E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Results From My Trip to Sacramento Raceway Park

12-14-2008, 10:01 PM   #111
vbb
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post

I agree. This "factory freak" term is something that is hard to swallow for anyone who knows anything about mass produced engines. Sure, there are tolerances can can add up to make one engine slightly stronger or weaker than the other. But we're talking a few % in either direction. Not 10-15% which is what is required to make a car run 3-4mph faster than other cars running the same mods in similar conditions. This is why I suggested a proper inspection. That's all.

Shiv
People throw that term factory freak around like it actually explains something. It doesn't. It's not like the factory accidentally poured in some extra "go fast juice" into Warren's car, but the rest of us didn't get any. But some people who write everything off as "oh, it's just a factory freak" seem to believe just that.

So you believe he's running a hidden 50-shot of Nitrous then? Where would you hide something like that so it would be completely invisible without lifting the car? Again, not saying he is or he isn't... just curious as to how/why he would drive all that way up to see you, knowing you're going to inspect his car (and hoping you will actually), and figure he could fool you. It sounds so far-fetched, that I tend not to believe Warren would do that. But then again, I reject the term factory freak, so really that just leaves me with more questions...
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 10:01 PM   #112
Vyruz Reaper
Reverse Homer
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M240i

Quote:
That's great and all. But aren't you curious as to why other cars with the same mods don't run 117+mph trap speeds? I'd think that would be more of a priority than patting yourself on the back about a decision that doesn't yield you the same performance results.

Shiv
soo whats a typical 1/4 and trap for an e93?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 10:05 PM   #113
Vyruz Reaper
Reverse Homer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbb View Post
People throw that term factory freak around like it actually explains something. It doesn't. It's not like the factory accidentally poured in some extra "go fast juice" into Warren's car, but the rest of us didn't get any. But some people who write everything off as "oh, it's just a factory freak" seem to believe just that.

So you believe he's running a hidden 50-shot of Nitrous then? Where would you hide something like that so it would be completely invisible without lifting the car? Again, not saying he is or he isn't... just curious as to how/why he would drive all that way up to see you, knowing you're going to inspect his car (and hoping you will actually), and figure he could fool you. It sounds so far-fetched, that I tend not to believe Warren would do that. But then again, I reject the term factory freak, so really that just leaves me with more questions...
can there be such a thing as a better break-in? maybe he broke in the car perfectly???
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 10:09 PM   #114
sd390r
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M3

Garage List
2008 E90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
can there be such a thing as a better break-in? maybe he broke in the car perfectly???
good question
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 10:12 PM   #115
getInline
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 335 Coupe, c32 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd390r View Post
its really not any kind of freak at all

with that gas, the custom tune he was running, and the tires

combined with the AT and some driving skill = great results
Wow, given that we're talking about an AT, doesn't say much for all the other JB3 drivers out there.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 10:14 PM   #116
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbb View Post

So you believe he's running a hidden 50-shot of Nitrous then? Where would you hide something like that so it would be completely invisible without lifting the car? Again, not saying he is or he isn't... just curious as to how/why he would drive all that way up to see you, knowing you're going to inspect his car (and hoping you will actually), and figure he could fool you. It sounds so far-fetched, that I tend not to believe Warren would do that. But then again, I reject the term factory freak, so really that just leaves me with more questions.
I didn't know that Warren was coming to Sac. A customer texted me the night before saying he might, but I really didn't think it was likely. If Warren would have PMd me, perhaps we could have arranged something. But to be fair, I don't think anyone knew they were going to the track due to the weather forecast.

Also, my plan that day was to do testing on a customer car (and to get Dan back to SF in time), not to tear down someone else's car in a cold paddock to look for mods. Especially considering the challenges we had with the car that day (tire fitment problems and bad plugs). And, to be honest, it's hard to ask someone (who came there to have a good time) to hand over their car, get it on jackstands (which I didn't have) and watch me spend the next 2-3 hours removing the lights, front bumper, splash pan, etc,. only to fumble around in the dark with the flashlight program on my iphone. I've done several tech inspections in my life and I know that doing it right is the only way to do it. I can only imagine the e-consequences of doing a half-assed incomplete inspection and walking away without anything conclusive.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 10:18 PM   #117
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by getInline View Post
Wow, given that we're talking about an AT, doesn't say much for all the other JB3 drivers out there.
zing....or all the other tune only drivers out there.
      12-14-2008, 10:20 PM   #118
timtech
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

How many runs did he make? With a Sneaky Pete, how many runs can you get from the 10oz bottle putting out 50hp?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 10:22 PM   #119
getInline
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniz View Post
zing....or all the other tune only drivers out there.
Yes, and please know I'm not bashing JB3 drivers, just the absurdity of attributing the performance of HotRods time to driver skill only when we're talking about an AT. And no, I'm not bashing AT drivers either, I'm one of them.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 10:26 PM   #120
imoksoami
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

Quote:
I didn't know that Warren was coming to Sac. A customer texted me the night before saying he might, but I really didn't think it was likely. If Warren would have PMd me, perhaps we could have arranged something. But to be fair, I don't think anyone knew they were going to the track due to the weather forecast.

Also, my plan that day was to do testing on a customer car (and to get Dan back to SF in time), not to tear down someone else's car in a cold paddock to look for mods. Especially considering the challenges we had with the car that day (tire fitment problems and bad plugs). And, to be honest, it's hard to ask someone (who came there to have a good time) to hand over their car, get it on jackstands (which I didn't have) and watch me spend the next 2-3 hours removing the lights, front bumper, splash pan, etc,. only to fumble around in the dark with the flashlight program on my iphone. I've done several tech inspections in my life and I know that doing it right is the only way to do it. I can only imagine the e-consequences of doing a half-assed incomplete inspection and walking away without anything conclusive.

Shiv

Easier just to keep accusing them of being dishonest
      12-14-2008, 10:27 PM   #121
Vyruz Reaper
Reverse Homer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by getInline View Post
Yes, and please know I'm not bashing JB3 drivers, just the absurdity of attributing the performance of HotRods time to driver skill only when we're talking about an AT. And no, I'm not bashing AT drivers either, I'm one of them.
well maybe he is anorexic and weighs only 100 lbs
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 10:30 PM   #122
getInline
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
well maybe he is anorexic and weighs only 100 lbs
At least that would be some kind of logical explanation, except he would probably have to weigh closer to 25lbs!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 10:30 PM   #123
sd390r
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M3

Garage List
2008 E90 335i  [0.00]
I didnt say driver skill only

look at what fuel hes running, and the tires hes using in the rear

the real question of "magic" is whats going on in the tune hotrod has

(im not saying "the GREAT jb3, check it out") what I mean is, the map hes running on, the psi, etc

I do believe hotrod isnt running on nitrous, the part I dont believe so much - is the 15.5psi peak ; )

Id like to see hotrods car on a dyno, just curious
----
hotrod..

do you have any weight reductions done to your car?

also just curious
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 10:32 PM   #124
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by imoksoami View Post
Easier just to keep accusing them of being dishonest
Did you forget that I also offered to conduct a proper tech inspection at a conducive location with appropriate tools in front of 20+ forum members? Please stop with the flaming if you have nothing constructive to add.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 10:36 PM   #125
RiXst3r
Rep
Drives: M235i

This question is for Warren (hotrod182):

When you say your car has stock intake and exhaust, you mean that its also 100% un-modified? (like, no gutted cats, modified airbox, etc)... so basically the car not only has stock parts, but also those stock parts are unmodified? Reason I ask is because you say your car has "Minimal Modifications"... so I am wonder what that entails.

Your car had its turbo's replaced, correct? I remember seeing threads where you showed the inside of your turbos as they were being replaced... was that for the wastegate issue that everyone is having?

Awesome times... with a tune, some gas, and some tires... you pulled 11's... seeing that time on dragtimes.com sitting next to cars with $3000+ worth of stage 3 mods is very impressive.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 10:38 PM   #126
imoksoami
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

Quote:
That's great and all. But aren't you curious as to why other cars with the same mods don't run 117+mph trap speeds? I'd think that would be more of a priority than patting yourself on the back about a decision that doesn't yield you the same performance results.

Shiv
I wouldn't buy a tune because of a trap speed. I just sold a highly modded car and that's not why I bought the 335i. I will never take it to the 1/4 mile track, maybe a road course ocassionally but I doubt it. I have seen stock V8's dyno 20-30 whp different. I actually think it's odd for people to think that all purely stock motors should dyno within a very tight range.
I planned on at some point trying the V3 too but I have a real problem with you repeatedly calling a guy a liar. But that's just me and I am probably in the minority.
Cheers
      12-14-2008, 10:44 PM   #127
MercedesBenz_Forever
German Cars Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mercedes Benz E63 AMG

Hi Warren,

Congrats on your awesome times man, your car is very impressive. I'm sorry we couldn't expand the Famoso event for more people, but I'm sure we'll do so by our next event. The M3 ran 12.1x @ 115 mph and Terry ran an 11.8x @ 120 in his 135 Almost everybody made 10+ passes and a few cars made 35+

By the way, I've seen Warren's car a few times at the track and I did NOT see any NOS setup. He leaves his hood open for all to see. He's also very nice and very knowledgeable about different wheel/tire setups. I'm sure you'll be in the 11.70s range soon
      12-14-2008, 10:46 PM   #128
GreenBeret
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & E92 335i

Nice numbers. I dont understand why people can not appreciate a fast car. This is GREAT NEWS!!! Finally a CUSTOMER in the 11's. Stop the childish antics Shiv, I was looking into buying your tune but if this is way you treat possible clients, i just do not know or understand this.

Also Rixster, even if he got the turbos ported or changed the compressor with a bigger ball bearing part then what is wrong with that? I know many shops that can do that. I do not see this as being dishonest. You guys need to stop harping apon this issue and congratulate the man for being the first customer in the 11's. This forum is AWFUL with this stupid war, you do not see this on any other forum. Honestly it stops me from posting at certain points. Also I am hoping the administration on this site holds the sponsors to the same level of standards as the clients and customers!! This is a poor showing on everyone's part with all of the arguing. Like your mother told you when you were young, if you have nothing nice to say just say nothing!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 10:49 PM   #129
Nikolas
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 996 TT

I don't understand how this claim is still ongoing. Let me get this right - Hotrod drives 400 miles each way to attend a 1/4 mile track day. Runs consistantly, opens hood car for others to inspect and still is called a liar? Wow, just wow. At the very least he should be given the benefit of the doubt.

Nice runs Hotrod!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 10:56 PM   #130
RiXst3r
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBeret View Post

Also Rixster, even if he got the turbos ported or changed the compressor with a bigger ball bearing part then what is wrong with that? I know many shops that can do that. I do not see this as being dishonest. You guys need to stop harping apon this issue and congratulate the man for being the first customer in the 11's.
I did congratulate him on being in the 11s... I just want to know what he meant by "minimal modifications".

Knowing that he works at a BMW dealership, and knowing that his turbos have been replaced based on his past threads, just led me to ask if he thinks that any of this might be contributing to his "factory" freak.

Once again, congrats, its awesome to see a customer 335 in the 11's. I just wanna know WHY the OP had his turbos replaced on the car... I am guessing it was a warranty issue.

-Rick
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 11:01 PM   #131
GreenBeret
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiXst3r View Post
I did congratulate him on being in the 11s... I just want to know what he meant by "minimal modifications".

Knowing that he works at a BMW dealership, and knowing that his turbos have been replaced based on his past threads, just led me to ask if he thinks that any of this might be contributing to his "factory" freak.

Once again, congrats, its awesome to see a customer 335 in the 11's. I just wanna know WHY the OP had his turbos replaced on the car... I am guessing it was a warranty issue.

-Rick

Oh ok, sorry i didnt see that.

But at the same extent, it is my understanding that you can not just BOLT ON a new and bigger turbo because the manifold for the turbo is welded onto the turbo. Then that would make it seem to me that he would need a new manifold associated with a bigger turbo. anyone correct me if i may be mistaken. thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 11:12 PM   #132
Turkishexpress
Gixxer Man
Turkey
Rep
Drives: '08 335i E90 / '06 Range HSE

For Hotrod to run a dry shot, which I believe was the accusation, without any visual monitoring or control system would be crazy in my honest opinion and no one in their right mind would risk a 15K block to run 117mph trap speeds... Now I'm no expert on the n54 but my common sense leads me to believe that our direct injection system and weak fuel pump won't be powerful enough for a proper dry shot system anyways... I guess you can run a 25 shot but really... why?

Former Stable: 2008 MB C300, 2007 Chevy Avalanche, 2006 Evo IX (544awhp), 2005 Sti, 2003 Evo...
Appreciate 0