E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Question about BMW Performance Exhaust - 328i

07-31-2012, 09:38 PM   #1
Wissam
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 e90 328I

Question about BMW Performance Exhaust - 328i

Gents, I had the BMW PE installed yesterday on my 328i sedan...in the first picture below of the OEM muffler, is the black rubber piece supposed to be removed along with the OEM muffler? I would have thought it should have been transferred to the PE muffler...

Second, the PE sound seems to be barely higher than the OEM, and certainly not as loud as all the youtube videos out there...so my question is, when people talk about having the PE installed, does it mean just the muffler piece, or does it also automatically mean the "Y" shaped pipe piece (second picture below) which I think is called resonator delete?...I bought the PE from a private seller so don't know when one actually buys a PE from the dealer, does it come standard with the pipe piece or just the muffler and you'd have to buy the pipe piece separately?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 06:56 PM   #2
MonsterM
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 328i SP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wissam View Post
Gents, I had the BMW PE installed yesterday on my 328i sedan...in the first picture below of the OEM muffler, is the black rubber piece supposed to be removed along with the OEM muffler? I would have thought it should have been transferred to the PE muffler...

Second, the PE sound seems to be barely higher than the OEM, and certainly not as loud as all the youtube videos out there...so my question is, when people talk about having the PE installed, does it mean just the muffler piece, or does it also automatically mean the "Y" shaped pipe piece (second picture below) which I think is called resonator delete?...I bought the PE from a private seller so don't know when one actually buys a PE from the dealer, does it come standard with the pipe piece or just the muffler and you'd have to buy the pipe piece separately?
I just checked my old OEM muffler and the rubber piece is still on it so I it's not supposed to be removed. My PE is much louder than stock but more tame than other aftermarket options. Give it some time it will get louder. The PE exhaust comes with the "Y" pipe and the muffler. It is a two piece with 3 clamps but I had mine welded. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 07:15 PM   #3
MaximusJ
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 340Xi MG 2017

Garage List
That rubber boot is for drone removal on the OEM or MMW exhaust; which are the same.

The PE doesnt have it. ITs normal that its quiet right now. Warm your engine enough and go give her. Be sure to test your car to make sure the RPM meter's needle is working properly all the way up to 9k rpm

You'll eventually break it in doing so and you will love it more and more each day.

Jet Black '06 E90 325I
[Garage]
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 09:45 PM   #4
Wissam
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

appreciate the replies, it definitely helps...the thing is the guy I bought it from and the garage that installed it both gave me the impression that the PE comes as the muffler piece only and that the "Y" pipe piece is something you buy separately...since I installed only the muffler piece, I'm wondering how much the "Y" piece contributes to the loudness, probably significantly since it deletes the resonator...I guess I'll have to wait and see as the PE breaks-in...
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 02:22 AM   #5
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Yeah, you definitely got screwed over on that one - the PE comes with the midpipes & res delete.

I'm gonna say that it is never gonna sound the same, or as loud, if you have not deleted the resonator, as that component assists in the 'muffling' of the sound.

Now you could have the shop do a resonator delete and weld in a Flowmaster 'Y' pipe in place of the resonator, and achieve the same results as the full PE - but they will prolly want to charge xtra for that...
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 08:16 AM   #6
MaximusJ
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 340Xi MG 2017

Garage List
Even if charged extra, go install that Y-pipe ASAP.

Jet Black '06 E90 325I
[Garage]
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 11:18 AM   #7
Hasek9339
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i Montego Blue

I love the way mine sounds I think that since he doesn't have the Y pipe installed it might be affecting the overall noise volume!

OP do you have AT or MT?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 01:00 PM   #8
JHB335
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 XI

I had a PE exhaust installed on a 2008 328 XI and I can tell you the sound when new is NOTHING like how it ends up. New, it's barely there.

I went from being disappointed (having to free rev it inside parking garages with windows down to feel like I had an exhaust) to people telling me they heard me open it up from a half mile away when I got on the highway, to people telling me it sounded illegal (half joking of course).

But it does get substantially louder - when its broken in it really rips, no problems hearing it open up when you are inside the car with the windows up. I felt like it took 8 months or more to fully break in, but my memory is sometimes.... not so good

So anyways, not really sure about the fact that you are missing some hardware - I would get that resolved for sure. Then be prepared to give it some solid break in time.

That being said, if anyone knows why an exhaust would need to break in, I'd love to hear it. I've always felt that metal pipes shouldn't change much over time.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 01:17 PM   #9
benzo23
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 14 F30 AW MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHB335 View Post
I had a PE exhaust installed on a 2008 328 XI and I can tell you the sound when new is NOTHING like how it ends up. New, it's barely there.

I went from being disappointed (having to free rev it inside parking garages with windows down to feel like I had an exhaust) to people telling me they heard me open it up from a half mile away when I got on the highway, to people telling me it sounded illegal (half joking of course).

But it does get substantially louder - when its broken in it really rips, no problems hearing it open up when you are inside the car with the windows up. I felt like it took 8 months or more to fully break in, but my memory is sometimes.... not so good

So anyways, not really sure about the fact that you are missing some hardware - I would get that resolved for sure. Then be prepared to give it some solid break in time.

That being said, if anyone knows why an exhaust would need to break in, I'd love to hear it. I've always felt that metal pipes shouldn't change much over time.

So are you saying its actually more beneficial to buy a used one?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2012, 11:07 AM   #10
Wissam
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Hasek9339, it's manual...

JHB335, thanks for the input...I'm gonna wait another week or so to see how the sound develops and then I'll see if I still need the resonator delete pipe...
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2012, 12:36 PM   #11
DESI4life10
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Coding: Desi4life10@gmail.com

I swapped the rubber boot from my OEM exhuast to the PE exhuast as their is a spot on the PE exhaust to place it. Exhaust sounds amazing so far.

The Y-pipe is a big factor to the sound and definately is required to get the proper PE exhuast sound.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 11:26 AM   #12
JS82
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 328i 6MT Jet Black

As others have said, you need the Y-pipe to get the sound you want.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 02:37 PM   #13
Wissam
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

how long would you guess it takes for the PE to fully break-in and reach its normal loudness levels? 100 miles? 1000 miles? 5000 miles? just need a ballpark
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 07:46 PM   #14
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Ohh what, the bmwpe comes with a res delete? No wonder why i hate how it sounds!

Ed: any exhaust needs some carbon buildup to get the real sound, and at least 1000 to loosen up a bit

I've owned my car from 61,500km. It's now at about 93,000. The exhaust note is TOTALLY different, much more popping on the overrun, much more aggressive sounding.. I'm almost happy withthe sound itself

Outside the car it actually sounds quite wonderful.

Every ~1000-2000km i can notice the note ha changed slightly
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2012, 04:28 PM   #15
Wissam
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

After waiting for 6 weeks and 2,000km for the PE muffler to break in, the exhaust note was still muted, so it was time to complete my PE installation by deleting the resonator. Took my car to Scott's Hot Rod shop last Friday and had the resonator delete done...exhaust note is obviously louder now but still very classy...for the benefit of others contemplating similar work, cost wast $250 taxes in for the resonator delete...
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 04:53 AM   #16
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wissam View Post
After waiting for 6 weeks and 2,000km for the PE muffler to break in, the exhaust note was still muted, so it was time to complete my PE installation by deleting the resonator. Took my car to Scott's Hot Rod shop last Friday and had the resonator delete done...exhaust note is obviously louder now but still very classy...for the benefit of others contemplating similar work, cost wast $250 taxes in for the resonator delete...
Got there in the end Wissam! BTW in answer to the question in your OP, yes, the 'drone damper' should be swapped across from your original muffler to the P/E one. Recently bought a P/E and the dealer kindly copied me the BMW fitting instructions which mentions swapping it over...

BTW the P/E doesn't always come with the resonator delete pipes. It depends on the engine and the market. My (European) 325i has the N53 direct petrol injection engine, and the resonator delete is not possible as that section of the exhaust contains an additional emissions sensor and wiring. Still immensely happy with it though!
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0