E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Just picked up car from CBU Cleaning

10-23-2014, 05:42 PM   #1
kbsilver
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340GT & '22 eDrive40

Just picked up car from CBU Cleaning

Car is a later 2011 335D with 53K on the clock. It threw an SES Code for minimum adaptation on injector #2 with an associated occasional misfire at idle. Running the car hard cleared up the misfire and the SES went out on it's own. It essentially seemed to run fine (with some minor exceptions). Brought the car in anyway and it was found to have CBU. BMW took advantage of having an example so close to corp headquarters sending down some field engineers to carefully capture engine parameters before cleaning.

Had the walnut shell head cleaning and intake replaced (not cleaned as per engineering instructions). No injectors were or ever have been changed on the car (I've never used any fuel additives). DDE program updated (they may still be tweaking the program). The car was driven (I gave permission for a tech to take it home for the night) to be put back on the computer the next day for measurements and resetting the injector zero adaptation values.

Observations:
-Car runs great
-Butt dyno says it's running stronger
-Turbo lag seemed to be less noticeable after cleaning
-MPG is back! Will test soon on a trip but seems to be 10-15% better
-Idle speed in gear is about 75 RPM higher

In the end BMW took very good care of me, workmanship excellent, visually does not appear to have been worked on. The only issue is this will likely happen again as I do not think anything has really changed that would prevent it. And next time would be on my dime. But as the best driving car I ever owned, is probably worth it.

Last edited by kbsilver; 10-24-2014 at 07:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 05:59 PM   #2
only9balls
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Ugh, I just bought a 2011, and I am starting to freak out reading about all these CBU issues
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 06:00 PM   #3
kbsilver
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by only9balls View Post
Ugh, I just bought a 2011, and I am starting to freak out reading about all these CBU issues
Far from end of the world, at least there are now reasonable procedures to deal with it. If you have a warranty, it's covered.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 06:03 PM   #4
Masque
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

And if you don't have a warranty, it's not a bad idea to pick one up. You can buy an extended warranty from any dealership in the country, so don't be afraid to shop around - sometimes even just pointing that fact out to your local dealer will result in a "friendly discount".
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 06:10 PM   #5
ewodzien
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 3.5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by only9balls View Post
Once you get behind the wheel tomorrow, you'll be freaking out the other direction. Besides, you still have a lot of warranty left And knowing you, you'll mod it to hell.

Introduce yourself Dave!

-Ed
Previous rides:2011 335d Jet Black / Black w/ Sport Pkg - Loaded
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2014, 07:05 AM   #6
modobrew
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbsilver View Post
Car is a later 2011 335D with 53K on the clock. It threw an SES Code for minimum adaptation on injector #2 with an associated occasional misfire at idle. Running the car hard cleared up the misfire and the SES went out on it's own. It essentially seemed to run fine (with some minor exceptions). Brought the car in anyway and it was found to have CBU. BMW took advantage of having an example so close to corp headquarters sending down some field engineers to carefully capture engine parameters before cleaning.

Had the walnut shell head cleaning and intake replaced (not cleaned as per engineering instructions). No injectors were or ever have been changed on the car (I've never used any fuel additives). DDE program updated (they may still be tweaking the program). The car was driven (I gave permission for a tech to take it home for the night) to be put back on the computer the next day for measurements and resetting the injector zero adaptation values.

Observations:
-Car runs great
-Butt dyno says it's running stronger
-Turbo lag seemed to less noticeable after cleaning
-MPG is back! Will test soon on a trip but seems to be 10-15% better
-Idle speed in gear is about 75 RPM higher

In the end BMW took very good care of me, workmanship excellent, visually does not appear to have been worked on. The only issue is this will likely happen again as I do not think anything has really changed that would prevent it. And next time would be on my dime. But as the best driving car I ever owned, is probably worth it.
Very similar to my experience with my local dealership. Only difference is that it appears they cleaned my intake rather than replacing it. Either way, the car seems to be running much better and the MPG has increased. I'll be filling up this afternoon, but based on the computer (which tends to be about 1-1.5 mph lower than actual) I'm currently getting 34.5 mpg. Before the surgery, I was getting 32-32.5 (computer), 33-33.5 actual.I plan to eventually do the EGR block to help prevent any further build up.

Edit: forgot to mention that prior to this recent service, I had taken the car in before and they replace all six injectors for the same minimum adaptation in injector #2 code.
      10-24-2014, 07:26 AM   #7
kbsilver
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by modobrew View Post
the computer (which tends to be about 1-1.5 mph lower than actual) I'm currently getting 34.5 mpg.
My OBC had always displayed about 5% low against actual for MPG. I found on the boards where you can change a multiplier to make it more accurate. But with a reload of the DDE, I have no idea if that parameter has been reset. I will soon be repeating a common trip I take of over 300 miles where I once achieved 42 MPG when the car was almost new. Conditions should be the same, not real cold, but no AC needed.

But even on it's worst day with the D, at least you would not watch the fuel gauge drop as you drive as it did with the X3 35 I had as a loaner.

It seems as they have learned that an injector code may not actually mean a bad injector. That's a good thing for anyone out of warranty as those suckers are really expensive.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2014, 07:09 AM   #8
Got_Diesel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d

OP, what dealer did you go to? Glad to hear it was all covered under warranty. I sense mine has some CB but I haven't seen a decrease in mileage. I have almost 61k on a 2010. It still runs great and pulls hard. I notice some engine roughness as well as a bit of lag.

did you have a JBD or any other mods to your engine?
      10-27-2014, 05:12 PM   #9
kbsilver
Captain
Rep

MPG numbers verified after CBU cleaning. I just drove over 700 miles this weekend with the newly cleaned engine, repeating a trip I had my previous all time high of 42 MPG. Although I did not reach 42 again, under the correct conditions I am confident the car will again now that the CBU has been removed. Note that this car is 100% stock, not a single modification (not even cosmetic).

From what I see 42 MPG is achievable under ideal conditions which are the following:
-Carbon free engine.
-17" Wheels
-Cool enough that AC is off and windows are closed, but not cold outside.
-Do not exceed 65 MPH.
-Clear weather and relatively flat roads
-No traffic
-No DPF Regens during the measurement period.

I did not have ideal conditions as I ran the AC and the DPF regenned during the trip. I think this reduces to an achievable 40 MPG with these 2 factors added. But I also exceeded 65 MPH and hit bumper to bumper traffic for nearly 40 minutes. Thus the 38.5 MPG achieved for the 330 mile trip by fuel consumption calculation (not the OBC which reads about 5% low) under these conditions is quite good and better that I have been able to get in 2 years.

On the return trip I reset the MPG indicator at the beginning of the 330 mile trip (did not fill the tank a the time) and was able to go 150 miles before the next regen kicked in. Up to that point was able to get an OBC indicated 40.5, which when corrected for accuracy puts actual MPG over 42. As I was watching MPG very carefully I have estimated than a DPF regen will consume between 0.1 - 0.2 gallons extra.

Last edited by kbsilver; 10-28-2014 at 08:12 PM..
Appreciate 0