E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Scratched tint?

11-25-2010, 01:24 PM   #1
bigjilm
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 335i Sedan

Scratched tint?

I know there are folks out there that obsess over things like tint, and I'm hoping one of them can help me.

I bought a beautiful 335i from Maranello BMW, and had them tint the windows before delivery. They outsourced it to "Lazer Tint", who brag about using FormulaOne products, though I don't know if they used it on my car.

A week or so after I picked it up, I noticed a scratch in the tint - it looked like something was scratching the tint when the window went up and down. It was pretty faint, so I told my salesguy and figured I'd get it fixed with my first service. Over the next few months, that scratch got more pronounced and many more lighter ones appeared. Under most conditions, you could only see the worst of the scratches, but when the sun hit it just right, they all lit up really brightly and looked terrible. Probably 15 faint scratches and one more serious.

I took it in, and Maranello claims they disassembled the door. They didn't find anything scratching the tint, so they had Lazer Tint redo the window. Badly, it turns out, so they'll be doing it again, but I digress.

My question is... Is it possible that Lazer Tint is using a low quality film that is highly susceptible to scratching? Is it more likely that the inside of my door has something touching the window and the service tech doesn't give a damn? Should I be just getting a refund and getting it done with a higher quality, more durable film?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2010, 01:37 PM   #2
TheRox
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 6mt

I have tints too...I don't have the moleskin protector that a lot of people recommend.

I was told by Autoexpress that you don't need it in our 3 series.

So i'm not sure, but I have heard that scratched tints are an issue.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2010, 02:11 PM   #3
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

Maybe Maranello told Lazer Tint to put in their standard (non ceramic F1 pinnacle) tint onto your car.

I know Maranello charges $400 for the tint job, but that's using standard metal tint film.

I had mine done at Lazer Tint (directly) a couple of years ago. No issue at all and the job for ceramics cost $325 cash
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2010, 03:34 PM   #4
MMachines
BMW Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3, 2006 4Runner

Is it only on one window? Apparently there's a wiper in the door that causes the issue, there are many posts about it. My right rear is horrible but you can't see it 90% of the time.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2010, 05:29 PM   #5
pyceasyas123
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

i dont think the sedans have a felt lining on the rubber that the window slides on. i had this problem when i did my tints...installed a strip of felt and problem gone...
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2010, 05:58 PM   #6
DimSum
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: SLOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyceasyas123 View Post
i dont think the sedans have a felt lining on the rubber that the window slides on. i had this problem when i did my tints...installed a strip of felt and problem gone...
If you get it done properly they add a high quality felt lining.

You should see Satheeths and Ib6ub9's tints, they are excellent.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2010, 06:49 PM   #7
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 SG 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjilm View Post
My question is... Is it possible that Lazer Tint is using a low quality film that is highly susceptible to scratching? Is it more likely that the inside of my door has something touching the window and the service tech doesn't give a damn? Should I be just getting a refund and getting it done with a higher quality, more durable film?
It could be either. My anecdotal evidence is that most e90/e92s don't seem to have tint scratching issues; the ones that do tend to be the ones with lower quality films. I personally have metallic solargard film, and have no issues with scratching (and my car is, hilariously, pretty filthy all the time).
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2010, 02:30 PM   #8
bigjilm
Private First Class
Rep

I spoke to the Lazer Tint guy, and he said that there are three things inside the door that are touching the glass - two of them are covered in felt from the factory, and one of them isn't. He thinks they might have missed covering that third thing...

I'll post specifics in a bit. I'm heading in to see him, and I'll get some detail from him then.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 01:03 AM   #9
f00dstamps
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335d

Any updates?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 10:33 AM   #10
bigjilm
Private First Class
Rep

Ya - I'm a lazy git. I haven't lowered my window once since it was redone, because it's a huge p-i-t-a to get to Lazer for it to be fixed.

Thanks for reminding me, and I'll update once I see them.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 03:05 PM   #11
Funk365
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 328i Sport

Any updates on this? Having the same problem with tint done only a few months ago from a different source.
Appreciate 0