E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Ford Taurus SHO tested....it's quick!

11-05-2009, 03:13 PM   #23
Nifty
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
Somehow reminds me the Conan O'Brian's little skid about his Ford Taurus SHO...
that was a great one.

Conan: *opens hood to old beat up SHO* Ya know why they call this the ranch?
Salesman: Why?
Conan: Cause that's where my 270 horses live.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2009, 12:22 AM   #24
WILLIE92
H20 KING!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328I

the new SHO is ugly! they might have something going with that engine tho?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2009, 03:21 AM   #25
adrian1480
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435icp

test drove one for a couple of hours last week (they let me take it home). fantastic automobile. the trunk is cavernous! good lord. I think you could easily fit 5-6 golf bags in it, and that's not an exaggeration. it's massive.

the vehicle appears stretched vertically from the rear. hard to describe, but it looks narrow and tall from that angle. kinda weird. but from every other angle, it looks fine. navi is about 4 lightyears ahead of anything BMW is offering.

small things like the COOLED seats made me wonder where BMW is on things like that. it REALLY works...and really well.

Power is epic for a full size barely pushing $40k. all things considered, it's a true winner. The question is whether or not Ford's typical customer base can afford a SHO, or if Ford will lure people from other brands. the million dollar question indeed.
The credit belongs to those who are actually in the arena, who strive valiantly, who know the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spend themselves in a worthy cause; who, at the best, know the triumph of high achievement and who, at the worst, if they fail, fail while daring greatly so that their place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2009, 01:14 PM   #26
Spec 1
Faster in the Corners
United_States
Rep
Drives: '91 E30, '05 ZX6-R, '06 300C

New pics of the SHO after a little customization. Sorry, need resize.

Last edited by Spec 1; 11-06-2009 at 02:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2009, 01:19 PM   #27
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

I don't think those wheels work very well on this car. I'm thinking something without the lip would probably look better.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2009, 02:28 PM   #28
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: G80 6MT

I think FORD did a great job with the car.
BUT, $39,500 for the SHO or $44,500 for the S4...I think I am happy with my purchase...
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2009, 02:37 PM   #29
Project1
Bimmer Love
Rep
Drives: You will figure it out...

I'll pay extra for a better car. IMHO, it doesn't matter how much they try, until the domestic companies start spending the cash to make things the best (which makes the car cost more) they will always be behind in the game. You get what you pay for in this world, plain and simple, end of story.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2009, 03:24 PM   #30
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep
Drives: I Can not say

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV View Post
It's a full size car. Weighs barely more than my 740iL, and has similar interior room (including a huge rear passenger area) and is quicker.

We dont' live in 1970 anymore. Even "tiny" cars weigh over 3000 lbs. I mean, BMW can't seem to get it's SMALLEST car to weigh less than my old big block musclecars...

Not much more then an e93
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2009, 09:42 AM   #31
ChrisV
7er
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1998 BMW 740iL

Garage List
1998 740iL  [6.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Project1 View Post
I'll pay extra for a better car. IMHO, it doesn't matter how much they try, until the domestic companies start spending the cash to make things the best (which makes the car cost more) they will always be behind in the game. You get what you pay for in this world, plain and simple, end of story.

Ah, the Princess with her sense of entitlement speaks up. I'l just bet you feel that pea under 10 mattresses, too, doncha?

Appreciate 0
      11-09-2009, 09:44 AM   #32
ChrisV
7er
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1998 740iL  [6.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
Swing and a miss again for domestic car manufacturing.
And how is it a miss? Seems to be exactly what it's supposed to be. Not just the SHO, but the SE and SEl versions, as well (which are fully equipped and pretty nice to drive at only $30k)

Appreciate 0
      11-09-2009, 09:47 AM   #33
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Of course you get more car for more money. That's not really the point. This is a mainstream offering. It's not intended to be a true luxury car. It's just a higher trim level of a mass market family sedan.

If you buy a Rolls, you certainly get more car than if you buy a 7 Series BMW. Does that mean BMW should put all those features into their cars, and make them cost the same as the Rolls? Hell no. That would make no sense at all.

Not everyone out there is in a position to spend $70k on a family car. Ford has the Taurus well positioned in the market, and it's a solid offering. Are there better cars out there? Of course. That's not even the question. The question is, "Are there better cars out there AT THIS PRICE?", and that's debatable.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2009, 10:22 AM   #34
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
And how is it a miss? Seems to be exactly what it's supposed to be. Not just the SHO, but the SE and SEl versions, as well (which are fully equipped and pretty nice to drive at only $30k)
Is it not 40k? Who is the target marker for this? Are they trying to lure customers from the 335, S4, C350, etc.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2009, 10:48 AM   #35
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Is it not 40k? Who is the target marker for this? Are they trying to lure customers from the 335, S4, C350, etc.

The target market for this is the Ford enthusiast who wants a fast car, but needs something that can haul people. They may pull a few luxury buyers in with the "bang for your buck" approach, but that's not who they're counting on for the majority of their sales. This car is the size of a 7 Series. They're certainly not gunning for 3 Series shoppers with it.

Also, keep in mind that at $40k, it is VERY well equipped, and is much faster than anything else its size in that price range, with the exception of the G8 GXP maybe.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2009, 11:16 AM   #36
Turbo>NA
xbox gamertag: HuGeBluEmOnKeY
Armenia
Rep
Drives: M-Sport LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniz View Post
4300 lbs!!!!

fuck that

FAIL just based on the weight and its ugly.
The GTR AND SL65 are around that weight?

Never the less, POS Ford.

E92 335i alpine white | black dokota | auto | zpp | zsp | heated | iPod
- ltbmw : vorsteiner : linea corsa : h&r : k&n : e92-lighting : expectalot-vinyl -
--GONE--
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2009, 11:43 AM   #37
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
The target market for this is the Ford enthusiast who wants a fast car, but needs something that can haul people. They may pull a few luxury buyers in with the "bang for your buck" approach, but that's not who they're counting on for the majority of their sales. This car is the size of a 7 Series. They're certainly not gunning for 3 Series shoppers with it.

Also, keep in mind that at $40k, it is VERY well equipped, and is much faster than anything else its size in that price range, with the exception of the G8 GXP maybe.
The enthusiast may make up some of the the customers but wont help with market share. I really dont know. The 'bang for the buck' may sway some but I seriously doubt anyone looking at a BMW 7 or Audi 8 would ever look at a Ford regardless how loaded with goodies it is for the price.

Again it is misplaced in time. If they made it a bit smaller and dropped the price a bit it could fit in the hot pocket we are talking about 335, A4, etc.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2009, 12:26 PM   #38
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post

The SHO has the performance times of around the G8 GT's performance. According to Insideline, the G8 handles better.

GM really needs to make the Caprice PPV for civilians.......

Quote:
The enthusiast may make up some of the the customers but wont help with market share. I really dont know. The 'bang for the buck' may sway some but I seriously doubt anyone looking at a BMW 7 or Audi 8 would ever look at a Ford regardless how loaded with goodies it is for the price.

Again it is misplaced in time. If they made it a bit smaller and dropped the price a bit it could fit in the hot pocket we are talking about 335, A4, etc.
Is price all you consider when it comes to vehicles competing against what?

The Taurus SHO does not compete with the 335i, A4, etc. It competes against Charger SRT-8 which hello, also starts at $40K.

Everyone needs to stop thinking because a mainstream car can reach $40K in its price, means it goes against your precious BMW.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2009, 12:35 PM   #39
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:

That's not the spot this car is supposed to fill. Ford already has a vehicle in that size class. This is their full sized offering.

Keep in mind that the SHO IS NOT supposed to be a high volume car. It's just an upper trim level of a volume seller, and the R&D cost is minimul. It doesn't need huge numbers to be profitable.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2009, 12:37 PM   #40
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
The SHO has the performance times of around the G8 GT's performance. According to Insideline, the G8 handles better.

GM really needs to make the Caprice PPV for civilians.......

You're right that it's more in line with the GT than the GXP. The G8 is a screaming good deal. I'll be shocked if GM doesn't fit it into one of their domestic product lines once Pontiac is completely gone.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2009, 12:42 PM   #41
lopealle
Resident Black Guy
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: Lion

Garage List
2006 M5  [10.00]
Quote:
people drive bmws in sanford lol j/k.my wifes from there at it seems really country to me
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2009, 12:50 PM   #42
lopealle
Resident Black Guy
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: Lion

Garage List
2006 M5  [10.00]
i like the sho its not all that appealing appearance wise but its damn a great car for the price. i test drove one and it was awesome. not saying that i would choose over a bmw but if i was to be thinking money wise i would definitely pick it over bmw.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2009, 01:40 PM   #43
ChrisV
7er
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1998 740iL  [6.00]
Quote:

Hold up. The SHO is a halo model and not the "market share" model. The TAURUS as a whole is not a $40k car. ONLY the low production number SHO. The top NON-SHO Taurus, the loaded SEL, is only $30k, and the lesser trim levels are priced lower. AT that 30k price, the SEL is well equipped with Sync and cooled seats, and all the other tech stuff, just not the 365 hp engine or AWD. The SEL is the "market share" model and as such will sell quite a lot of them, and not rely on "enthusiasts."

Why should Ford make the Taurus the same size as the Fusion to compete with the 335? that's ridiculous.

Goddamn. Not every car has to be either a small luxury coupe or a top of the line luxury sedan nearing $100k. The Taurus is EXACTLY what it should be: a reasonably priced ($30,995 after dealer add-ons on the lot for a fully equipped SEL model), well equipped, full size sedan that is well built and drives quite nicely. And the SHO is all that with a 365 hp engine and AWD. In the mid-size and up family car category, at $30k, teh SEL is well placed against Camry's and Accords that are smaller, and the more expensive Avalon that is larger, and none of those have a 365 hp AWD perfomance version at ANY price. You have to move up to cars costing considerably more than the Ford to get the same size/features.

Appreciate 0
      11-09-2009, 02:10 PM   #44
josephr25
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Hold up. The SHO is a halo model and not the "market share" model. The TAURUS as a whole is not a $40k car. ONLY the low production number SHO. The top NON-SHO Taurus, the loaded SEL, is only $30k, and the lesser trim levels are priced lower. AT that 30k price, the SEL is well equipped with Sync and cooled seats, and all the other tech stuff, just not the 365 hp engine or AWD. The SEL is the "market share" model and as such will sell quite a lot of them, and not rely on "enthusiasts."

Why should Ford make the Taurus the same size as the Fusion to compete with the 335? that's ridiculous.

Goddamn. Not every car has to be either a small luxury coupe or a top of the line luxury sedan nearing $100k. The Taurus is EXACTLY what it should be: a reasonably priced ($30,995 after dealer add-ons on the lot for a fully equipped SEL model), well equipped, full size sedan that is well built and drives quite nicely. And the SHO is all that with a 365 hp engine and AWD. In the mid-size and up family car category, at $30k, teh SEL is well placed against Camry's and Accords that are smaller, and the more expensive Avalon that is larger, and none of those have a 365 hp AWD perfomance version at ANY price. You have to move up to cars costing considerably more than the Ford to get the same size/features.
You have to remember, most of the audience in this forum is the 16-25 year old demographic with little to no sense of the value of money... around here you just flash the car badges and you'll either get a "yay" or "nay."

I'm not into the looks of the car; probably my only gripe.