E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > high beam assist delete?

01-06-2018, 04:37 PM   #1
nomiS330d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 330d

high beam assist delete?

My car was spec'd with this feature which is very clever but I'd prefer to not have it, it embarrasses me all the time with taking a second or so longer than ideal to dip. The problem is my 2006 car has had its idrive updated to cic. When I find in the menu the option to switch it off the box isn't ticked and me clicking on it doesn't make any difference. I have Carly but can't find any way to code it out. Can anybody come up with another way to delete it?
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 05:22 PM   #2
08TUNDRA
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 335i

Take the headlights off of automatic, however this also means you have to turn the headlights on and off and disables the adaptive cornering lights so the best option is just to code it off through ncs expert
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 07:30 PM   #3
RocketSurgeon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Manual, CBR650F

I actually added this feature to my e92, though I haven't extensively tested it. I know the mirrors have gone through a number of revision, each with better sensitivity.
To delete the option from your car, you need to read off your FA or vehicle order code using NCS Expert. Find the line $5AC, highlight the line, and press delete on your keyboard. Now write the new FA to the FRM and CAS. Then code your KOMBI, and FRM to default with the command SG_CODIEREN.
I'm wondering what would happen if you unplugged the K-bus wires from the FLA camera. Surely the highbeam assistant wouldn't work anymore, but I'm wondering if your highbeams would bypass the assist mode even without coding. The K-bus wires are on their own separate connector on the mirror, just 2 wires, green and orange.
I figure your CIC won't let you disable FLA because the retrofit likely involves a canbus filter, so it can't actually communicate.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 01:44 PM   #4
opjose
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

I had the same problem when I added high beam assist to my car. The CIC setting would not work.

I went back and checked the Kombi coding to add it there too. After that it worked in the CIC.

The FRM, CIC, KOMBI and VO all needed coding to install high beam assist.

IMHO it is a great feature but relies upon detecting the lights from other cars.

It works well detecting newer cars, but older cars with weak lights cause it to take just a bit too long to dip. Against newer cars it is fairly quick.

Strangely the tail light detection is flawless.
Appreciate 0