E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > stumbles in 4th/5th/6th and occasional rough idle

05-10-2012, 01:52 PM   #1
borisivan
craptastic
Rep
Drives: 2010 335xi

stumbles in 4th/5th/6th and occasional rough idle

Hi,

My 2010 335 E90 MT is out of warranty (~60k miles) and is having the occasional hitch/misfire, usually only seen when in 4th/5th/6th -- usually as soon as I engage the throttle (i.e. within the first second or so I'll sometimes feel one hitch/misfire, and then it's usually misfire-free) The problem first occurred after a spark plug change -- I think it's the original injectors.

Occasionally at idle, there is an occasional hitch/misfire.

Going in for service next week --- is there any chance this is considered part of the powertrain warranty, or covered under any of the class action stuff?

I'm low on $$ and am not looking forward to having them spend hours and hours trying to diagnose it at my expense. Figured it was worth asking.

Regardless -- I've been away from the boards for a while --- any likely culprits? I think it's the original set of injectors, and the problem only developed over the past 6 months or so, so I'm guessing it's not an injector coding issue, correct? Anything else worth looking at?

Thanks in advance for any advice!!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 01:57 PM   #2
Beemw335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Coils injectors fuel pump or even bad carbon buildup.
Best thing is to scan for codes and see whats going on.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 02:31 PM   #3
GeorgiaTech335coupe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Black BMW 335i coupe

My guess is injector. You really need to figure out which cylinder it is. Do you have a way to scan the codes?
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 03:23 PM   #4
JamesM3M5
Some dude
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Mine is a 7/2006 build before the injector recall, but I have a feeling that my injectors are to blame for the occasional stumble/bump feeling when cruising low throttle below 2000RPM and idle. Going to have my extended warranty cover replacing all 6. I've already cleaned the carbon and replaced the injectors. It's not consistent with power delivery, just light throttle cruising below 2000RPM. Really annoying!!
      05-10-2012, 04:06 PM   #5
borisivan
craptastic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTech335coupe View Post
My guess is injector. You really need to figure out which cylinder it is. Do you have a way to scan the codes?
re: scanning codes -- I have the BT cable and application, I'll look for any codes / shadow codes, but I don't recall seeing any the last time I looked. The check engine also never comes on for this.

Were you referring to those types of codes, or were you referring to the injector programming? I'm just coming up to speed on that thread now -- is that something that I can read with the BT tool too, or does that require a different cable/application?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 04:21 PM   #6
JamesM3M5
Some dude
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisivan View Post
re: scanning codes -- I have the BT cable and application, I'll look for any codes / shadow codes, but I don't recall seeing any the last time I looked. The check engine also never comes on for this.

Were you referring to those types of codes, or were you referring to the injector programming? I'm just coming up to speed on that thread now -- is that something that I can read with the BT tool too, or does that require a different cable/application?
BT tool does not support injector coding, yet. You need an INPA cable and software. There are threads here in the N54 forum on what to get and how to set it up.

If you want to tackle it yourself, it is rather straightforward. It will save you a lot of $$ since the dealer or independent shop will have to charge quite a bit. Retail is $134 each injector, $107 if you get them from getbmwparts.com. Don't forget to buy and install new "decoupler elements" with each injector, $8.17 retail / $6.54 each.

My bet is injectors, but it's best to check for codes, make sure your plugs are in good shape or replace them if they're more than 25k miles old, and make sure there isn't a lot of carbon build-up in the intake. Do the easier/cheaper stuff first, of course.
      05-10-2012, 06:07 PM   #7
borisivan
craptastic
Rep

good advice

Thx for the advice!
Appreciate 0