E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Buying new cars from UK

05-15-2011, 04:12 PM   #1
scheps
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TTMK2

Buying new cars from UK

Anyone thought about that seriously?

I know we all talk about how marked up the price of cars here for various reasons etc but has anyone actually taken the next step and seriously considered/investigated the actual savings and 3rd party companies required?

A friends colleague is about to do that on a 911 turbo S which is about 450k here driveaway and apparently saving ~30%!

I guess the savings are greater when you buy a more expensive car.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 05:51 PM   #2
purifyer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e93 335i

I think you'd be moronic if you bought a 100k+ car without investigating the possibility of saving money

I think this topic has been beaten to death though; You simply cannot import a private car UNLESS you have owned the car for 12 months AND have proof you were using it in this other country (eg. registration, parking tickets, etc)

This rule has certain exceptions - old cars (pre ?some year in the eighties) and 'exotic' cars that are not able to be purchased in Au.

So it is only worth attempting to import if you have a cushy year + expat gig then come back
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 06:59 PM   #3
TaylorA
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 335

Even if you do qualify for an import license, you will still be slugged for the same local taxes when you try to register it.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 07:35 PM   #4
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep
Drives: a black car

Two ways of bringing them in:
1) Personal import rule where you've owned the car overseas for > 12months. You can only bring in a personal import once every 5 years though
2) Bring in a car and get it complied as long as the car is not sold new through an official vendor here.
Interestingly enough though, Ferrari and Lamborghini don't sell in large enough volumes here to be classified as an official vendor, hence the 'official' dealers here just act as compliers (similar to Jap import compliance workshops). So you can import a current shape Fez as long as you can get it complied.. there are quite a few imports of Ferrari's and Lambos floating around too.. much cheaper as well and virtually identical cars.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 03:27 AM   #5
NBTBRV8
Captain
Rep
Drives: LCi E60 530i

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/motor/index.aspx

An imported car is not worth the same price as a locally delivered car if it is a run of the mill item.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 03:41 AM   #6
scheps
Lieutenant
Rep

yea i must investigate this further. Coz I am just talking about new cars, and not having to own it for 12 months therefore paying the taxes, transportation as well as the compliancing by a 3rd party company. Apparently for porsche, the warranty stands and not all lost and its supposed to work out better still.

It makes sense to be worth less if imported, unless you import something we cant get here perhaps
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 03:43 AM   #7
scheps
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmroxm5 View Post
there are quite a few imports of Ferrari's and Lambos floating around too.. much cheaper as well and virtually identical cars.
This i like
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 04:46 AM   #8
purifyer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheps View Post
This i like
the ferrari/lambo idea is a good one... if you were to get a car like that
Appreciate 0