E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Samsung Helix in center console

01-01-2007, 11:42 AM   #1
mavic1010
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G30 530e

Samsung Helix in center console

First of all, thanks for everyone contributing to this website. It's been extremely helpful especially since I had to take apart some stuff in my car to get this done. I'd say this is about 90% done since I want to hardwire the Helix in the center console. Since I don't drive for more than 5 hours and charge it while at work, I don't need the charger yet.

Anyways, here are some of my pics of the install. Very straight forward. Hardest part was guiding the cable from the trunk to the center console.

In addition, I needed to drill a small hole at the bottom of the cup holder to get the cable through. (FYI - for those that have the 335i sedan, the satellite cable is where the CD changer cables are and not where the TCU is located)

I used the Belkin Tundock XM which works perfectly with the Helix car kit.

I also included some pics of my other mods (M-tech stuff)
Attached Images

Last edited by mavic1010; 01-01-2007 at 01:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2007, 12:31 PM   #2
s4iscool
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

great job! that looks great. I dont think I could pass on the integrated ipod solution if I had idrive, but the portability of the helix is great.

Does the helix's integrated ant. not work without the sharkfin direct connect when in the car?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2007, 01:05 PM   #3
mavic1010
Private First Class
Rep

If it's in the dock, it needs an external antenna, and unfortunately without the dock you can't use the FM modulator (if you wish to go that route).

The easiest solution would have been to just put the Helix in the sunglass tray and use the FM modulator, but that would have only worked with firmware 1.05.

I used to have the ipod and an OEM Sirius solution in my other car (pre-335i). I realized I just didn't listen to the ipod as much as the satellite radio. Plus, the Helix allows for MP3's, so I'm just more careful with which songs I have in there since I'm limited in storage.

If I could control the helix with my i-drive, i'd be in heaven....
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2007, 01:09 PM   #4
s4iscool
Major
United_States
Rep

So you cantplug in the AUX into the headphone jack and use the built in stub ant on the helix? Also, when you do use the AUX, how does the sound compare to the FM modulated quality? My XM Roady sounds better through the FM modulator over the AUX which sounds muddy in comparison...which should be te opposite

Last edited by s4iscool; 01-01-2007 at 02:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2007, 09:54 PM   #5
mavic1010
Private First Class
Rep

The aux is far better than the FM. I could plug in the cable from the headphone jack to the aux input, but that would mean the helix would need to be outside of the center console and I'd see the cable from the center console. And of course if the helix is in the center console, no reception.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2007, 03:46 PM   #6
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Is there a DIY you followed to do this? I searched but I couldn't find one. I'd like to do this but I have no clue how to get the antenna cable from the trunk to the center console.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2007, 04:47 PM   #7
Tonye90xi
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstClass
Is there a DIY you followed to do this? I searched but I couldn't find one. I'd like to do this but I have no clue how to get the antenna cable from the trunk to the center console.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16587

Read through to the end as most of the info is on pages 3 and 4.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2007, 06:44 PM   #8
mavic1010
Private First Class
Rep

Brief Summary.

Take out the bottom of the back seat. You can run the cable under the trunk lining and through to the backseat. The hard part is routing the cable to the center console from the backseat. I had to remove the back of the console and cut more of the opening to guide a clothes hangar from the backseat to the center console. This took the longest time.

Just a hint. 1. Guide clothes hangar to the center console. Tie string to clothes hangar and pull back. Then tie antenna to string and pull from the center again. I hope that was clear.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2007, 07:09 PM   #9
s4iscool
Major
United_States
Rep

the antennae wire is easily routed under the rear seat, to the side of the rear pass side door sill, which doesnt even have to be removed, The wire can be tucked under. Then under the rear seat rails, and then up into the center console.

My install was a little diff having the Roady in the ashtray, but once you get the ant. up to the center console, you have another option to run it tucked into the side of the center console, and then hanger/wire it up through the front pass side, Hardly any pannels need to be removed.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2007, 08:08 PM   #10
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328xi

I've got the coupe, so I think there must be a way to keep the wire in the console the whole way, but there isn't a space under the rear tray like there is in the front console that I can see. I'm still looking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0