E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Anyone good at RDC faults?

10-09-2016, 08:06 PM   #1
BMWMusician
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Convertible

Anyone good at RDC faults?

I have two rdc faults on my e93. I went to a tire shop, and they said the right rear tire sensor wasn't reading. So I had some sensors that were previously swapped out from the front tires (they tested the sensor before they installed it).

Well after resetting, the tpms inactive warning (yellow) keeps coming on (with a solid tpms symbol on the dash).

I'm getting two errors in inpa below. Does anyone know exactly what they mean? Thanks in advance!

Appreciate 0
      10-09-2016, 09:10 PM   #2
kkasson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 328i, 08 BMW 528i

Did they correctly reset the system? They'll need some sort of advanced scan tool to do it. INPA can do it, and a high end Snap On or Matco scan tool or the like should also be able to. Other makes have a manual way to active it by pressing a combination of lock and unlock buttons or whatever...as far as I know you need a scan tool for BMW.

Not 100% sure how to do it on BMW but the typical procedure for other makes is to put the vehicle into relearn mode and then use the hand held scanner to activate the sensor at each wheel to teach the car which sensors are installed. If you just swap out the dead sensor for one that's working the car will still throw errors until it's taught that the new sensor is installed.

If they did all that correctly then it may be an issue with the actual TPMS receiver unit in the trunk.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2016, 11:13 PM   #3
BMWMusician
Second Lieutenant
Rep

They just put a tpms sensor to it, and said the right rear isn't responding. They replaced it with the "huf" sensor I had. They put it next to the machine to make sure it was working, and installed it on the wheel. Afterwards, they used the bc control to reset, but it didn't work.

Is there a way I can check the receiver unit functionality?

Also let me ask does the e93 have the following parts:

4x Tire sensors
2X TPMS transmitters in the front (are there 2 others in the rear)?
1x rdc antenna
1x rdc receiver in trunk

Last edited by BMWMusician; 10-09-2016 at 11:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2016, 12:23 AM   #4
kkasson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWMusician View Post
They just put a tpms sensor to it, and said the right rear isn't responding. They replaced it with the "huf" sensor I had. They put it next to the machine to make sure it was working, and installed it on the wheel. Afterwards, they used the bc control to reset, but it didn't work.

Is there a way I can check the receiver unit functionality?

Also let me ask does the e93 have the following parts:

4x Tire sensors
2X TPMS transmitters in the front (are there 2 others in the rear)?
1x rdc antenna
1x rdc receiver in trunk
In that case the system very likely just needs to relearn the sensors. On some cars you can relearn it through the dash, others like this one you need the scanner. They might not have realized that you can't do it through the dash. INPA should be able to do it...my car doesn't have RDC so I can't tell you exactly how to do it but I'm guessing if you go into the RDC module you should see an option somewhere to relearn the sensors. It looks like you have INPA on a laptop - you might bring the laptop to the shop and use it to put it into learn mode, and then let them use their scanner to activate each sensor.

INPA will probably tell you what to do, but the process will be something like selecting the option in INPA to put it into learn mode, and then using the hand held scanner to scan each sensor, starting with Left Front and then the Left Rear, then Right Rear and Right Front.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I've been saying scanner for two things...there's a hand held scan tool at the tire place that they can hold next to a TPMS sensor and get a reading from it; and I also mean a scanner like INPA or the Bavarian Technic tool or etc. It sounds like they used the first type to verify that the old sensor was bad and the new one is working, but you need to use the second type to put the car into learn mode and relearn the sensors. It sounds like they didn't do that, and that's why it still isn't working.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2016, 11:50 AM   #5
BMWMusician
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yes they had the hand held tpms tool, but not inpa. I was trying to see if I can test the life or battery of the rdc controls. Would I need gt1 for that? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2016, 05:28 AM   #6
kkasson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I'm not sure about that.

The two errors in the original post are something like this:

604E:
Error: Tire Pressure Control-system

6057:
Error: Wheel electronic RR

Basically if the shop said that the old sensor was dead but they scanned the new one and it worked, I wouldn't suspect anything is wrong with the control unit or anything else. I think they just didn't set up the new sensor correctly.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 12:30 PM   #7
ninevoltz
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328i Sedan

We just had my wife's 2008 328i repaired at the dealer last week. The left rear receiver module, inside the fender well, was dead. The system went inactive, and she drove around on an actual flat tire for who knows how long (run-flats!). I asked for the old part and tore it apart when we got home (I design and build circuit boards for a living). Beru (the company who makes the TPMS systems for BMW) does not coat the circuit boards with conformal coating, which is usually the standard practice for boards that are in high moisture environments. The positive power pin had completely galvanically corroded off of the circuit board. The plastic case is welded/glued shut, and there is one weep hole. Once water gets in, it isn't likely to get out.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0