E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Problem getting upper coolant line on thermostat - turbo outlet in the way

03-31-2024, 07:28 PM   #1
coxster
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 Alpineweiss 135i M-Sport

Problem getting upper coolant line on thermostat - turbo outlet in the way

A little background - posted this in the 135 forums, but no luck there:
2008 135i
Swapped stock turbos with new 17ts.
Also changed from stock inlets to relocated 2" inlets (Precision Raceworks - tight fit).
Had to get a new oil line for the rear turbo and grabbed used outlets from a 335i as the rear turbo is different between the 135i and 335i. So the setup should be just like a 335.
Putting it all back together and for some reason, there's simply not enough room between the thermostat and the turbo outlet. With the coolant quick connect snapped in, I cannot fit the thermostat between the water pump and the turbo outlet.
I did not replace the thermostat or the coolant line.
Is it possible I got a bent turbo outlet or am I possibly missing something else here or doing something wrong? I don't see any other way it will go. The pics show the view from the front right hand side looking up and back toward the rear of the engine AKA hot side.
Thanks for any help!
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UbT...ew?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UVE...ew?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1USj...ew?usp=sharing
Attached Images

Last edited by coxster; 03-31-2024 at 07:32 PM.. Reason: Hopefully links to videos
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2024, 07:09 PM   #2
coxster
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 Alpineweiss 135i M-Sport

Update

So, after not being able to figure this out, I pulled the 335i outlet and did a direct comparison to the 135i outlet. The stock 135 outlet is on the bottom and the stock 335 outlet in on the top. You can see that 135 is longer which is why it cleared the thermostat housing. I was under the impression that the 335 outlet was going to bolt on without modifications. Apparently not. Ordered VRSF outlets and some 2.5 inch silicone and a coupler, so one way or another I should be able to make it work.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0