E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > E90 330i Manual Transmission Fluid Change Question

03-11-2013, 09:48 AM   #1
shata
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT-ZPP/ZSP/ZCW

E90 330i Manual Transmission Fluid Change Question

I been doing some research and from what I see there is no Filter in our manual trannys. Am I correct or missing something?

REF: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.d...23&hg=23&fg=15
      03-12-2013, 11:20 PM   #2
Brian_TII
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 e90 330i 6spd

I've never seen a manual transmission with a filter. The 330 6spd doesn't have one. Just drain and refill. It's pretty easy, just make sure you have a pump to refill it and I always recommend removing the top fill plug before the drain plug :-)
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 04:06 PM   #3
shata
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT-ZPP/ZSP/ZCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_TII View Post
I've never seen a manual transmission with a filter. The 330 6spd doesn't have one. Just drain and refill. It's pretty easy, just make sure you have a pump to refill it and I always recommend removing the top fill plug before the drain plug :-)
Thanks for that info you happen to know the fill amount for manual tranny? Is it 6qts?

Im thinking about using Motul Fluid 75w90 fluid for tranny and diff.
      03-13-2013, 09:11 PM   #4
Brian_TII
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 e90 330i 6spd

It's no where near 6 quarts for a manual transmission. I believe it's about 1.4 quarts. Buy 2 quarts, it's more than enough. Also I don't think you want to use anything anywhere near that thick in this tranny. Most people are using either the factory fill which is either MTF-LT 3 or MTF-LT 2 (read the sticker on the side of the transmission to find out for sure which you should use). If you choose to go with a non-approved / after market fluid most are using Redline D4 (for the cars with the MTF-LT2 sticker) or Redline D6 (for the cars with the MTF-LT 3 sticker), or Royal Purple Syncromesh (I think). Personally I'm not a fan of Royal Purple and went with Redline in mine, but if I had to do it again I'd probably just stick with the OEM oil. Redline was just easier for me to get on the timeframe I had to work with.
Appreciate 0