E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Cracked BMW Alloy Wheels --- Taking legal action

02-25-2011, 07:53 AM   #375
BIGTIME
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT - Mineral White

Quote:
Originally Posted by contractor View Post
e93 335i on 19 inch 225M wheels. Slow puncture (1 bar/day) on driver's rear. 3 cracks in the wheel. It's with my dealer today who seemed positive about getting a free replacement (but wouldn't commit). Car is 3.5 yrs old, always in the dealer network and has only 16K miles on it.

I'll be ordering 4 non-RFTs later on today and dumping the bridgestone RFTs. Incidentally the tyre on the wheel in question has inside edge scuffing etc. It's the other half's car and she religiously checks her pressures fortnightly and keeps them up around 3 bar for the rears (we were aware of the general issue when we got the car last April). The other wheels/tyres are all fine.

Let's see what happens...
Firstly congrats on the missus having a 335i . I was going to change my tyres to non run flats but it seems that if they do crack then BMW won't change them if they've been runnung on non run flats.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 08:01 AM   #376
contractor
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: f15 m50d, f25 35d

I thought the cracking was due to the stiff sidewalls of the RFT transferring the energy of the car hitting bumps straight through to the alloy wheels? With that in mind, putting non RFT on the car would mean that the tyre dissipates the energy better, protecting the wheels.

Has anyone heard of people with non RFTs having cracked alloys? I haven't but am interested to find out.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 08:27 AM   #377
BIGTIME
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by contractor View Post
I thought the cracking was due to the stiff sidewalls of the RFT transferring the energy of the car hitting bumps straight through to the alloy wheels? With that in mind, putting non RFT on the car would mean that the tyre dissipates the energy better, protecting the wheels.

Has anyone heard of people with non RFTs having cracked alloys? I haven't but am interested to find out.
I think you are correct about your theory and this will reduce the chance of cracking, but people on the forum have still had cracked alloys with non run flats and BMW will use any excuse not to replace the alloys.

If I could guarantee that mine wouldn't crack with non run flats I'd change mine tomorrow even though they are only half worn.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 05:01 AM   #378
vanstmic
Rep
Drives: 335i Conv

Hi All - first post! Got my 335i with the 19inch 225M wheels in May last year. Had the tyre pressure loss indicator come on a few times and I fear I may be a victim of the dreaded cracked alloy. Does anyone know what the current BMW position is on this? IS it dealer specific? I'm booked in with Synter Canary Wharf/Harold Wood for next week.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 05:36 AM   #379
contractor
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: f15 m50d, f25 35d

Vanstmic, the dealer will do a run-out test on the wheels, send the stuff over to BMW UK and then they decide (not the dealer). If your car has been in the BMW network from new you stand a much better chance of getting the wheels replaced free of charge.

There is no official position on this from BMW, it's on a case by case basis. My other half has had hire car from BMW for the last week (paid for by BMW) due to there being non stock of 225M wheels at the moment.

If BMW refuse to pay, then you need to look into trading standards/small calims court etc. Of course, this all depends on your individual car and circumstances.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 06:33 AM   #380
dobsy
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 320d

Am I a victim?! Or is this a different issue?

Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 07:20 AM   #381
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobsy View Post
Am I a victim?! Or is this a different issue?
The cracks appear on the inner edges, usually, but not exclusively on the rear wheels.

Your problem which is different, is the lacquer cracking, your more likely to get that sorted under warranty than a cracked wheel.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 07:53 AM   #382
dobsy
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post
The cracks appear on the inner edges, usually, but not exclusively on the rear wheels.

Your problem which is different, is the lacquer cracking, your more likely to get that sorted under warranty than a cracked wheel.
Cheers-I've been onto them today-I've a month left on my AUC warranty so no doubt the excuses will start soon!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 04:07 PM   #383
Hamesy
Registered
Rep
Drives: 330Ci

Warrant replaces one but not all......

I experienced unusual wear last year that cost me £1300 to replace a set of 19" tyres.
I now have a cracked rear alloy. BMW have agreed to replace this one under warranty but not the others. I am trying to argue that as so many customers have experienced the same problem this is a saftey issue and all should be replaced.
BMW have admitted that the have rejected the last batch of alloys from their original supplier due to substandard quality and have chosen a new supplier hence the delay in getting new parts (I have been waiting 6 weeks so far and still no news). They have also admitted that 8 customers at my dealer alone have this problem.
If this is not andmission of design fault and significant issue I do not know what is!!!!
In the meantime I am reporting this as a saftey issue to the Vehicle and Operator Services Agency as a vehicle safety defect and would encourage anyone else who has this problem to do the same.
This can be done here....
http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/onlineser...cledefects.htm
Updates to follow......
Phil

Last edited by Hamesy; 03-14-2011 at 04:09 PM.. Reason: add link
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 06:32 AM   #384
BIGTIME
Lieutenant
Rep

Good call Hamesy and an interseting post. Fingers crossed they have a new supplier of the alloys so won't crack. I do love the look of 225M alloys.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 12:35 PM   #385
gav
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335i

First Post, great forum. I am in a similar position to most of you, i first had a rear wheel crack on the 19" rear back in december 2010. My car is an 07 335i that was out of full warranty but an extended warranty was taken out. BMW agreed to replace this for £98 to me. When it went in for this, they noticed the other rear had cracked and said that it would be after XMAS before they could replace it, again at a cost of £98 to me. I waited and waited for a response and they finally took my car in for replacement of the wheel on 14th Feb, upon dropping it off they said that BMW did not have any, and that i could not drive the car. They arranged a 320D rental car for me, i am still in it now. Dealership no longer returning my calls and i have no idea when i will get my car back. My question is why did they let me drive the car for the period between Dec and Feb with a dangerous cracked alloy that now cannot be driven? i wonder whether i Should also push for a refund on the charges as others seem to be having some success with FOC replacements. Still, may be i can claim that my company car has not been availble to me, so possibly claim some car tax back?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 05:45 AM   #386
LCSmith
Registered
Rep
Drives: 325d Msport Cabrio

First post for me also - great forum...Had to post to let you know my story regarding cracked 19" alloys. I'm in a 325 Msport cabrio (08) and the car went in for its first MOT last week at local garage, failed due to 4 cracks in offside rear alloy and noted as dangerous. Took it straight to Scotthall Watford (who have been pretty good to be fair) and as soon as I mentioned it they said it had been a common issue with these wheels, they did an instant diagnosis and said its a faulty wheel issue and will be replaced under warranty. He then told me that there are 1700 wheels currenlty on back order and they are coming in batches of 500 every 3 weeks so it is possible they won't have my wheel for up to 10 weeks! they have given me an Avis rental FOC (a dreadful Peugeot). I Have been calling them daily for update and I have now raised my concern about the 3 other wheels (the fact that I'm really not happy driving knowing 3 of my wheels could be faulty). I told them I'd be happy to make a 50% contribution towards a different new set of wheels which to me seems like a win /win considering they could have to keep me in a rental car for 10 weeks (£3500 at £50 a day) plus pay for a replacement wheel and possibly 3 more in the future. Will let you know what they say!...
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 10:35 AM   #387
gav
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335i

Hi,
Just been told that my company car tax cannot change as BMW have supplied me a car, now i am really annoyed. Dealership still have no idea of delivery date. Written to BMW customer service (for what its worth) to try and get the wheels FOC and some compensation towards car tax. Keep you posted if i have any luck.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 12:48 PM   #388
hlr102
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320i M sport E93

Again a similar problem to everyone else!! I have a 320i convertible (58) plate purchased as a used car on the (29th of January 2011!!) However it was purchased from a private garage and not BMW. After 3 days the run flat tyre light came on. I took the car into a tyre shop only to be told that the tyre had a puncture and would need to be replaced!! I explained that I only had the car for a couple of days, the chap removed the wheel and looked for the cracks!! He seemed to know all about these cracks and had seen 5-6 BMWS with this problem in the last 6 months!! He advised to call my local dealership (vines ) and tell them I have a problem with alloy... Vines told me that I would have to pay £450 + VAT for a new alloy...!! They would complete a ‘run out test’ on the wheel and if it proved to be faulty they would refund my £450. I had already looked on the internet and had seen the amount of people that have had this problem so I refused to pay any money. Vines then confirmed that the alloy will be replaced FOC (I was a bit worried they would not pay as I had not bought the car from a BMW garage) I have now been waiting 6 weeks and I still do not have a definite date when the car will be back on the road... After numerous e-mails to head office they have agreed to pay compensation once I have my car back on the road. I too have had hire cars from Avis (VW POLO and now a Vauxhall Astra) Hardly a comparable car to a BMW convertible!! After calling head office again today (hounding them seems the only way) I have been told the alloys are due to be sent to Germany on the 19/23/29th of March so looks like I will back on the road in April (It takes 5 days for the wheels to get to the UK from Germany apparently) So it will have taken BMW 10 weeks for 1 alloy wheel!! UNBELIVEABLE!!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 03:50 PM   #389
LCSmith
Registered
Rep

seems they will only change 1 wheel which makes me slightly worried about having 3 on the car that could also crack, warranty runs out this month so have decided to by a 'heavily (ish) discounted' set of new wheels (star spoke 199 blacks) which they will put my tyres on. Again my impatient heart has ruled my head but at least I'll be back in my car by the weekend! anyone want to buy the 3 good ones?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 04:44 PM   #390
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCSmith View Post
seems they will only change 1 wheel which makes me slightly worried about having 3 on the car that could also crack, warranty runs out this month so have decided to by a 'heavily (ish) discounted' set of new wheels (star spoke 199 blacks) which they will put my tyres on. Again my impatient heart has ruled my head but at least I'll be back in my car by the weekend! anyone want to buy the 3 good ones?

Take the wheel and sell the set on Ebay.
      03-18-2011, 04:32 AM   #391
LCSmith
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by willhollin View Post
Take the wheel and sell the set on Ebay.
Only problem is they won't replace the cracked one - part of the deal for the new set!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 05:07 AM   #392
BIGTIME
Lieutenant
Rep

I might rag my car over some pot holes and see if they'll sell me a set of 313M's for dirt cheap.

Has anyone heard from BMW to see if these new alloys are made differently, otherwise it's useless if these are going to crack as well. You may as well buy a set of different alloys at a reduced price like LCSmith has.

My rear keeps going down a few psi every week so I wouldn't be surprised if mine is cracked or I have a faulty valve.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 05:59 AM   #393
LCSmith
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGTIME View Post
I might rag my car over some pot holes and see if they'll sell me a set of 313M's for dirt cheap.

Has anyone heard from BMW to see if these new alloys are made differently, otherwise it's useless if these are going to crack as well. You may as well buy a set of different alloys at a reduced price like LCSmith has.

My rear keeps going down a few psi every week so I wouldn't be surprised if mine is cracked or I have a faulty valve.
I'd be a little worried about loosing pressure - in an update I've just been informed that I'll need 2 new rear tyres as they are crumbled on the inside due to running at low pressure - obviously this can only be seen when the tyre is off so these discounted wheels are still going to cost a fortune! will try and post pics later but I suspect the other rear also has a crack or 2 - oh joy!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 06:40 AM   #394
BIGTIME
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the info - My rear tyres should be fine as they have never dropped below 40psi as I check them all the time.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 02:23 PM   #395
Hamesy
Registered
Rep
Drives: 330Ci

BMW response......poor as usual

This is the response I recieved to my complaint about the saftey of these wheels.

I understand that you would like BMW to consider the situation regarding our alloy wheels as you are concerned about the safety of affected vehicles. Investigations have been undertaken by BMW Germany into this matter and there is no evidence to suggest that this is the case. We have tested our alloys on many occasions and they have been found to conform to strict European guidelines regarding safety.

I acknowledge that you have undertaken some research into this matter which has led you to believe that this is a common issue with our vehicles, however, we do not believe this to be the case. As stated in my previous email I have checked our systems, utilising parts orders and failure reports and there is no evidence to suggest that this is a common or inherent fault.

BMW UK prides itself on utilising the highest quality materials for our products and the last batch of alloy wheels were rejected for cosmetic quality reasons and not due to safety. I am unable to advise you how many we currently have on back order, however, I can assure you that we are working hard ensure the shipment and delivery of the wheels to the UK and your dealer will contact you as soon as they arrive.

I appreciate you will remain dissatisfied with my response, however, I can assure you that our alloy wheels have been rigorously tested on many occasions and they are not found to breach health a safety guidelines.

It's like banging your head against a brick wall

So in answer to Bigtimes question BMW say it's only a cosmetic problem but I'm not buying that!

And to hlr102 I have also been told the 29th March but I have been given so many dates for possible delivery that have been and gone that I have given up hope!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 02:54 PM   #396
SID335
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335I M SPORT

I was told by my dealer today that there are over 1000 pieces on back order !
Appreciate 0