformance.
Supplementing the diesel particulates filter and the oxidation catalyst housed in one unit on all diesel models, BMW BluePerformance technology incorporates an NOX storage catalyst to provide a further reduction of nitric oxides in the car’s emissions.
A catalytic process triggered by the coating on the NOX storage catalyst binds nitric monoxide and nitric dioxide to the barium carbonate elements integrated in the catalyst itself, the barium nitrate formed in this way being completely burnt by the engine running briefly with a larger share of fuel provided by a subsequent injection process.
The reduction of nitric oxide ensured by BMW BluePeformance technology remains unnoticed to the driver, with the NOX storage catalyst being maintenance-free throughout the entire lifecycle of the car and not requiring any additional substances. Since the additional combustion processes are short and precise, this subsequent treatment of the exhaust gas does not have any influence on the car’s fuel consumption.
BMW 316d: entry-level model now also available in Touring guise.
The 316d Saloon already holds a strong position at the lower end of the model range as the most economical opportunity to enjoy the driving pleasure so typical of a BMW. The car’s 2.0-litre four-cylinder diesel develops 85 kW/115 hp at an engine speed of 4,000 rpm and delivers maximum torque of 260 Newton-metres/192 lb-ft at 1,750 rpm. And now this particularly fuel-efficient, low-emission diesel engine is also available in the Touring version of the BMW 3 Series.
The entry-level diesel comes complete with an aluminium crankcase, a turbocharger system with variable turbine geometry and the latest generation of common-rail direct fuel injection. It accelerates the BMW 316d Touring from a standstill to 100 km/h in 11.2 seconds and gives the car a top speed of 201 km/h or 125 mph. Average fuel consumption of the BMW 316d Touring in the EU test cycle is 4.5 litres/100 kilometres (equal to 62.8 mpg imp) and the CO2 emission rating is 119 grams per kilometre.
BMW 320d and BMW 318d with even more traction and pulling force.
Further improvements now give the four-cylinder diesel engines in the BMW 320d and the BMW 318d even higher traction and pulling force. Maximum torque is up in both cases and the engine of the BMW 320d now develops a peak power of 135 kW/184 hp. Following the BMW EfficientDynamics strategy, the extra driving pleasure on these models furthermore comes with an additional reduction of both fuel consumption and emissions.
The BMW 320d and the BMW 318d are likewise powered by 2.0-litre all-aluminium engines featuring turbocharger technology with fully variable turbine geometry and common-rail direct fuel injection. The extra power and efficiency over the former models results in this case from consistent optimisation of the combustion chambers, the turbocharger system and the cylinder head, as well as re-arrangement of the engine’s ancillary units serving to reduce frictional losses. The injection system using magnetic valve injectors operating at a pressure of up to 1,600 (BMW 318d) and, respectively, 1,800 (BMW 320d) bar ensures precise dosage of fuel at all times as well as a smooth, consistent and low-emission combustion process.
Maximum engine power now increased by 5 kW to 135 kW/184 hp in the BMW 320d comes at 4,000 rpm, peak torque up from 350 Newton-metres (258 lb-ft) to 380 Newton-metres (280 lb-ft) is maintained all the way from 1,900 – 2,750 rpm.
The new power unit accelerates the BMW 320d Saloon from a standstill to 100 km/h in 7.5 seconds, with the BMW 320d Touring completing the same exercise in 7.7 seconds. Top speed is 235 km/h (146 mph) on the Saloon and 233 km/h (144 mph) on the Touring.
Despite this increase in engine power and performance, average fuel consumption in the EU test cycle is down to just 4.7 litres/100 kilometres (60.1 mpg imp) (Touring: 4.8 litres /58.8 mpg imp). The respective CO2 ratings are 125 grams per kilometre for the Saloon and 128 grams per kilometre for the Touring.
Delivering maximum output of 105 kW/143 hp, the power unit featured in the BMW 318d comes with peak torque up by 20 Newton-metres/15 lb-ft to 320 Newton-metres/236 lb-ft delivered at a low 1,750 rpm. As a result of this higher torque, acceleration to 100 km/h in the BMW 318d Saloon now takes just 9.1 seconds (Touring: 9.4 seconds), while both models – Saloon and Touring – reach a top speed of 210 km/h or 136 mph.
Average fuel consumption in the EU test cycle is now 4.5 litres/100 kilometres (equal to 62.8 mpg imp), the CO2 rating is 120 grams per kilometre.
More power, greater efficiency: the BMW 325d with its new six-cylinder diesel engine.
The new BMW 325d likewise combines an even higher standard of driving pleasure with a further reduction of fuel consumption and emissions. This new model is powered by yet another representative of the new generation of BMW straight-six diesels. Like the power unit featured in the BMW 330d, this new engine also comes in an all-aluminium construction and features a turbocharger with variable turbine geometry as well as the latest generation of common-rail direct fuel injection.
In the version powering the BMW 325d, this new six-cylinder diesel develops maximum output of 150 kW/204 hp – 5 kW more than in the previous model – at an engine speed of 3,750 rpm. Maximum torque is up from the former model by 30 Nm/22 lb-ft to 430 Newton-metres/317 lb-ft, and now comes at 1,750 rpm.
Benefiting from this kind of torque and power, the BMW 325d Saloon accelerates from a standstill to 100 km/h in 7.0 seconds (Touring: 7.2 seconds). Top speed is 242 km/h or 150 mph (Touring: 240 km/h or 149 mph).
The new six-cylinder diesel also sets a new benchmark for efficiency through its average fuel consumption in the EU test cycle of 5.7 litres/100 kilometres (equal to 49.6 mpg imp) (Touring: 5.8 litres/48.7 mpg imp) and a CO2 rating of 151 grams per kilometre (Touring: 153 grams).
Efficiency and maximum power all in one: the BMW 335i featuring BMW TwinPower Turbo, High Precision Injection and VALVETRONIC for the first time.
The most powerful version of the BMW 3 Series likewise comes with an even higher level of efficiency in the 2010 model year: The new BMW 335i stands out in particular through the supreme muscle of its 225 kW/306 hp straight-six now combined more than ever before with a level of economy quite unique in this performance class.
With power and performance remaining the same, average fuel consumption of the BMW 335i Saloon and the BMW 335i Touring is down compared to the previous models by approximately 8 per cent. This progress is attributable, among other things, to the introduction of a new generation of engines also in the BMW 335i. Indeed, the new power unit featured in the BMW 335i is the first engine to combine BMW TwinPower Turbo Technology both with High Precision Injection and fully variable VALVETRONIC valve management.
The new six-cylinder boasts a turbocharger system applying the TwinScroll principle to separate the ducts of three cylinders at a time both in the exhaust manifold and in the turbocharger itself. This particular configuration ensures a smooth and direct surge of power with immediate response even at low engine speeds, High Precision Injection interacting with newly developed multi-hole injectors positioned in the middle of the cylinder head between the valves and in the immediate vicinity of the spark plug for particularly precise dosage of fuel into the combustion chambers.
To further optimise the development of power and the superior efficiency of the engine, fully variable VALVETRONIC valve management masterminds valve stroke and intake valve timing in an infinitely variable process. This reduces throttle losses in the charge cycle to a minimum and makes particularly efficient use of the energy in the fuel. And last but certainly not least, engine response is also even better, more dynamic and smoother than before.
The engine delivers its maximum torque of 400 Nm/295 lb-ft all the way from 1,200 – 5,000 rpm, and reaches its maximum output at 5,800 rpm. This accelerates the new BMW 335i Saloon from a standstill to 100 km/h in just 5.6 seconds (Touring: 5.7 seconds). Top speed is limited electronically to 250 km/h or 155 mph.
Perhaps the most impressive point is that both models combine this sports car performance with a further reduction of both fuel consumption and emissions, with fuel consumption in the EU test cycle of just 8.4 litres/100 kilometres (33.6 mpg imp) on the Saloon and 8.5 litres/100 km (33.2 mpg imp) on the Touring, plus a CO2 rating of 196 grams per kilometre (Touring: 199 grams).

4. Once Again a Step Ahead:
The BMW 320d EfficientDynamics Edition.
• Consistent optimisation of efficiency ensures fuel consumption in the EU test cycle of 4.1 litres/100 km (equal to mpg imp) and a CO2 rating of 109 g/km.
• By far the highest efficiency in its segment.
• Innovative engine technology for Sheer Driving Pleasure typical of BMW and lowest CO2 emissions throughout the entire model range.
As the world’s leading premium car maker, BMW is now further increasing its leadership in the development of particularly clean and, at the same time, dynamic models.
The new BMW 320d EfficientDynamics Edition comes as a parallel offer to the BMW 320d in the 2010 model year, this outstanding saloon with its cutting-edge technology combining fuel consumption of just 4.1 litres diesel per 100 kilometres (equal to 68.9 mpg imp) and a CO2 rating of 109 grams per kilometre in the EU test cycle with maximum output of no less than 120 kW/163 hp.
The 2.0-litre four-cylinder diesel engine featured in the BMW 320d EfficientDynamics Edition comes with an all-aluminium crankcase, turbocharging with variable intake geometry and the latest generation of common-rail direct fuel injection. Naturally, the engine has been modified throughout for an even higher standard of all-round efficiency.
Addressing above all the markets in Germany, Great Britain, Italy and Spain, the BMW 320d EfficientDynamics Edition also features optimised aerodynamics, a longer final drive ratio and innovative technology in the two-mass flywheel, the centrifugal-force pendulum.
Cutting-edge technology of this calibre makes the BMW 320d EfficientDynamics Edition the cleanest and most fuel-efficient car in BMW’s current model range. In the fiercely contested mid-market segment, the BMW 320d EfficientDynamics Edition is an unparalleled, highly attractive premium option for the customer with a special focus on outstanding economy and with a very ecological perspective on life, but not wanting to forego the sporting driving characteristics so typical of a BMW.
In a nutshell, therefore, the BMW 320d EfficientDynamics Edition enhances the superior efficiency already offered by the existing models in the BMW 3 Series through BMW EfficientDynamics to an even higher standard quite unparalleled in the market.
Four-cylinder diesel engine with power and performance optimised for maximum efficiency.
The BMW 320d EfficientDynamics Edition is powered by a four-cylinder diesel optimised specifically for minimum fuel consumption and maximum emission management for an even higher level of all-round efficiency. The engine as such is a 2.0-litre four-cylinder with an all-aluminium crankcase, turbocharging and the latest generation of common-rail fuel injection already featured in various levels of power and performance in the BMW 316d, the BMW 318d and the BMW 320d. The specific version of this power unit developed for the BMW 320d EfficientDynamics Edition delivers maximum output of 120 kW/163 hp at an engine speed from 3,250 – 4,200 rpm, with peak torque of 380 Nm/280 lb-ft from 1,900 – 2,750 rpm.
A particular forte of this outstanding power unit is its sporting performance from low engine speeds. Benefiting from innovative technology in the two-mass flywheel, the centrifugal force pendulum, combined with a longer final drive ratio, the BMW 320d EfficientDynamics Edition runs at significantly lower engine speeds in all speed ranges relevant in practice. A further important point is that the shift in engine load beneficial to both fuel consumption and emission management comes with the full standard of spontaneity and running smoothness so typical of a BMW diesel.
Smooth motoring without vibrations even at low engine speeds thanks to the centrifugal force pendulum in the two-mass flywheel.
To maintain smooth motoring characteristics and vibration-free refinement even at particularly low engine speeds, the power unit of the BMW 320d EfficientDynamics Edition features a centrifugal force pendulum effectively compensating any rotational and uneven lack of balance at low engine speeds.
This innovative component is integrated in the engine’s two-mass flywheel where it sets off vibrations released while driving, thus ensuring smooth, comfortable and acoustically optimised development of power from low engine speeds.
Benefiting from this extra comfort, the driver will be inclined to use a higher gear more often or not to shift down at all in a certain situation. When accelerating, on the other hand, the BMW 320d EfficientDynamics Edition still boasts all the driving behaviour and agility so typical of a BMW.
The driving dynamics characteristic of a BMW are borne out among other things by acceleration to 100 km/h in just 8.0 seconds. Acceleration from 80 – 120 km/h (50 – 75 mph) comes in 9.1 seconds in fifth gear, and the car’s top speed is 228 km/h or 141 mph.
Lower emissions, more driving pleasure: consistent implementation of BMW EfficientDynamics with its full potential.
The BMW 320d EfficientDynamics Edition comes with the full range of technologies for reducing both fuel consumption and emissions also featured as standard in other models in the BMW 3 Series. Brake Energy Regeneration, for example, concentrates the generation of electric power for the on-board network in phases of engine overrun and application of the brakes, where the engine does not consume any more fuel. The Auto Start Stop function switches off the engine when coming to a short halt on account of traffic conditions, thus avoiding any unnecessary consumption of fuel while idling. The gearshift point indicator in the BMW 320d EfficientDynamics Edition informs the driver at a very early point of the need to shift gears in the interest of optimum efficiency.
Ancillary units such as the detachable a/c compressor also serve to maximise the efficient use of energy for the car’s on-board network. Active cooling air flap management and tyres optimised for minimum roll resistance likewise serve to enhance the level of efficiency. And being equipped with a diesel particulates filter fitted close to the engine, the BMW 320d EfficientDynamics Edition naturally complies in full with the EU5 emission standard.
These technologies also featured on the other models in the BMW 3 Series in the interest of maximum efficiency are further enhanced on the BMW 320d EfficientDynamics Edition by model-specific innovations which, together with the reduction in engine power by 15 kW/20 hp compared to the “regular” BMW 320d, allows an even greater reduction in fuel consumption and emissions below the CO2 emission limit of 110 g/km.
These specific innovations include not only a longer final drive ratio, but also a lowered suspension front and rear. Newly developed aero rims in turbine wheel design – together with the rear window sticker proudly bearing the words “EfficientDynamics Edition” the only visible sign of distinction – once again improve the car’s aerodynamics, helping to reduce the drag coefficient of the BMW 320d EfficientDynamics Edition to a mere 0.26.
Within the BMW 3 Series the BMW 320d EfficientDynamics Edition is so far the most consistent and far-reaching implementation of the BMW EfficientDynamics development strategy. So the committed motorist who appreciates the premium character and sporting driving features of a BMW 3 Series while nevertheless focusing in particular on superior all-round company, now has the perfect choice from BMW in the midrange segment.
With the introduction of this revolutionary new model, any direct comparison of efficiency in this segment is once again a step ahead of the competition. And the final highlight is that the increase in efficiency provided by the BMW 320d EfficientDynamics Edition with its innovative technology does not even come at a higher price, since this outstanding new model retails at the same price on the market as the “regular” BMW 320d.

5. A Perfect Combination:
The BMW 3 Series Edition Models.
• Thrilling dynamics: the BMW 3 Series Sport Edition.
• Fascinating innovation: the BMW 3 Series Lifestyle Edition.
• Stylish elegance: the BMW 3 Series Exclusive Edition.
Dynamic driving characteristics, innovative features, athletic and elegant design – these are the ingredients which give the BMW 3 Series its unique character.
Now the new Special Editions of the Saloon and Touring bring out these supreme qualities in even greater style and splendour. The Sport, Lifestyle and Exclusive Editions come with the most sophisticated, carefully matched options in exterior and interior design creating specific highlights in both the looks of the car and the driving experience they have to offer.
The Edition Models are characterised in particular by their exclusive paintwork and light-alloy wheels as well as special upholstery variants in combination with appropriate interior trim, bringing out their individual style and qualities at very first sight. Common features shared by all models are the chrome bars on the BMW kidney grille and door cutout bars proudly bearing the name “Edition”.
The Sport, Lifestyle and Exclusive Editions may be combined with all engine variants available for the BMW 3 Series and come in both the Saloon and Touring as of March 2010.
Driving pleasure in its purest form: the BMW 3 Series Sport Edition.
The Sport Edition of the BMW 3 Series offers ideal qualities for enjoying driving pleasure at its very best. With its special features, this specific model enables the driver and passengers to enjoy both sporting style and the dynamic driving experience at its very best. The particular highlights in this case are the M Sports Suspension, 18-inch light-alloy wheels in exclusive Dark Chrome star-spoke design, as well as the M Aerodynamics Package. The superior and athletic looks of the car are further underlined by window shaft covers in BMW Individual High-Gloss Satin Chrome and the exhaust tailpipes in Black Chrome. The range of body colours also includes Blue Water Metallic.
Within the interior, sports seats, an M leather steering wheel with multifunction buttons, a sports gearshift lever, pedal supports made of stainless steel and BMW Individual roof lining in Anthracite promote the intense driving experience of the BMW 3 Series. Seat upholstery in the Blue Shadow combination of cloth and alcantara (or in Dakota leather, Black, as an option) comes with contrasting seams in Royal Blue. Matching footmats with contrasting piping again in Royal Blue and interior trim in Glacier Silver, aluminium ultimately add the finishing touch.
Individual style the modern way: the BMW 3 Series Lifestyle Edition.
The BMW 3 Series Lifestyle Edition stands out through sophisticated, modern and exclusive highlights in exterior and interior design. Among other features, these models are available with particularly attractive Platinum Bronze exterior paintwork. The trim bar on the front air dam finished in Silver and window shaft covers on all engine variants in chrome round off the stylish look of the car. Seventeen-inch light-alloy wheels also belong to the exclusive range of special features.
Seat upholstery created exclusively for the Lifestyle Edition further accentuates the thrill of modern, individual style within the interior. The centre section in Layer cloth is combined in this case with outer seat elements in Fluid cloth as a particularly attractive symbiosis. As an alternative to the seats finished completely in Anthracite, a two-coloured version with its centre section in Ivory White and outer elements in Oyster is also available for the genuine connoisseur.
When ordered by the customer, Fluid cloth also comes on the door panels. And last but not least, interior trim in High-Gloss Platinum Bronze gives the Lifestyle Edition a particularly exclusive highlight.
Stylishly refined: the BMW 3 Series Exclusive Edition.
The BMW 3 Series Exclusive Edition offers a particularly stylish and refined ambience inside the car. Like on the Lifestyle Edition, the outer look of the car is upgraded by the trim bar on the front air dam finished consistently in Silver and window shaft covers in chrome. Seventeen-inch light-alloy wheels are also a regular feature on this model.
Paintwork in Deep Sea Blue Metallic creates a particular highlight on the Exclusive Edition supplemented by the roof railing in Satin-Gloss Aluminium on the BMW 3 Series Touring.
Within the interior, the sophisticated interior of the Exclusive Edition is further accentuated, among other things, by Dakota leather seats in Oyster colour. Further significant features within the stylish combination of interior highlights are the exclusive leather sports steering wheel otherwise only available on the new BMW 3 Series Coupé and the new BMW 3 Series Convertible, as well as special interior trim in Bamboo, Anthracite Grain.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2010, 11:32 AM   #130
Joop!
Major
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: G29 Z4 M40i Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanmaas View Post
I just noticed, it also looks like the mpg / l/100km gauge is back.

On the rev-counter in the interiorpics of the convertible it's still there...

...I really hope they aren't going to delete the oiltemperature-gauge.

BMW - Maßstab für Fahrspaß
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2010, 11:34 AM   #131
DASHOCKER
The power of V!
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i coupe steptronic

Garage List
1998 Lexus Gs400  [0.00]
2010 ebony & ivory  [0.00]
2006 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 pics  [0.00]
2009 e92 335 xdrive  [0.00]
The new front end looks like something straight out of Japan. The leds corona rings look like poser versions that you would see on Accords, Altimas etc. Don't screw up thye F30 3 coupe BMW!
      01-17-2010, 11:35 AM   #132
bimmer_335
Major
Rep
Drives: 540 mSport

i'm not digging the front... it resembles 1-series... not as sleek as the current model year.
Appreciate 0