E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Mod 1: Installed Roof and Trunk Spoiler

10-15-2010, 09:18 AM   #1
cruvon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90

Mod 1: Installed Roof and Trunk Spoiler

Hi, my first DIY mod with assistance from friends, installed roof and trunk spoilers from JBSPEED (see http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...BSpeed+spoiler) ,images are processed in HDR (5 exposure levels), enjoy
Attached Images

Tiag E90 | JBSPEED Spli t t ers | JBSPEED ACS style Roof Spoiler | JBSPEED M3 style Trunk spoiler | Euro plates | K&N Intake | BMW OEM Performance Exhaust | Debadged | OEM Chromeline trim |230 OEM rims | 19" Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 Non runflats | OEM Burr Walnut Gear knob | OEM Blacklines | OEM Spacesaver |

Last edited by cruvon; 10-20-2010 at 07:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2010, 09:21 AM   #2
V1_R
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30 530i

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [10.00]
i like the look of the lip spoiler...

ps... you got some Rim-Killing curbs there!!!!
      10-15-2010, 10:57 PM   #3
cruvon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

thanks. Yupz, well spotted, scraped the left back rim while taking a sharp left into a oddly angled road..btw saw you reincarnated yourself with a new user name
Tiag E90 | JBSPEED Spli t t ers | JBSPEED ACS style Roof Spoiler | JBSPEED M3 style Trunk spoiler | Euro plates | K&N Intake | BMW OEM Performance Exhaust | Debadged | OEM Chromeline trim |230 OEM rims | 19" Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 Non runflats | OEM Burr Walnut Gear knob | OEM Blacklines | OEM Spacesaver |
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2010, 11:07 PM   #4
sbce90
Me Boosta
Australia
Rep
Drives: 320i / MB C63 / VW up!

Looks good! What are the tabs at the bottom on the rear doors though? Is that just part of the shade?

How is the fitment etc..?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2010, 11:19 PM   #5
cruvon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBC View Post
Looks good! What are the tabs at the bottom on the rear doors though? Is that just part of the shade?

How is the fitment..?

thanks..yupz, those are tabs for the shades, guess have to paint those tabs in TiAg paint.
Spoiler fitment quality is good plus comes pre painted. Fits straight on with double sided tape that's already included, a bit of prep work to get the alignment right and some ispropyl alcohol cleaner to clean the surface up.

Last edited by cruvon; 10-16-2010 at 02:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2010, 07:13 AM   #6
Tra08R
Money never sleeps
Australia
Rep
Drives: e92 - 2007

Something doesnt look right with that lip spoiler, its either too close to the edge, or its a replica, or both. Shows us some close ups.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2010, 03:07 AM   #7
cruvon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tra08R View Post
Something doesnt look right with that lip spoiler, its either too close to the edge, or its a replica, or both. Shows us some close ups.
hi, here we meet again. Yupz you right on that, is normally supp to be about 0.25 to 0.5 inches from the edge(what's the exact measurement?) but wanted keep it flush with the trunk for a slightly different look which is love or hate, will change it to normal distance when get tired of that look, as used only tape instead of adhesive too..as for whether is a rep, yes it is, JBSPEED over here makes good ones close to OEM so thought it not worth going the OEM route on these though do know some have been burnt by going non OEM from some vendors. Plus if ones a perfectionist about these bits then better to get OEM ones since there might be some minor imperfections which are not immediately noticeable unless expect someone to do a microscopic evaluation of these, but would say are about 95-98% perfect and come pre painted unlike OEM, see his link above for reviews,
Cheers

Last edited by cruvon; 10-17-2010 at 07:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2010, 05:44 AM   #8
UnknownPerson
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bike

I actually quite like the look and as you say, if you get sick of it, you can at least change it.

PersianPete is right though, those kerbs are a killer, lol.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2010, 08:38 AM   #9
Dec540
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI

What the fu@# are those things on your windows!?!? Trunk spoiler looks great. I hate roof spoilers but yours is one of the better looking ones if thats any consolation :P

It looks like you may need a bit more practice with HDR. Just a couple of things to make sure your doing. Shooting with a DSLR? Shooting in raw? Using 1, 3 or 5 images (3 or 5 is better) Shooting on a tripod? (you always get better results when all the pictures are identical besides the exposure) Shooting in shutter speed priority (fixed f stop)? If your shooting multiple images what EV are you shooting apart from each other? My DSLR has an option for .3 and .7 I find .7 works much better. There just a few things i can think of off the top of my head
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2010, 06:17 PM   #10
cruvon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dec540 View Post
What the fu@# are those things on your windows!?!? Trunk spoiler looks great. I hate roof spoilers but yours is one of the better looking ones if thats any consolation :P

It looks like you may need a bit more practice with HDR. Just a couple of things to make sure your doing. Shooting with a DSLR? Shooting in raw? Using 1, 3 or 5 images (3 or 5 is better) Shooting on a tripod? (you always get better results when all the pictures are identical besides the exposure) Shooting in shutter speed priority (fixed f stop)? If your shooting multiple images what EV are you shooting apart from each other? My DSLR has an option for .3 and .7 I find .7 works much better. There just a few things i can think of off the top of my head
Thanks, I know, I know, might seem like a no no with those sun shades until one goes down the fatherhood route. We had our first baby a few months back so the little master has taken first priority. The good thing about the front and back shades is I can still roll my windows down with them on and get in some fresh air for the baby and the flexibility of taking them off when not required. Tints would have been another option but when roll my windows down would get no sun protection plus prefer the windows non tinted since don't want the darkened interior look all the time.

About HDR, yupz, total newbie so have to get that right. Don't use a DSLR since usually use small convenient little compacts so no RAW too. Would setting the image quality to Fine capture better details since I don't have RAW func?
A Nikon S10 I have has only manual exposure control so that's out, a Canon HF S100 HD camcoder I have with a camera inbuilt does a -1,0,1 auto bracketing so not very effective I guess if looking at getting a nice range of exposures. A semi pro 2002 Nikon E990 I had thought of getting rid of after thinking would never use it surprisingly has 5 stop auto bracketing, used that to get the above pictures. This is what the manual says

Quote:
Auto Bracketing:

Auto bracketing is used to vary exposure
by fixed amounts over a series of photographs.
This can be used to take multiple
shots of the same subject at different exposure
settings without stopping to adjust
exposure compensation manually

Exposure changes in order +2/3 EV, +1/3 EV,±0 EV, –1/3 EV, –2/3 EV with each photograph
taken after ON is selected (photographs with
“+” value will be overexposed, those with “–”
value underexposed; values are added to
exposure-compensation setting made with
button)
Should this be good enough? Do I need to manually select a fixed fstop?

Offcourse I could try do this manually in any amount of exposures I would like but would be a pain to setup. Also didn't use a tripod, guess that explains all those tree leaves not being sharp. What else should I be looking at in the tones on the car to get it better looking as a HDR?

Also, the Photomatix s/w has quite a few options that have to play with, wondering which would be the best for a good HDR.

On a side note, went to a friends wedding nuptials yesterday and a mature gentleman in front of me was going trigger happy on his iphone taking all pictures in HDR(could see the saving in HDR notification after each pic), so guess is quite popular.

Last edited by cruvon; 10-17-2010 at 11:20 PM..
Appreciate 0