E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > FIRST BMW Performance Power Kit Review and Test Drive

08-26-2009, 07:32 PM   #23
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstavaru View Post
I am more and more surprised by the car's responsiveness, now that I drove it a bit more. The lack of lag and the added torque really changes the car ! Its really noticeable...especially when I'm in 3rd at < 2000RPM and floor it, before there was a slight lag until the car took off but now it just takes off instantly and with more thrust...it's very nice !
That sounds like my 335 when I first got it (pre- lagware "fix" for wastegate actuator rattle).
Seriously it would be great if you could get a side-by-side comparison with a stock 335 -- how many 335 brothers do you have in Bucharest?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 08:19 PM   #24
imperium2000
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
That sounds like my 335 when I first got it (pre- lagware "fix" for wastegate actuator rattle).
Seriously it would be great if you could get a side-by-side comparison with a stock 335 -- how many 335 brothers do you have in Bucharest?
He dynoed his car prior to the install. I'm willing to wait for his dynos in a few days with the new set up to see a more objective comparison.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 10:12 PM   #25
lsdless
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperium2000 View Post
He dynoed his car prior to the install. I'm willing to wait for his dynos in a few days with the new set up to see a more objective comparison.
I think he means a race.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 10:26 PM   #26
ianthegreat
Colonel
Rep
Drives: n54

Your spark plugs look a lot worse than mine.. and I was tuned for 24k miles. Just changed at 26k.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2009, 12:29 AM   #27
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

Quote:
I would like to see some boostlevels too...but after so much money spent on a tune which does NOT need a BT cable because it does not throw codes...its pretty hard to convince myself to get one I don't think I will get one (unless an interested tuning company offers it to me in order to do some logging for them... )
all cars will throw codes sooner or later . If you are talking about tuner codes yes for us running very high maps the BT cable is very important to have but the car can still have something wrong even stock and a BT cable helps you troubleshoot.
My spark plugs looked way better as well after after 32.000 km.
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2009, 02:11 AM   #28
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep
Drives: 15 GSM 435i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Come on...the fact that there is alot of hardware does not mean that the "majority" of the kit is cooling...its the software that counts.
Thank you for the pic and review. I asked because I doubt anyone had seen what plugs looked like this early on a stock N54. I do think you gained some performance "back" from new plugs. You have your opinion, I have mine. However, the kit IS mostly cooling, even the plugs. You have to admit that with such a conservative tune the extra cooling seems overkill when we have been running JB3 and Procedes while keeping our temps in check. We can leave it at that for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by interpol View Post
What are you talking about? Are you trying to say that the increase in power that the OP feels is due to BMW changing his spark plugs?!
Did I say that? read slower next time. Here you go, I highlighted it for you. And if you can't FATHOM that then you may as well just give up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGoneRogue View Post
How did your old spark plugs look? Could you post a picture of them? A lot of what you described can also be found after changing your spark plugs. I doubt that the majority of the kit being cooling has that much effect on the throttle and such. That screams spark plugs. MAYBE the reflash. But then they should have been fixing lag a long time ago.
Reading comprehension + a little car knowledge =

2015 435i Gran Coupe - Current
2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2009, 05:38 AM   #29
interpol
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: passively aggressive.
Location: probably in a hotel thousands of miles away from home.

Quote:
Reading comprehension + a little car knowledge =
I can't believe I'm replying to this, but...

In the first post, the OP mentions that he observed the elimination of turbo lag, a more aggressive throttle response, tires chirping between second and third gear, etc. He is observing these changes due to the new software on his ECU which, IMHO is the majority of the upgrade.

...and you think it is due to the spark plugs.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2009, 06:14 AM   #30
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I can't believe I'm replying to this, but...

In the first post, the OP mentions that he observed the elimination of turbo lag, a more aggressive throttle response, tires chirping between second and third gear, etc. He is observing these changes due to the new software on his ECU which, IMHO is the majority of the upgrade.

...and you think it is due to the spark plugs.
I'm not gonna argue with you about this. We'll see how this all pans out when he dyno's. I personally don't care where he got his "power" from. I get mine from a JuiceBox. And when I change out my plugs, I'll pick back up as much hp as his "tune". I was refferring to his throttle response and his "lag" that he never knew he had in the first place. Plugs can cause that.

2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2009, 06:49 AM   #31
interpol
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: passively aggressive.
Location: probably in a hotel thousands of miles away from home.

Quote:
I'm not gonna argue with you about this. We'll see how this all pans out when he dyno's. I personally don't care where he got his "power" from. I get mine from a JuiceBox. And when I change out my plugs, I'll pick back up as much hp as his "tune". I was refferring to his throttle response and his "lag" that he never knew he had in the first place. Plugs can cause that.
We're discussing the the BMW Performance Power Kit. The additional power is a result of the change in software and it's safe to say that it increases power by increasing boost. BMW can eliminate the turbo lag by changing the software as well. It was software that introduced the lag after all, wasn't it? Did you miss the sticky with a quarter million hits?

The cooling components of this kit are secondary.

Do you honestly believe that replacing spark plugs at 16k miles will pick up 25+ hp?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2009, 08:41 AM   #32
jonm42
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: too fast for conditions.

As we go flying into the weeds...
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2009, 09:07 AM   #33
cstavaru
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i M Sport Sedan 6MT

Update 2: Added a couple of pictures. Not much to see, but still The supplemental radiator does not have a plastic backplate installed because I don't yet have the airducts installed.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2009, 09:18 AM   #34
Craig@SupremePower
G.O.A.T.!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 GMC Yukon XL

congrats on the new found power..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2009, 11:20 AM   #35
cstavaru
Brigadier General
Rep

Update 3: Did some Dynolicious tests. I obtained a peak of 279whp at the wheels. Weight was set at 1770kg. Gas tank was 100% full (93 octane). Only went gears 1 and 2, until 110Kmh and then stopped. Tires were spinning like crazy, I didn't get below 5.79 for 0-100kmh. Best 0-60 foot time was 2.48s. The dynolicious test before the power kit showed a maximum of 264whp (or 262, I don't remember exactly) but it was MUCH colder outside (it was February 23, about 12-15 degrees Celsius, and today it was about 31 degrees Celsius). This test was done on an iPhone 3GS with the latest Dynolicious, the first test was done on an iPhone 3G with the first version of Dynolicious.

Tomorrow I will do a real Mustang dyno if everything goes as planned.

Last edited by cstavaru; 08-27-2009 at 11:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2009, 12:51 PM   #36
645Nm
only in it for the torque - awuleth'umshini wami
South Africa
Rep
Drives: sapphire black 335i

Garage List
2009 335i sedan  [0.00]
2005 120D  [0.00]
2007 335i sedan  [0.00]
I prefer Dynolicious to Mustangs
      08-27-2009, 04:00 PM   #37
bulldog_yyc
Major General
Rep
Drives: GT3RS

Quote:
We're discussing the the BMW Performance Power Kit. The additional power is a result of the change in software and it's safe to say that it increases power by increasing boost. BMW can eliminate the turbo lag by changing the software as well. It was software that introduced the lag after all, wasn't it? Did you miss the sticky with a quarter million hits?

The cooling components of this kit are secondary.

Do you honestly believe that replacing spark plugs at 16k miles will pick up 25+ hp?
he never said 25 HP, he was merely describing what new plugs feel like in the first week of having them installed, and yes new plugs do that, the true test would have been to install the power kit w/o swapping out the plugs
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2009, 04:03 PM   #38
cstavaru
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkish335 View Post
he never said 25 HP, he was merely describing what new plugs feel like in the first week of having them installed, and yes new plugs do that, the true test would have been to install the power kit w/o swapping out the plugs
So why don't you tell the people in the 29.2 lag thread to change the sparkplugs and quit bothering BMW about the lag ?

Or even better, for people thinking about bumping the power with a JB+, "change your sparkplugs and save the money"
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2009, 05:44 PM   #39
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
So why don't you tell the people in the 29.2 lag thread to change the sparkplugs and quit bothering BMW about the lag ?

Or even better, for people thinking about bumping the power with a JB+, "change your sparkplugs and save the money"
We might as well drop this. It's hopeless. And you DIDN'T EVEN KNOW YOU HAD THE LAG IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!
Can you READ? I wasn't talking about power! I was talking about the throttle response.

2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2009, 05:52 PM   #40
cstavaru
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
We might as well drop this. It's hopeless. And you DIDN'T EVEN KNOW YOU HAD THE LAG IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!
Can you READ? I wasn't talking about power! I was talking about the throttle response.
The car felt the same from the very beginning. I suppose they couldn't deliver the car with used sparkplugs, right ? And also, doesn't the fact that the sparkplugs only have 16.000 miles on them on a 100% stock car wake you up from this dreaming about them eliminating turbo lag and sharpening throttle response (never in my life read about such thing anyway) ?

I only drove one 335i car, my car. I have never had the software updated. I tought the car drove perfectly, I didn't know what to make of that slight hesitation, I tought it may have been in my mind, but with this new software I had something to compare to and I realized it was "something". I am sure many people felt the same as me, you can read the 29.2 thread...I read most of it.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2009, 06:26 PM   #41
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The car felt the same from the very beginning. I suppose they couldn't deliver the car with used sparkplugs, right ? And also, doesn't the fact that the sparkplugs only have 16.000 miles on them on a 100% stock car wake you up from this dreaming about them eliminating turbo lag and sharpening throttle response (never in my life read about such thing anyway) ?

I only drove one 335i car, my car. I have never had the software updated. I tought the car drove perfectly, I didn't know what to make of that slight hesitation, I tought it may have been in my mind, but with this new software I had something to compare to and I realized it was "something". I am sure many people felt the same as me, you can read the 29.2 thread...I read most of it.
Why do you think I asked to see the plugs? Two people said they had better looking plugs with twice the miles. You are really naive. You think cars just run perfect all the time? People have found carbon buildup on valves and such. DI is finicky apparently. Not to mention the pumps themselves. I am not going to derail this thread any further. Good lord, I should have known not to ask such a sacreligious question in opposition to the all mighty BMW. I'm done with this thread. Enjoy your tune.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=289765 in case you need proof (doubt it will help) that N54's aren't infallible.

2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2009, 08:21 AM   #42
cstavaru
Brigadier General
Rep

Mustang dyno done !

From 271whp (stock) to 294whp (power kit) ! 23whp increase ! When I added my Helene drop-in air filter I obtained 297whp ! The torque increased too, but in the upper RPMs, at lower RPMs is about the same. I will scan and post the graphs in a few hours !!!

Happyyyyyy !
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2009, 08:22 AM   #43
cstavaru
Brigadier General
Rep

Mustang dyno done !

From 271whp (stock) to 294whp (power kit) ! 23whp increase ! When I added my Helene drop-in air filter I obtained 297whp ! The torque increased too, but in the upper RPMs, at lower RPMs is about the same. I will scan and post the graphs in a few hours !!!

About the test conditions: HOOD WAS CLOSED (at both "before" and "after" tests). I don't like manipulation, so I wanted to know how things measure up in proper conditions. Maybe on the road with much more airflow there is more power. The outside temperature was 32 degrees Celsius (pretty high, but the same temp was at the first test too). The gas was premium 93 octane, from the same gas station as the first run.

Happyyyyyy !

Last edited by cstavaru; 08-28-2009 at 10:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2009, 08:44 AM   #44
toughluck
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92

Thanks cstavaru for your valued review and feedback. I appreciate your contribution to e90 community!
Appreciate 0