E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > suspension??

08-01-2011, 10:45 PM   #1
jackass1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: black 335i convertible

suspension??

Hey Peeps,

New to the bimmer world. Have a 09 335i convertible. Would like to make the suspension more stiff. I thought sway bars would do the trick but after reading a couple of postings. That doesnt sound like the best option. I am running stock rims now but would like to upgrade to 20s and lower the car. Any help is greatly appreciated...
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 11:18 PM   #2
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: A metal box with a roundel

If I were you, I'd consider this:

1. how much $$
2. care for rebound/dampening/height adjustability?
3. what would the suspension be used for? (tracking, spirited driving, or both)

Answer those, and you should have a good starting point......I personally went with PSS10s and couldn't be more happy.....Sways are not necessary unless you're a track junky.....

Just my .02

'08 AW E90 335i
PROcede V5 | BMS DCI | RR DPs | ETS FMIC | FORGE DVs | Stett CP | Vanguard | PSS10
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 04:34 PM   #3
jackass1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I like to drive aggressive. Probaly wouldnt track it. Im more of a 1/4mile type. Would like to keep cost under $2200. Would like to be able to adjust height and set up stiffness.

Why did you go with PSS10s vs the KWs. See that a lot of people are running the KWs.

Appreciate your help. This is my first import. Only ever had american muscle. Cars are very simple compared to BMWs.

Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 04:55 PM   #4
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Ok, so it sounds like you're in the same boat I was.....

I didn't want to go with KWs, well, because everyone and their mom has them. Also, I've read some noise issues post install on the KWs. Of course, take that with a grain of salt, as those who encountered the problems are probably .1% of the people who runs KWs.

Second, I always heard good reviews (the few that I came across) about the PSS10s. They're easy to adjust as far as the shock goes. I wanted height adjustability because I didn't want to slam my car. I wanted to maintain somewhat of a ZSP (sport pkg) height, maybe .5-.75" lower. Mainly I wanted the ride to be stiffer, hence the PSS10s with adjustable dampening. I think paired with their spring rate, I think it makes for a good ride.

So I narrowed it down to two options: Eibach multi-link pro R1s, or PSS10. The PSS10s won my vote due to the simple adjustability of the shocks, I don't need to jack the car up, or take the wheels off to do that. Simply, turn the front wheels to the right/left to adjust the front struts (the knob is on the bottom of the shock body), and for the rears, the adjustment knobs are on the top of the struts, so I had cut two holes in the trunk liner to gain access. They supplied me with the black caps to cap off the holes, so everything looks pretty OEM.

Plus, Bilstein has a good rep, not to say the other don't......

So maybe you should consider: PSS10, Eibach multi-link pro R1, and KW V2? Maybe even the Tein coilovers or even the TC Kline single adjustables from HP Autowerke.......I've also heard good things about those two.

Hope this helps!

They're all well under $2200 even with shipping, with Eibach being the cheapest in price, I think......

P.S. The TC Klines might be just a bit more with shipping....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackass1 View Post
I like to drive aggressive. Probaly wouldnt track it. Im more of a 1/4mile type. Would like to keep cost under $2200. Would like to be able to adjust height and set up stiffness.

Why did you go with PSS10s vs the KWs. See that a lot of people are running the KWs.

Appreciate your help. This is my first import. Only ever had american muscle. Cars are very simple compared to BMWs.

Thanks again.

'08 AW E90 335i
PROcede V5 | BMS DCI | RR DPs | ETS FMIC | FORGE DVs | Stett CP | Vanguard | PSS10
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 10:31 PM   #5
jackass1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstmx_ryder View Post

I didn't want to go with KWs, well, because everyone and their mom has them. Also, I've read some noise issues post install on the KWs. Of course, take that with a grain of salt, as those who encountered the problems are probably .1% of the people who runs KWs.

Second, I always heard good reviews (the few that I came across) about the PSS10s. They're easy to adjust as far as the shock goes. I wanted height adjustability because I didn't want to slam my car. I wanted to maintain somewhat of a ZSP (sport pkg) height, maybe .5-.75" lower. Mainly I wanted the ride to be stiffer, hence the PSS10s with adjustable dampening. I think paired with their spring rate, I think it makes for a good ride.

So I narrowed it down to two options: Eibach multi-link pro R1s, or PSS10. The PSS10s won my vote due to the simple adjustability of the shocks, I don't need to jack the car up, or take the wheels off to do that. Simply, turn the front wheels to the right/left to adjust the front struts (the knob is on the bottom of the shock body), and for the rears, the adjustment knobs are on the top of the struts, so I had cut two holes in the trunk liner to gain access. They supplied me with the black caps to cap off the holes, so everything looks pretty OEM.

So maybe you should consider: PSS10, Eibach multi-link pro R1, and KW V2? Maybe even the Tein coilovers or even the TC Kline single adjustables from HP Autowerke.......I've also heard good things about those two.

Hope this helps!

They're all well under $2200 even with shipping, with Eibach being the cheapest in price, I think......

Lots of great information.. I think I have narrowed it down to the PSS10s and AST 4100. Just spent a couple of hours going through some old postings.. A lot to know..

Thanks again for your help.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 11:37 PM   #6
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Np! Glad I can help!

'08 AW E90 335i
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 12:10 AM   #7
ak47firepower
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Sapphire Black 335i Cab

Garage List
2008 335i E93  [0.00]
Nice info here. So Bilstein supplies the little black cover caps for the rear adjustment as well or was it the vendor that supplied you with them? Also which vendor did you use by chance and would you recommend them?
Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstmx_ryder View Post

Hope this helps!

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 12:32 AM   #8
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I got them through EAS (European Auto Source) and I would definitely recommend them.

Also, the caps came from Bilstein. They were in the box that the rear shocks were in.

GL!

'08 AW E90 335i
Appreciate 0