E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Good Overall iPod Solution

12-19-2006, 02:06 PM   #89
parkpo31
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 Jet Black 335i Coupe

Is the iJet the only iPod remote that has an LCD? I really like that feature especially if you have the ipod concealed in the arm rest.

The arm rest also seems like a better solution that the glove box as isn't the arm rest climate controled and the glove box isn't?

The one question I have about the remote is, how does it handle "Shuffle/Random"? I don't think the ijet remote allows you to put the ipod into shuffle mode but if you manually put the ipod into shuffle mode then how does the ijet remote respond? Does it allow you to advance to the next random track or does it kick you out of shuffle mode altogether?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2006, 08:59 PM   #90
rlc
Captain
Rep
Drives: '06 E90 - '04 E85 - '16 F15d

Garage List
2016 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.5i Roadster  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkpo31
Is the iJet the only iPod remote that has an LCD? I really like that feature especially if you have the ipod concealed in the arm rest.

The arm rest also seems like a better solution that the glove box as isn't the arm rest climate controled and the glove box isn't?

The one question I have about the remote is, how does it handle "Shuffle/Random"? I don't think the ijet remote allows you to put the ipod into shuffle mode but if you manually put the ipod into shuffle mode then how does the ijet remote respond? Does it allow you to advance to the next random track or does it kick you out of shuffle mode altogether?

Thanks!
Onece you have set Shuffle Mode on the iPod you just use the remote to select Next or Previous Track. NEXT will give you the next random track and the track info will display on the remote.
      12-19-2006, 09:51 PM   #91
parkpo31
Enlisted Member
Rep

Moster iJet Vs BMW Ipod Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlc
Onece you have set Shuffle Mode on the iPod you just use the remote to select Next or Previous Track. NEXT will give you the next random track and the track info will display on the remote.

Thats cool that the ijet remote works with shuffle mode as I think that is yet another advantage over the integrated BMW ipod solution. My understanding of the approx. $500 integrated BMW ipod solution is that if you select shuffle mode and then hit "next", you will not get the next random track but just get the next song on that particular playlist/album.

The low profile monster charger cable and ijet remote solution is sounding more and more attractive. If I am understanding correctly, the "monster ijet" solution has the following pros and cons in relation to the BMW solution:

Monster iJet Pros:
Approximately 1/4th the price of the BMW solution
Allows you to keep the ipod in the easier accessible climate controlled arm rest as opposed to the glove box.
Allows for true random/shuffle play as discussed above
Allows for unlimited playlists, artist and tracks?
Uses radios Aux mode rather than using CD mode?
Can see artist and track information on the remote which is mobile so anyone in the car can easily take the remote and pick a track they want to hear.
Do not have to take the car into the dealer for installation, have them keep your car (for hours or even days) and have them monkey with your dash and radio.

Monster iJet Cons:
You can not see artist and track information on the radio/idrive screen
You can not control the ipod via the steering wheel controls
You've got another device (the remote) laying around in the car

Does the iJet remote also allow for unlimited playlists and playlist sizes? I think the BMW solution restricts the size and number of playlists you can have.

Also, how fast and easy is it to locate a specific tracks with the iJet remote? I heard that it can take a while to scroll through songs on the BMW solution. However I also read on the iJet site that it can take up to 60 seconds for the remote to load all of the artists and/or playlists into the remote. Does this load process take place every time you turn on the car?

If anyone else has thought of any other pro's/cons to the two solutions or has any other insights to these two solutions, please share.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2006, 10:37 PM   #92
rlc
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Thats cool that the ijet remote works with shuffle mode as I think that is yet another advantage over the integrated BMW ipod solution. My understanding of the approx. $500 integrated BMW ipod solution is that if you select shuffle mode and then hit "next", you will not get the next random track but just get the next song on that particular playlist/album.

The low profile monster charger cable and ijet remote solution is sounding more and more attractive. If I am understanding correctly, the "monster ijet" solution has the following pros and cons in relation to the BMW solution:

Monster iJet Pros:
Approximately 1/4th the price of the BMW solution
Allows you to keep the ipod in the easier accessible climate controlled arm rest as opposed to the glove box.
Allows for true random/shuffle play as discussed above
Allows for unlimited playlists, artist and tracks?
Uses radios Aux mode rather than using CD mode?
Can see artist and track information on the remote which is mobile so anyone in the car can easily take the remote and pick a track they want to hear.
Do not have to take the car into the dealer for installation, have them keep your car (for hours or even days) and have them monkey with your dash and radio.

Monster iJet Cons:
You can not see artist and track information on the radio/idrive screen
You can not control the ipod via the steering wheel controls
You've got another device (the remote) laying around in the car

Does the iJet remote also allow for unlimited playlists and playlist sizes? I think the BMW solution restricts the size and number of playlists you can have.

Also, how fast and easy is it to locate a specific tracks with the iJet remote? I heard that it can take a while to scroll through songs on the BMW solution. However I also read on the iJet site that it can take up to 60 seconds for the remote to load all of the artists and/or playlists into the remote. Does this load process take place every time you turn on the car?

If anyone else has thought of any other pro's/cons to the two solutions or has any other insights to these two solutions, please share.

Thanks!
You are correct about using iPod adapter's Random function. Hitting NEXT Track gives the next sequential track. If you do nothing more, the following track is randomly selected. BTW, this behavior is not the iPod adapter's fault - it is the way the Stereo is set up to operate. If you are playing a CD in random mode and select NEXT the same thing will happen. In fact most of the annoyances of the iPod adapter are really the result of the way the Stereo UI is designed (display limitations, not retaining settings on shutdown, slow response reading data, etc.) and cannot be blamed on the iPod adapter.

Playlist limits of the iPod are not affected by the iJet remote. The iJet 2-way remote simply gives you track forward and back and volume, plus the ability to view songs, artists, and playlists. If you run the output through your AUX port you only have volume control on steering wheel.

In your list of iJet Pros there is one error: iPod MOST adapter uses the CD CHANGER input - NOT the CD input. You still have the ability to play CDs and MP3 CDs. You cannot have both a CD Changer and the iPod adapter installed at the same time.

While I agree that the integrated iPod solution is not perfect, after using it for a few months the conveniences far outweigh the annoyances. After you get the playlists set up it really works just fine. With the limits of the Stereo unit (see above) I don't think you would want more than 500 tracks in a playlist anyway.

The iJet/Monster setup works great and will sound good. Your point of being able to hand the remote to anyone in the car and let them control music is the best adavantage - other than cost, of course. OTOH, I think the integrated system is worth the money for convenience, driver controllability, and lack of clutter. I like having both my iPod & XM all set up and still having the center console power plug available for a phone charger or my wife's DVD player (which BTW sounds awesome over the Logic7 Cinema Surround).
      12-20-2006, 05:24 AM   #93
parkpo31
Enlisted Member
Rep

Great feedback rlc! As I have not actually been able to play with either solution yet it's good to get the inside scoop.

Do you know if the iJet remote allows you to hold down the "next" button and scroll quickly through artist/playlist/track? I guess what I am trying to detrmine is which solution provides the easiest and fastest way to locate a particular song from a large database of music?

Thanks for your insights!
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2006, 10:34 AM   #94
rlc
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Great feedback rlc! As I have not actually been able to play with either solution yet it's good to get the inside scoop.

Do you know if the iJet remote allows you to hold down the "next" button and scroll quickly through artist/playlist/track? I guess what I am trying to detrmine is which solution provides the easiest and fastest way to locate a particular song from a large database of music?

Thanks for your insights!
I only have the basic remote that I used with my iPod Mini. During playback if you hold down the NEXT or BACK key it will scan through the track. If the iPod is PAUSED and you hold the keys down it still scans through the current track. With my remote it doesn't scan through the lists or artists - you couldn't see it anyway if the iPod is stashed away.

I'm sure if you have the 2-way remote with display there is a way to scan through the track/artist/playlist. You should give ABTech a call at 888-869-4737 or info@abtech2.com - Pacific Time business hours. The guy who usually answers the phone is very helpful and knows all there is to know about their products.
      12-20-2006, 10:46 AM   #95
ddtully@
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335is Titanium Silver

Monster AI REMOTE iEZClick Remote Control

Has anyone purchased the Monster AI REMOTE iEZClick Remote Control for iPod ?

This looks like the best non-MOST solution yet. Don't know about battery drain on the iPod, but if you have a charger, it looks easy enough to swap out for a quick charge.

Ideal location for the remote would be the bottom of the steering wheel using the wrist strap. I'll let you all know how well it works out.

What is great about this is it looks like a quality product and it allows you to select playlists.

Pricing ranges from $59.00 up to $79.00
Attached Images

2011 335is Coupe 7AT, Titanium Silver, Grey - taking delivery 9/2/11
Past vehicles include:
2009 Z4 S drive 30, Space Grey, Black
2007 335i Coupe 6MT, Space Grey, Coral Red
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2006, 11:32 AM   #96
parkpo31
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for the iJet contact info.

I called and talk to one of the ijet tech guys and as you mentioned he was very friendly and knowledgable. He mentioned that in about 3 months they are hoping to release v2.0 of the remote with an updated design ("almost cell-phone like") and chip set. The new version displays 4 lines of text instead of 2, has a rechargable battery and docking system and many expanded features. So that may be something to consider for anyone who may be thinking of going the IJet remote route. The only word of caution on the new remote is that it sounds like right now it is mainly being designed for home use (hence the docking system) so it may or may not have the pass thru for the monster charger cable.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2006, 12:58 PM   #97
muzeon
Private
Rep
Drives: '09 e90 M3,'71Fiat500,'64 356

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddtully@
Has anyone purchased the Monster AI REMOTE iEZClick Remote Control for iPod ?

This looks like the best non-MOST solution yet. Don't know about battery drain on the iPod, but if you have a charger, it looks easy enough to swap out for a quick charge.

Ideal location for the remote would be the bottom of the steering wheel using the wrist strap. I'll let you all know how well it works out.

What is great about this is it looks like a quality product and it allows you to select playlists.

Pricing ranges from $59.00 up to $79.00

I bought this at the Apple Store and used it on my new iPod. Already comes with a velcro strap, works great! However, this iEZClick's dock connector has no pass through, so I can't use it with my Monster low profile charger. I tried to live with switching in between the 2, but it's frustrating, cos there must be a product out there that can do both. Plus the remote eats up alot of battery power... in 2 days' time the battery is low.

However, thanks to rlc, I just bought the iJet remote, and they just shipped it yesterday. It has a pass through, so I can use it with my Monster charger! Plus the iJet (non-LCD kind) is cheaper than the iEZClick.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2006, 04:16 PM   #98
sobek305
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzeon
I bought this at the Apple Store and used it on my new iPod. Already comes with a velcro strap, works great! However, this iEZClick's dock connector has no pass through, so I can't use it with my Monster low profile charger. I tried to live with switching in between the 2, but it's frustrating, cos there must be a product out there that can do both. Plus the remote eats up alot of battery power... in 2 days' time the battery is low.

However, thanks to rlc, I just bought the iJet remote, and they just shipped it yesterday. It has a pass through, so I can use it with my Monster charger! Plus the iJet (non-LCD kind) is cheaper than the iEZClick.
let us know how it works out please...I heard battery life is not the greatest, but would love your opinion..thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2006, 08:47 PM   #99
muzeon
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobek305
let us know how it works out please...I heard battery life is not the greatest, but would love your opinion..thanks

So I just received the iJet in the mail, and the good news is I just picked up my car from the bodyshop (been there 2.5 weeks)!!!

The iJet, Monster charger, and my new gen iPod works good so far in my 335i. I'll try it longer... as for battery life, hard to tell, has I'm having the charger plugged in all the time. Sounds the same to me so far...

...The iJet comes with belt clips (not that I need it), but it'll be good to clip the remote to a velcro strap, so I can strap it on the hand brake... Anyone any idea on where I can buy a long velcro strap?

I'll give further updates after I've tested this for a couple more days.

Meanwhile Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas!
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2006, 08:49 PM   #100
muzeon
Private
Rep

oh, one mroe thing, the iJet works great in shuffle mode, and I can also hold down the forward (or rewind) button to scan through a song.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2006, 09:52 PM   #101
parkpo31
Enlisted Member
Rep

iJet Remote

Quote:
oh, one mroe thing, the iJet works great in shuffle mode, and I can also hold down the forward (or rewind) button to scan through a song.

Thanks for the update and look forward to hearing more once you've had an opportunity to spent more time with the ijet/monster set up.

Did you get the iJet remote with the LCD? What is your opinion of how fast it lets you scroll through a list of songs?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2006, 10:14 PM   #102
sobek305
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So I just received the iJet in the mail, and the good news is I just picked up my car from the bodyshop (been there 2.5 weeks)!!!

The iJet, Monster charger, and my new gen iPod works good so far in my 335i. I'll try it longer... as for battery life, hard to tell, has I'm having the charger plugged in all the time. Sounds the same to me so far...

...The iJet comes with belt clips (not that I need it), but it'll be good to clip the remote to a velcro strap, so I can strap it on the hand brake... Anyone any idea on where I can buy a long velcro strap?

I'll give further updates after I've tested this for a couple more days.

Meanwhile Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas!

come on dude, what kind if poster are you!!! lets see that sucker
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2006, 08:59 AM   #103
335i
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan

Long Monster Cable

I have been reading this thread with great interest - my dealer quoted nearly $600 to install the BMW ipod "solution". Can you say "ridiculous"?

I just ordered the low profile Monster cable (which at 6 to 10 feet really lives up to it's name) and it occured to me that it should be a simple task to cut the coil section out of the middle to reduce clutter in the console. Since this is just a power cord there should only be two wires to splice back together and then shrink-tube them for that professional look.

Any thoughts on this mod?

I will be ordering an iJet solution soon, just haven't decided which one.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2006, 09:04 AM   #104
Brunotheboxer
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335i
I have been reading this thread with great interest - my dealer quoted nearly $600 to install the BMW ipod "solution". Can you say "ridiculous"?

I just ordered the low profile Monster cable (which at 6 to 10 feet really lives up to it's name) and it occured to me that it should be a simple task to cut the coil section out of the middle to reduce clutter in the console. Since this is just a power cord there should only be two wires to splice back together and then shrink-tube them for that professional look.

Any thoughts on this mod?

I will be ordering an iJet solution soon, just haven't decided which one.
personally i wouldn't cut the coil. its really not that cluttered in the console with the coil as is. if you want i will take a picture of my setup.

"...I maybe drunk, but you're ugly, and I can sober up..."
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2006, 12:39 AM   #105
muzeon
Private
Rep

Here's my opinion after a quick 3 day weekend with the iJet/Monster setup. OK, when I first got the iJet, I used it in the car and while driving, I put the remote in the ashtray (see pic), everything worked perfect. On Saturday, I bought a velcro strap and strapped the remote on the hand brake.

Starting using the remote on the hand brake... it did not work... Tried numerous times throught out the day... no luck, no matter how I put the iPod in the arm rest, and tried removing the Monster charger, so that the iPod is onyl hooked up to the iJet... no avail. Thought I must have gotten a bumped iJet.

Sunday, I took the remote off the velcro strap/handbrake, and clicked it further from the armest where the iPod is... and it worked!!! Found out there were 'dead zones' for the remote, and the closer I get to the arm rest, the higher the chance of the iJet not responding to the remote... sounds crazy, I know, I'm gonna call the store tomorrow to see if I can get a replacement. For now I'm leaving the remote in the ashtray, and pick it up to change tracks, play/pause.

I did not have such problems with the Monster iEZClick. So, I might have still gotten a faulty iJet... afterall my luck with my new car hasn't been cakewalk so far... returned my Nokia N73 cell phone for a Sony K800i, someone side swiped my car at a parking lot after 2 weeks of delivery... now this...

sobek305, why post photos until I'm certain the setup works?! Or kinda not, in this instance...

After all this and it still doesn't work, I'm gonna give up and pay the $550 for the iPod MOST... but the car is only a lease! Oh well...

And if anyone has a similar setup with the iJet/Monster, and it works great, please pass on any tip/info! Thanks.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-26-2006, 01:59 AM   #106
sobek305
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Starting using the remote on the hand brake... it did not work... Tried numerous times throught out the day... no luck, no matter how I put the iPod in the arm rest

-I use the griffin airclick and it works perfect on the hand break, it also comes with a clip and velcro already... it looks a lot smaller that the ijet too. you should look into it if you want to stick without an lcd, it only comes in white but you can find one on ebay for $16 shipped!

Quote:
sobek305, why post photos until I'm certain the setup works?! Or kinda not, in this instance...
- I thought you bought the two way one with the lcd, thats the want I want to see, but thanks for the pics!
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2006, 01:11 PM   #107
muzeon
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobek305
-I use the griffin airclick and it works perfect on the hand break, it also comes with a clip and velcro already... it looks a lot smaller that the ijet too. you should look into it if you want to stick without an lcd, it only comes in white but you can find one on ebay for $16 shipped!

Thanks, I looked into the griffin airclick, but it uses the 9-pin, round/gold plug by the headphones... right? My new video iPod doesn't come with the 9-pin plug (Apple stopped doing that with the new ones)... my iPod only has the 30-pin dock at the bottom... unless there is an airclick that is dock connected, with a passthrough that I can use the Monster charger in conjunction... If so, I'd be very interested to look into that.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2006, 01:17 PM   #108
ironic
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 335i

FYI guys, ebay is the place to order the monster cable and airclick, my total came out to be under $20 for everything

Widebody 335i Project Car BUILD | PHOTOSHOOT
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2006, 02:33 PM   #109
sobek305
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, I looked into the griffin airclick, but it uses the 9-pin, round/gold plug by the headphones... right? My new video iPod doesn't come with the 9-pin plug (Apple stopped doing that with the new ones)... my iPod only has the 30-pin dock at the bottom... unless there is an airclick that is dock connected, with a passthrough that I can use the Monster charger in conjunction... If so, I'd be very interested to look into that.
your right, you should look into the ijet two way with the lcd
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2006, 06:16 PM   #110
eptbimmer
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

abtech2.com problems

I am trying to purchase the ijet lcd remote and I am not able to get onto their website?
Appreciate 0