E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Do I need to worry??

10-27-2008, 07:41 AM   #1
botti335i
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport Saloon

Do I need to worry??

Hello All

I've been looking through the forum as a 335i owner and am always interested to see whats going on with other peoples car's. I've got 18k on mine now (its a May 07 model) and I'm a little to worried to hear about some owners having turbo problems. I do very short (5 miles) trips each day in the week, so never even open the car up mon-fri. On the weekend i'll take it for a quick blast, but thats about it- nothing heavy. But now i'm almost a little frightened to push it in case it all goes wrong!! Am I at the most vulnerable time (mileage wise) for this to happen or is it just bad luck if this does happen to your 335i? I've been to the BMW dealer, and they are aware of the problem but have said its "unlikely" to happen. What are your views? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 07:45 AM   #2
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Not all cars will have turbos that fail. Its under warranty, just drive it.
      10-27-2008, 07:47 AM   #3
botti335i
Rep

Yeah thats what i'm thinking....
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 11:08 AM   #4
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about pushing your car. You should just drive it, enjoy it and if something happens, then consider it a bit of bad luck and get it fixed at the dealer. The vast majority of 335i's out there have been very reliable, and show no symptoms of turbo wear or actuator problems. These issues have mainly been confined to earlier cars, although that's not to say that some mid to late 2007 cars haven't been affected too. However, the incidence rate is relatively small, and now that dealers are more knowledgeable about the problems they are facing, the fix should be much easier to sort out.

Bottom line - enjoy your car, try and give it a longer blast at weekends when you can, just to get the oils and fluids hot so they maintain good lubrication of all the moving parts in the engine and transmission, and stop worrying!!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 12:04 PM   #5
Spin
fast Cars are safer
England
Rep
Drives: 335d M Sport Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Fan View Post
Honestly, I wouldn't worry about pushing your car. You should just drive it, enjoy it and if something happens, then consider it a bit of bad luck and get it fixed at the dealer. The vast majority of 335i's out there have been very reliable, and show no symptoms of turbo wear or actuator problems. These issues have mainly been confined to earlier cars, although that's not to say that some mid to late 2007 cars haven't been affected too. However, the incidence rate is relatively small, and now that dealers are more knowledgeable about the problems they are facing, the fix should be much easier to sort out.

Bottom line - enjoy your car, try and give it a longer blast at weekends when you can, just to get the oils and fluids hot so they maintain good lubrication of all the moving parts in the engine and transmission, and stop worrying!!
The best advice has been given above.

Just really don't worry about the car whilst it's in warranty.

Spin

"Fast Cars are Safer..."
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 12:11 PM   #6
botti335i
Rep

cheers guys!! i always make sure its warmed up and ready to go before giving it some....but now i'll just not worry about it and use it!

cheers.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2008, 04:13 AM   #7
matlough
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i Saloon

From someone who had the earlier turbo problems and had them both replaced I would agree with all of the above...

Enjoy and don't worry - that's why we have a 3 year warranty.