E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Buying out of province

04-21-2011, 01:04 PM   #1
rob325ci
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 128i

Buying out of province

I'm thinking of something like the ED program only buying from Alberta/BC and driving back to ontario.

It would be a fun way to experience a new car in the Rocky mountains and then drive across the prairies back to smoggy Ontario.

Does anyone know of the sales tax or licensing implications this might have.

If it was purchased in Alberta, the initial tax would be less than Ontario. I guess they would make up the difference or more when I came to get ontario plates?

Any ideas?

... Rob
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 06:58 PM   #2
w2
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

I live in Ontario. Five years ago, I bought a car in Quebec. (Being in Ottawa, this did not exactly involve a cross-country trip, just a 30 km drive across the river.) Because I was an Ontario resident and the car was to be registered in Ontario, I paid Ontario taxes and they put Ontario plates on the car. It was exactly the same as buying a car from an Ontario dealer.

I suspect the only difference would be that, unlike the Gatineau dealers who sell a lot of cars to Ontario residents and so are set up to handle that kind of transaction, an Alberta dealership wouldn't be as prepared and there would be a lot more headaches.

My suspicion is that, unless you are a resident of Alberta, you cannot get away with paying Alberta taxes (or lack thereof) on a new car: you're going to have to give Dalton his 8% one way or another.

Not that this means you *shouldn't* buy a car in Alberta and drive it back to the GTA, though I am not sure that the Trans Canada through AB, SK and MB is the ideal place to break in a new engine, since you generally want to vary your revs and speed for the first few thousand Km.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 07:05 PM   #3
rob325ci
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

My main interest was to do touring around the rockies and BC interior. That would break things in nicely I think. We did that a few years back and the roads were great.

I have also wanted to do a 'cross canada' trip from Ontario to BC. Doing it one way would be more than enough 'experience' of the prairies so the option of one way seemed appealing.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 07:11 PM   #4
w2
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

If you preferred, you could also buy in Vancouver and start from there; I don't think there would be a tax difference since you'd have to pay Ontario HST either way. In either case, I'd suggest contacting a dealership in whichever city you wanted to start from and let them know what you wanted to do, to make sure they would be able to handle the registration issues.

I remember driving from Vancouver to Whistler in my father in law's Mercedes (for some reason, he didn't want to drive down a twisty mountain road with falling rocks on one side and the ocean on the other) and feeling pretty nervous the whole time, seeing that it wasn't my car. Still, if you don't hit a lot of traffic, that's a nice route to drive a BMW on.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 05:42 AM   #5
Built My Way
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: ...when not replacing gaskets

Garage List
I'd definitely start by calling Revenue Canada 1-800-959-1953 (GST/HST credit for Individuals) They can at least point you in the right direction.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 07:50 AM   #6
rob325ci
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

'Built My Way', great idea.
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 12:01 AM   #7
hubble bubble
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

I live in AB and have bought used BMW in BC in the past.

First, you will indeed have to pay the McGuity his 8% when you register the car in Ontario - especially if you register it within 90 days of purchase. Unless you were moving from AB to ON. Although I know of people in BC who have leased cars through AB to save the PST.

Second, if you are looking for CPO then definately look in BC. There is no real winter so there are lots of nice used cars in Van. And it is the second biggest market after Toronto, so there is lots of selection. In AB they use gravel on the roads in winter so cars here tend to get lots of stone chips. Only in AB and the territories is glass coverage not included in comprehensive insurance.

Third, if you sign a form in BC (or most other provinces) that you will not register that car in that privince for 90 days the dealer doesn't have to charge you PST.

Last, the drive. The drive fron Van to Calgary is very scenic, but BC is strict about speeding. From Calgary the west shore of Lake Superior is the most boring drive ever. Flat, treeless, no turns. It feels like you could tie the steering wheel straight, set the cruise and go to sleep for 2-3 days. From Lake Superior to Toronto is about the same distance as Toronto to Miami, but also very scenic.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 07:17 AM   #8
rob325ci
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

hubble bubble, thanks for the AB/BC tips!
Appreciate 0