E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Flat Black Paint, help me

03-21-2008, 03:05 PM   #1
wuufer001
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 M/T

Garage List
2006 325i  [9.34]
Flat Black Paint, help me

i sprayed my eyelid flat black already and everything looks alright but when touching it, it felt a little rough.
is there something that i should spray over it but without the shiny/glossy look? and so that maybe the paint could stay on better and not start peeling off
thanks

btw is flat black the same as matte black?
      03-26-2008, 06:16 PM   #2
wuufer001
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [9.34]
no one?
      03-26-2008, 06:21 PM   #3
Mattscott
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E90

Haha at first I literally thought you sprayed your eyelid shut. Like with paint haha. Anyways, yes flat black and matte black are the same thing. If you dont like how it feels they do sell a clear "Matte finish" at like wal-mart or home depot.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 08:02 PM   #4
Digitalinkartist
MrSixSpeed
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 Garage Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuufer001 View Post
i sprayed my eyelid flat black already and everything looks alright but when touching it, it felt a little rough.
is there something that i should spray over it but without the shiny/glossy look? and so that maybe the paint could stay on better and not start peeling off
thanks

gloss, satin and flat/matte are all different finishes.
Gloss = highly reflective
Flat/Matte = limited reflective property
Satin = something in the middle

The majority of modern day production cars are painted in 2 stages, meaning color layer and clearcoat (clears are inherently glossy unless treated with a mattifying agent/flattener)

For something as small as a eyelid, I wouldn't bother with a clear unless you have ins with a shop and can have them mix you an extremely small run of flattened clear.

In regards to the roughness, you probably need a good wet sanding.
When sanding paint or clear coats always use 1500 grit or finer sandpaper. (make sure the sandpaper is saturated with water and begin sanding. Stop and dry off the part every now and then to be sure you're not sanding through the layer being sanded. Be especially careful of ridges or sharp details. It's very easy to inadvertently sand through the paint on raised areas.

BTW clear will not prevent peeling. proper original prep/priming is the only way to insure proper adhesion.

One last thing... dont wax parts that are not clearcoated. You can use soap and water or non-ammonia based window cleaner.

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 08:29 PM   #5
shiggy
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 2009 M3

its the nature of the product......there will be a slight texture....gloss is smooth!
but who cares what it feels like.....looks are more important to you right?
2009 Jet Black E92 M3, DCT, Nav, Novillo Leather, PDC, EDC, BBS CHR's 20", Yokohama Advan Sports Tires, Eiback Pro-Kit Springs, Dinan Pullies and Dinan Stage1 software, black grills, black side gills, alcantara shift and ebrake boot.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 09:15 PM   #6
Mattscott
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalinkartist View Post
gloss, satin and flat/matte are all different finishes.
Gloss = highly reflective
Flat/Matte = limited reflective property
Satin = something in the middle

The majority of modern day production cars are painted in 2 stages, meaning color layer and clearcoat (clears are inherently glossy unless treated with a mattifying agent/flattener)

For something as small as a eyelid, I wouldn't bother with a clear unless you have ins with a shop and can have them mix you an extremely small run of flattened clear.

In regards to the roughness, you probably need a good wet sanding.
When sanding paint or clear coats always use 1500 grit or finer sandpaper. (make sure the sandpaper is saturated with water and begin sanding. Stop and dry off the part every now and then to be sure you're not sanding through the layer being sanded. Be especially careful of ridges or sharp details. It's very easy to inadvertently sand through the paint on raised areas.

BTW clear will not prevent peeling. proper original prep/priming is the only way to insure proper adhesion.

One last thing... dont wax parts that are not clearcoated. You can use soap and water or non-ammonia based window cleaner.

Good luck

Yeah, what he said.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2008, 02:09 AM   #7
wuufer001
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [9.34]
i take my car to the self high pressure car wash place, but not since i fit the eyelid on cause i am scared of the paint peeling.
i sprayed like 3 coats of flat black, is that enough?
      03-27-2008, 02:20 AM   #8
xquisit
«-·¨¯¯¨·-»
Rep
Drives: 328i / R32 / 1.8T

[QUOTE=Mattscott;2371087]Haha at first I literally thought you sprayed your eyelid shut. Like with paint haha. QUOTE]

03-27-2008, 04:12 PM   #9
karliejai
Da Kid
United_States
Rep
Drives: JetBlack e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuufer001 View Post
thanks

thats the different between getting work done at paintshop or what not. you just need to spray those EVENLY... or you can try sanding it smoother before you paint it.

taking it to the shop prolly cost you $50 and you will be happy with the result.

MODS: OEM Front Splitter | ACS Roof Spoiler | OEM Trunk Spoiler | Matt Black Front Grill | Black Shadowline Window Trim | Painted Front Lower Rod | Blacklines | JDM Yellow Fogs | Custom Silver CF Headlights with LUX 4.0 | Eisenhaus Sports Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2008, 11:52 PM   #10
ubern00b
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 325i

make sure you dont try to paint outside when it's windy. took me like 3 tries on the left eyelid lmao. but 3 layers of flat black, and 3 layers of flat clear coat. it's good so far
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 02:35 AM   #11
wuufer001
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [9.34]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubern00b View Post
make sure you dont try to paint outside when it's windy. took me like 3 tries on the left eyelid lmao. but 3 layers of flat black, and 3 layers of flat clear coat. it's good so far
holy smokes, there is something called the flat clear coat? what is that for? just for protection without any gloss? please post pics when you have time. cause i only sprayed a very thin coat of clear coat and i think it was glossy. didn't even flat clear coat existed.