E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Shudder in car, help me diagnose.

12-11-2012, 01:13 PM   #1
TheVWDJ
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi

Shudder in car, help me diagnose.

Hey Guys,

I thought I would enlist your help on an issue that cropped up yesterday. I have an '07 328Xi with about 72k miles on it. I was driving home from work with a little gusto and at the tail end of the drive, after I had mellowed out a bit I would notice a vibration/shudder that seemed to emanate from the chassis. The only time I seem to be able to get it to occur is when apply a mild amount of throttle and get it between 1500-2500 RPMs.

The issue didn't seem to be related to steering nor the transmission (car idles just fine and it doesn't hesitate or lag when it shifts but it does seem easier to replicate going up hill.)

The car doesn't seem to be experiencing any power loss either. I had a local buy look and make sure the CV boots weren't worn or cracked at all and he said they appear fine.

My mechanic is going to throw it up on the lift on Friday and check the driveline to make sure its' not related to that, however he speculated that I would probably experience the shake more regularly than I do if it were related to that.

Anyway, I have a few hunches and I though you all could weigh in or offer a likely alternative.

Spark Plugs- I had a misfire code come up a couple months ago but it went away as fast is it appeared. However, wouldn't the car idle rough as well if it were spark plugs?

CV joint needs to be regreased- Guy said this isn't the problem but it seems to fit the symptoms

Drive shaft problems?

Anyway, anything you can contribute would be helpful.

Thanks!
      12-11-2012, 08:38 PM   #2
07lilredwagon
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 328 wagon

this thread has STRONG possibilities for your car......have you had the transmission serviced yet?....get it checked! ( I cannot vouch for the additive mentioned in the article...and will probably not use it save for a last resort, but....the rest is pretty intriguing)

http://www.meeknet.co.uk/e38/BMW_E38...dy_Misfire.htm

I am experiencing the same exact symptoms, and have with some certainty ruled out plugs, coils, VANOS valves, Cam sensor and drive shafts....

I am getting or will be doing the tranny service very soon....

JP

PS only happens to me after the car has had sufficient time to warm up.
what about you?.....mine is an 07 328xi wagon....
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 10:30 AM   #3
TheVWDJ
Rep

Yeah it doesn't really occur until Ive been driving for 15 minutes or so. That lead me to initially think that it was a result of the CV joints needing to be re greased since that would give them sufficient time to heat up.

Interesting development though. I was giving everything a good look last night and found about 3 inches of water in the battery compartment so thats exciting as well, since about an hour after I noticed the shudder the SRS light came on with a passenger restraint malf. I am guessing the two things are unrelated since I can't really think of anything electrical that would cause this vibration.
      12-12-2012, 12:30 PM   #4
TheVWDJ
Rep

Can anyone offer any further insight? I hate to relate the to fallaciously but could these both stem from a bad battery?
      12-20-2012, 09:19 PM   #5
07lilredwagon
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 328 wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVWDJ View Post
Can anyone offer any further insight? I hate to relate the to fallaciously but could these both stem from a bad battery?
I agree, unrelated...to the water or restraint.

When a driveshaft goes bad, it could start to vibrate at certain speeds on the highway and usually make a clicking or tapping sound around slow corners at full or 3/4 steering wheel lock.......You should be able to give them a good tug up and down left and right and feel some play....and hear some clicking....yours are tight, so says your mechanic..so probably not those...

I ruled out tranny mounts, motor mounts, drive shafts, cv joints, lug nuts, control arms, ect. with a visual and "shoving and pushing on them" technique

I am getting no codes, but did check all the coils for proper fitment.....(if it were the coils or plugs, it would be happening all the time, I would think)

When was the tranny serviced?....look into it....50,000 miles or more , it needs fresh fluid....dont be sold on the "lifetime" answer for fluids.....

JP
Appreciate 0