E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > The worst/longest night of my life... (so far)

07-09-2012, 04:28 AM   #1
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 M-Tech 328i

The worst/longest night of my life... (so far)

On Friday night, I went to the canyons on a cruise with a few friends to get away from the city life, lights, and drama. As we went up the way, a buddy and I started to play a bit in the canyons. We went an average of 60-80 all the way through until we reached our spot. We met a few other cars and met a new person up there with a supercharged e36 M3. He was a very cool guy and his car was gorgeous not to mention it was whipping 360 whp . Anywho, when we went back down to go home, I hit a huge patch of gravel and slid toward the wall at 20mph and understeered the whole way even when I was braking. I didn't slam on the brakes hard enough for abs to kick in but I hit the wall with my rim. Luckily, I was going only 20 so the damage on my car was very minor. Except, I dented my rim, popped a tire, ripped my muffler, scratched my paint and threw off 3 codes. I haven't had a chance to check what the codes said. But I rode on my flat tire for about 30 miles (it was 3 in the morning and no one had a spare or tripple a) I know I sound stupid for even doing that and let alone going 40 with it on. Now my car pulls a bit to the right and I have a traction light and two ! Lights on. What do you suppose the fix would be for it?
Driving is like having sex.
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 04:46 AM   #2
aizze
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 328i

dude this kind of exactly happened to me this Tuesday, but for me I miss calculated a turn and hit a curb causing my car to jump it. luckily I reacted fast enough and got it to land on road, but at first the car was alright until I drove it a little bit. eventually i noticed that the steering wheel had to be turned to the left in order for me to go straight and after 15 minutes of drive time my brake light turned on (in yellow not red) and also my traction control light turned on. I lifted the car the next day and noticed I bent my lower control arm, changed out the part and the car went back to normal, no alignment needed and the lights turned off by themselves.

I hope your fix is as simple as mine! good luck
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 04:49 AM   #3
#Tee
Major General
Rep
Drives: yes

Glad youre ok, nothing good ever cums out goin up those canyons. Everyone wants to prove theyre king of the hill up there after watching initial D. They tend to listen to unce unce to "pump" themselves during charge up there. Hope you learned your lesson as things could of been much worse. You prolly bent a tie rod end, best would do a visual inspection locate the bent component rnr and have it aligned.

You can follow my builds on IG: Tee212
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 04:54 AM   #4
aizze
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by StretchNpoke View Post
Glad youre ok, nothing good ever cums out goin up those canyons. Everyone wants to prove theyre king of the hill up there after watching initial D. They tend to listen to unce unce to "pump" themselves during charge up there. Hope you learned your lesson as things could of been much worse. You prolly bent a tie rod end, best would do a visual inspection locate the bent component rnr and have it aligned.
Takumi in the making, hope he wasn't doing the cuming...
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 05:30 AM   #5
Cisco661
Cisco661
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Monaco Blue 330I

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Someone's gotta some tools And a spare when going to the canyons. Bad call one All you parts. Good luck. Hate to hear about the damage.
      07-09-2012, 06:45 AM   #6
M3inMG
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2016 BMW F80  [0.00]
If thats the worst night if your life, life is good. It can be fixed. Could of been a lot worse.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 07:11 AM   #7
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Boy View Post
If thats the worst night if your life, life is good. It can be fixed. Could of been a lot worse.
They could have been blotting you up with handi wipes in a ravine somewhere. Be blessed.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 08:05 AM   #8
e1001usa
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Boy
You are so right
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 08:12 AM   #9
diamondbimmer92
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 335xi

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Yes...All material items can always be replaced OP. Drive safely because lives are not replaceable!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 08:21 AM   #10
Castle
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 320i

Quote:
Yeah. Either life is good, or you're too young to have lived through real tough times Some of us need to understand that no matter how much we love our cars they are just...well, cars. And cars come and go, just like any other material thing. I am glad you are OK, and I hope you're glad for that, too.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 08:38 AM   #11
Turb0Surge
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BLACK e90 335i

No biggie. Probably just a couple of tie rods messed up, along with your wheel, and your exhaust. The tie rods are what made the abs light come on. The exhaust would throw a few check engine codes, I'm sure.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 09:46 AM   #12
CombatNinja
Banned
Rep
Drives: e91 328i, e90 328i, e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turb0Surge View Post
e90's don't come with a spare tire, nor do they have room for one. (unless you decide to use your trunk space for that)
I know they don't have a spare but you have to have some kind of plan that doesn't involve driving your car with unknown damage. It doesn't matter if it is 3 AM or not, you just don't drive a car with unknown damage away from an incident like that. Your car is damaged, it's dark and you're up in the canyons with steep drops, sheer walls and unknown debris on the road. Lesson here: suck it up and call for a tow. A night like this can go from bad to worse real quick if you suffer catastrophic suspension or hub failure on the way down. As for now, have your car towedto an authorized BMW collision center and have them sort it, what else can you do? I wouldn't trust this to a DIY in the garage. Let an expert look at the damage to the suspension.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 09:56 AM   #13
Turb0Surge
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BLACK e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatNinja View Post
I know they don't have a spare but you have to have some kind of plan that doesn't involve driving your car with unknown damage. It doesn't matter if it is 3 AM or not, you just don't drive a car with unknown damage away from an incident like that. Your car is damaged, it's dark and you're up in the canyons with steep drops, sheer walls and unknown debris on the road. Lesson here: suck it up and call for a tow. A night like this can go from bad to worse real quick if you suffer catastrophic suspension or hub failure on the way down. As for now, have your car towedto an authorized BMW collision center and have them sort it, what else can you do? I wouldn't trust this to a DIY in the garage. Let an expert look at the damage to the suspension.
Damn.... I thought you would come back with some kind of solution to the spare problem, like a place to put it. (I don't feel safe without a spare anyway)

But yeah... Very true.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 11:48 AM   #14
username604
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by StretchNpoke
+17
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 12:44 PM   #15
PSEE
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d

prolly?

Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 12:51 PM   #16
kdbryce
I have to return some video tapes
United_States
Rep
Drives: e70 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshall834 View Post

He's already having a rough day. Why hate?

OP: Sorry to hear... happened to me in the snow, turned out to be 5K in damage. But apparently mistakes don't happen so I guess I was "driving beyond my ability"
+1

i tried drifting around a turn in the snow once and slid into a curb

luckily only my rim hit, but a bunch of codes came up and my car was riding funny

after a while, it started driving normally again and when i got back in my car all the codes were gone haha

i'd get it checked out by the dealer though
      07-09-2012, 01:57 PM   #17
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Thank you everyone for kind words. Whether bashing or not, I understand that I shoudlve had a spare ready but the people I drive with don't have the same lug pattern nor know people with bmws. I'm going to invest in one or a set very soon. I know it could've been a lot worst but still scks to damage my car at all. And I understand that the night could've ended me dead and deep lost in the mountains that is precisely iwhy I wrote "so far." The thing was, I didn't push beyond my limits, I was only going 20 mph and braking moderately. I'm a regular canyon runner at this road and id say its my "home turf" and I had no choice but to drive 15 mi. Down to the city. I had no signal, no lights, no safety. When I got down, I called multiple towing companies that quoted me 300-400+ in towing back home. I called everyone I knew and no one had a spare. Hopefully ill. Only need a few things under 100$ to turn the light off or even just an alignment. I forgot to mention it too but my BRAKE light also turned on yellow, what does that mean?
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 03:17 PM   #18
VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
I want to say that it's just your alignment that is off but you had to drive quite awhile on a flat at higher speeds, probably changed a lot of other suspension components going 30+ miles. Glad you're safe, I have many horror stories up in GMR, Azuza and Angeles Crest.
      07-10-2012, 02:45 AM   #19
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMRWheels View Post
I want to say that it's just your alignment that is off but you had to drive quite awhile on a flat at higher speeds, probably changed a lot of other suspension components going 30+ miles. Glad you're safe, I have many horror stories up in GMR, Azuza and Angeles Crest.
How'd you know I was at GMR? Lol
On a serious note; thank you and I'm getting an alignment on Saturday. Hopefully my lights and codes go away. My buddy told me that I probably bent my lower control arm or tie rod ill find out tomorrow hopefully I didn't bend anything
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 11:15 AM   #20
edirtaynine
Major General
Rep
Drives: e92

sorry to hear. this couldve been avoided with a proper N1 exhaust look on the bright side though... perfect reason/time to get rid of those ugly wheels.

jm3as hooks it up
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 11:29 AM   #21
Brennan
'The Godfather'
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SAAB 9-3 Aero TTiD

Mate, it probably wasnt the wisest thing to do. Best thing for you to do now is get your car to a garage to get it checked out, dont drive it there get it brought there on a lorry or you could risk more damage. It will cost you, but if you care for your car then you wont care how much it costs to fix.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 11:29 AM   #22
elim11
Major
Rep
Drives: e90m3

Hope you get everything worked out. Play with fire enough and you'll get burned...
You should take it to the track. Be glad its just some car damage (fixable) and you not sliding off the cliff....