E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > If you guys have a motorcycle

07-17-2006, 10:10 AM   #23
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
Sorry to hear about your loss.

I wanted a bike for years, but after having a couple friends get in accidents (thank god none were injured beyond some broken bones) I'm less inclined to get one. You could be a extremely careful and safe rider, but it doesn't matter if the cars around you aren't paying attention.

I think I'll stick to dirtbikes.
      07-17-2006, 10:11 AM   #24
hotsand5
hotsand5
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i 6spd

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimshimhada
Sorry for your loss.

I got my motorcycle permit yesterday, but I didn't sign up for being a donor. No way, they are taking me off of life support to collect my organs.

Shimshimhada, you intersted in buying a bike?

-2005 Yamaha Warrior 1700 102cu"
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2006, 10:20 AM   #25
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portal

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsand5
Shimshimhada, you intersted in buying a bike?
Eventually. I have no need for it, since I won't be riding it around this area anyway. I'm going to be signed up for the MSF course in the Fall.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2006, 11:58 AM   #26
hotsand5
hotsand5
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i 6spd

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
The MSF course taught me a lot and is worth the 20 bucks. After about a year of riding, I suggest that you try to get into the MSF advanced course. I don't know how it is by you, but over here, you have to sign up as soon as they open the classes online. They fill up that fast.

-2005 Yamaha Warrior 1700 102cu"
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2006, 12:10 PM   #27
flush01
Major
Rep
Drives: 33m@%#ing5

sorry to hear :/

and ya, i want bike so bad, but I know i will be dead sooner or later in it, you just can't go slow on a bike.... so I'll stick with cars
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2006, 12:25 PM   #28
Squawks
One of my two dachshunds:
United_States
Rep
Drives: B6 A4 3.0 Quattro

Sorry about your loss, cdheaven - another reason why folks dislike motorcycles (including Jason Williams, Arnold Schwarshengdigeer, Ben Rufflesberger). My big bro currently has a Yamaha starter bike which he claims he'll only ride on the weekends - he tries to assure everybody he'll be ok with his full-body leather with kevlar jacket, pants, gloves, and helmet. Regardless, I keep telling him that he's stupid. No offense, shim.

Veering off-topic, I would also have to agree with you shim regarding the 'donator' fiasco in today's medical world. You are right - doctors are much more inclined in cutting off your support to reap your organs which, coincidentally, the hospital will make *massive* cash in conducting those operations. It's like Christmas for them to have free organs flowing in through those doors.
      07-17-2006, 12:56 PM   #29
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawks

Veering off-topic, I would also have to agree with you shim regarding the 'donator' fiasco in today's medical world. You are right - doctors are much more inclined in cutting off your support to reap your organs which, coincidentally, the hospital will make *massive* cash in conducting those operations. It's like Christmas for them to have free organs flowing in through those doors.
Sooooooooooooooo, the fact that those organs may save the life of another is completely disregarded????? It's of no surprise to me that people try to make this a monetary issue. It's not always about money.

Case in point....

...An individual that I know was diagnosed with cancer in both lungs. He never had any symptoms prior to diagnosis. He was an avid runner, and was in great muscular shape prior to his illness becoming worse. Recently he was told that his time was short, and to start making arrangements. He was on the lung transplant list at USC, but wasn't making much progress. Out of a sheer miracle, two lungs became available for him this past week, and he had his surgery this past Friday. From one unfortunate loss comes added life for another.

Donated organs could be useful in saving the life of another human being. Some people can be so selfish and self-interested. That's the true problem with our society.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2006, 01:38 PM   #30
Squawks
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan
Donated organs could be useful in saving the life of another human being. Some people can be so selfish and self-interested. That's the true problem with our society.
Whoa whoa whoa there, buddy. Speaking a little too fast, aren't we?

"People" can be so selfish? Oh, it makes sense now - do you know how much transplant operations cost? Do you know how many people get turned down from transplants not because of organ scarcity but because they can't afford it and/or there are others willing to fork over 10X more money? Do you think doctors transplant organs for free out of goodwill?

The true problem is not among people, but among our hospital system. Ever heard about the University of Irvine, California fiasco? Where a liver-transplant hospital was literally shut down because of numerous flaws INCLUDING failure to execute multiple transplants to needy people (oh, I wonder why...)?
      07-17-2006, 01:47 PM   #31
whippersnapper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: people mad

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
You know a lot of people get killed driving cars too. And some of the posts on this board describe behaviour that certainly increases the chances of an accident. Of course motorcycles have almost non existent active safety but since the majority of you know little about them why speak out and broadcast your ignorance?

If you are interested in the performance of vehicles beyond their ability to provide simple transport (and many BMW owners would fall in this group), it is hard to see why you should be so judgemental of a vehicle (motorcycle) that performance to a whole new place that most car drivers couldn't even imagine .
      07-17-2006, 01:56 PM   #32
Squawks
United_States
Rep

whippersnapper - are you fruitlessly attempting to deny the very simple fact that your chance of having a serious injury is much, much higher if you are a motorcycle rider relative to a car driver?

You shouldn't. No matter how long you want to boast about how much safer motorcycles are today than they were before, the chances of you getting seriously injured while driving one is exponentially higher than that of driving a car.

"You know a lot of people get killed driving cars too." Oh really? I also know HIV/AIDS kill a lot of people too. And tsunamies. And lightning. Your point?
      07-17-2006, 02:13 PM   #33
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Whoa whoa whoa there, buddy. Speaking a little too fast, aren't we?

"People" can be so selfish? Oh, it makes sense now - do you know how much transplant operations cost? Do you know how many people get turned down from transplants not because of organ scarcity but because they can't afford it and/or there are others willing to fork over 10X more money? Do you think doctors transplant organs for free out of goodwill?

The true problem is not among people, but among our hospital system. Ever heard about the University of Irvine, California fiasco? Where a liver-transplant hospital was literally shut down because of numerous flaws INCLUDING failure to execute multiple transplants to needy people (oh, I wonder why...)?
Considering I work closely with the hospital, I'm quite knowledgeable about many of its inner workings, associated costs, etc. It seems as though you are attempting to make such instances the rule rather than isolated occurrences (..and judging each incident on its own merit). Of course there will be a multitude of costs associated with such a huge surgical procedure (..not to mention a lifetime of anti-rejection medications, etc.), but to suggest that a person shouldn't donate organs (..as mentioned in this thread) is selfish.

Last edited by Sedan_Clan; 07-17-2006 at 03:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2006, 02:16 PM   #34
Squawks
United_States
Rep

Then with that said, I don't think you can label people as "self-interested" or selfish for an isolated case of choosing not to donate his/her organs.

I wouldn't label Bill Gates or Warren Buffet as selfish if they choose not to be organ donators.
      07-17-2006, 02:26 PM   #35
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d 421,000kms

CD, I am truly sorry to hear about your unbelievable loss. I wish you the best in dealing with it, close friends are family, this will be hard for you.

I enjoyed a bike immensely for about 5 years and when I started my family I sold it, no regrets, and plenty of thanks that I survived it.

Appreciate 0
      07-17-2006, 03:03 PM   #36
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan
Considering I work closely with the hospital, I'm quite knowledgeable about many of its inner workings, associated costs, etc. I seems as though you are attempting to make such instances the rule rather than isolated occurrences (..and judging each incident on its own merit). Of course there will be a multitude of costs associated with such a huge surgical procedure (..not to mention a lifetime of anti-rejection medication, etc.), but to suggest that a person shouldn't donate organs (..as mentioned in this thread) is selfish.
Yes, I am selfish. I'd rather not be an organ donor, if it decreases the chances that a doctor will give up on me to save some other people for a huge profit.

Like I said, I don't know if that's the case, but you never know...how would you feel if a someone didn't try absolutely everything they could to save you to make a couple of bucks?

That being said, I guess if I were in a serious accident and I needed an organ...well, I sure hope the donor didn't have to die to save me.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2006, 03:05 PM   #37
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsand5
The MSF course taught me a lot and is worth the 20 bucks. After about a year of riding, I suggest that you try to get into the MSF advanced course. I don't know how it is by you, but over here, you have to sign up as soon as they open the classes online. They fill up that fast.
I know, I experienced how fast it gets filled up, when I checked all of the summer slots. It's not $20 anymore, it's like $150 in some places. Nonetheless, it's probably worth it tenfold.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2006, 03:05 PM   #38
Squawks
United_States
Rep

shim I think you've been watching too much Grey's Anatomy

They did have an episode though where the harvesters were eager to grab someone until that one dude Malroy realized the person is responding to stimuli while in a coma.
      07-17-2006, 03:09 PM   #39
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
shim I think you've been watching too much Grey's Anatomy

They did have an episode though where the harvesters were eager to grab someone until that one dude Malroy realized the person is responding to stimuli while in a coma.
I've never watched that show.

Okay, we need to stop getting OT in a serious thread.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2006, 03:47 PM   #40
whippersnapper
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
whippersnapper - are you fruitlessly attempting to deny the very simple fact that your chance of having a serious injury is much, much higher if you are a motorcycle rider relative to a car driver?

You shouldn't. No matter how long you want to boast about how much safer motorcycles are today than they were before, the chances of you getting seriously injured while driving one is exponentially higher than that of driving a car.

"You know a lot of people get killed driving cars too." Oh really? I also know HIV/AIDS kill a lot of people too. And tsunamies. And lightning. Your point?

The risk is about 20 times higher on average. So much for your exponential hyperbole Certainly less for a skilled rider wearing the best protective gear. Of course motorcycles have a higher risk than cars, my point being that many more people are killed and maimed everyday in cars and no-one gives it a second thought. Your comments on HIV etc are irrelevant.
      07-17-2006, 03:55 PM   #41
flush01
Major
Rep
Drives: 33m@%#ing5

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper
The risk is about 20 times higher on average. So much for your exponential hyperbole Certainly less for a skilled rider wearing the best protective gear. Of course motorcycles have a higher risk than cars, my point being that many more people are killed and maimed everyday in cars and no-one gives it a second thought. Your comments on HIV etc are irrelevant.
that's because there's 90% of cars and 10% of bikes... if you take 100,000 cars and 100,000 bikes, then there will be more bikers killed compare to cars
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2006, 03:56 PM   #42
Squawks
United_States
Rep

Thanks, flush01. Didn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out, eh?
      07-17-2006, 04:34 PM   #43
whippersnapper
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by flush01
that's because there's 90% of cars and 10% of bikes... if you take 100,000 cars and 100,000 bikes, then there will be more bikers killed compare to cars
However your maths is irrelevant because the absolute risk is related to the actual choices you make. Absolute vs. relative risk. A common mistake made by those who think themselves so clever
      07-17-2006, 05:19 PM   #44
shragon
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

sorry to hear about your loss.