E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California > 328i Performance Exhaust in California

01-14-2013, 05:18 PM   #1
CYM07
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 328i Coupe

328i Performance Exhaust in California

I'm thinking about getting the BMW performance exhaust for my 07 e92 328i with the n51. For those who live in California, I was wondering if any of you guys out there with the performance exhaust have had an issues with smog testing?

Since its made by BMW, I figured they would have taken emissions into consideration? I've seen that the performance exhaust requires removal of the oem secondary cat or is it a resonator on the n51? Also since the n51 is a lower emissions engine, would it be an issue? Or is there just a emissions standard limit that vehicles have in California?

Thanks in advance guys!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 05:41 PM   #2
Rollo`
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 230i

It doesn't replace cats therefore it should have no effect on your emissions.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 05:45 PM   #3
BOBKUR
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 E 90

If BMW sells it in Calif. it has to be smog legal.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2013, 04:33 PM   #4
CYM07
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo` View Post
It doesn't replace cats therefore it should have no effect on your emissions.
Thanks! I was assuming that the midpipe section contained another cat, but it seems to me that it's just a resonator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBKUR View Post
If BMW sells it in Calif. it has to be smog legal.
True, I was seeing it more as, a "do it at your own risk" type of thing

I placed my order today, can't wait to get it
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2013, 04:44 PM   #5
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

No issues. If you don't replace the cats, no issues.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2013, 06:05 PM   #6
gds52
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M Coupe, BMW 328i E93 Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYM07 View Post
Thanks! I was assuming that the midpipe section contained another cat, but it seems to me that it's just a resonator.

True, I was seeing it more as, a "do it at your own risk" type of thing

I placed my order today, can't wait to get it
congrats man. please keep this in your mind that there is some break-in period. My 328i PE got louder after around 1000-1500 miles. enjoy.
Here in NJ for state inspection they just plug in the socket to get all info. no old school exhaust monitoring.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2013, 06:14 PM   #7
Ivan@PYSpeed.com
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90

you will be fine with smog as long as you keep both cats
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 07:50 PM   #8
CYM07
Private
Rep

I plan on keeping my catalytic converters, so I'll be fine. I was initially concerned because i thought the midpipe contained a cat, but it's a resonator. Any of you guys paired this exhaust with the euro intake? I plan on getting that as well, especially after discovering that there's a charcoal filter in the oem intake. I also heard this makes the exhaust louder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gds52 View Post
congrats man. please keep this in your mind that there is some break-in period. My 328i PE got louder after around 1000-1500 miles. enjoy.
Here in NJ for state inspection they just plug in the socket to get all info. no old school exhaust monitoring.
I hope it's loud in a good way. Does it sound terrible before it's broken in? What should I expect?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 07:56 PM   #9
chazzz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 Chrysler 300S

For you Californians who don't know about the new smog law effective 1/1/2013:

AB 2289 - New Smog Check Law

Set to begin January 01, 2013; Model year 2000 and newer vehicles will no longer require the tailpipe emissions test portion of the smog check process. AB 2289 will require late model vehicles be administered the smog check's visual and functional tests only.

The implementation of AB 2289 is expected to reduce the time and cost of the smog check. The program will now take better advantage of a vehicle's OBD II technology by eliminating tailpipe testing and instead using the vehicle's own OBD II emissions monitoring system.

This new smog test system is already in place in 22 other states. "This new and improved program will have the same result as taking 800,000 old cars off the road, also resulting in a more cost effective program for California motorists." said ARB Chairman, Mary D. Nichols.

Currently California's smog check procedure requires all vehicles undergo a tailpipe emissions inspection to measure harmful pollutant output from the tailpipe, a visual inspection for present and properly installed emissions components, a functional test to insure the proper operation of various emission components; and as part of the functional test, an OBD II computer diagnostic check.

Under AB 2289, the tailpipe emissions portion of the smog inspection will be eliminated for 2000 model and newer cars, trucks, vans, and SUVs.
Background on the OBD II system - All vehicles imported into the United States as of 1996 have had to be equipped with an On Board Diagnostics system referred to as OBD II. The OBD II diagnostic system is designed to monitor all aspects of your engine's emission conditions and report this information to a central database within it's computer. This information is processed and checked against the computers pre-determined values for various input levels and performance patterns.

If any problems are found, the computer will determine whether to alert the driver or not. If a decision has been made to alert the driver of an emissions problem, the "Check Engine" or "Engine Malfunction" light will illuminate on the vehicle's dashboard. In more serious emission conditions the computer may even begin to rapidly flash the "Check Engine/Malfunction" light indicating to the driver, that the vehicle needs immediate diagnosis/repair attention.
AB 2289 now requires the smog test inspection to rely on data from a vehicle's own on board emissions computer to determine the vehicle's harmful emissions production as opposed to using a smog machine to sample the vehicle's emissions output from the tailpipe. This design is expected to reduce the cost of equipment at the smog station, reduce the amount of time it takes to smog check a vehicle, and reduce the cost of the smog inspection to the consumer.

AB 2289 - Makes changes to the following smog inspection procedures and guidelines:
A. Authorize the use of On Board Diagnostic II testing to expedite the process.

B. Vehicles known to release large amounts of pollution must test at stations with the highest performance ratings.

C. Stricter fines structure for improper inspections.

D. Permit the state to contract with the private sector to manage franchise-like networks of independently owned Smog Check stations.
E. Encourage community colleges and other training institutions to develop technician-training programs.

CURRENT - 2018 Chrysler 300S, Crystal Granite Metallic.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 07:56 PM   #10
JS82
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 328i 6MT Jet Black

It sounds great from the start and gets a little louder after broken in.
After a year with mine I still love to open my driver'a side window and listen to the beautiful exhaust note.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 08:41 AM   #11
gds52
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M Coupe, BMW 328i E93 Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYM07 View Post
I plan on keeping my catalytic converters, so I'll be fine. I was initially concerned because i thought the midpipe contained a cat, but it's a resonator. Any of you guys paired this exhaust with the euro intake? I plan on getting that as well, especially after discovering that there's a charcoal filter in the oem intake. I also heard this makes the exhaust louder?

I hope it's loud in a good way. Does it sound terrible before it's broken in? What should I expect?
no its not terrible at all.
it may not be that loud....like many other cars.
but it sounds real sweet and classy.
when you cruise normally it doesnt sound much, when you rev up it sounds good.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 10:21 AM   #12
bernard54321
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 328I E90

Garage List
2006 Bmw 330i  [0.00]
2009 328I E90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazzz View Post

Set to begin January 01, 2013; Model year 2000 and newer vehicles will no longer require the tailpipe emissions test portion of the smog check process. AB 2289 will require late model vehicles be administered the smog check's visual and functional tests only.

The implementation of AB 2289 is expected to reduce the time and cost of the smog check. The program will now take better advantage of a vehicle's OBD II technology by eliminating tailpipe testing and instead using the vehicle's own OBD II emissions monitoring system.

This new smog test system is already in place in 22 other states. "This new and improved program will have the same result as taking 800,000 old cars off the road, also resulting in a more cost effective program for California motorists." said ARB Chairman, Mary D. Nichols.

Currently California's smog check procedure requires all vehicles undergo a tailpipe emissions inspection to measure harmful pollutant output from the tailpipe, a visual inspection for present and properly installed emissions components, a functional test to insure the proper operation of various emission components; and as part of the functional test, an OBD II computer diagnostic check.

Under AB 2289, the tailpipe emissions portion of the smog inspection will be eliminated for 2000 model and newer cars, trucks, vans, and SUVs.
Background on the OBD II system - All vehicles imported into the United States as of 1996 have had to be equipped with an On Board Diagnostics system referred to as OBD II. The OBD II diagnostic system is designed to monitor all aspects of your engine's emission conditions and report this information to a central database within it's computer. This information is processed and checked against the computers pre-determined values for various input levels and performance patterns.

If any problems are found, the computer will determine whether to alert the driver or not. If a decision has been made to alert the driver of an emissions problem, the "Check Engine" or "Engine Malfunction" light will illuminate on the vehicle's dashboard. In more serious emission conditions the computer may even begin to rapidly flash the "Check Engine/Malfunction" light indicating to the driver, that the vehicle needs immediate diagnosis/repair attention.
AB 2289 now requires the smog test inspection to rely on data from a vehicle's own on board emissions computer to determine the vehicle's harmful emissions production as opposed to using a smog machine to sample the vehicle's emissions output from the tailpipe. This design is expected to reduce the cost of equipment at the smog station, reduce the amount of time it takes to smog check a vehicle, and reduce the cost of the smog inspection to the consumer.

AB 2289 - Makes changes to the following smog inspection procedures and guidelines:

B. Vehicles known to release large amounts of pollution must test at stations with the highest performance ratings.

D. Permit the state to contract with the private sector to manage franchise-like networks of independently owned Smog Check stations.
E. Encourage community colleges and other training institutions to develop technician-training programs.

where did you find this information.... because as far as i know its been a rumor and nothing has changed in the smog check procedure yet.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 11:10 AM   #13
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

BMW PE!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 09:29 PM   #14
CYM07
Private
Rep

This might be a silly question but, with for the "break in" period of the exhaust, there's not recommended rev limit is there?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 12:54 AM   #15
chazzz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 Chrysler 300S

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernard54321 View Post
where did you find this information.... because as far as i know its been a rumor and nothing has changed in the smog check procedure yet.
Google "AB2289 smog" and you'll find lots of info about it. This isn't a rumor.

CURRENT - 2018 Chrysler 300S, Crystal Granite Metallic.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 08:13 PM   #16
Anthonyv335is
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw 335is and M5

Thought this was a fs post looking for one too for 330i
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 08:21 PM   #17
Spensaur
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 328i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazzz View Post

wooohoooo. Sounds like I can pass with my secondary cat delete
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2013, 02:34 AM   #18
CYM07
Private
Rep

Got it installed!

I got my exhaust installed the other day

So while driving home from the muffler shop, I wasn't too sure about my purchase, but that soon changed. At first, the exhaust just didn't sound too good, especially from the driver's seat, but wasn't too worried because I knew you had to give it time to break in.

Later that day, I installed the Euro Intake into my car, and I feel that makes a difference to the sound of the exhaust, especially at the lower RPMS. It didnt sound as congested and rumbling, but now sounded more throaty and sporty. I've been noticing too each time i drive the car, the exhaust is starting to sound better and better when i rev it past 3K, so I can't wait to hear the true sound of it when it's broken in.

One thing I love about the exhaust is that you still have the combination of luxury and sport. The exhaust is still as quiet as stock at idle and below 3K (when the windows are closed), but when you rev it past 3K, the car finally sounds sporty, like a BMW should. I still can't understand why bmw made the e92 naturally aspirated engines/ exhausts so quiet, especially compared to e46s. This is after all a BMW, not a Mercedes, and coming to think of it, the stock exhausts on c300s are quite sporty too...
Appreciate 0