E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Anyone owned a Merc SL - R129?

07-17-2010, 12:25 PM   #1
Jamese93
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 640d Gran Coupe M-Sport

Anyone owned a Merc SL - R129?

Hello all.

As my BMW's going I need to work out what I'm going to drive as a replacement.

I've always had a soft spot for classic mercs (I've had one in the past) and therefore I'm going to test a 1994 300 SL-24, which whilst not really a classic is heading the right direction, and will suffer less savage depreciation than my bimmer!

Anyone had one of these or similar (being most of you are well heeled chaps and chapesses) and if so any views? This one is a 74,000 miles in bornite metallic, grey leather, seems to be in excellent condition and FSH.

I know it won't drive as well as my coupe, but it should be tolerable and last pretty well - as it's a 94 it's before their dodgy build quality days...

Thoughts?

Would have considered an older bmw via colonel classic cars or similar, but prices seem high and to be fair old beemers seem to disintegrate quite well - well, mine have anyway...

Cheers all!

J
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2010, 01:15 PM   #2
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport, F15 X5 40d

try asking the same question at www.mbclub.co.uk a good bunch over there. Am sure you will get lots of advice.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2010, 05:59 PM   #3
jimmylimmy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 'charged VXR8

I owned an R129 SL for almost 2 years. Mine was an SL320.
If you can stretch to a 500, go for it as the economy is barely any worse. Also, if you can find a facelift version, even better. They get nicer seats, a more rounded bodykit and updated electronics. A 500 would be my first choice, followed by a 320. Avoid the 300-24 as the engines are rough, will come with a four speed hydraulic auto compared to 95 onwards electronic 5 speed box. Also, the engine wiring loom disintegrates and can be expensive to diagnose and repair
On the six cylinder models, especially the 300-24, check for an oil weeping from the headgasket as its a common fault. Also, check everything works, the softop should lower/raise very smoothly, any jerkiness could be a sign the one of the motors or ecu's is on the way out and they are expensive to replace, even refurbished, exchange ecu's.
All cars came with a hardtop, make sure you invest in a hardtop stand if one isnt included and try and find one with the wind deflector, makes a hell of a difference. Panoramic hard tops are rareish.
Climate control is a nice optional extra too.

to sum up, look for a SL500, 95 on, with a 5 speed auto and you wont go far wrong
I loved mine and would have another as a weekend cruiser if I had space to keep it

Another option would be the E Class Cabriolet (w124), not available with a V8 but will hold its value better
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2010, 05:59 PM   #4
Jamese93
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 640d Gran Coupe M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterg1965 View Post
try asking the same question at www.mbclub.co.uk a good bunch over there. Am sure you will get lots of advice.
Thanks chief. Will go have a look now - always a good call after a bottle of wine

J
Appreciate 0