E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Aux-In Audio Quality

11-16-2010, 05:11 PM   #1
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Aux-In Audio Quality

SOLVED! Sorry BMW!

See post below:

I'm disappointed in the Aux-in Quality (I do not have 6FL). I noticed it was significantly worse than FM.

I read in a older model thread E46? that someone modded the Aux-in line to remove some capacitors. Does this exist on E90? Is there something limiting the full range signal?

Last edited by taibanl; 11-18-2010 at 04:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2010, 05:18 PM   #2
Rondon3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 Bmw 328i & 2011 335i mspo

Garage List
2008 BMW 328i  [0.00]
no its not get the cable from staples r either get a monster aux cable and connect 2 the ipod u wouldn't be able to tell the difference between aux and usb except for controllin the ipod on the idrive
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2010, 05:31 PM   #3
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Actually there is a distinct difference in use the AUX port vs the USB option.

AUX uses the 3.5mm headphone jack which outputs an analog signal.

The USB option uses the dock connector which outputs a digital signal.

OP, what are you plugging into your AUX port? iPod or iPhone?

You can buy a dock connector cable that has a 3.5mm plug at the other end....this will work for both iPod and iPhone or iPad as well.

If you have a bluetooth device (iPhone or iPad) you can get a bluetooth AD2P streaming device such as the BlackBerry stereo gateway to stream music to the AUX port, using the digital output.

BTW, don't fall for the Monster hype.....it's all BS. Any decent quality wire will preform the same.

After running 50ft+ is where Monster products are useful.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2010, 08:16 PM   #4
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ********* View Post
Actually there is a distinct difference in use the AUX port vs the USB option.

AUX uses the 3.5mm headphone jack which outputs an analog signal.

The USB option uses the dock connector which outputs a digital signal.

OP, what are you plugging into your AUX port? iPod or iPhone?

You can buy a dock connector cable that has a 3.5mm plug at the other end....this will work for both iPod and iPhone or iPad as well.

If you have a bluetooth device (iPhone or iPad) you can get a bluetooth AD2P streaming device such as the BlackBerry stereo gateway to stream music to the AUX port, using the digital output.

Thanks for adding your thoughts guys

BTW, don't fall for the Monster hype.....it's all BS. Any decent quality wire will preform the same.

After running 50ft+ is where Monster products are useful.
IPhone ->Kensington Liquid Aux -> BMW Aux In

(I have also used the Kensington A2DP solution and was unsatisfied with quality)

Obviously this is an analog signal but it should be full range and good quality coming out of the dock connector. No different then hooking a dock up to a home stereo (analog anyway).
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 12:37 PM   #5
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Hmm I'm not sure...are you using an EQ on your iPhone? If you are you should turn it off.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 01:10 PM   #6
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

I've seen several AUX console jacks with loose-fitting female sockets. It sounds cheesy, but mess about with the cable and see if your SQ changes. Mine does but if I keep it in one spot I'm OK. It's a huge PITA to change, and I'm pretty sure they are all the same part. It's almost enough for me to switch to a USB thumb drive.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 02:02 PM   #7
Gilda G
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i xdrive

I bought from apple the Dock Connector to Aux 3.5mm Cable works perfect with no distortion of sound.
      11-17-2010, 08:52 PM   #8
Dackz
Hates Speed Limits
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

I had the 6-FL cable and immediately switched to a USB thumb drive, especially with I-drive its just like having the IPOD hooked up. And the sound is 100% digital. Just make sure your MP3 files are all ID tagged correctly, and dump them all into the main root folder on the USB key and the Idrive does the rest. Its not as fast for switching songs and such, but its an awesome solution. I use a 64gig USB stick too so I have plenty of space (approx 20 gig left).
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 04:19 PM   #9
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

Well, in case it wasn't clear...I don't have 6FL so USB is not an option

BUT

I misdiagnosed the problem. The Aux-in does indeed seem to carry a full range, it was the other link in the chain that sucks.

To be clear I was not experiencing distorted sound, just lowish volume and complete lack of midbass. In fact, what clued me in was the fact that the audio would get even more distant if I boosted the bass using Ipod EQ (just for test sake). I knew then that something was wreaking havoc on my audio signal.

Some of you seemed confident that your Aux in was fine which made me suspicious. I wanted to compare apples to apples (line-out to line-out) so I took my iphone dock out to the car, and ran a 1/8 male to 1/8 male to the Aux-In. Voila!!! Full range audio.

Yes - Kensington Liquid-Aux Sucks. I'm disappointed, as this product is seemingly perfect for us non 6FLers, but audio quality is poor.

Not only does the liquid aux require aux volume at max to even get close to FM and CD dB levels, but additionally, all you hear is guitar and vocals.

Don't buy Kensington and Sorry BMW for accusing you of failing me!
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 05:05 PM   #10
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl View Post
Well, in case it wasn't clear...I don't have 6FL so USB is not an option

BUT

I misdiagnosed the problem. The Aux-in does indeed seem to carry a full range, it was the other link in the chain that sucks.

To be clear I was not experiencing distorted sound, just lowish volume and complete lack of midbass. In fact, what clued me in was the fact that the audio would get even more distant if I boosted the bass using Ipod EQ (just for test sake). I knew then that something was wreaking havoc on my audio signal.

Some of you seemed confident that your Aux in was fine which made me suspicious. I wanted to compare apples to apples (line-out to line-out) so I took my iphone dock out to the car, and ran a 1/8 male to 1/8 male to the Aux-In. Voila!!! Full range audio.

Yes - Kensington Liquid-Aux Sucks. I'm disappointed, as this product is seemingly perfect for us non 6FLers, but audio quality is poor.

Not only does the liquid aux require aux volume at max to even get close to FM and CD dB levels, but additionally, all you hear is guitar and vocals.

Don't buy Kensington and Sorry BMW for accusing you of failing me!
Isn't running the 1/8 from the dock the same as what I suggested? With the dock cable to 3.5mm (1/8) connector?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2010, 05:40 PM   #11
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ********* View Post
Isn't running the 1/8 from the dock the same as what I suggested? With the dock cable to 3.5mm (1/8) connector?
Yes, exactly! I just didn't want to go buying new things without figuring out if the problem was the car. Now that I know its not I am going to try Griffin Autopilot.
Appreciate 0