E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - New England > Advice with New England dealerships

04-28-2009, 11:27 PM   #23
dj128
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '09 335i E92

The other thing, I saw the Coral Red interior in person and was not impressed. It was way too bright, but maybe it was because I first saw the M3 in space gray with the fox red novillo which is a much more subtle and darker red color... one day... one day...

Ultimately I think I'm going to go with the Monaco Blue and Saddle Brown.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2009, 06:43 AM   #24
dj128
Private First Class
Rep

For all of you who ordered your car (most of you seems like) did you have to put down a deposit when ordering, and if so how much? Did this get credited towards the purchase price?

Any extended warranties that you all recommend, especially in the New England area? I plan on driving the car close to 15k-16k miles per year.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2009, 09:05 AM   #25
TL
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Happy on H&R coil overs

Garage List
2008 335xi  [1.00]
Monaco Blue and Saddle Brown is nice too.

Back in 2000/2001 when i ordered my 325ci from HC, I had to put down $500 on my credit card and they said it was refundable if i decide to change my mind. My friend and i both ordered one but he backed out of it and got his refund.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2009, 09:50 AM   #26
holson
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Enterprise Rent-A-Car

no way man, coral red is the best!

actually i almost got mine in monaco blue/saddle - such a classy combo

i put down $500 when I ordered mine and 7 weeks later it arrived
      04-29-2009, 11:38 AM   #27
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj128 View Post
The other thing, I saw the Coral Red interior in person and was not impressed. It was way too bright, but maybe it was because I first saw the M3 in space gray with the fox red novillo which is a much more subtle and darker red color... one day... one day...

Ultimately I think I'm going to go with the Monaco Blue and Saddle Brown.
Monaco Blue on Saddle Brown is a very classy combo if you think Coral Red is too bright in person. Personally I think the Fox Red is too brownish in the M3.

Quote:
For all of you who ordered your car (most of you seems like) did you have to put down a deposit when ordering, and if so how much? Did this get credited towards the purchase price?

Any extended warranties that you all recommend, especially in the New England area? I plan on driving the car close to 15k-16k miles per year.
Usually deposit is between 500-2K depending on how desperately they want your business. I have always put down 500-1K for deposit.

They'll discuss rolling in the extended warranty plan when they deliver your car. Remember pricing is ALWAYS negotiable
      04-29-2009, 12:21 PM   #28
holson
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Enterprise Rent-A-Car

I also like Jet Black/Saddle, especially with the shadowline trim... very classy

anyways - back on topic, did you order the car yet?
      04-29-2009, 03:36 PM   #29
dj128
Private First Class
Rep

Ordered the car:

Monaco Blue/Saddle Brown
Automatic
Sport package with 18" wheels
Heated front seats (just because the wife wanted it whenever she drove the car, assuming I even let her drive the car...)
Alarm

I didn't get premium package because all the little gadgets didn't seem to be worth the extra $1000. Not a bluetooth user, no garage for parking, may like the dimming mirrors, but that's it.

Any thoughts on the Lojack?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2009, 10:08 PM   #30
patbaker82
Rep
Drives: 2009 335XI coupe

Quote:
Wow, which dealership was this???
Ridgefield BMW - I initiated the sales conversation via the internet. Then did a walk-in to finalize pricing details.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2009, 10:10 PM   #31
patbaker82
Rep
Drives: 2009 335XI coupe

Quote:
Ordered the car:

Monaco Blue/Saddle Brown
Automatic
Heated front seats (just because the wife wanted it whenever she drove the car, assuming I even let her drive the car...)
Alarm

I didn't get premium package because all the little gadgets didn't seem to be worth the extra $1000. Not a bluetooth user, no garage for parking, may like the dimming mirrors, but that's it.

I was actually talked out of the lojack. Apparently the newer BMW's can be tracked ( BMW Assist ). lojack is just more sophisticated and linked with most police departments. Also, I believe lojacked cars can be tracked even when they're inside.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2009, 10:19 PM   #32
TL
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 335xi  [1.00]
Quote:
Ordered the car:

Monaco Blue/Saddle Brown
Automatic
Alarm

I had it on my 01 325ci but never really had to use it so i skipped getting it this time. another option instead of lowjack is the BMW Assist program it's like the Onstar program, but i'm not too sure what the cost to subscribe would be.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2009, 12:30 PM   #33
dj128
Private First Class
Rep

I've seen a few opinions on different threads, but just wanted to get some more thoughts about this issue:

The 18" wheel upgrade has performance tires. Will I survive Boston's winters with this setup and xDrive? If not and I need to get winter tires anyways, should I just get the non-xDrive 335i? And use the extra money to purchase a separate set of winter wheels/tires.

I have a friend who drives a 5-series RWD with a set of Blizzaks, he has never had problems in Boston winters. Any other thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2009, 01:13 PM   #34
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

You need snow tires. Performance tires simply don't work in snow, and work poorly in temperatures under 40F regardless of conditions.

In my opinion, you should be able to do fine with a non-xDrive around here (with good snow tires). Unfortunately, I live on a decent sized hill (and drive a lot of miles) so the xDrive was the best option for me.

But non-xDrive or xDrive, you'll need snows. You don't necessarily need rims (you can mount the snows on your OEM rims), but it might be a good idea if you want to keep them nice. If it's a lease, don't bother unless you want to upgrade the stock wheels anyway.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2009, 04:08 PM   #35
Kev
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I've seen a few opinions on different threads, but just wanted to get some more thoughts about this issue:

The 18" wheel upgrade has performance tires. Will I survive Boston's winters with this setup and xDrive? If not and I need to get winter tires anyways, should I just get the non-xDrive 335i? And use the extra money to purchase a separate set of winter wheels/tires.

I have a friend who drives a 5-series RWD with a set of Blizzaks, he has never had problems in Boston winters. Any other thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Snow tires are necessary regardless whether you have X-Drive or not. The common mistake is to run the summer tires in winter thinking that you have AWD. AWD only helps you get traction, i.e. to start your car. However, you need proper tires to grip on to the road when you want to stop your car. Summer performance tires turn rock hard below 4 degrees Celcius and are not suitable for driving in the winter.
      05-03-2009, 08:04 PM   #36
Mr. BMW
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
2012 M3  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
2018 Jeep Grand Che ...  [0.00]
I personal don't like the idea of having all-wheel drive on all the time. I just don't see the point of driving with it on in summer or when the roads are dry. Plus the added ride height, weight and more fuel consumption.

Instead of getting LoJack, you can get the BMW tracking system that comes with BMW assist. You get the same insurance discount that you get with LoJack in MA.

Also, the Bluetooth feature is really cool. If you talk a lot on your cell while driving, it's a must have.

Another option I like, especially on a dark car, is the sunshades.

Wheel and tire insurance is also a must have with 18 inch wheels. I've had 3 tires replaced and fully covered by the plan. I only got the 3 year plan which expired two weeks ago and of course I hit a pothole last week and damaged a tire.
06 330i Monaco Blue/Black (retired)
02 X5 3.0 Topaz Blue/Black (retired)
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2009, 10:18 PM   #37
blueaudi18
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 08' 335i , mb sl500

dont forget Comfort Access

POSTED WITH APOLOGIES FOR POOR SPELLING, GRAMMAR AND SENTENCE STRUCTURE
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 06:56 PM   #38
dj128
Private First Class
Rep

My car has finally arrived, picking it up tomorrow. That was kinda fast, ordered on 5/1/09, arrived on 5/31/09. I was ready to sign the papers when they started asking if I wanted to purchase all this extra insurance? What are you thoughts? Yes or no on the following?

(1) Gap insurance? - something about in case I total the car...
(2) Simonize coating? - extra protective coating, apparently never have to wax the car...
(3) Wheel/Tire protection? - self explanatory...
(4) Extended service? apparently this cost goes up with every mile you add on to the car...
(5) Extended maintenance? can buy at any time...
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 07:05 PM   #39
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

Short answer: No. No. No. No. No.

Long answer: Simonize? You can wash/wax it yourself, with better products. You still need to seal/wax the car to protect the paint. Absolutely no layer of protection lasts forever (or more than 6 months, for that matter). That's clearly dealer bullcrap. For the extended service/maintenance, I'd wait until your 4 year/50k mile normal warranty is up before deciding on these. Depending on what you're doing with the car after the initial warranty expires, you can decide whether to go for it or not.

The only one off that list that I'd even briefly consider is the wheel/tire insurance. If I remember correctly, it's roughly +$10/mo, which isn't bad. The RFTs (and rims, for that matter) are expensive. Just be sure you understand what you're getting and when you're covered - I don't think they'll go replacing tires for you due to mileage or anything. I still passed on this when getting my E90.

Some may have different opinions, but I don't believe that stuff is worth it at all. Just a way of the dealer getting a extra couple of hundred bucks out of you.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 07:22 PM   #40
Kev
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
My car has finally arrived, picking it up tomorrow. That was kinda fast, ordered on 5/1/09, arrived on 5/31/09. I was ready to sign the papers when they started asking if I wanted to purchase all this extra insurance? What are you thoughts? Yes or no on the following?

(2) Simonize coating? - extra protective coating, apparently never have to wax the car...
(4) Extended service? apparently this cost goes up with every mile you add on to the car...
1. Yes if you are leasing the car. This will protect you from your liability in case it was totaled.

2. No, it doesn't work and requires reapplication every 3 months to keep the lifetime warranty. Better off getting the car Zaino'ed twice a year.

3. Depends on whether you buy aftermarket rims / tires coz these are not covered under the dealership clause.

4. No, you can buy it within the 4 years of original warranty

5. No, you don't need it coz it only covers stuff like oil change, which is cheap.

I basically declined everything when I bought my previous 2 cars.
      06-01-2009, 11:13 PM   #41
blueaudi18
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 08' 335i , mb sl500

did you check bmwsonline.com

they are selling bmw all at invoice. Check it out..

POSTED WITH APOLOGIES FOR POOR SPELLING, GRAMMAR AND SENTENCE STRUCTURE
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 07:08 AM   #42
twinturboa51
Captain
Armenia
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey F80 M3

no, no, yes (assuming sports package), no, no
Gap only protects you if you owe more on the car than its worth. i cant imagine this being the case in todays market where credit is tight. and it will only reimburse you for whatever that amount is. so if they say the car is worth 10000 and you owe 10500 they give you the 500 back. this is how it was explained to me and i dont think its worth it.
      06-02-2009, 01:53 PM   #43
TL
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 335xi  [1.00]
Quote:

Like most have said here, definitely decline/avoid all of the dealer extra options when signing the papers. They're marked up and extra profits for the dealership according to the website below. Give it a read when you have the chance it's really helpful IMO.

http://www.carbuyingtips.com/car6.htm
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 07:10 PM   #44
dj128
Private First Class
Rep

Thank you everyone, picked up the car today and the only thing I purchased was the tire/wheel insurance package. I almost declined it, but I drive over at least 1-2 potholes per month during the spring and said what the heck.

By the way, I LOVE THIS CAR!!! I have definitely been missing out by driving Toyota's all my life. It is so tempting to rev the car up right now; I've pushed the car hard twice already...

I will try and post pictures soon if I can figure it out. But I really want to thank everyone who has added input to this thread. It has helped tremendously...
Appreciate 0