E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > CIC Issues

09-02-2016, 06:41 AM   #1
ramez75
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 640i xDrive GC (F06)

CIC Issues

Hi,

I have a 2009 (e92), I have the NAV, satellite radio all factory options (I have TCU and MULF-HI). I noticed a couple of issues and I don't seem to pin point what need to be fixed. Also don't know if they are related.
One day driving to work my radio just went silent or froze or the volume went our for few seconds, well I thought it was the radio but it was everything the NAV, phone etc. Its random and keep happening. Its not like it is a one time thing. When I start my car my CIC boots normal and with no delay and issue happens later on could be 5 min later or 1 min or 20min.
So did some research and read that the TCU might have been bad. So I bit the bullet and retrofitted to a Combox Telematics to realize that I still have the issue which means my TCU and MULF-HI were good.
Like I said everything is working well its just CIC freezes randomly for like 10 to 15 sec and come back for like maybe 10min or 15min then freezes and the loop repeats.
So what is wrong someone suggested maybe its the HDD but I don't want to keep replacing un-necessary things. Could it be a pinched wire or something

Also the Satellite radio doesn't show the Preview Channel 184. I used to have that, is that because I retrofitted the combox and my friend who coded the car need to add Satellite radio which was there in the first place before the Combox retrofit or do I have an issue with the hardware

Anyone had such issues.....hope the description of the issue is clear

Any help on this is greatly appreciated

RB
      09-02-2016, 02:52 PM   #2
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 N52

Seems your Satelite Radio Module Has failed or is on its way out. You may need to disconnect the power and MOST Cables from the unit. Then get a jumper for the most connection to close the MOST Loop. (MOST Jumper) Connect and see if the CIC behaves the same. You should be able to

Regarding if it could be wiring. It's long shot but still a chance. Check the Quadlock connector on the back of the UNIT. Get Flash light to test the MOST Loop etc.
      09-02-2016, 06:11 PM   #3
ramez75
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PichaDis11 View Post
Seems your Satelite Radio Module Has failed or is on its way out. You may need to disconnect the power and MOST Cables from the unit. Then get a jumper for the most connection to close the MOST Loop. (MOST Jumper) Connect and see if the CIC behaves the same. You should be able to

Regarding if it could be wiring. It's long shot but still a chance. Check the Quadlock connector on the back of the UNIT. Get Flash light to test the MOST Loop etc.
Ok I have a MOST loop I will try what you suggested and see what I get. I didn't get what you mean by get a flash light to the MOST loop, how that works?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 04:30 AM   #4
ramez75
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

My satellite radio module is working. I subscribed and I got all the channels and all is good.

Of course the cic still freezes randomly. Anyone having this issue. It's annoying as its not timed. The CIC power up perfectly and all is good and then after like 5 to 10min I start getting the random freezes doesn't matter what menu I am on......Everything freezes for like 10 seconds or so even the cic controller doesn't respond. The freeze keeps happening as long as the car is on.....
I have been searching but not seeing anything like this.

Could it be the HDD?????

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 02:28 PM   #5
opjose
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

If it were the HDD you would indeed get the problems you describe.

A bad or failing sector caused the HDD to attempt to re-read the failing data several times.

When it does so it "holds" the data lines to the computer, so to speak.

This causes a freezing effect, where nothing seems to work.

If after several attempts the bad sectors are correctly read, normal operation seems to resume, until it either hits the same area again, or re-reads a different bad area.

The good news is that you could probably clone the existing drive to a replacement yourself and save a bundle.

While the existing HDD is out of the car, it will likely be easier for a cloning tool to read out the iffy sectors and save them to a good replacement drive.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 07:52 PM   #6
ramez75
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by opjose View Post
If it were the HDD you would indeed get the problems you describe.

A bad or failing sector caused the HDD to attempt to re-read the failing data several times.

When it does so it "holds" the data lines to the computer, so to speak.

This causes a freezing effect, where nothing seems to work.

If after several attempts the bad sectors are correctly read, normal operation seems to resume, until it either hits the same area again, or re-reads a different bad area.

The good news is that you could probably clone the existing drive to a replacement yourself and save a bundle.

While the existing HDD is out of the car, it will likely be easier for a cloning tool to read out the iffy sectors and save them to a good replacement drive.
Ok so taking the HDD out don't seem to be an issue but any recommendation on what hard drive to get and what tool to use for cloning

Also once I clone do I retain everything?

Thanks

Ramez
      10-07-2016, 02:24 AM   #7
opjose
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramez75 View Post
Ok so taking the HDD out don't seem to be an issue but any recommendation on what hard drive to get and what tool to use for cloning

Also once I clone do I retain everything?

Thanks

Ramez
Sorry for the late response, I never got a notification from the forum...

There are other threads about replacing the CIC HDD with a IDE SSD drive.
Of interest are the recommendations for drives that handle temperature extremes.

You can also likely find an almost exact replacement fairly inexpensively.

The other threads also have recommendations on free software you can use and obtaining the USB to IDE adapter you may also need.
Appreciate 0