E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA > Seating Position, Lumbar Support and related topics thread

11-24-2012, 11:29 PM   #1
BlueBimmer
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Convertible

Seating Position, Lumbar Support and related topics thread

I couldn't find a thread on this and actually don't know where to post it but here goes.

My conundrum: I am used to the "90's" style seating where you'd tilt back the back of the seat and lower the seat itself. I found that in a bimmer (and many high performance cars) the seat has a lot to do with how you experience the car.

Let me repeat/clarify this: The seat position will change the way you experience your car.

I am still looking into finding the best possible position, I am not an expert and really looking for people's different experiences to try to find an optimal "guide". BMW is well known for having superior seat designs and I am really glad (even though I didn't know it at the time) that I got the sport seats, when I get a 328- loaner without the sport seats I can really feel the difference! So I've been trying for months now to slightly adjust the seat to find the best possible driving experience "seat wise".

I have the heated sport seats with memory, adjustable wings and lumbar support. So far I am slowly moving the seat every week more and more upright back, lower seat (with raised knees) and closer (or farther) to the pedals upto a point where my legs are now only slightly bent when one foot is on the brakes and the other is on the foot rest (automatic tranny). I am slowly finding this position gives me more control of the car in any circumstance and also how you experience bumps/road imperfections is entirely different this way that when your back is tilted back even slightly. This way seems like the "disturbance" is minimal - almost like upgrading your shocks with faster responding ones (not really but you get the idea).

One area where I am clueless is the lumbar support - I have the circular 8 way dial. I would really like to know how this thing really works, I am not sure the which way to press it for what exactly, and I couldn't find anything useful on this online. When I played around with it while the back of the seat was tilted back I always ended up so uncomfortable (even to the point that I got back aches) that I always went back to eliminating the bump in the seat back as much as I possibly could. Now with the back of the seat upright, apparently this thing has a purpose that I may be able to use. It feels that there is a spot in the lower back that you can set it to to help your bake brace against when you push the brakes hard or accelerate quickly. But it's kind of a hit or miss still on where it should be - any input here much appreciated.

As for wing adjustment, I started wide just barely noticeable and kept tightening until it was too tight to the point it was uncomfortable then dialed it back to where I got the seat to help hold me upright in turns without any play in my back while also not very noticeable in straights. I am not entirely done but have no complaints on this (And I feel sorry for those who don't have this function - especially if you do any suspension modding as these wings are all about how you feel during turns.

I found this a while ago and took it as a starting point:

Sorry about the lengthy post, let's hear your thoughts, if this is in the wrong section, please let me know where to post it.

Last edited by BlueBimmer; 11-24-2012 at 11:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 12:43 AM   #2
Gugs
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 JetBlack

Sit where ever and how ever You feel the most comfortable. Every person is a different shape, size, weight. Some have back problems, others short arms.
Your putting way too much thought into this.

The lumbar is pretty self explanatory if you play with it. One way deflates the rest inflate.

Only thing i can suggest you to do is increase the side bolsters or as you call them "wings" when you want to drive aggressively, other then that sit where YOU feel best with whatever lumbar you need.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 02:14 AM   #3
BlueBimmer
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Just trying to get more opinions on this since most people's attitude is "adjust where you feel most comfortable" , I may be over thinking it but maybe not. The more people weigh in the more I will know.

Last edited by BlueBimmer; 11-26-2012 at 01:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 12:47 PM   #4
Gugs
Banned
United_States
Rep

Its not an attitude its a simple Fact.

It has no bearing on anything and is purely subjective.
How you dont understand that is mind boggling.

Your whole thread is just a troll imo

And people "weigh in" not "way in" btw
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 01:53 PM   #5
StabPreflop
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '23 M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gugs View Post
Its not an attitude its a simple Fact.

It has no bearing on anything and is purely subjective.
How you dont understand that is mind boggling.

Your whole thread is just a troll imo

Yeah, simple and 100% wrong. Go ask any professional driving instructor if your seating position "has no bearing on anything and is purely subjective." Be sure to post the video of him laughing in your face.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 01:56 PM   #6
BlueBimmer
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Thanks, edited.

BTW - It's my thread - I'm not provoking anyone, how can that be trolling - if it's in the wrong section maybe?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 02:00 PM   #7
StabPreflop
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '23 M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBimmer View Post
Thanks, edited.

BTW - It's my thread - I'm not provoking anyone, how can that be trolling - if it's in the wrong section maybe?
LOL, ignore that guy, he is the only actual troll in this thread. You might be better off moving it to a different forum, though.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 02:00 PM   #8
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Check this thread out, BlueBimmer, it might help you some.

Also, the lumbar is only 4 way...inflate/deflate and up/down so you hit the right spot in your back where it is the most comfortable.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=seat+position
      11-26-2012, 03:20 PM   #9
gdgraham
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i Coupe

Garage List
You can check this out too. I've looked it up before when I wanted a better answer than "most comfortable".
http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthre...+seat+position
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 04:23 PM   #10
BlueBimmer
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
Check this thread out, BlueBimmer, it might help you some.

Also, the lumbar is only 4 way...inflate/deflate and up/down so you hit the right spot in your back where it is the most comfortable.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=seat+position
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdgraham View Post
You can check this out too. I've looked it up before when I wanted a better answer than "most comfortable".
http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthre...+seat+position
Guys - Thank you. I will try this stuff out. I didn't know Lumbar was an air mechanism!
It's much easier to adjust with a guide than without. I am very grateful.
Cheers..
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 07:25 PM   #11
Gugs
Banned
United_States
Rep

This thread is hilarious, next thread should be is there a proper way to set your mirrors for optimal viewing.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 06:44 AM   #12
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Quote:
This thread is hilarious, next thread should be is there a proper way to set your mirrors for optimal viewing.
It amazes me how many people have 3 "rearview" mirrors set instead of 2 sideview/blindspot and one rearview. Maybe you should start a thread on that for a good laugh

Last edited by wrickem; 11-27-2012 at 06:51 AM..
Appreciate 0