E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > BMW Out of Fuel Pumps / DINAN Comes Through

07-31-2008, 08:50 PM   #1
Johnnyr135
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

BMW Out of Fuel Pumps / DINAN Comes Through

Ok guys if you have been following my threads about my problem with my fuel pump and DINAN, I decided to start a new thread and let DINAN off the hook and give people info on our fuel pump problems. I was jerked around by Greenwich BMW about my Fuel Pump and sent back to Motor Werks West in NJ to look over my DINAN software. Well this is what is happening, after many calls to DINAN and BMW, the DINAN software is fine. But BMW is having huge problems now with our fuel pumps, the dealers have cars sitting at Greenwich for weeks because the new fuel pumps are not national backorder. They told me that one lady has had her pump replaced 3 times and now they just gave her a 745 for a loaner car and told her to just drive that until they can get her a new style pump. The head of the DINAN program at Greenwich called me today and told me that he would call me as soon as he can get me a new fuel pump so I can drop off my car. He told me it would be a waste to drop it off now because they have none to put in. He said that every fuel pump in every 335i, 135i, and 535i is going to have to be replaced and that BMW is just waiting for new ones to be built before going ahead with a recall. They are just not available now, and that is the reason we have not seen it yet. He said it is a huge problem and they have never seen anything like it, BMW was totally caught off guard by this and they are playing catch up. I am waiting for a phone call to bring in my car, but I found a dealer with 1 new style pump and I am going to give him till Thursday to call me otherwise I will bring it to the other dealer. Also the process for getting a new pump now is a hassle they have to run all these tests and go through Pump who ok's if they will pay for a new pump or not. The reason they did not do mine is because they would not drive the car to 130 mph to recreate the problem. But DINAN and Motor Werks West came through for me and took care of my problem and I am just waiting to get my new pump. So the moral of the story, sooner or later we will all be getting the new fuel pump.
      07-31-2008, 09:14 PM   #2
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

Good to see your issue was resolved. I thought we had this fuel pump issue behind us, apparently not.
      07-31-2008, 09:18 PM   #3
PiperG
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i

hopefully the new pumps magically fix the lag problem in all the newer built cars......but's that's just probably wishful thinking.

Dinan, here I come!
2008 E90 335i.| Montego | Black Leather| Aluminum Trim | Premium | Sports Package with 18's | Sirius Sat Radio | Comfort Access | Rear fold down seats | Ordered on May 05, 2008. | Born on May 15, 2008 / Delivered July 23, 2008
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2008, 01:33 AM   #4
vinlikesred
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i '08

could it be that bmw detuned the ecu (with the lag unintended side effect) to make the TT engine a bit more easy on the HPFP?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2008, 05:44 AM   #5
StarrDlux
Pussycat's Meow
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i montego | Stock

probably. audi had issues with their first gen fuel pump (when pushed to 20+psi) it would drop pressure.. no biggie gotten learn sometime.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2008, 06:11 AM   #6
Jake C
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i 2010 335d

Glad to hear the issue is coming to a resolution. However I would be curious to know the part number of the "new" fuel pumps going in all the 135/335/535's. If people have had a fuel pump replaced already would they then have to go back and have the "new" pump put it or not? Apologize for the slightly OT.

- J
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2008, 07:33 AM   #7
I335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '08 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyr135 View Post
Ok guys if you have been following my threads about my problem with my fuel pump and DINAN, I decided to start a new thread and let DINAN off the hook and give people info on our fuel pump problems. I was jerked around by Greenwich BMW about my Fuel Pump and sent back to Motor Werks West in NJ to look over my DINAN software. Well this is what is happening, after many calls to DINAN and BMW, the DINAN software is fine. But BMW is having huge problems now with our fuel pumps, the dealers have cars sitting at Greenwich for weeks because the new fuel pumps are not national backorder. They told me that one lady has had her pump replaced 3 times and now they just gave her a 745 for a loaner car and told her to just drive that until they can get her a new style pump. The head of the DINAN program at Greenwich called me today and told me that he would call me as soon as he can get me a new fuel pump so I can drop off my car. He told me it would be a waste to drop it off now because they have none to put in. He said that every fuel pump in every 335i, 135i, and 535i is going to have to be replaced and that BMW is just waiting for new ones to be built before going ahead with a recall. They are just not available now, and that is the reason we have not seen it yet. He said it is a huge problem and they have never seen anything like it, BMW was totally caught off guard by this and they are playing catch up. I am waiting for a phone call to bring in my car, but I found a dealer with 1 new style pump and I am going to give him till Thursday to call me otherwise I will bring it to the other dealer. Also the process for getting a new pump now is a hassle they have to run all these tests and go through Pump who ok's if they will pay for a new pump or not. The reason they did not do mine is because they would not drive the car to 130 mph to recreate the problem. But DINAN and Motor Werks West came through for me and took care of my problem and I am just waiting to get my new pump. So the moral of the story, sooner or later we will all be getting the new fuel pump.
I was following you pretty well up until the point where you said you found a dealer with 1 new style pump and you're waiting for him to call you. What are you waiting for? - why don't you call him and get that pump in your car before someone else scoops it up? (probably too late now)

After that part of your post, you totally lost me. What exactly did DINAN and Motor Werks West do for you if the fuel pumps are on national backorder? Did they make one for you???
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2008, 11:04 AM   #8
CFM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M6

Mine went the other day and they replaced it the same day with the new style pump. The dealer I go to is one of the largest in SoCal, but I would imagine that your dealer would be able to source one if need be.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2008, 11:26 AM   #9
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List
went to bmw of manhattan because of a few problems, long cranks being one of them. they did a software update, and then later just changed the hpfp. the problems been solved. not sure if its an 'old' design or a new one, but if it works it works. cant complain. is there really a long wait for the hpfp?
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2008, 11:31 AM   #10
amazzzin
Rep
n/a
Drives:

damn fuel pumps. I thought we squared this off already, apparently not. Great news though!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2008, 11:41 AM   #11
ianbiz
Back in a BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i Msport

Is the recall only for the cars with teh N54?
      08-01-2008, 12:27 PM   #12
BzzzBom
Major
Rep
Drives: 05 R53 MINI / 09 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFM3 View Post
Mine went the other day and they replaced it the same day with the new style pump. The dealer I go to is one of the largest in SoCal, but I would imagine that your dealer would be able to source one if need be.
I had my HPFP replaced a week ago with the "new style pump" but it has the same part number as the remanufactured HPFP that was in my car from an October 2007 pump replacement. Apparently, it is not a new style pump but BMW identified certain faulty pumps which were removed from inventory. What is the part number listed on your service invoice?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2008, 03:33 PM   #13
Zeph
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i 6MT SGM CR/BD

Hopefully my ordered car (that is supposed to arrive at the dealer on Monday) will have a "new pump" then.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2008, 03:42 PM   #14
waterp7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 335i

When did they start installing this "new style pump"? My pump was replaced in Jan 08, but I have no idea what kind or which one they used.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2008, 03:03 PM   #15
Johnnyr135
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

I just got off the phone with the BMW Tech, he says BMW is having them do a set group of tests to prove that it is a fuel pump problem otherwise they will not replace the pump. The problem is they cannot detect the problem in my car because it only cuts out at very high speeds. He agrees that it is the fuel pump but he has to keep my car and talk with BMW to get an ok. They gave me a v8 X5 as a loaner, I told them I was not picking up my car until it had a new pump installed. I am happy with my loaner! But I will be happier with my Stage 2 DINAN running properly