E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Need more power at high rpm...

11-28-2010, 05:43 AM   #1
stratos_335
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Need more power at high rpm...

Hello everybody, this is Stratos from Greece with E92 335i.

My car is powered with Vishnu Procede, Riss Racing downpipes, Forge FMIC, Synapse BOV, VK-motorwerks oilcooler and Injen dual cone air intakes. Recentley the Vishnu meth kit was added to the tunes list.

Bellow is attached my dyno from a dynojet dynamometer. Sorry but there is no baseline for my car.

As you can see there is a significant power loss above 5500 rpm. The ignition correction above 5500 is 11-11.5 degrees where other tunes or reflashes have ignition correction 16-17 degrees. OK, that is not too safe but could the ignition advance correction be a bit higher at high rpm?

Max boost was set to 19.2 psi and ignition correction was set to 5. The car was running on 80-20 meth-water mixture with 100 octane gas (standard European Super Plus Gasoline - no race Gasoline was used).

Please some help. I would like to increase the power at high revs. Greetings from Greece and sorry for my bad English.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2010, 06:04 AM   #2
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

you cant increase power att high revs without upgrading the turbos. Also could you show the advance you have at limiter? is it 13.5 - 14.5 ? and by the way no tune or other flash runs 16-17 timing advance at high rev. Where did you get that?
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2010, 06:53 AM   #3
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

+1. Which flash has timing advance at 16-17 degrees at high rpm?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2010, 07:06 AM   #4
stratos_335
First Lieutenant
Rep

First of all I made a mistake, this is a dynomet dyno and not a dynojet dyno.

Over-sized turbos is a solution, but since my budget is low this period of time I cannot afford them. So I think a more aggressive tune would be the best in my case. Or you could propose an other solution.

And yes, a friend of mine is running his 135 with 16 degrees of ignition correction and higher rev limiter. Although I don't agree with that, his tune is very aggressive and may cause damage to his engine. Though, this 135 is as fast as mine with meth. His tuner took the risk and reflashed his car keeping in the back of his head that this could be an "explosive" recipe. He made out 415 - 420 whp on a dynojet without meth....

But lets stick to my tune. Except of the oversized turbos, how could I increase power at high revs? Any solution with that?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2010, 07:10 AM   #5
ultimateendz
Vengeance is mine, I shall repay
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3, CTS-V coupe

yea...you definitely need upped turbos....my EPL units can carry over 430whp to redline on pump...only stopped at 6200 cause EPL decided it was good enough
      11-28-2010, 08:29 AM   #6
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '16 MK7 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratos_335 View Post
First of all I made a mistake, this is a dynomet dyno and not a dynojet dyno.

Over-sized turbos is a solution, but since my budget is low this period of time I cannot afford them. So I think a more aggressive tune would be the best in my case. Or you could propose an other solution.

And yes, a friend of mine is running his 135 with 16 degrees of ignition correction and higher rev limiter. Although I don't agree with that, his tune is very aggressive and may cause damage to his engine. Though, this 135 is as fast as mine with meth. His tuner took the risk and reflashed his car keeping in the back of his head that this could be an "explosive" recipe. He made out 415 - 420 whp on a dynojet without meth....

But lets stick to my tune. Except of the oversized turbos, how could I increase power at high revs? Any solution with that?
You really can't increase power to redline on this car with stock turbos. You'll need to upgrade turbos to have that effect unfortunately.
      11-28-2010, 09:07 AM   #7
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by themyst View Post
You really can't increase power to redline on this car with stock turbos. You'll need to upgrade turbos to have that effect unfortunately.
+1000 , there is nothing wrong with the tune. The problem is the turbos .

If you change the turbos it could look like this

07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2010, 11:51 AM   #8
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
456hp. Your timing logs look spot-on. So you are making as much power as the factory turbos can support. Which, at 19psi, maxes out at around 5500rpm. The more you drop your boost, the more your power curve will shift-upwards (in rpm). Definitely a candidate for a turbo upgrade

Also, running nearly 20psi of boost with just pump gas and meth is pretty ballsy. I'd recommend limiting max boost to 17 (or 18 if your pump gas is really that good). Failsafes are in place with the Procede. But that's just a lot of risk nontheless.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2010, 12:34 PM   #9
stratos_335
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrita View Post
+1000 , there is nothing wrong with the tune. The problem is the turbos .

If you change the turbos it could look like this

LOL !!!! Nice graph

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
456hp. Your timing logs look spot-on. So you are making as much power as the factory turbos can support. Which, at 19psi, maxes out at around 5500rpm. The more you drop your boost, the more your power curve will shift-upwards (in rpm). Definitely a candidate for a turbo upgrade

Also, running nearly 20psi of boost with just pump gas and meth is pretty ballsy. I'd recommend limiting max boost to 17 (or 18 if your pump gas is really that good). Failsafes are in place with the Procede. But that's just a lot of risk nontheless.

Shiv
Hey Shiv, thank you for the advice. Bigger turbos is the next step. When I was running V3 and 14.5 psi the power curve was shifted upwards in the rpm range.The boost does not drop bellow 18.2 psi at high rpm but I was thinking that IC is low. The car is running 19.2 psi only at streetracing and dynos. Normally my boost is 13-14 psi on map 1. With 100 octane pump gas and no meth debug byte 6 drops down to 10-12. Boost was decreased down to 17.5 psi
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2010, 12:40 PM   #10
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratos_335 View Post
LOL !!!! Nice graph

Hey Shiv, thank you for the advice. Bigger turbos is the next step. When I was running V3 and 14.5 psi the power curve was shifted upwards in the rpm range.The boost does not drop bellow 18.2 psi at high rpm but I was thinking that IC is low. The car is running 19.2 psi only at streetracing and dynos. Normally my boost is 13-14 psi on map 1. With 100 octane pump gas and no meth debug byte 6 drops down to 10-12. Boost was decreased down to 17.5 psi
lol good! The reason running big peak boost drops the peak hp RPM downwards is not necessarily due to top end boost roll off. But rather skyrocketing exhaust backpressure levels which cripple engine pumping efficiency. Which is why running the same boost curve with upgraded turbos (that will include less backpressure) will be worth a bunch more power up top.

At 14.5psi, your power will max out around 6000rpm since backpressure isn't as big of an issue at that boost level

And if you see DME ignition advance stay above 10 deg and ramp up to 13 deg by 7000rpm, you simply can't do any better. We can certainly have the Procede add more timing (positive timing correction) at WOT/full boost but that is an unnecessary risk, IMHO.

Shiv
Appreciate 0