E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Photo/Video/Media Gallery > 335iS Thread - [ Owners Only ]

03-05-2015, 08:11 AM   #3675
Kid Eh
I used to be conceited, now I'm perfect.
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
I've got 245/35's snow tires on the back and zero rubbing.

"I used to be conceited. Now I'm perfect"
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2015, 09:25 AM   #3676
SCCThree
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M

I too would like to get a taller set of tires all around on my 19 inch 313s. I am still running the stock RFTs and recently found out my back two wheels are cracked and one of the fronts are slightly bent.

I am getting the back two welded and the front straightened. The roads I travel to and from work here in Dallas are filled with deep potholes and rough train tracks as well as seams between slabs sticking up. When the IS hits these seams/potholes/tracks it really takes some hard thuds. I guess I need to start driving like I am in a damn low rider. I have tried to avoid these things as best as I can but it apparantly wasnt enough.

I know the RFTs have very stiff sidewalls that transfer alot of the energy from bumps straight into the wheel. I would like to go with something softer but I do not like the idea of running regular tires without a spare.

The other issue is that my RFTs are pretty much new w/ only 5k miles on them. Not sure what to do with this damn situation.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2015, 10:18 AM   #3677
SUHleen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCThree
I too would like to get a taller set of tires all around on my 19 inch 313s. I am still running the stock RFTs and recently found out my back two wheels are cracked and one of the fronts are slightly bent.

I am getting the back two welded and the front straightened. The roads I travel to and from work here in Dallas are filled with deep potholes and rough train tracks as well as seams between slabs sticking up. When the IS hits these seams/potholes/tracks it really takes some hard thuds. I guess I need to start driving like I am in a damn low rider. I have tried to avoid these things as best as I can but it apparantly wasnt enough.

I know the RFTs have very stiff sidewalls that transfer alot of the energy from bumps straight into the wheel. I would like to go with something softer but I do not like the idea of running regular tires without a spare.

The other issue is that my RFTs are pretty much new w/ only 5k miles on them. Not sure what to do with this damn situation.
You don't have triple a or some type of roadside assistance? Even if I were to have a run flat I'd rather just wait and get it towed....

But if you get a non run flat tire it will help out a tremendous amount with noise and ride quality. I would ditch them and get yourself a set of continental DWS. They are great all season tires that last a decent amount of time, ride fairly smooth, are not too loud, and get decent traction. Plus they are fairly cheap compared to other options. Once you switch tires you will wonder why you didn't do it sooner. Just keep the good RFT's as spare tires just in case or try to sell them?
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2015, 06:13 PM   #3678
EHDEN
Brigadier General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 435i

Garage List
2014 BMW 435i  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMITTR View Post
The "is" was BMW's extraordinary parting shot to the N54. BMWs are all over the place in S. Cal but not ISes. The car is a masterpiece and will only become more and more sought after! Everytime I take mine into the dealer for servicing someone asks me if I will sell it - including the dealer. My answer is always "nope."

when 335is.com was up and running (company I sold the software to is having issues) we had many "IS" links - were compiling all we could find. If I can ever get site back up there were some good ones there; including specific IS parts as, like you, I the 335i parts will fit the 335is scenario is not entirely true and it would be nice to know what does and what does not. We had some of that on the site too. Maybe the company will get its act together so I can pull the data off relaunch it somewhere else.
the 335IS is in high demand. I remember when I sold mine 2 years ago, I got about 5K more than it was worth. Great car. can't believe this thread is the still kicking strong. I remember when I started it.
I now have the 435i and I love it but mannn i MISS that 335is almost every day
      03-07-2015, 10:48 PM   #3679
02er
Rep

Was anyone able to fish the JB4 Bluetooth USB through the firewall in their IS? I am going cross eyed looking at same DIY pictures only to find out our IS glovebox area looks very different. I tried fishing through the ECU hole etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2015, 01:21 AM   #3680
RSL
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 ///M3 (Retired) / 335is

Not sure what the Bluetooth USB is, but there's a small vent/passage from the DME box into the cabin. If you take the cover off the passenger footwell under the glovebox, you can see it up there on the firewall. It's just about wide enough to get a USB cable through. Easiest way to get a cable in is to run it from the box into the cabin. The cable needs to go in and angle down. It helps to pull everything out of the DME box, but at least the DME will need to be removed.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2015, 07:29 AM   #3681
02er
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSL View Post
Not sure what the Bluetooth USB is, but there's a small vent/passage from the DME box into the cabin. If you take the cover off the passenger footwell under the glovebox, you can see it up there on the firewall. It's just about wide enough to get a USB cable through. Easiest way to get a cable in is to run it from the box into the cabin. The cable needs to go in and angle down. It helps to pull everything out of the DME box, but at least the DME will need to be removed.
Thanks. That is exactly what I had been trying to do as well. Have you done this to your IS? The reason I ask is because the passanger footwell area is more crowded/different than the pictures posted on the tutorial topic. If you can post any pics as to where exactly the cable will come out from, I would greatly appreciaate it. I have a convertible IS in case that makes a difference. This is the last piece (for now) to finish my charge pipe, DCI, JB4 installation weekend
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2015, 01:04 PM   #3682
RSL
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 ///M3 (Retired) / 335is

Yes, I did this on my IS. I had a JB4 on it for a couple of months back when I first got it. The JB4 is actually still sitting in the garage LOL I thought I had my own pics, but I can't find them. I borrowed these from the thread you likely saw and the IS is exactly the same.

Keep in mind, going "into" the cabin from the DME box is not far at all, less than 1". As you can see from the box/inside pics, the vent is attached directly to the back of the DME box. When you push the USB cable in through the DME box, have the end angled down and to the right and you will have to push it, it won't just fall through. I was only able to get half the end through into the cabin from the DME side and then had to grab the end with pliers on the cabin side and pull it through.

If you pull the footwell cover and look, you should see this little vent. IIRC, it was just to the left/semi-behind a large bundle of looms/wires, but it's there. As you can see, there's just about enough room to get the USB end through, it's not just going to fall through. You need to push it in and it may take a couple of tries to get the right alignment. It might be easier if you could have someone watch for it from inside, but it's not necessary.

Appreciate 0
      03-08-2015, 02:16 PM   #3683
02er
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSL View Post
Yes, I did this on my IS. I had a JB4 on it for a couple of months back when I first got it. The JB4 is actually still sitting in the garage LOL I thought I had my own pics, but I can't find them. I borrowed these from the thread you likely saw and the IS is exactly the same.

Keep in mind, going "into" the cabin from the DME box is not far at all, less than 1". As you can see from the box/inside pics, the vent is attached directly to the back of the DME box. When you push the USB cable in through the DME box, have the end angled down and to the right and you will have to push it, it won't just fall through. I was only able to get half the end through into the cabin from the DME side and then had to grab the end with pliers on the cabin side and pull it through.

If you pull the footwell cover and look, you should see this little vent. IIRC, it was just to the left/semi-behind a large bundle of looms/wires, but it's there. As you can see, there's just about enough room to get the USB end through, it's not just going to fall through. You need to push it in and it may take a couple of tries to get the right alignment. It might be easier if you could have someone watch for it from inside, but it's not necessary
Thank you very much. I just couldnt find that vent inside the cabin because it was hiding behind some kind of metal piece. I had to reach with my hand and feel it to find it. After feeding the cable from the DME box, I reached in the vent and was able to pull it from there. Appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2015, 03:27 AM   #3684
EMITTR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 335is Coupe BSM

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by EHDEN View Post
the 335IS is in high demand. I remember when I sold mine 2 years ago, I got about 5K more than it was worth. Great car. can't believe this thread is the still kicking strong. I remember when I started it.
The voice of EHDEN who started the 335is Thread Garden of EHDEN! Yeah still going strong! LOL!!! 435i is a beautiful ride! I want one or an M4 or older M3. The ///M would be my daily car and the IS my weekend car! LOL!!! When I am not driving her I have Delirium Tremens from the withdrawl...well ok a bit over-the-top but when I am not driving her...I find myself wanting to!
'11 BSM DCT 7 Spd. 335is | RPi | aFe Magnum Flow Direct Fit | Interad DTM 10 Forged | Smoked Reflectors | Huper Optik Tint | Arkym Rear Diffuser | Cyba CF Quad Tips | iND CF CRT Rear Spoiler | COBB Protune | Turbosmart BPV | AutoCarbon CF Grills | Silver CF e-Brake | BMW CF Mirror Shrouds | M Perf. Steering Wheel v2 | KW DDC Coilovers w/WLAN | Interior Xenon LEDs | Custom 335is Accents | F/R Fenders Rolled & Pulled | New Pipes Baffle Delete
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2015, 07:12 AM   #3685
SCCThree
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMITTR View Post
The voice of EHDEN who started the 335is Thread Garden of EHDEN! Yeah still going strong! LOL!!! 435i is a beautiful ride! I want one or an M4 or older M3. The ///M would be my daily car and the IS my weekend car! LOL!!! When I am not driving her I have Delirium Tremens from the withdrawl...well ok a bit over-the-top but when I am not driving her...I find myself wanting to!
I hope they make a 435IS one of these days.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2015, 11:20 AM   #3686
BMOEW
Lieutenant Colonel
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is AW

I cracked my front lip :/
Attached Images

2011 335IS Alpine White|Coral Red|DCT|BuraQ E60 Tune|DCI|VRSF 3" DownPipes| ER ChargePipe w/ HKS SSQV BOV|VRSF 7" FMIC|RB PCV| BMS Oil Catch Can|NGK 5992|AQUAMIST HFS-4 w/Twin Methanol Tank|Custom Exhaust| ST Coilovers| and a METAL FOOT
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2015, 03:22 PM   #3687
11LMBiSTT
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A to B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOEW View Post
That's why I still haven't put mine on yet

Good luck getting it fixed and hope everything else is alright.

Just an idea, get it repaired, paint the whole thing white and add the red stripe in the front.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2015, 04:48 PM   #3688
mmorrismm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 335is AW Coral Red

What he said.
But it wont be an N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCThree View Post
      03-10-2015, 05:44 PM   #3689
DOMs335D
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 1991 318is; 2017 M2

Garage List
1991 BMW 318is  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
2011 BMW 335is  [0.00]
Quote:
Don't you think that the M package for the current 4 series is supposed to take on that role?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 08:35 PM   #3690
EMITTR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah...that would cause added controversy as anything branded "is"
seems to do. Europe always gets the special higher performance models and every decade or so Munich throws those of us who reside across the pond, a bone. If what this article below says remains true, the 335is was the last IS. Really low production numbers to boot on the IS anyway when you compare it to BMW's other lines (with the exception of the 500 1Ms made - think that is what the dealer said the total was). The article was pre ///M235i and predicted that is what BMW would do and they did - which is also caused ire with Car and Driver who said they should have branded the ///M235i the 235is and not have an M on the badge.

We sometimes joke about the IS being the ///M2.5 but with the M235i running the same ///M Performance brand as did the IS and pretty close on the performance numbers, this article would make sense.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...ce-line-report

Again for my 335is brethren and sisteren (new word) - lest I commit sacrilege with my affinity for the M3/M4 - I am all 335iser! That's for you T-Money! LOL!
'11 BSM DCT 7 Spd. 335is | RPi | aFe Magnum Flow Direct Fit | Interad DTM 10 Forged | Smoked Reflectors | Huper Optik Tint | Arkym Rear Diffuser | Cyba CF Quad Tips | iND CF CRT Rear Spoiler | COBB Protune | Turbosmart BPV | AutoCarbon CF Grills | Silver CF e-Brake | BMW CF Mirror Shrouds | M Perf. Steering Wheel v2 | KW DDC Coilovers w/WLAN | Interior Xenon LEDs | Custom 335is Accents | F/R Fenders Rolled & Pulled | New Pipes Baffle Delete

Last edited by EMITTR; 03-11-2015 at 12:04 PM..
Appreciate 2
      03-10-2015, 09:42 PM   #3691
JRV-F82-M4
Proud Father of a Univ. of Mich. Chemical Engineer
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by EHDEN View Post
To the garden-of-IS-EHDEN...I take a bow to you for starting THE best thread on this forum. Thank you so much.

This thread has provided me with many, many hours or entertainment and education. My 2012 IS only has 19k miles on it and I plan on keeping it for at least 4 more years. I recently purchased a Sparta BBK and I am just getting started modding this beast. So I am literally as excited about my car now as you were when you started this thread over 3 years ago. Anyway...thank you for starting this thread and please know... that the IS community is still going strong.
Current: '16 F82 M4, Avus Blue, DCT, BavSound, Winters-19" 437s, Summers-19” BBS FI-Rs Past: '13 E92 M3-Jet Black, '12 E92 335is-Space Gray, '06 E90 330i-Jet Black, '99 E46-328i-Green, '96 E36 328is-Jet Black

Last edited by JRV-F82-M4; 03-10-2015 at 10:01 PM..
Appreciate 2
      03-11-2015, 11:59 AM   #3692
EMITTR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOEW View Post
ugh! cringe! Real CF? Can I ask who makes it?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 12:02 PM   #3693
EMITTR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRV335is View Post
To the garden-of-IS-EHDEN...I take a bow to you for starting THE best thread on this forum. Thank you so much.

This thread has provided me with many, many hours or entertainment and education. My 2012 IS only has 19k miles on it and I plan on keeping it for at least 4 more years. I recently purchased a Sparta BBK and I am just getting started modding this beast. So I am literally as excited about my car now as you were when you started this thread over 3 years ago. Anyway...thank you for starting this thread and please know... that the IS community is still going strong.
+1
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 12:24 PM   #3694
Fun w/N54
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 335is AW/CR/DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOMs335D View Post
Don't you think that the M package for the current 4 series is supposed to take on that role?
Last year Automobile Mag had an article and cited the 335is replacement would be called M440i.
Appreciate 1
      03-11-2015, 12:36 PM   #3695
EMITTR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun w/N54 View Post
Last year Automobile Mag had an article and cited the 335is replacement would be called M440i.
Good post! Sounds like this is happening...

That would certainly be in line with the M235i branding and the article - it is flourishing in the M440i Rumorville (just looked it up). They are talking 330hp which would suck. But I don't think BMW wants the "IS" M Performance version now called M(some-number)i to rival the M Power cars. Still would like to see more than 330hp crank though 340 to start would be nice and jive somewhat with the M440i badging.

http://www.bimmerfile.com/2014/07/10...0i-gran-coupe/
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 07:17 PM   #3696
BMOEW
Lieutenant Colonel
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is AW

Swapping out to blacked out headlights
Attached Images

2011 335IS Alpine White|Coral Red|DCT|BuraQ E60 Tune|DCI|VRSF 3" DownPipes| ER ChargePipe w/ HKS SSQV BOV|VRSF 7" FMIC|RB PCV| BMS Oil Catch Can|NGK 5992|AQUAMIST HFS-4 w/Twin Methanol Tank|Custom Exhaust| ST Coilovers| and a METAL FOOT
Appreciate 1