E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > DTC error after DP install????

05-31-2009, 05:19 PM   #1
skitlz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

DTC error after DP install????

--Update--June 09--
--Car magically fixed itself--

Was wondering if anyone could help me. Finally installed my DP's the other day. What a PITA that was, lol. that 3 hour job took me like 8. AR's pipes are nice as hell though(shameless plug)

anyways, so after the the DP install, i installed the BMS o2 sims. Which i hope was in the right pins, lol.

Needless to say after about 15 miles of driving i get a wierd CEL. It looks like the symbol when u turn off DTC completly. The triangle with the circle, and another light is on in my dash also. Its the light that shows your parking brake is on, but instead of it being red, its yellow..

Those 2 lights stay on in my dash, doesnt seem like its affecting the car any though. Also i scanned my car with the BT scanner, and no codes are showing up.

So im at a loss, and wondering if it has anything to do with the o2 sims that may have been installed incorrectly.. /shrug.

so any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by skitlz; 06-09-2009 at 05:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2009, 05:50 PM   #2
A418t81
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Ever changing fleet

Garage List
2013 335is  [0.00]
Check your ABS sensor on the front passenger wheel and make sure you somehow didn't knock it out of alignment.
      05-31-2009, 07:11 PM   #3
skitlz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

anyone happen to know what that looks like by chance? and if theres any potential damage by me continuing to drive the car.. Since i dont really feel like taking it in for warranty work since i just spent 8 hours installing DP's. lol.. and dont really feel like going back to stock so soon.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2009, 08:27 PM   #4
bigaltech
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by skitlz View Post

anyways, so after the the DP install, i installed the BMS o2 sims. Which i hope was in the right pins, lol.
Did you double check these?

I'm interesting in purchasing downpipes soon as well and if you're going through this...it's not the greatest sign.....
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2009, 10:28 PM   #5
skitlz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

im about to put back in the original wires to see if the error goes away. It kinda makes sense since it was a delayed error.. Not to sure what the o2 sims do, or how they operate. Possibly resistor based, i dunno.. if they are though, it would kinda make sense.

the thing about the install into the jb3 pnp is that on the small black subconnector. the male and female ends dont match up number wise.. so its possible i did a complete bass akwards install. i think i went with the numbers from the female end.

now does anyone know what happends to the car physically when it throws a code for o2 errors if say u were running catless without the sims??? reduced power, or just a light?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 08:49 PM   #6
bigaltech
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

"The function of the Oxygen Sensor Simulator or O2 Sim is to mimic the signal of an O2 sensor sensing the proper levels of emissions. The O2 sim has an output signal wire that will replace the O2 sensor's signal wire to the engine control module. Now, with the cat removed, the check engine light will be off and no error message will be logged."
If you put the JB3 on backwards.. just double check that first.. I usually look at the original way it plugs in (note the direction on the arrow facing this end first) then match up the JB3 plug arrow and the pins stick in the same way the arrow points, can't mess it up that way... You can try pulling the negative battery terminal if you haven't already - although I'm not sure what long term codes get stored.. of course the only way to clear this is dealer, OBD2 scanner, or that BT? scanner thing from one of the vendors that clears the 'tuner' codes...
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 10:11 PM   #7
skitlz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

thx for the response.. The plug is installed the correct way. Its just that the male and female end pin out numbers dont correlate.. so i was unsure if i exracted the right pins for the o2 sims. 6 total.. i still have yet to throw the original wires back in to see if it works properly, and eventually get the o2 sensor error.

and i have a BT scanner,, but its really odd.. I would think that a error with the exclamation point, and then the DTC error with yellow brake light illuminated, would show up in the error log.. But only thing im getting is my exhaust flap solenoid error.. which is expected, since well its been unplugged.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 10:00 AM   #8
645Nm
only in it for the torque - awuleth'umshini wami
South Africa
Rep
Drives: sapphire black 335i

Garage List
2009 335i sedan  [0.00]
2005 120D  [0.00]
2007 335i sedan  [0.00]
Quote:
im about to put back in the original wires to see if the error goes away. It kinda makes sense since it was a delayed error.. Not to sure what the o2 sims do, or how they operate. Possibly resistor based, i dunno.. if they are though, it would kinda make sense.

the thing about the install into the jb3 pnp is that on the small black subconnector. the male and female ends dont match up number wise.. so its possible i did a complete bass akwards install. i think i went with the numbers from the female end.

now does anyone know what happends to the car physically when it throws a code for o2 errors if say u were running catless without the sims??? reduced power, or just a light?
Skitlz - My experience: reduced power and half yellow CEL on catless downpipes without 02 sim. When i put the BMS 02 sim back in the CEL was gone and car was fine - and remember to clear codes after installing sim.
      06-02-2009, 10:27 AM   #9
skitlz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

^^ apreciate the response. I guess the error i have now is better then reduced power, lol.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 07:58 PM   #10
skitlz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Finally got some time to go back under the hood. Removed jb3 to see if I still had the error. And yep still there. Grrr. Lol.
So anyone know the approx where abouts of this sensor I might have bumped during the install?

And Bigaltech. I was wired up right. Went with the female end numbers.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2009, 09:47 AM   #11
645Nm
only in it for the torque - awuleth'umshini wami
South Africa
Rep
Drives: sapphire black 335i

Garage List
2009 335i sedan  [0.00]
2005 120D  [0.00]
2007 335i sedan  [0.00]
Damn! I am stumped as well. Now I don't know. Really strange...let us know if you get it sorted.
      06-03-2009, 03:49 PM   #12
skitlz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by A418t81 View Post
Check your ABS sensor on the front passenger wheel and make sure you somehow didn't knock it out of alignment.
Im pretty sure A418t81 is on the right track, but i dunno where the bugger is.
I saw a black square sensor behind the tire(not sure if thats the ABS sensor) but i dont see how i would have messed that up.

Sucks that im not sure if this error was caused by me, or just happened cause of a defect. since i had a airbag sensor go bad for no reason when i only had 2k miles on the car.

wish i could take it to the dealer, but i know they would blame the DP install on the error, even if it was a freak thing and kill my warranty
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2009, 05:39 PM   #13
skitlz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

so a week and a half goes by, and my error code decided to go away when i went to lunch.. so i can control when DTC is on or off by the button again:P

so glad i dont have to go back to stock, lol.. still wierd that it just decided to work again though.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2009, 07:00 PM   #14
ar design
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 M3

Quote:
AR's pipes are nice as hell though(shameless plug)
      06-09-2009, 08:09 PM   #15
A418t81
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Ever changing fleet

Garage List
2013 335is  [0.00]
Quote:
Im pretty sure A418t81 is on the right track, but i dunno where the bugger is.
I saw a black square sensor behind the tire(not sure if thats the ABS sensor) but i dont see how i would have messed that up.

Sucks that im not sure if this error was caused by me, or just happened cause of a defect. since i had a airbag sensor go bad for no reason when i only had 2k miles on the car.

wish i could take it to the dealer, but i know they would blame the DP install on the error, even if it was a freak thing and kill my warranty
Sorry, I missed this thread. The ABS sensor is behind the brake rotor, hub assembly. It don't know exactly what it looks like on this car, but it's a hall effect sensor, it'll be up close to, but not touching a ring with many notches in it. The computer uses these sensors to detect wheel speed of each wheel to determine many things. The traction control computer, and ABS are two of the major systems that use this data.

I know the car is happy again, but a basic picture to give you an idea would be like this: