E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Dinan Stage 3 in retrospect

03-31-2009, 12:57 AM   #1
vegasspeed
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i 6MT coupe Montego Blue

Dinan Stage 3 in retrospect

I write this as many tuners fight for being number one on the E90/E92 buyers guide. I went for the Dinan tune for a few reasons. I trusted it based on the history, I could afford it and I was worried about having a warranty voided.

It has been close to a year since I bought my car. If I could do it all over again I think I might do it different. Now I say this because of a few things. Dinan isn't right for everyone. Why is that? Well, in my case I don't drive my car more than 6-7k miles year. I have a company car so this car doesn't get driven every day. What that means is the 4yr/50,000 mile warranty doesn't mean as much if I don't put on the miles on my car. At the time I bought it sales and service guys scared me by saying, "we will void your warranty if..." or "Someone came in with blown turbos from one of those other tuners and he had to pay for it." Of course I thought, SH*t, that sucks! So went the way of Dinan and got sold on buying the stage 3 setup since my friend got me 20% off everything including labor. That helped but it was still steep. What I later realized is I am one of those that want to mod for more power later. Give me more hp I say! Dinan was limited with that. When I heard about a turbo swap down the road and other tunes I figured out that maybe I made a mistake. I did wonder how much I wanted to push it with a car that was German, expensive and hard fix on your own.

What I hear about the Procede from different sources tells me I might very well enjoy that on my car. It has more control for Octane levels. It has more power. Finally, it is always changing with the times. If I didn't have a Dinan flash on my car I would be willing to try it out, I can tell you that.

For now I will just enjoy my car the way it is and learn to drive it better the way it is. I may end up getting a different car to mod as a track car. If I do get a track car I can say that modding will probably stop after the wheels and tires I order for the E92.

This goes out to all the people that say Dinan owners are blindly backing the product without being honest. My car is fast, just not super fast. I have dyno'd it to know. I won't hit 400whp anytime soon but I am fine with that for now.
      03-31-2009, 01:12 AM   #2
samps
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Transit

I know others are making much more power, but I'm happy with my car. Doing mostly city driving and not tracking my car, I find that Stg 2 is personally enough for me. I'll be honest though, I do envy those getting 400whp.

That said, I do enjoy the piece of mind having a full warranty. I'm coming from an M-Tech 540i, which was very expensive to fix when something went wrong. Do I regret getting Dinan? No, but I'll fully admit that if I didn't have it, I'd be going with Procede or JB3. I have to admit though, I would be worried about anything happening to my car and being denied warranty work.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 01:21 AM   #3
dlbrooks18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

to the OP, what did you dyno with Stage 3?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 01:23 AM   #4
Mote
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 - 1991 E30

Nicely written OP. We always want more and never seem to be satisfied with what we got. Even those reaching over 400 whp want more, so really, it's a never ending game.

Here's to being happy with what you got and no regrets!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 02:27 AM   #5
BuLoOoSki
Colonel
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasspeed View Post
I write this as many tuners fight for being number one on the E90/E92 buyers guide. I went for the Dinan tune for a few reasons. I trusted it based on the history, I could afford it and I was worried about having a warranty voided.

It has been close to a year since I bought my car. If I could do it all over again I think I might do it different. Now I say this because of a few things. Dinan isn't right for everyone. Why is that? Well, in my case I don't drive my car more than 6-7k miles year. I have a company car so this car doesn't get driven every day. What that means is the 4yr/50,000 mile warranty doesn't mean as much if I don't put on the miles on my car. At the time I bought it sales and service guys scared me by saying, "we will void your warranty if..." or "Someone came in with blown turbos from one of those other tuners and he had to pay for it." Of course I thought, SH*t, that sucks! So went the way of Dinan and got sold on buying the stage 3 setup since my friend got me 20% off everything including labor. That helped but it was still steep. What I later realized is I am one of those that want to mod for more power later. Give me more hp I say! Dinan was limited with that. When I heard about a turbo swap down the road and other tunes I figured out that maybe I made a mistake. I did wonder how much I wanted to push it with a car that was German, expensive and hard fix on your own.

What I hear about the Procede from different sources tells me I might very well enjoy that on my car. It has more control for Octane levels. It has more power. Finally, it is always changing with the times. If I didn't have a Dinan flash on my car I would be willing to try it out, I can tell you that.

For now I will just enjoy my car the way it is and learn to drive it better the way it is. I may end up getting a different car to mod as a track car. If I do get a track car I can say that modding will probably stop after the wheels and tires I order for the E92.

This goes out to all the people that say Dinan owners are blindly backing the product without being honest. My car is fast, just not super fast. I have dyno'd it to know. I won't hit 400whp anytime soon but I am fine with that for now.
Nice review!
But you know you're not stuck with you're problem! I know that there is at least one guy running the dinan tune with a custom JB+ so if you're interested in more power shoot Terry a PM over at the other forum and you can definitely add a respectable amount of power to you're current car for a reasonable amount of price and quick install/uninstall, plus it undetectable and worse case scenario were you're car threw a code, they can't say or prove anything cus you have a dinan flash, and it can always be the reason for throwing the code.

You can also add the Dual Cone intake to you're car which is also a quick install/uninstall (although i've taken the car to service numerous times with the dual cones and never got asked or denied service because of it) that has been proven to give 15rwhp

And finally, if you don't care much about you're warranty anymore and since you said that you only drive the car for 6000miles a year which means you're service visits are very rare, just get catless downpipes and those are worth another 15-20rwhp, there are a couple of dinan guys like you who have done it and they seem to love it.

So i say don't stop modding You have a lot of options, if I was in you're shoes, I'd do all of the above, but maybe give second thoughts about the downpipes but only cus I hate to have my car drone and be loud.
2015 BMW F80 M3: Tractive EDC Suspension / Dinan Anti-Roll Bars / GC Camber Plates / KMP Dual Diff Mount / Girodisc Rotors / GT4 Brake Cooling Kit / PTF Flash Tune / Eisenmann Downpipes / CSF Heat Exchanger / BMS Charge Pipes
2007 BMW E92 335i (SOLD): BMS JB4 / Quaife LSD / Riss Racing DPs / Helix Intercooler / BMS Intake / STETT Charge Pipe / Forge DVs
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 02:54 PM   #6
dlbrooks18
Brigadier General
Rep

^, I have the RR catless and it's no louder while crusing, sounds meaner in a good way when you rev it up and WOT though.. go catless and love it, I know I do with my Dinan stage 2
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 03:29 PM   #7
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep
Drives: '08 335i cabrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuLoOoSki View Post
Nice review!
But you know you're not stuck with you're problem!

I know that there is at least one guy running the dinan tune with a custom JB+ so if you're interested in more power shoot Terry a PM over at the other forum and you can definitely add a respectable amount of power to you're current car for a reasonable amount of price and quick install/uninstall, plus it undetectable and worse case scenario were you're car threw a code, they can't say or prove anything cus you have a dinan flash, and it can always be the reason for throwing the code.

You can also add the Dual Cone intake to you're car which is also a quick install/uninstall (although i've taken the car to service numerous times with the dual cones and never got asked or denied service because of it) that has been proven to give 15rwhp

And finally, if you don't care much about you're warranty anymore and since you said that you only drive the car for 6000miles a year which means you're service visits are very rare, just get catless downpipes and those are worth another 15-20rwhp, there are a couple of dinan guys like you who have done it and they seem to love it.

So i say don't stop modding You have a lot of options, if I was in you're shoes, I'd do all of the above, but maybe give second thoughts about the downpipes but only cus I hate to have my car drone and be loud.
+100
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 03:41 PM   #8
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
oh boy....
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 03:44 PM   #9
dlbrooks18
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
oh boy....
what's the "oh boy" for?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 03:45 PM   #10
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbrooks18 View Post
what's the "oh boy" for?
The suggestion to stack a tune on top of another tune.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 03:46 PM   #11
dlbrooks18
Brigadier General
Rep

^ oh ok..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 03:47 PM   #12
dlbrooks18
Brigadier General
Rep

Shiv, any proceed guys running with the dinan as well or is this a JBX exclusive venture?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 04:00 PM   #13
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Shiv, any proceed guys running with the dinan as well or is this a JBX exclusive venture?
I don't know of anyone running a PROcede on top of a flash. It's certainly possible to do but it would require special mapping that would only address the areas of the Dinan tune that needed to be addressed (say, above 5000rpm above 50%). Can't do that with a non-RPM or TPS referenced MAP attenuator regardless of what people may suggest. You will just end up with hybrid tune that trades one compromise from another. The idea of adding a tune on top of someone else's tune is silly unless the tuner has complete understanding of the underlying tune. And unless the tuner actually developed the underlying tune, that's not likely.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 04:03 PM   #14
joec500
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: it has 4 wheels

To the OP:

Well in the end you have piece of mind, you know that the tune has all the supporting mods to safely support the engine tune. I would even go out on a limb and say that Dinan has a TON of room to add more power with the required oil cooler and intercooler for the stage III car.

If this is a car you keep indefinitely, you have all the supporting mods to increase your chances of having a trouble free/durable car (all relative of course).

But as most enthusiasts that hang out on the forums, we get numbed pretty quickly after initial mods, and are always craving more, and when we get to the point where there is not much more modding that can be done, a new project must be started and the old project is usually parted out and sold.

Wow....our hobby is a true money pit...BUT Damn it's fun.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 04:16 PM   #15
BuLoOoSki
Colonel
Kuwait
Rep

Quote:
The suggestion to stack a tune on top of another tune.
Well that's only you're opinion, but you know there are people actually running that setup with a CUSTOM map and are extremely happy with the results. So just cus you haven't be able to do this yet and for the sake of not misleading people, please keep you're untrue personal opinions to your self
2015 BMW F80 M3: Tractive EDC Suspension / Dinan Anti-Roll Bars / GC Camber Plates / KMP Dual Diff Mount / Girodisc Rotors / GT4 Brake Cooling Kit / PTF Flash Tune / Eisenmann Downpipes / CSF Heat Exchanger / BMS Charge Pipes
2007 BMW E92 335i (SOLD): BMS JB4 / Quaife LSD / Riss Racing DPs / Helix Intercooler / BMS Intake / STETT Charge Pipe / Forge DVs
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 04:19 PM   #16
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Well that's only you're opinion, but you know there are people actually running that setup with a CUSTOM map and are extremely happy with the results. So just cus you haven't be able to do this yet and for the sake of not misleading people, please keep you're untrue personal opinions to your self
What is this "custom map" you are referring to? I'm not misleading anyone.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 04:20 PM   #17
BuLoOoSki
Colonel
Kuwait
Rep

Quote:
Just for clarification, BMS has a product called JB+ (different than JB1, JB2, and JB3) which is similar to the SSTT, but like I said i know atleast one guy who requested BMS to create a CUSTOM map for them using the JB+ that would work safely in correlation with the Dinan tune.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 04:21 PM   #18
BuLoOoSki
Colonel
Kuwait
Rep

Quote:
What is this "custom map" you are referring to? I'm not misleading anyone.
I personally don't have a dinan tune nor do I have a JB+, but by custom map I mean a map that is different than the regular map that comes a long with the JB+ that is customized to work safely in correlation with the dinan tune to produce more power
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 04:23 PM   #19
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Just for clarification, BMS has a product called JB+ (different than JB1, JB2, and JB3) which is similar to the SSTT, but like I said i know atleast one guy who requested BMS to create a CUSTOM map for them using the JB+ that would work safely in correlation with the Dinan tune.
How can a simple tune "customize" a reflash when it only reads and modifies the TMAP sensor? The only thing you can do with that is apply a scalar offset to boost pressure independent of RPM or TPS. This isn't "customizing". It's the same effect as putting a couple of resistors in the TMAP line. Would you consider that "customizing" as well?

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 04:59 PM   #20
vase330
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 E63S; 15.5 RangeRover ATB

To me adding a JB or PROCede ontop of a Dinan stage II or III makes no sense at all. And I am talking technical. Choose one or the other even if you want to dump one you already paid for. Two half tunes does not make a whole tune. For starters, Dinan is not cheap, especia$$y stage $$$. You get a better tune if you go all Dinan, all JB or all PROCede, than you are getting stacking stuff up. Just don't do it. You guys did not see that hirallious thread where a guy on here had problems stacking JB on Dinan and then tried to blame Dinan..?
      03-31-2009, 05:58 PM   #21
dlbrooks18
Brigadier General
Rep

From what I've read, Terry also prefer's sticking to just one tune.. but fact is he no doubt found a way to trick the Dinan flash into adding more boost down low and up top, so now no more boost taper control.. couple that with speed limiter defeat and that sounds like a pretty nice option to me, especially if someone has other supporting mods like upgraded FMIC..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 06:11 PM   #22
getInline
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 335 Coupe, c32 AMG

To the OP, you have a great tune....be happy with it and please don't start stacking tunes, that's just crazy.
Appreciate 0