E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Ohlins DFV Road and Track Coilovers BMW E9x 325i 328i 330i 335d 335i

Closed Thread

09-21-2011, 04:18 AM   #45
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 LMX, BMW M550i xDrive

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciomas View Post
Id be very interested as well.

Ive done around 6k kilometers over last 3 months on the Ohlins setup. 5 of which Ive done in 10 days across Europe - mountain passes mostly but also The Ring. Im very happy to see Harold mating them with Swifts as we spoke about this before I made my purchase and was hoping to do it one day I'm waiting for some feedback guys! Overall it is a brilliant setup! In my opinion it is a different league than the Bilsteins - tried them both. I will try to sit down a write a proper review on the weekend as over those months I had a chance to push it in various conditions

If I was to put it in a few words only Id say the biggest improvements are: much higher ride comfort than the m-sport, the previously bouncy and unpredictable rear now performs the way it is supposed to (no subframe bushing upgrade yet), tons of grip, reduction in body roll is much higher than I ever expected without anti roll bar upgrade and braking on poor surface is highly improved
Great to read you like them so much. And looking forward very much to read your detailed review!

Let me know next time you're at the 'Ring, would be great to catch a ride in your car. On the other hand, I might come to London before that - the Penny Black is always worth a detour!

Alpina_B3_Lux
      09-21-2011, 09:38 AM   #46
ciomas
Captain
Poland
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpina_B3_Lux View Post
Great to read you like them so much. And looking forward very much to read your detailed review!

Let me know next time you're at the 'Ring, would be great to catch a ride in your car. On the other hand, I might come to London before that - the Penny Black is always worth a detour!

Alpina_B3_Lux
ha! I finally made it to Penny Blacks last month - best lamb chops I remember
      09-21-2011, 11:27 AM   #47
Toshi
Private First Class
Japan
Rep
Drives: BMW M850i xDrive Coupe (G15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Looks good, but the spring rates seem off, especially how the R&T system was designed to perform with lower than normal spring rates other tuners are using.
My dampers were customized.
Ohlins Lab adjusted damping force with custom shims for higher-rate springs.
Even so, they are more comfort than M-Sport.

Quote:

Ive done around 6k kilometers over last 3 months on the Ohlins setup. 5 of which Ive done in 10 days across Europe - mountain passes mostly but also The Ring. Im very happy to see Harold mating them with Swifts as we spoke about this before I made my purchase and was hoping to do it one day I'm waiting for some feedback guys! Overall it is a brilliant setup! In my opinion it is a different league than the Bilsteins - tried them both. I will try to sit down a write a proper review on the weekend as over those months I had a chance to push it in various conditions

If I was to put it in a few words only Id say the biggest improvements are: much higher ride comfort than the m-sport, the previously bouncy and unpredictable rear now performs the way it is supposed to (no subframe bushing upgrade yet), tons of grip, reduction in body roll is much higher than I ever expected without anti roll bar upgrade and braking on poor surface is highly improved
I am looking forward to your detailed review!

[ Present ] 2021 BMW M850i xDrive Coupe (G15)
[ Retired ] 2014 ALPINA B4 BiTurbo Coupe (F32)
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 06:16 AM   #48
Toshi
Private First Class
Japan
Rep
Drives: BMW M850i xDrive Coupe (G15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
The problem is your spring rate front to rear is way off regardless of motion ratio and damper valving. It's just going to understeer like mad from lack of mechanical grip.
If you have a track car, sure I'll give that to you, but then your rear rates are way to soft. Maybe Ohlins use you as the test bed, because their end product does not have rates anywhere close to yours.
Don't believe me if you don't want to, but mine is not a test bed.
Ohlins Japan has a lot of good record with these spring rates.

In fact, I've never felt "understeer like mad" with my setup.
Maybe it comes from differences in customer's preferences of each market.
Please understand I'm not disagreeing with your opinion in anyway.

For reference, I give you examples;
Here's the list of factory default spring rates of Japanese coilovers.
(You may not be familiar with some brands.)

Ohlins DFV Road & Track (Japanese spec) 6k/7k

3D Design (Ohlins-based/non DFV) 8k/10k
ASSIST (Ohlins-based/DFV) 8k/8k or 10k/10k
Quantum Racing 7k/9k or 10k/14k
Aragosta 8k/10k or 10k/12k
Tein (Japanese spec) 5k/8k

Bilstein PSS10 (global spec) 70N/110N
KW Version 3 (global spec) 3.4-4.6k/9.7-10.2k

[ Present ] 2021 BMW M850i xDrive Coupe (G15)
[ Retired ] 2014 ALPINA B4 BiTurbo Coupe (F32)
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 05:03 PM   #49
ciomas
Captain
Poland
Rep

Toshi killed the thread
      11-03-2011, 04:35 AM   #50
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:

Have you had time to do a little bit more detailed write-up? I'd be really curious about this as you've driven with your setup on the exact tracks and roads where I'll be driving my own car.

Alpina_B3_Lux
      11-03-2011, 04:44 AM   #51
ciomas
Captain
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Have you had time to do a little bit more detailed write-up? I'd be really curious about this as you've driven with your setup on the exact tracks and roads where I'll be driving my own car.

Alpina_B3_Lux
Ive made some changes to the settings. I also have second thoughts about the spring rates. I wanted to wait with the write-up until I have a chance to experience these dampers on stiffer springs and do a comparison after. Just to let you know - Im not looking to make the car harsh to drive, Im still afer a ride thats more comfortable than the m-sport suspension. Its just the low rate of the rear springs needs to be adressed in order to achieve this. Appologies for the delay

M.
      11-03-2011, 04:51 AM   #52
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
I've made some changes to the settings. I also have second thoughts about the spring rates. I wanted to wait with the write-up until I have a chance to experience these dampers on stiffer springs and do a comparison after. Just to let you know - Im not looking to make the car harsh to drive, Im still after a ride thats more comfortable than the m-sport suspension. Its just the low rate of the rear springs needs to be adressed in order to achieve this. Appologies for the delay

M.
Seems we have the same objectives. My 335i is also a daily driver, so I don't want it to be too harsh either. Which is why I'm so interested in your feedback!

Alpina_B3_Lux
      11-03-2011, 04:55 AM   #53
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Quote:
Ive made some changes to the settings. I also have second thoughts about the spring rates. I wanted to wait with the write-up until I have a chance to experience these dampers on stiffer springs and do a comparison after. Just to let you know - Im not looking to make the car harsh to drive, Im still afer a ride thats more comfortable than the m-sport suspension. Its just the low rate of the rear springs needs to be adressed in order to achieve this. Appologies for the delay

M.
Are you running out of the box spring rates?..6kg front / 7kg rear
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 08:39 AM   #54
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
Are you running out of the box spring rates?..6kg front / 7kg rear
He currently is, yes. But apparently he is thinking about installing stiffer springs in the rear. We'll see!

Alpina_B3_Lux
      11-03-2011, 11:06 AM   #55
mike the snake
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

I'll be getting my car (08 135i) back from the shop today. They are installing the Ohlins Road and Track coilovers, Ground Control camber plates, M3 rear subframe bushings, and Apex wheels with Pilot Supersport tires (235/265) and lowering the car roughly 1.25" to 1.5". I also researched and found the rear spring rates to be off, I ended up using the stock 342 springs in front, and switched to 700lb springs in the rear.

I will report back as to how the changes feel on my car. I am excited, I was really unhappy with the stock sport suspension, and I think these changes will really take my car to where I want it as a DD and occasional AX/track day car.

Anyone know what would be a good starting point for the shock settings?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 11:29 AM   #56
tscdennab
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW  [6.24]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike the snake View Post
I'll be getting my car (08 135i) back from the shop today. They are installing the Ohlins Road and Track coilovers, Ground Control camber plates, M3 rear subframe bushings, and Apex wheels with Pilot Supersport tires (235/265) and lowering the car roughly 1.25" to 1.5". I also researched and found the rear spring rates to be off, I ended up using the stock 342 springs in front, and switched to 700lb springs in the rear.

I will report back as to how the changes feel on my car. I am excited, I was really unhappy with the stock sport suspension, and I think these changes will really take my car to where I want it as a DD and occasional AX/track day car.

Anyone know what would be a good starting point for the shock settings?
Congratulations ! Make sure you write a review on the Ohlins coilovers as soon as you can...
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 12:18 PM   #57
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Quote:
He currently is, yes. But apparently he is thinking about installing stiffer springs in the rear. We'll see!

Alpina_B3_Lux
I think guys like Harold, Orb and "other suspensioneers" are right on the money...there has been enough back and forth testing done on spring rates for this platform going back to early 2009 that the magic number seems to be a 1-2 ratio front to rear
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 12:39 PM   #58
mike the snake
Captain
Rep

Harold was nice enough to give me suggestions about spring rates. I ended up going very close to what he suggested at 342/700.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 05:07 PM   #59
mike the snake
Captain
Rep

I'm pretty bummed out.

After installing the Ohlins kit, and Ground Control camber plates, with the spring collars set to the bottom (car as low as it can possibly go), my car now sits TALLER than when I took it in to have this kit installed to lower my car.

Obviously, shorter springs will be needed all the way around.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? I was hoping for adjustability in the "slammed", up to around the stock ride height.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 05:40 PM   #60
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

so it's taller in both front and rear?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 06:38 PM   #61
tscdennab
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW  [6.24]
Quote:
I'm pretty bummed out.

After installing the Ohlins kit, and Ground Control camber plates, with the spring collars set to the bottom (car as low as it can possibly go), my car now sits TALLER than when I took it in to have this kit installed to lower my car.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? I was hoping for adjustability in the "slammed", up to around the stock ride height.
It's probably because when you select custom springs you must take into account that a higher rate spring compresses less than a lower rate spring when the car presses on it. You selected 700lb/in springs in the rear, as opposed to Ohlins's 400lb/in. It should probably have been shorter than the Ohlins spring by 1 inch or so (can be calculated).

Also, from my research, the default Ohlins rear spring is 10 inch long, and a forum member had this height problem too even with the default spring. He then chose an 8-inch rear spring.

Well...how is the ride, anyway ?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 08:52 PM   #62
mike the snake
Captain
Rep

The ride is similar to stock. It now sits at stock height in the rear, and slightly higher in front. Feels good though, slightly more road noise.

There's a new mystery noise at low speeds, and the alignment needs to be done, so I'm going to wait on driving until I get everything right.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 09:17 PM   #63
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
I'm pretty bummed out.

How is the stack height on the front camber plates? If the stack height is wrong, you will run out of adjustments. Did you take any photos of the upper GC spring perches so I can see if they sent you the correct ones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tscdennab View Post
It's probably because when you select custom springs you must take into account that a higher rate spring compresses less than a lower rate spring when the car presses on it. You selected 700lb/in springs in the rear, as opposed to Ohlins's 400lb/in. It should probably have been shorter than the Ohlins spring by 1 inch or so (can be calculated).

Also, from my research, the default Ohlins rear spring is 10 inch long, and a forum member had this height problem too even with the default spring. He then chose an 8-inch rear spring.

Well...how is the ride, anyway ?
Where did you find 8" rear spring to work? It's way too short unless used with helpers. You need a minimum of 9"
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 04:09 AM   #64
tscdennab
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW  [6.24]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
Where did you find 8" rear spring to work? It's way too short unless used with helpers. You need a minimum of 9"
Here is someone having Ohlins R&T with 8" springs in the rear:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...90&postcount=4

A PM to the post author may reveal more information.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 09:24 AM   #65
mike the snake
Captain
Rep

I drove the car a bit on my normal backroads, just to see how things felt.

The difference is huge. While it is a bit stiffer, the ride is supremely better. The best thing I notice is that the car handles potholes and bumps much better. Potholes and bumps that I normally would swerve around the car now goes over without my feeling it in my back. The shudder that the car had after hitting bumps is gone, it just feels 100% better. I didn't go fast so I can't comment on the rear end bouncing, but it feels so much better, I'm feeling better about doing all of this.

There was however a weird noise, going very slow and straight, seemingly related to the brakes, and after a few minutes the brake light went on, so it's back to the shop in an hour or so.

They aligned it to be safe (toe and camber) but the thrust line is way off, so I'm getting a proper alignment immediately. If i can get the springs today I'll do that and then get the alignment, but I don't feel right driving a car that's crabbing.

Right now, the car sits about stock height, maybe a little higher in front, with the adjusters bottomed out, so 2" shorter springs with the adjusters raised 1" would drop me an inch, so I think 2" shorter is the ticket, but I'll know for sure after measuring today.

The GC camber plates are the hybrid ones, and seem to match the stock perches in stack height, maybe a tick shorter.

The Ohlins shocks feel amazing, I can't wait to get the car totally right and hit my favorite roads for a spirited drive.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 09:53 AM   #66
tscdennab
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW  [6.24]
Quote:
I drove the car a bit on my normal backroads, just to see how things felt.

The difference is huge. While it is a bit stiffer, the ride is supremely better. The best thing I notice is that the car handles potholes and bumps much better. Potholes and bumps that I normally would swerve around the car now goes over without my feeling it in my back. The shudder that the car had after hitting bumps is gone, it just feels 100% better. I didn't go fast so I can't comment on the rear end bouncing, but it feels so much better, I'm feeling better about doing all of this.

There was however a weird noise, going very slow and straight, seemingly related to the brakes, and after a few minutes the brake light went on, so it's back to the shop in an hour or so.

They aligned it to be safe (toe and camber) but the thrust line is way off, so I'm getting a proper alignment immediately. If i can get the springs today I'll do that and then get the alignment, but I don't feel right driving a car that's crabbing.

Right now, the car sits about stock height, maybe a little higher in front, with the adjusters bottomed out, so 2" shorter springs with the adjusters raised 1" would drop me an inch, so I think 2" shorter is the ticket, but I'll know for sure after measuring today.

The GC camber plates are the hybrid ones, and seem to match the stock perches in stack height, maybe a tick shorter.

The Ohlins shocks feel amazing, I can't wait to get the car totally right and hit my favorite roads for a spirited drive.
Your experience will probably be of use to many others (possibly including me). However make sure that by getting 2" shorter springs you will not bottom out the shocks on high lateral loads. I would check the suspension travel range with the shock mounted on the car and with the spring unmounted.

Was your first test done at the softest shock settings ?
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread