E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > POLL: How many of you have the turbo siren sound from your stock turbos?

View Poll Results: Turbo siren?
Yes, only when cold 63 18.48%
Yes when cold, yes when warm but quieter 85 24.93%
Yes, all the time 56 16.42%
Never 137 40.18%
Voters: 341. You may not vote on this poll

12-09-2014, 09:53 AM   #133
EscapeYourMind
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 BMW 135i

Just adding my experience in case it helps someone find a pattern. I got my turbos replaced for wastegate rattle back in June before going FBO so they are fairly new. After going FBO but still on stock midpipes and stock axleback I did not have any turbo siren. Yesterday I got an axleback installed (supposed to be more free flowing) and noticed turbo siren immediately.

It is pretty annoying since the only thing I have changed is the axleback.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 07:47 AM   #134
JasW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 335is E93 6MT

Garage List
Bumping this in case time has afforded someone with additional insights to share. I never had the whirring turbo whine when I was stock or after going FBO. It just started recently within the past couple of weeks or so, and has become really, really noticeable when running cold.

The only things that changed just before I started noticing the whine were switching from catless DPs to catted three weeks ago, and moving from an E60 tune to a new 93 tune (still being tweaked) two weeks ago when I had to venture out of town to where E85 stations are fewer and farther between. Why would it just appear suddenly like this?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 08:56 AM   #135
ihernandez7910
Banned
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335i 6 spd MT

Garage List
2008 BMW 335  [0.00]
you mean this?

https://youtu.be/Ya-sPj7vv7MOh..
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 09:17 AM   #136
NoSlow5oh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 e90 335i

Mine has this too when cold. It would be nice to know what this is.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 09:23 AM   #137
JasW
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihernandez7910 View Post
you mean this?

https://youtu.be/Ya-sPj7vv7MOh..
More or less, but mine isn't anywhere that bad. Yet . . . .
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2015, 12:28 PM   #138
Mayuri Krab
The Cheap Arse Asian
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 335i & R33 Skyline GTS-T

Mine had a siren sound kinda like a electric car ever since I bought it.

Adding catless downpipes just made it louder (along with wastegate rattles)
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2015, 04:51 PM   #139
austin
Private
Rep
Drives: '07 e90 335i

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
From what Ive read it is a symptom of excessive shaft play caused by bearing wear, and its definitely not something exclusive to these engines. I've been hearing it when the oil is cold for a month or two now, and I started seeing a lot more oil in my intake shortly before that.

I'm on the stock tune ATM and I still hear it, but I've had dps/fmic/tune on the car for ~25k miles. This is on a car with about 113k miles and original turbos. Rattles like crazy too, but such is the n54 life.

Now I'm just babying it around til I get my used replacement oem CHRAs in from RB.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2015, 04:31 AM   #140
limitdown
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E93

I just replaced my original turbos with new OEM turbos. No more ambulance sirens.
The original turbos had some shaft play and blown seals. I had sirens all the time. Hot, warm, cold, day, night, low ambient, high ambient, stock map, any flash.

I'm FBO (minus exhaust) with RB inlets and Wedge tune
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2015, 06:57 AM   #141
stanlalee
Major
Rep
Drives: 07' E92 335i manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin View Post
From what Ive read it is a symptom of excessive shaft play caused by bearing wear.
By the time you start hearing siren sounds from bearing wear your turbo(s) aren't going to last another few thousand miles. I think people are barking up the wrong tree. I think it's just poorly seated factory inlets that leak especially when the compressor if cold. I had zero siren whine, put on aftermarket intake siren sound appears. By the time I'm a few blocks firm my street is gone for good until the car is "overnight" cold. If the factory intake had ever been off for any reason there is a good chance the inlets aren't perfectly seated. All speculation of course.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2015, 08:03 AM   #142
Jklad
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanlalee
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin View Post
From what Ive read it is a symptom of excessive shaft play caused by bearing wear.
By the time you start hearing siren sounds from bearing wear your turbo(s) aren't going to last another few thousand miles. I think people are barking up the wrong tree. I think it's just poorly seated factory inlets that leak especially when the compressor if cold. I had zero siren whine, put on aftermarket intake siren sound appears. By the time I'm a few blocks firm my street is gone for good until the car is "overnight" cold. If the factory intake had ever been off for any reason there is a good chance the inlets aren't perfectly seated. All speculation of course.
This likely makes sense - my 'intake/turbos' whined for the first time last winter, upon cold start on days where the car sat outside all day when it was less than 10 degrees. That's the only time it's happened. Wasn't sure if it was turbo siren or just something to do with the intake, but they've been fine the rest of the year and once warmed up. Perhaps once I finally install cat less dp I'll be able to hear more noises, but for now seems ok.
      12-05-2015, 09:15 AM   #143
wgknestrick
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 xdrive

I have this same sound on my N55 with Injen intake. It came with the intake. I can't see how anything from the shaft play contributes to this at all. This just does not happen on other platforms when turbos go bad.

I think its related back to a natural harmonic frequency of the BW compressor blade, long intake system and also nothing to worry about. Modding changes the natural frequency of the system and that is why it comes and goes with mods. All turbos tend to have their distinct sounds and this is ours. It just sounds different because the long intake tubing is effectively "sliding out the trombone" giving the turbo whirl a much lower tone than the standard high freq jet sound most turbos have.

If we could run stock turbos without the incredibly long intakes, our turbo sound would change to a more "normal one". If half you guys threw as much of your brain at problems as you do your money, you'd be better off. I can't ever imagine replacing turbos for just this.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2015, 03:45 PM   #144
JasW
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgknestrick View Post
I have this same sound on my N55 with Injen intake. It came with the intake. I can't see how anything from the shaft play contributes to this at all. This just does not happen on other platforms when turbos go bad.

I think its related back to a natural harmonic frequency of the BW compressor blade, long intake system and also nothing to worry about. Modding changes the natural frequency of the system and that is why it comes and goes with mods. All turbos tend to have their distinct sounds and this is ours. It just sounds different because the long intake tubing is effectively "sliding out the trombone" giving the turbo whirl a much lower tone than the standard high freq jet sound most turbos have.

If we could run stock turbos without the incredibly long intakes, our turbo sound would change to a more "normal one". If half you guys threw as much of your brain at problems as you do your money, you'd be better off. I can't ever imagine replacing turbos for just this.
My whirring came well after installing DCIs. I can buy the theory that perhaps the poor seating of inlets can suddenly cause the sound. It is odd that with all of the savvy people here, no one has figured out the cause, let alone a solution.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2015, 05:06 PM   #145
924er
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 335i '10

My turbos whine/siren when cold only but once it warms up its fine. They said its common for turbos to whine when cold

DCI intakes, ER chargepipe, TIAL BOV,
VRSF 5in FMIC, BMS Downpipes COBB e30
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2016, 12:11 AM   #146
YoungBlood
LongDongSilver
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Bit of a thread revival here, but I too noticed this noise after going fbo. Checked my inlets, nothing of note, seem seated fine. I was originally running MHD's WG rattle fix at 0 for several thousand miles, and the sound was much less apparent (as stated by someone else in this thread, changing the WG position effects it) I think due to the spool being later, and by then it's drowned out by engine noise etc. I recently adjusted mine, due to them not closing fully at the correct vacuum, and my rattle is now gone, so I removed the rattle fix setting, and that's when the "siren" really became apparent. I have no oil consumption, or other issues other than this noise, and I can reduce it by at least 50% by messing with the wastegate position. I've had it for at least 10k miles, since going catless, and dci, and being tuned. I plan on running the turbo's til they actually leak, and then throwing new (used) CHRA's in.
      09-16-2016, 01:38 PM   #147
bartbes
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Mine made the sound only at first minute cold start, when i pulled of my dci filter during cold start it stopped instantly
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2016, 04:33 PM   #148
YoungBlood
LongDongSilver
Rep

I am going to try swapping my stock airbox back on to see if it makes a difference, I'll report back
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2017, 10:51 PM   #149
Snypa
Captain
Rep
Drives: Like a mahdman !

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungBlood View Post
I am going to try swapping my stock airbox back on to see if it makes a difference, I'll report back
I went back to stock airbox and still have the dreadful siren. I'm now wondering if it could possibly be a hairline crack in the piping to the airbox or even the valve cover.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 08:26 AM   #150
ihernandez7910
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335  [0.00]
that siren noise you dudes are talking about is coming from the turbos. the veins of the compressor wheel are hitting the walls of the housing.

Not sure how you guys are still driving these things around like that. The compressor wheel is slowly coming apart and all those peices of material are eventualy making their way back into your engine's cylinders.

it's only a matter of time before the motor looses compression if don't address the issue
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 11:28 PM   #151
YoungBlood
LongDongSilver
Rep

Quote:
that siren noise you dudes are talking about is coming from the turbos. the veins of the compressor wheel are hitting the walls of the housing.

Not sure how you guys are still driving these things around like that. The compressor wheel is slowly coming apart and all those peices of material are eventualy making their way back into your engine's cylinders.

it's only a matter of time before the motor looses compression if don't address the issue
not true, That's more of a howl vs a whine. Mine is from having fully closed wastegates at idle/low rpms. When logging, I make 3 psi at like 1200 rpm, that's what the noise is from. Open element filters only make it louder. With the stock airbox it just sounds like normal turbo spool, but at low rpms. With open element filters is when it's loud
      03-07-2017, 11:53 AM   #152
Snypa
Captain
Rep
Drives: Like a mahdman !

Quote:

How do you know this? Are you 100% sure? Wouldn't that sound then be more of a grinding one? The siren sound everyone is having sounds more of air related. I could be wrong too but so far no one seems to be 100%.

Thanks
      03-08-2017, 10:46 AM   #153
ihernandez7910
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snypa View Post
How do you know this? Are you 100% sure? Wouldn't that sound then be more of a grinding one? The siren sound everyone is having sounds more of air related. I could be wrong too but so far no one seems to be 100%.

Thanks
The only way to be 100% Sure is to physically inspect the turbo or test the entire boost system. My 2 cents were based off the information given. IMO- trying to get a diagnostics on a forum is recipient for failure especially regarding something as delicate as turbos.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 08:54 PM   #154
JustDriveIt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe E92 Black

If it's only when cold, it is fine. Mine does it, was inspected by BMW, was found to be normal and fine. Goes away with warm oil temps. Has 0 impact on my performance and logs. That was 25,000 miles ago, still chugging fine. I would NOT worry about it and change turbos when it is probably normal and you can get many many thousand more miles out of your expensive to replace turbo.
Appreciate 0