E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Great Lakes > Ticket in Canada - how (and if) I should pay

09-14-2012, 10:22 PM   #1
DaanBMW
Captain
Romania
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i coupe

Lightbulb Ticket in Canada - how (and if) I should pay

So I got a damn tkt up in Canada, specifically in BC (Vanc island). I'm from Oregon but I'm thinking you guys here in the Great Lakes region have run into this quite often.

The tkt has a discount of $25 CAD if paid within 30 days ... subtle the Canadians. Anyway, there is no way to dispute it remotely, only in their court system, so it's pretty much a done deal.

Well, turns out since this can be only be paid in CAD not USD, I am running into an unexpected issue: I can't pay. The much-advanced American banking system is not able to help - called my credit union, which suggested larger banks so i called both Chase & BofA - all no-go's. I tried PayPal which can do CAD but need the "sellers" email or an invoice or money request from them. I only have payment address, not even a phone number - apparently that would be too hi-tech in Canada (Don't get me wrong, I like Canada but this kinda ticks me off; really, no phones ?).

So can anyone suggest how to pay in CAD from here in the US ?

And since I wasted quite a bit of time with this, anyone know what exactly can happen if I don't pay it ? I can imagine driving the same car again in Canada and getting another tkt can be bad, but except for that scenario what can happen ? Canada might have some sort of integration with the US systems, but that is just speculation.

Anyway, please let me know what your experience is. Thanks.
. BMW Perf: v2 springs + v1 dampers. Valeo SMFW+clutch. 034 MotorSport engine mounts
. Short Shifter + Turner PU bearing + ZHP M weighted shift knob. CDV delete
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 03:16 PM   #2
jprad
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 e90 335xi

Garage List
you might get a notice for a ticket after a year or so, then they tell you how to pay in USD.. its pretty stupid, dont stress it lol
      09-15-2012, 03:24 PM   #3
MrDummy
→сяuisiиg iи му вмш←
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Space Gray 328i

Garage List
2010 BMW 328i  [0.00]
You should pay it...imo..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 10:42 PM   #4
DaanBMW
Captain
Romania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprad View Post
you might get a notice for a ticket after a year or so, then they tell you how to pay in USD.. its pretty stupid, dont stress it lol
Is this for real or just speculation ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDummy View Post
You should pay it...imo..
OK, that was my initial intention. but how ?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 01:31 AM   #5
WickedB
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaanBMW View Post

Send a check... the banks will do the conversion... what's the big deal?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 04:42 AM   #6
jprad
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 e90 335xi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaanBMW View Post

paid mine after a year or 2... just the initial amount, they only sent a notice to my home in jersey like 9 months after or so.. they dont have all state info i think but i from jersey so..

born canadian. know its a major hassle their sites and paying/disputing.. their sites not equipped for it.
      09-17-2012, 02:02 PM   #7
DaanBMW
Captain
Romania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedB View Post
Send a check... the banks will do the conversion... what's the big deal?
Because if i calc it @ today's rate, for sure on the day they cash it it'll be different, plus I've no idea if there are fees involved in the conversion. So it pretty much cannot be done on the exact amount required, there is no way. So the way I see it - if it's short they won't take it, it's more that would also not count, unless in Canada the diff. counts as tip or something, you can't just send another amount to an institution and call it good. I'm not 100% sure on this last point, but given I can't just ask them (no phone#) I can't see how they would account for the diff.
. BMW Perf: v2 springs + v1 dampers. Valeo SMFW+clutch. 034 MotorSport engine mounts
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 04:16 PM   #8
MidwestGolfBum
Knower of all Things Useless
North Korea
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92s

No possible way to get a money order or similar made out for that amount in CAD? Obviously there will be fees involved.

When I received a ticket there I paid it when I was still there to avoid this. Sorry to not be more help.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 08:26 PM   #9
P-rex
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black 335is DCT

Send a check and add 5 buck onto the amount... I know that the province of Ontario has a credit card payment option. If BC has a treaty with your state .... Your insurance company might find out.... If you default on payment and they come send in recourse to your state to claim the ticket...
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2012, 05:23 PM   #10
chavez
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i

Happened to me years ago in Vancouver. The cop that gave me the speeding ticket told me that it wouldn't go on my record in the US and it is up to me whether or not to pay. I didn't pay and every six months or so I would receive a notice from them saying that the fine is overdue. That continued for a couple of years and then just stopped.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 09:57 AM   #11
DaanBMW
Captain
Romania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
Happened to me years ago in Vancouver. The cop that gave me the speeding ticket told me that it wouldn't go on my record in the US and it is up to me whether or not to pay. I didn't pay and every six months or so I would receive a notice from them saying that the fine is overdue. That continued for a couple of years and then just stopped.
Thanks for that info. I decided I'll do the same, just from the time I spent on this it's not worth paying one cent more...
Appreciate 0