E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Cost to Fix Leaking Seal

08-24-2011, 02:43 PM   #1
gshetty
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Cost to Fix Leaking Seal

I am just out of Warranty and my stealor found the following issues with my car.
Have a 2006 BMW 325 I sedan

Replace housing seal (Found oil filter housing leaking) x
Replace extension housing seal (Found automatic
transmission fluid leak) x
Replace thrust arm (Found left front trust arm
bent/damaged)

Not going to them to fix it thru them, they charging me a fortune.
Does anyone have any idea how much would each issue cost if i were to do it from an outside mechanic.

I am not a great DIY guy, hence that is not an option
Trying to save some money in the tough economy
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2011, 04:14 PM   #2
Glim
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i & 2013 X5 35i

I will start this off...

What did you run into on the drivers side?

The good news: you do not have to do anything and your car will still run, it will however leave puddles on your drive and wobble around the road.

You should:

Do an oil change, the new oil filter comes with the gasket for the filter housing. Or just buy an oil filter and replace the gasket, read this thread:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=575295

The control arms should be replaced in pairs, read here, one of my posts includes a video:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=574880

Parts:

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...layCatalogid=0

Last edited by Glim; 08-24-2011 at 06:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 09:08 AM   #3
gshetty
Rep

Thanks Glim for the detailed response.
Appreciate the effort.
@ running into on the Drivers Side. My wife drives the car too. So take a guess.
I just did an Oil Change and replaced my brakes.
Upon my which dealer found these issues with my car.
He said something about replacing The Rear Main Seal.

He said both the leaks(Oil and Transmission) are in the early stages, so will wait for some time to fix them.

Will try and fix the Thrust Arm Bushing.
Anyways an Alignment was long due and also have to replace my wheels and tires.
Have a crack in one wheel and another bent one.

Find attached report provided by the dealer
Attached Images
File Type: pdf sharp@qssinc.net_20110818_164809.pdf (587.1 KB, 545 views)
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 10:57 AM   #4
Glim
Captain
Canada
Rep

I hear you loud and clear

If your wife still drives the BMW I wouldn't get new rims until it isn't 'our' car any more, you are setting yourself up for disappointment. Bang, scrape, rub..

Get her a car she likes, personalize a 'her's' license plate for it, give her the parking spot closer to the door, keep it clean and shiny, anything you can do before you get 'your' car back in order.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 12:41 PM   #5
gshetty
Rep

Hahaha
That is some sound piece of advice
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 02:15 PM   #6
iflyjetzzz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

I assume that since it says Russell BMW that you are in/around Baltimore. Find a reputable independent shop to fix the items. There should be plenty of both good and bad indy shops in the area.

Oil leak is not due to a bad O-Ring around the cap. It's due to the gasket which attaches the filter housing to the engine. Shouldn't be too expensive at an indy.

Transmission leak - have the indy look at it. I'd have him change the gasket which will also result in draining most of the transmission fluid. Again, go indy. I'm pretty sure that the car has a ZR transmission. If so, have the indy use Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle Trans Fluid, as recommended by Chriztofor here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367729
Much cheaper than the dealer ATF and just as good as it meets Shell M1375.4 specs.
If you've got a GM transmission, have him change the gasket and put in Dexron VI. Any Dexron VI will do; the manufacturing specs on it is very tight. I used Walmart brand here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=573490

As for the rest, in order:
Buy new rims. Consider buying used matching rims from someone who is putting new rims on their car. Just make sure they're not bent. Do this prior to wheel alignment.
Get 4 non-runflat tires and throw out the two bad rims when you get the new tires. I recommend shopping around for a good all season radial. Something like the Continental Extreme Contact DWS; $106 on TireRack.com. I have the Extreme Contact DW (summer) tires but I live in Tucson. Love 'em.
Get the control arms replaced when you get an alignment.

In priority order, I'd have things done (should money be an issue):
Rims/Tires/Control Arms/Alignment - all done at the same time.
Transmission leak
Oil leak

Just going with Castrol ATF, newsed (new used) rims, and non-runflats will save you big bucks off of the dealer's estimate.
Just my two centavos which are worth a lot less after QE1 and QE2.
Good luck to ya.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 04:04 PM   #7
gshetty
Rep

@ iflyjetzzz
That was some detailed information
It was definitely more than 2 cents. Thanks a ton for all the information.
And you are absolutely right about the oil leak.
Loved the way you prioritized the issues for me.
I am getting the Bridgestone Potenza Re960 AS PP from Costco.
All inclusive with coupons is $600
Still looking for decent cheap rims on Craigslist.
Not sure how to identify bent rims
Still looking for a decent Indy BMW mechanic in my area

Asked people in the Mid Atlantic Section .. No recommendations yet.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 05:34 PM   #8
Glim
Captain
Canada
Rep

Sorry! I was thinking of the oil filter cap's O ring, previous post had a cross threaded o ring.

Looked at the housing this afternoon, looks like three bolts holding that housing on.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 05:59 PM   #9
queensfield
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i E90

For rims, check out (I have nothing to do with the posting below- was looking for something else, when I came across it and remembered your posting)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/17-Ri...item3a696d5f3c
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 11:34 PM   #10
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

If it is just out of warranty ask bmwna for a "good will" repair(s). Doesn't hurt to ask.
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 02:04 AM   #11
iflyjetzzz
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gshetty View Post
@ iflyjetzzz
That was some detailed information
It was definitely more than 2 cents. Thanks a ton for all the information.
And you are absolutely right about the oil leak.
Loved the way you prioritized the issues for me.
I am getting the Bridgestone Potenza Re960 AS PP from Costco.
All inclusive with coupons is $600
Still looking for decent cheap rims on Craigslist.
Not sure how to identify bent rims
Still looking for a decent Indy BMW mechanic in my area

Asked people in the Mid Atlantic Section .. No recommendations yet.

Thanks
My wife and I like nice things but we're also cheapskates. Part of that balancing act means getting the most for your money. Sure, you could just leave your car with the dealership and have everything done but I'll bet you get everything done for no more than 1/3 the quoted cost.

That's a great deal on the Potenza tires; good choice in a high perf all season tire. If you've got RFT right now, you'll notice a BIG difference in smoother feel and quieter drive.

Rims. The rims Queensfield linked to are a good deal but note that they are 17". That would match your current rims if you have the sport package but if you have the base package, you've got 16" rims. If you decide that you want to go with aftermarket rims, this would be a good time to do that.
This may be your exact rim if you've got a base sedan (you'd just need to add center cap from the old rims): http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/16-16...item3cb623819c
Don't forget salvage/junkyards along with Craigslist and ebay. And I wouldn't limit myself to locally.
This may be a thing that it'd be better to ask a good independent mechanic to locate for you. Just tell them you're looking for a cheap solution. My daughter's mechanic found an inexpensive hubcap for her VW recently through a junkyard.
I don't know the best way to determine whether or not a rim's bent so you may want to look on the internet for advice on that.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 11:11 AM   #12
gshetty
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriztofor View Post
If it is just out of warranty ask bmwna for a "good will" repair(s). Doesn't hurt to ask.
Thanks Chriztofor .. I tried that did not work
The water pump gave up on me @ 98 k miles and my vehicle report then did show that my breaks were due in 3k miles. I requested the dealer if he could fix my brakes then. He just refused and gave some company policy crap.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 11:14 AM   #13
gshetty
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glim View Post
Sorry! I was thinking of the oil filter cap's O ring, previous post had a cross threaded o ring.

Looked at the housing this afternoon, looks like three bolts holding that housing on.
No worries Glim
You have been of great help with ur earlier post
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 11:17 AM   #14
gshetty
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by queensfield View Post
For rims, check out (I have nothing to do with the posting below- was looking for something else, when I came across it and remembered your posting)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/17-Ri...item3a696d5f3c

Thanks mate they really look good for the price.
Am really tempted to go ahead with it
But I have a base sedan .. I am not sure if i can replace my 16 with these 17 inch wheels
If i can what would be the tire size i should be going for ?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 12:01 PM   #15
gshetty
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iflyjetzzz View Post
My wife and I like nice things but we're also cheapskates. Part of that balancing act means getting the most for your money. Sure, you could just leave your car with the dealership and have everything done but I'll bet you get everything done for no more than 1/3 the quoted cost.

That's a great deal on the Potenza tires; good choice in a high perf all season tire. If you've got RFT right now, you'll notice a BIG difference in smoother feel and quieter drive.

Rims. The rims Queensfield linked to are a good deal but note that they are 17". That would match your current rims if you have the sport package but if you have the base package, you've got 16" rims. If you decide that you want to go with aftermarket rims, this would be a good time to do that.
This may be your exact rim if you've got a base sedan (you'd just need to add center cap from the old rims): http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/16-16...item3cb623819c
Don't forget salvage/junkyards along with Craigslist and ebay. And I wouldn't limit myself to locally.
This may be a thing that it'd be better to ask a good independent mechanic to locate for you. Just tell them you're looking for a cheap solution. My daughter's mechanic found an inexpensive hubcap for her VW recently through a junkyard.
I don't know the best way to determine whether or not a rim's bent so you may want to look on the internet for advice on that.

True that on being Cheap Skates
Not able to find a good Indy Mech near my area.
But will definitely look into the junk yard option.
I have a base sedan ..
Is there any way of getting those 17 inch rims on my car.
Its too good for the price. But If i do that I don't know what would be the tire size i need to go for.

Would 225/45R17 be the right size ?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 12:03 PM   #16
queensfield
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i E90

Hmmm. Sorry, I won't be able to give you a good advice on it, I mostly know my electrical stuff and some fluid drain and fill stuff. There is a wheel and tire section in this forum. I saw a bunch of good info there. Please post your query in that section.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 01:13 PM   #17
iflyjetzzz
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gshetty View Post
Not able to find a good Indy Mech near my area.
But will definitely look into the junk yard option.
I have a base sedan ..
Is there any way of getting those 17 inch rims on my car.
Its too good for the price. But If i do that I don't know what would be the tire size i need to go for.

Would 225/45R17 be the right size ?
Ah, you're still having problems working the google on the internet machine. (paraphrasing Chazz on Blades of Glory)

Here's from my quick search:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=209132
http://www.baltimore-bimmer.com/customer-feedback/
http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc..._loc=baltimore

Out of those 3 links, you should have several good choices. Investigate the ones from the first link, as it's a bit older and you should be able to find other comments about the mechanics on the internet.

As far as the 17 inch rims, yes you can make them work. Easily? I don't know. I'm not into tires/rims; I just stick with stock rims. Did my rim link not look like your current rims?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 02:26 PM   #18
gshetty
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iflyjetzzz View Post
Ah, you're still having problems working the google on the internet machine. (paraphrasing Chazz on Blades of Glory)

Here's from my quick search:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=209132
http://www.baltimore-bimmer.com/customer-feedback/
http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc..._loc=baltimore

Out of those 3 links, you should have several good choices. Investigate the ones from the first link, as it's a bit older and you should be able to find other comments about the mechanics on the internet.

As far as the 17 inch rims, yes you can make them work. Easily? I don't know. I'm not into tires/rims; I just stick with stock rims. Did my rim link not look like your current rims?
WOW
considering the fact that I work in the technology industry .. SHame on me
I think I have all the information I needed ... The first link itself has some good indy mechanics recommended ..
Yes the rims look exactly like the ones I have .. But thought if i am changing my RIMS might as well give my car a new look ..

Thanks much guys .. E90 Post rocks.
Gotta love the times we live in .. So much information FREEEEEEEE
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 10:18 AM   #19
Glim
Captain
Canada
Rep

You may also like http://www.tirerack.com/ as you can see the rims on your car before you purchase.

I bet you can find decent OEM 18" rims and tires for sale through your local kiji or used sites. You can go up to 19" on a 2006 325.
Appreciate 0