E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Thunder Hill on Monday - just four of us. Stoked!!!

12-26-2013, 07:39 PM   #1
stashtrey
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335xi TiAg

Garage List
Thunder Hill on Monday - just four of us. Stoked!!!

Got in on a special to go up to Thunder Hill in Northern CA on Monday. $250 each for four cars. Just us four on the track. Can't wait! This will be my second time on a track... first was Sonoma for a Hooked on Driving event.

Since that first time out I've upgraded with Alpina flash, paddles, sport wheel, sport seat and I just picked up a sweet Sony Action Cam that includes GPS data overlaid on the video.

Can't wait to get out and drive. Will share some video and feedback.

Anyone driven Thunder Hill?
      01-09-2014, 05:45 PM   #2
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Yes I've driven Thunder Hill. Super fun! It's nice because there're aren't too many barriers to hit. My best time there is 2:12 and change running the cyclone. The bypass is kinda shady though. My car could probably do it flat but it catches air... Around a turn lol. I've got lots of video but I've never posted any of Thunder Hill.
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2014, 06:27 PM   #3
macmacaman
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, E84 X1

I've done it several times, both cyclone and bypass. I prefer the bypass, although as e90pilot pointed out, you can spin out there. Actually where most people spin is the off-camber turn 3. It sneaks up on you because it looks relatively slow speed, but I have seen lots of people spin out in their first session when they don't appreciate the off-camber nature of the turn. You'll be fine if you build up your speed gradually.

It is a really fun track. Half of the track favors cars with high horsepower with several straights, and the other half with lots of turns rewards cars that handle well. Compared to Sonoma, I think you'll find yourself feeling a lot more comfortable given how few walls there are at Thunderhill. I am jealous that you can go out there all day long with just 3 other cars on track!
Appreciate 0