E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > New boots - happy with Eagle F1 Asym 2's

05-17-2012, 04:00 PM   #1
ALF_E90
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330i - see classifieds...

New boots - happy with Eagle F1 Asym 2's

I had some serious aquaplaning when the dry spell in March ended, I had about 2.5mm front and 3mm+ rear and the car was not as I wanted it in heavy rain. One benefit of all-square 17" non RFT is cheap replacement so I moved early and got four new Eagle F1 Assymetric 2's. I chose them as they were one of the top 3 tyres in the recent Evo test (these 3 were incredibly close) and rated well for comfort and economy (I do a lot of miles) and steering feel (not something E90's with the electric steering have an over-abundance of).

I have done a couple of thousand miles on them since and am really happy. Refinement is indeed good, they have a nice meaty feel, and (as you would expect) performance in standing water is startlingly better. In all damp or wet conditions the grip is superb - much better than anything I have had on the car, the traction is amazingly good even on a 330 with the "all square" setuo (i.e 225 front and rear).

Dry running on really demanding roads has been limited (I chose a good time for new tyres - it has barely stopped raining!) and I need some more time on the rare occasions the road and road conditions allow me to press beyond the limit in the dry, but the initial feel is of much more front end grip and a very neutral feel - it almost feels like the rear will budge first even without heavy provocation from trail braking or aggressive throttle.

MPG has been the same as before and the same as the winters. I am on 34.8 for the month (yes I drive like a jessie on long runs - cruise set to 75, sometimes 80, and don't use this car for short trips or much urban work) which is much the same as before. I have never noticed much difference between tyres on this front.

Overall, very happy, with the proviso I need more "investigation" in the dry for really lairy stuff to see what happens beyond the limit for more than the little dabs of oppo I have had so far... In the wet, which I have had a lot more experience of, they are the best (road legal) tyres I have ever used.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 04:10 PM   #2
YvesD
Lamininist
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Carbon Black X5M

Sounds good.

Are they quiet though?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 04:41 PM   #3
mistryn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

A good review for these tyres and I was going to go for these as HiQ had a sale on these but did not not have any of the 255/35/18 in the sale. But from what I read these are up there in terms of super grippy in both dry and wet

Just out of interest what brand you have before?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 04:43 PM   #4
Ryan87
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 325D M Sport

Nice to hear they are living up to the reviews,

We've just ordered a set for the other halfs Astra and am looking forward to replacing the Marangoni ditchfinders it currently sports!
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2012, 02:29 PM   #5
ALF_E90
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330i - see classifieds...

In similar sizes and weight/performance of car I have mostly used Conti SC3 and SC2, and Pirelli P Zero Rosso, with a bit of Michelin Pilot Sport 2 as well.

To be honest I got on with all of the above pretty well - but the Eagle F1 Asym 2 does feel like a combination of the best bits of all of them.

Refinement is certainly strong, yes, which is one area where cheap tyres tend to be awful (the other being wet grip).

I came very close to getting another set of CSC3's but thought I would try the Goodyears to see if the slightly light steering feel I had with the Contis would be improved upon. On my last car I was suprised how quickly the CSC3's wore too, though on this one wear rates seem lower/ Too early so say on the latter front, but I like the feel of these tyres - which is always a personal thing.

In my (smaller than typical on here) sizes, if sticking with full premium tyres (which seems a no brainer at barely more than £100 a corner), CSC3's and Eagle F1 Assym 2's seem to be the obvious choices. Plenty of stock at decent prices and both are very well reviewed.
Appreciate 0